• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Museum on Switch

CazTGG

Kind of which Splatterhouse 2 & 3 were included but I suppose those are console titles rather than arcade machines (most of which saw supports) and they'll save the former for Namco Museum Vol. 2.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This title has 10 games and we already know what all of them are. As cool as it would be to get a collection with 40+ games, that's clearly not going to happen.

Pacman is nearly 40 years old. Many of these games are at least 30 years old. Assuming these are all running off an emulator and haven't had millions of man hours careful polishing, then 10 games is fucking laughable. I bet they put more effort into carefully choosing the minimum number and range of games per volume to press as many peoples' buttons with 'oh I loved that one game but not so much the rest..', than they do on the actual engineering to get these working.

And we'll still buy them, and namco will laugh at us, and we'll buy volume 2.

Monumma

The Tate potential of the Switch is something that I'd not thought of before. Does the stand work in that orientation, or is thus something we'd have to kludge?

Sadly it's the second. I am looking into cases that have their own stand but as of now nothing I like came to my eyes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh my ... Nope, I can't justify a switch for just two old arcade games...

As much as I hate the idea of so few old games in a compilation, I'm pretty fond of Galaga '88 and Sky Kid - and Rollign Thunder is one of my childhood alll time favourites. I'm doomed to buy at almost any price

MilkyJoe

As much as I hate the idea of so few old games in a compilation, I'm pretty fond of Galaga '88 and Sky Kid - and Rollign Thunder is one of my childhood alll time favourites. I'm doomed to buy at almost any price

I feel your pain, but I will remain strong.

Neff

Please no, we've moved past the PlayStation era. I can't believe it's 2017 and we still haven't gotten a definitive Namco Museum. Every single one has the same shtick of adding an obscure game or two along with the glaring exclusion of something that should be expected like Ms. Pac-Man or Tower of Druaga. I'm hoping this one bucks the trend since it's been a good 7 years since the last entry (3 if you count Pac-Man Museum, I suppose) but I'm not holding my breath.

You're never going to see Taito or Capcom-like collections from Namco like we did on PS2 with an exhaustive abundance of games. The Namco Museum series is a franchise in itself and they know it. They always sell well due to the fact that their early arcade titles are more iconic than most.

Surprise! From the US Boxart thread:

98sep9hqlk0x14i08_1po1_icu8jz0.png

Also the PR says it's $29.99 USD! :D

Physical and a good price? Can't argue with that.

We all need to buy this so we get a Volume 2, with that game and more.

If they left out Mappy and Xevious I'm sure we're getting another pack at some point.

dawid

Man this makes me wish for proper emulation possibilities on the switch. It's gonna be big for hardware sales for Nintendo once/if it happens.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Rolling Thunder 2!!! Oh yeah! With all the nickel and diming for old arcade games I was worried we'd never see a collection like this again! Thank you Namco

styl3s

$10 too much. Especially for the amount of games included.
I would hate to see your reaction to what VC titles are going to cost if you think $3 a game is too much.

$30 is a reasonable price for this collection and it's even better if you live in the US and have Prime/GCU making it $24.99.

It won't sell enough, Namco will consider no interest in retro games and we'll never see a volume 2. Once again as predicted, the same damn games over and over again with one or 2 variations (Splatterhouse and RollingThunder 2). These retro collections never get to the great late 80's/90's games that are retro for the current age of most gamers, Only Taito Memories did and that never gets rereleased on anything.

How long until we get another Capcom collection (split up by DLC) starting with 1942, Ghosts and Goblins and Pirate Ship Higemaru again?

kubev

Oh, nice! I'll probably pick this up for the Rolling Thunder games. I was just thinking about that series a while back.

dock

I'm in for SkyKid, but only if they give me an option to play without a gigantic 'marquee' border on the screen.

Imagine if movies tried to put themed artwork in the black borders?!

I really hate that crap. Just give me black borders.

Surprise! From the US Boxart thread:

98sep9hqlk0x14i08_1po1_icu8jz0.png

Also the PR says it's $29.99 USD! :D

This took me from pretty interested to must buy! I already have Pac-Man and Galaga on PS4 and they look like near identical versions but I'm in for it being physical and Splatterhouse! Sad at the lack of Ms Pac-Man.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It won't sell enough, Namco will consider no interest in retro games and we'll never see a volume 2. Once again as predicted, the same damn games over and over again with one or 2 variations (Splatterhouse and RollingThunder 2). These retro collections never get to the great late 80's/90's games that are retro for the current age of most gamers, Only Taito Memories did and that never gets rereleased on anything.

How long until we get another Capcom collection (split up by DLC) starting with 1942, Ghosts and Goblins and Pirate Ship Higemaru again?

Both Rolling Thunders and Splatterhouse are late '80s, early '90s titles. I agree that there needs to be more new entries though. I'd love to see some early 3D titles like Ridge Racer and Tekken included at some point.

davidmt

I hope there are options for increasing the screen size. PacMan and Galaga look so tiny on that screen. I know aspect-ratio and all that but.

JoeBoy101

Considering I'm primarily doing the Switch for the Nindies, I'll bit on this for $30. A bit more than I'd like, but for true arcade Galaga, Pac-Man, and Dig Dug on a portable?

Yeah, I'll bite.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hope there are options for increasing the screen size. PacMan and Galaga look so tiny on that screen. I know aspect-ratio and all that but.

they are a bit silly. Why wouldn't you at least maximise the vertical window so you only have borders on the left/right?

