• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
New Origin song

You'll never guess what it sounds like

shit obviously...its like they followed that sonic meme and went a long with it during songwriting...
Gotta-go-fast.gif

terrible song overall

shit obviously...its like they followed that sonic meme and went a long with it during songwriting...
Gotta-go-fast.gif

terrible song overall
I enjoy them live but their recorded output does little for me. I think this song is ight but it definitely just kind of drones on the samey sections

oldboss

Been listening to Drudkh, Mgla, Batushka, Deathspell Omega non-stop for the past 4 months. Started introducing a bit of variation with Immolation, but first four are just too good to let go of so abruptly.

Got any similar recommendations?

Been listening to Drudkh, Mgla, Batushka, Deathspell Omega non-stop for the past 4 months. Started introducing a bit of variation with Immolation, but first four are just too good to let go of so abruptly.

Got any similar recommendations?
As far as Drudkh/Mgla go:
Hate Forest (members of Drudkh, dudes have a bunch of awesome projects. Blood Of Kingu and Rattenfanger are different but equally rad)

oldboss

Thanks guys. Had already heard of Hate Forest as well as Cult of fire, never gave them a listen until now.

Blood of Kingu and Rattenfänger are completely new to me.

Thanks guys. Had already heard of Hate Forest as well as Cult of fire, never gave them a listen until now.

Blood of Kingu and Rattenfänger are completely new to me.
Blood Of Kingu is great and probably closer to what you're looking for (I prefer Hate Forest but it's still cool)

Rattenfanger is just the absolute heaviest death imaginable. So killer and deserving of way more recognition. Carries the same sensibilities as their other projects, with a focus on crush/ugliness over prettier soundscapes

Epistolae, Obscurorum, Virorum

oldboss

Blood Of Kingu is great and probably closer to what you're looking for (I prefer Hate Forest but it's still cool)

Rattenfanger is just the absolute heaviest death imaginable. So killer and deserving of way more recognition. Carries the same sensibilities as their other projects, with a focus on crush/ugliness over prettier soundscapes

Epistolae, Obscurorum, Virorum

Listened to Rattenfänger today, and ... holy wow. I wasn't expecting that. Sublime. I'm pretty sure this'll be the only thing I'll be listening to this week.

Kaladin

Opeth recorded their show at Red Rocks last week.

18449563_10155350424323410_4786491524377055712_o.jpg

Fuck. Yes.

Setlist according to Setlist.FM

Sorceress
Ghost of Perdition
Demon of the Fall
The Wilde Flowers
In My Time of Need
The Devil's Orchard
Cusp of Eternity
Heir Apparent
Era
Deliverance

bebop242

Hmmm. Check out Ghost Reveries for more modern Opeth, and Still Life for Opeth more related to what you've just heard.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Opeth recorded their show at Red Rocks last week.

18449563_10155350424323410_4786491524377055712_o.jpg

Fuck. Yes.

Setlist according to Setlist.FM

Sorceress
Ghost of Perdition
Demon of the Fall
The Wilde Flowers
In My Time of Need
The Devil's Orchard
Cusp of Eternity
Heir Apparent
Era
Deliverance

Saw this set in Chicago a few days earlier. Not too familiar with Opeth (yet) but it was a great show. I heard a rumor saying Gojira taped thier set at Red Rocks as well. I'm hoping for a blu ray for both.

Taake and Grave Miasma are playing Sydney next month. I might have posted about it here before, I can't remember.

I'm kinda keen to go but I don't really care about Taake. I really want to see Grave Miasma though. Not sure what to do yet.

I've still got an original pressing of the Goat Molestor tape before they became Grave Miasma. Been a fan for a long time. Most of my friends will be seeing them in Hobart at the Dark Mofo fest so I might have to fly solo. Not sure what I will do yet. When I go to gigs on my own I usually meet people and those nights probably shave years off my life.

I guess we'll see.

Kaladin

Between the buried and me doing a colors 10 year anniversary tour finally announced, very excited about this tour.

https://www.facebook.com/BTBAMofficial/posts/10155445006813189:0

Also, September is looking great for concerts for me.

2nd- Haken
23rd- between the buried and me
24th- Roger Waters

Gonna be a packed month for me.

