• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help, I'm stuck in Diablo III.

I can't decide which class to choose. It's my first time playing a Diablo game. Which class feels the least repetitive? The most fun? Which is best for beginners?

So much to consider! I had to walk away.

sazzy

I can't decide which class to choose. It's my first time playing a Diablo game. Which class feels the least repetitive? The most fun? Which is best for beginners?

witch doctor

even if you play alone, you're never alone, because your minions are always around you!

Skelter

Banned
Since this is your first time playing I'm going to assume you're not playing a seasonal. hardcore, or on T10 or something.

Play which ever class looks most appealing to you. The leveling process itself is pretty much all about learning how your class works. It takes no time.

As for my picks, Wizard is fun as hell. I also really like the Barbarian.

Easy, install Diablo II and play a Sorceress

Diablo II belongs back in 2000.

Ricker

witch doctor

even if you play alone, you're never alone, because your minions are always around you!

Yep,thats what I did when I played,fun guy...I mean throwing toads all over the place that poison,explode etc etc... ;)

I feel sorry that d3 is your intro to diablo. God speed

Also pick sorc in d2

D3 doesnt matter, whatever class seems fun and cool to you

witch doctor

See, I plan on playing alone and was gonna go with that, but then I read it's a highly repetitive class. Is it all minion gameplay or do you have your own attacks/spells/whatever. I don't want the gameplay to consist of pressing a button and watching minions do all the work.

OVDRobo

Any class is decent as long as you enjoy the way it feels. Aside from at the higher levels, there's no specific way to play a class so you can just choose the abilities that make it fun for you and switch up if things start getting stale.

I'd say the easiest classes to play are either of the two Strength classes - Barbarian or Crusader - since they can take more hits than the others.

Witch Doctor is a little over-reliant on summoning a horde of AI to do most of the work for you and Demon Hunter is all about pew-pew with crossbows, but other than that, I'd say most of the classes are versatile enough in how they can be used that they don't become repetitive.

If you have trouble deciding between a couple, play them up to mid-level 20 or 30ish to get a good feel for how they play and their abilities and then make a decision.

Diablo 2 was monumental, but Diablo 3 is a great game. Don't let the dour bring down your disposition going in. Every time I see it or get back into it feels so good to be back.

Demon Hunter will keep you on your toes as a "relative" glass cannon and provide a variety of ways to play with different builds later down the line imo. Lot of manual attacking and moving.

Backlogger

I would just try a few of them. They are all fun honestly. On the PC I had a monk, barbarian, and wizard. On the PS4 I have a Paladin.

Olli128

As someone who has maxed all classes: choose whatever, they're all fun and none feel weak.

Edit: Actually I didn't like monk much but I've never liked monks in any rpg

They're all pretty boring for the levelling process since you don't have any of the cool stuff to reduce cooldowns, spam spenders etc. I will say barbarian is especially boring to level up. Try one of the ranged classes

TheYanger

Honestly, they're all going to feel rote for the first good while your first time out, the levelling process is probably not THAT slow but as a newbie it's going to be slower for sure, and they really drip feed your abilities. Crusader is LITERALLY going to be slow, barbarians will feel resource starved, demon hunters will feel squishy, etc. Just know that it will speed up a lot once you start learning how to play Diablo for 'real' (IE: not levelling).

Hoo-doo

Banned
Crusader has you feeling the most powerful, in my opinion. It's a great all-round class.

In fact, the only class I disliked was monk, even though that was my first character.

fernoca

First playthrough was as a monk. Fun. And he still shoots sfuff so is not like it's punches and kicks.

Wizard was my second and was a blast since you can shoot non stop lasers that cover the whole screen. XD

Was my first Diablo game too.

Xilo

Crusader is a great first choice, but no matter what you pick it will be a cake walk. Diablo 3 's easiness almost makes it no fun.

sazzy

Yep,thats what I did when I played,fun guy...I mean throwing toads all over the place that poison,explode etc etc... ;)

i used to have leaping spiders, 3 exploding dogs, the garangutan and an army of fetishes all around the screen all the time lol

First playthrough was as a monk. Fun. And he still shoots sfuff so is not like it's punches and kicks.