A whole week of shows in FL and GA and every one of them on a work night. The one I could conceivably make is on a Sunday night, but it's a 4 hour drive with a time zone change so that would be crazy going to work Monday morning.

Taake and Grave Miasma are playing Sydney next month. I might have posted about it here before, I can't remember.

I'm kinda keen to go but I don't really care about Taake. I really want to see Grave Miasma though. Not sure what to do yet.

I've still got an original pressing of the Goat Molestor tape before they became Grave Miasma. Been a fan for a long time. Most of my friends will be seeing them in Hobart at the Dark Mofo fest so I might have to fly solo. Not sure what I will do yet. When I go to gigs on my own I usually meet people and those nights probably shave years off my life.

I guess we'll see.
If you want to see them go! There's no excuse for not going yourself (unless you have no way there). Even if you go and don't talk to anyone, who cares you're there for the bands

Taake is fun live but if you already don't care for them I doubt it'll change your opinion

If you want to see them go! There's no excuse for not going yourself (unless you have no way there). Even if you go and don't talk to anyone, who cares you're there for the bands

Taake is fun live but if you already don't care for them I doubt it'll change your opinion

It isn't that I don't like Taake, and I would stick around to see them. Just makes it a bit more pricey of a night. On the other hand I'll probably be in Sydney to study that night anyways..

I'm cool with going and not talking to people. I usually have people approach me to hang out before/after shows (despite admittedly looking a big, scary person). I almost always end up meeting people and going somewhere to drink and hang out after shows, thats kinda what I'm worried about though, heh. Usually ends up pretty hellish (and I have some pretty terrible stories).

I'll almost certainly end up going.

I had an awesome night drinking with the vocalist of this band last weekend, and I didn't know him at all
apart from through a wrestling fan group
. Not really metal and not usually my cup of tea, but I can still get into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5iyIqkRdZ0

It isn't that I don't like Taake, and I would stick around to see them. Just makes it a bit more pricey of a night. On the other hand I'll probably be in Sydney to study that night anyways..

I'm cool with going and not talking to people. I usually have people approach me to hang out before/after shows (despite admittedly looking a big, scary person). I almost always end up meeting people and going somewhere to drink and hang out after shows, thats kinda what I'm worried about though, heh. Usually ends up pretty hellish (and I have some pretty terrible stories).

I'll almost certainly end up going.

I had an awesome night drinking with the vocalist of this band last weekend, and I didn't know him at all
apart from through a wrestling fan group
. Not really metal and not usually my cup of tea, but I can still get into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5iyIqkRdZ0
Wrestling fan group? What a mark. (I get where you're coming from though, haha)

The Dead Rats sound cool.

Being from Australia, are you a fan of Nocturnal Graves and Kromosom at all? Love both of em, also two bands I'm grateful I was able to catch at Maryland Deathfest that will likely never come to Chicago.....

Wrestling fan group? What a mark. (I get where you're coming from though, haha)

The Dead Rats sound cool.

Being from Australia, are you a fan of Nocturnal Graves and Kromosom at all? Love both of em, also two bands I'm grateful I was able to catch at Maryland Deathfest that will likely never come to Chicago.....

I've seen both bands a few times and enjoy them, yeah. Vocalist of Nocturnal Graves used to run a pretty great label and distro 10 or so years ago called Apocalyptor Records.

bebop242

Between the buried and me doing a colors 10 year anniversary tour finally announced, very excited about this tour.

https://www.facebook.com/BTBAMofficial/posts/10155445006813189:0

Also, September is looking great for concerts for me.

2nd- Haken
23rd- between the buried and me
24th- Roger Waters

Gonna be a packed month for me.

I REALLY want to see this but I'm already going to a show the same day they are in Chicago. Just bought Colors cd (studio and live) about a month ago and listen to it daily. Might try and travel to a dif stop.