Wizard was my second and was a blast since you can shoot non stop lasers that cover the whole screen. XD

Was my first Diablo game too.

I was kinda settling on Barbarian or Monk, but

i played a Demon hunter and it basically made the game a twin stick shooter. highly recommended.

sounds super cool.

Crusader is a great first choice, but no matter what you pick it will be a cake walk. Diablo 3 's easiness almost makes it no fun.
Crusader is what I picked and I had a lot of great fun.

Pro tip for the OP, Select Elective mode! It wasn't until post-game I realised that was an option and it got so much more enjoyable to play when I wasn't so restricted in choices.

Oh and L2 is for locking on..Learnt that on my hardcore playthrough at level 50 >>;;

Arttemis

Play whatever you think looks the coolest. There's no wrong choice. It'll take a hundred hours or more before you've gotten a whole set for your max level character, and you'll be earning paragon points while farming that set, so you'll be improving the base stats of your inevitable next character.

What IS important, though, is this:

Enable Advanced Tooltips. Now, you can see exactly what kind of damage bonuses you get from each skill, and more item information.

Enable Elective Mode. With this, you can combine any variety of skills you want, not just one skill from each category. Barbarian is one of my favorite classes because I use Leap and Furious Chrage (with cooldown reduction rune) to continuously move around without having to wait for cooldowns. Normally, you'd have to choose between those two skills, but with Elective Mode, I use them both.

Skelter

Banned
What an awful mentality. Diablo III is a good game, but Diablo II is a great game. Age hasn't hurt it in the slightest.

Diablo 2 is a great game but age has definitely hurt it. Just a few things from the top of my head. I'm sure if there is a Diablo 2 HD/remaster Blizzard would definitely address some of these things.

• Builds can't be reset, if you mess up your character it's GG - time to roll a new character.
  • Leveling is extremely grindy - it will take FAR longer to reach max level than it does in D3 (even assuming you solo level in D3 and take your time).
  • Endgame has far less content - enjoy doing Baal runs for the next 1000 hours trying to get gear
  • No smart loot, no increased drop rates, etc - it's a LOT harder to get decent gear and without people to loot share or trade with it's going to take you an age to get anything decent

Recall

Play whatever you think looks the coolest. There's no wrong choice. It'll take a hundred hours or more before you've gotten a whole set for your max level character, and you'll be earning paragon points while farming that set, so you'll be improving the base stats of your inevitable next character.

What IS important, though, is this:

Enable Advanced Tooltips. Now, you can see exactly what kind of damage bonuses you get from each skill, and more item information.

Enable Elective Mode. With this, you can combine any variety of skills you want, not just one skill from each category. Barbarian is one of my favorite classes because I use Leap and Furious Chrage (with cooldown reduction rune) to continuously move around without having to wait for cooldowns.

This is this most important post in this thread by far.

anothertech

Wizard is my fav for starting out. Great damage and control at first, then when you figure stuff out you become a damage god in the end.

A little squishy tho, as it should be.

Lt.Chips

I only played as the Crusader, not only he is super powerful (didn't die once on normal difficulty), but even the cutscenes make you feel like a total badass.

His self-confidence is off the charts, and because of that, it's such a huge departure from Diablo 1, where the atmosphere was thick with hopelessness and despair (rightfully so, considering THE Demon has arrived).

In any case, if you want to feel empowered, go for the Crusader.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
OP, for a serious answer:

- Wizard is/was my main class for most of my experience with D3, but not anymore. The best builds for the wizard right now I don't find fun.

- Crusader is a nice all-around class. It was my alt class, but it's still good now.

- Right now, I'd advise you to play the Monk. It's really good all-around, with a very satisfying feeling when you punch enemies to death, and it's got the best build variety of all classes.

Otherwise, pick whichever looks the most fun to you.

Top Bottom