I've seen both bands a few times and enjoy them, yeah. Vocalist of Nocturnal Graves used to run a pretty great label and distro 10 or so years ago called Apocalyptor Records.

nice bit of trivia there. Good on that guy for releasing Throneum and Frozen Shadows stuff. Also Entasis is some great, grimy old school black/death from your parts.

btw I was a huge fan of Goat Molestör as well. Realm of Evoked Doom is still probably one of my most played EPs of all time. This Tomb Is My Altar, what a fucking track.

nice bit of trivia there. Good on that guy for releasing Throneum and Frozen Shadows stuff. Also Entasis is some great, grimy old school black/death from your parts.

btw I was a huge fan of Goat Molestör as well. Realm of Evoked Doom is still probably one of my most played EPs of all time. This Tomb Is My Altar, what a fucking track.

I'll check out Entasis, I'm not familiar with them.

Yeah I liked all of GM material, I like a lot of Grave Miasma stuff too, but I felt like Endless Pilgrimage was kind of hit or miss.

I don't know if it is funny or not, but this was one of the first Australian 'underground' releases I really got into. I think it was published in 2002 or 2003. So I would've been 15 or 16 at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7l4DiBgydo

But the label I picked it up from locally at the time put out a bunch of stuff too, so it kind of opened me up to other stuff like Lust from Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vf06V8PMd8

Regiruler

I've never had Amazon deliver an album early before. Neat. (the dragonforce album comes out tomorrow, unexpectedly got it today)

Although not having the metadata out yet kinda sucks.

I'll check out Entasis, I'm not familiar with them.

Yeah I liked all of GM material, I like a lot of Grave Miasma stuff too, but I felt like Endless Pilgrimage was kind of hit or miss.

I don't know if it is funny or not, but this was one of the first Australian 'underground' releases I really got into. I think it was published in 2002 or 2003. So I would've been 15 or 16 at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7l4DiBgydo

But the label I picked it up from locally at the time put out a bunch of stuff too, so it kind of opened me up to other stuff like Lust from Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vf06V8PMd8

yeah Entasis is killer, very death metal forward bestial stuff. Similar to Corpse Molestation (pre-Bestial Warlust) if you're familiar. Their compilation CD was recently reissued and more material was added, so I'm gonna pick it up for sure.

nothing wrong with Misery's Omen btw. But it is funny that you mention Lust. When I was getting into more non-war metal bands from Canada, I almost found Lust to be too extreme haha. I was mostly absorbing stuff like Rites of Thy Degringolade, Axis of Advance, and Sacramentary Abolishment stuff.

Gray Matter

I'm gonna cry... BTBAM show in NYC sold out before I could buy my ticket now I have to go to the show in Boston. I wouldn't care, but that same day I have tickets to go see roger waters. The schedule was perfect, but oh well, now to find a buyer for my roger waters ticket.

I'm gonna cry... BTBAM show in NYC sold out before I could buy my ticket now I have to go to the show in Boston. I wouldn't care, but that same day I have tickets to go see roger waters. The schedule was perfect, but oh well, now to find a buyer for my roger waters ticket.

Damn it sold out that quickly in NYC? Crazy.

yeah Entasis is killer, very death metal forward bestial stuff. Similar to Corpse Molestation (pre-Bestial Warlust) if you're familiar. Their compilation CD was recently reissued and more material was added, so I'm gonna pick it up for sure.

nothing wrong with Misery's Omen btw. But it is funny that you mention Lust. When I was getting into more non-war metal bands from Canada, I almost found Lust to be too extreme haha. I was mostly absorbing stuff like Rites of Thy Degringolade, Axis of Advance, and Sacramentary Abolishment stuff.

Yeah, I'm into Corpse Molestation/Bestial Warlust. I'll track the comp down.

I still like Misery's Omen well enough. Hope Dies was a good album, I waited years for it to come out. I think my favorite material of theirs is still from the demo and EP though.

And yeah, haha Lust is pretty extreme. I bought a shirt off him a LONG time ago and for some reason, all the merch he sold ALWAYS had the sleeves cut off. They weren't just printed without sleeves, they were manually cut off. I still don't know why. Rites of thy Degringolade are fucking killer. I need to pick up the Arch Spatial compilation, I have been trying to get their demo material for fucking EVER.

Speaking of Sacramentary Abolishment though, Reassessment of Preliminary Defensive Procedures from River of Corticone is one of my favorite death/funeral dooms tracks ever. Which is kinda odd for obvious reasons.

Top Bottom