Where the fuck is my Rally-X namco? I need my Rally-X

Did you ever play Namco Museum Remix on Wii? That Namco museum in addition to arcade classics had new "remix" versions of arcade titles that were in full 3D and starred Pac-Man. There was a Rally X Remix though the original Rallh X wasn't included.

The later expanded version called Namco Museum Megamix did include both Rally X and New Rally X.

Kind of which Splatterhouse 2 & 3 were included but I suppose those are console titles rather than arcade machines (most of which saw supports) and they'll save the former for Namco Museum Vol. 2.

The 2010 reboot had all three as unlockables.

I can't really ever remember there being retro console titles in these Namco Museums. I think they're for arcade releases.

Z..

The more times passes the less value these hold for higher prices. Compilations used to be great value...

pswii60

I can't believe how many times Namco has re-released their Namco Museum collection. I remember buying it for my Dreamcast.

The more times passes the less value these hold for higher prices. Compilations used to be great value...
This is still a good value. The only time you'd be able to buy all of those games for the same price individually is on sale.

Cpt_Cabal

Neo Member
If there's one game that'd benefit from BC on Xbox One/Scorpio, it'd be the Splatterhouse reboot.

Criminally underrated, IMO; especially if you know the entire story behind the making of it.

Option-

I can´t justify paying 30 bucks for this when I pay 40 bucks for Horizon used but in perfect condition at amazon from my trusted retailer.

These switch prices are crazy what´s going on with the nintendo tax?!

jonno394

I can´t justify paying 30 bucks for this when I pay 40 bucks for Horizon used but in perfect condition at amazon from my trusted retailer.

If you can wait weeks like you seem to have done with Horizon I bet you'll be able to find this used for $20.

Option-

If you can wait weeks like you seem to have done with Horizon I bet you'll be able to find this used for $20.

Yeah, like to work on my backlog before hopping on every new game. Will also definetly enjoy 2013 Payday in sub 720p and for only 59,99 witch "huge amount of content".

I don´t know who Nintendo is targeting with these prices. I´m not against the "value" of games, but if you wan to succeed as a mobile console, you better be competing with IOS prices, as sad as it is.

Switch sells with Mario, Zelda etc. and everything that adds on like Rayman, Old school Collections shouldn´t be a bite in the sour apple price-wise unless you really want to scare families, kids and Nintedo fans off.

You can always make higher prices but Switch Momentum will only last that long.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This might sound silly, but can we rotate the Switch's screen so we can have vertical mode take up more room?

Yeah, like to work on my backlog before hopping on every new game. Will also definetly enjoy 2013 Payday in sub 720p and for only 59,99 witch "huge amount of content".

I don´t know who Nintendo is targeting with these prices. I´m not against the "value" of games, but if you wan to succeed as a mobile console, you better be competing with IOS prices, as sad as it is.

Switch sells with Mario, Zelda etc. and everything that adds on like Rayman, Old school Collections shouldn´t be a bite in the sour apple price-wise unless you really want to scare families, kids and Nintedo fans off.

You can always make higher prices but Switch Momentum will only last that long.

I like how it took one simple reply to set you off on a huge fucking Nintendo rant. They're not even the developer or publisher of this compilation.

You were okay waiting to buy a second hand copy of Horizon for cheap, surely you can do the same here? Or just stick with your mobile phone games for a dollar or whatever?

Aww I love the box art. Price is nice as well! Might have to pick this up.

I...wait what?

This is nonsense

Dude this would have been 30 bucks on any system.

hatchx

Banned
I wonder if Nintendo is stalling on Virtual Console to give games like this, SF2, and all the Neo Geo games some love and attention.

Option-

I like how it took one simple reply to set you off on a huge fucking Nintendo rant. They're not even the developer or publisher of this compilation.

You were okay waiting to buy a second hand copy of Horizon for cheap, surely you can do the same here? Or just stick with your mobile phone games for a dollar or whatever?

I like how Nintendo Fanboys (or Xbox, Or PS4, or Steam) instantly get offendeed when doing a critical remark.

The prices are crazy on Switch, everybody knows that and they probably will go down the more games get released. But until then, banishing people who seek for a change next to Zelda and Mario Kart the next 5 months is the wrong way from a market perspective.

This game would release at the same price only to go down to 20$ in one month on PS4, Xbox but not on Switch (look how long it took them to offer savings regularly in the eshop in the 3DS/ Wii U era (hint: long))

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Both Rolling Thunders and Splatterhouse are late '80s, early '90s titles. I agree that there needs to be more new entries though. I'd love to see some early 3D titles like Ridge Racer and Tekken included at some point.
Agreed. I'd like to see a Namco Museum compilation with Rave Racer, Ace Driver Victory Lap, Tekken 2 and 3, Starblade and Cyber Sled.

Namco has a great backlog of classic games from the '80s and '90s, and the selection here is decent (there's no way this won't get an M rating with Splatterhouse on there, lol), but I hope they don't stop here.

Woof, $30 when previous collections were sold for $20 and generally had a lot more games is a rough proposition. Having said that, I'm still kind of excited for this and by the time it launches I should have enough Best Buy credit to knock this down to a more reasonable price point.

Agreed. I'd like to see a Namco Museum compilation with Rave Racer, Ace Driver Victory Lap, Tekken 2 and 3, Starblade and Cyber Sled.

Namco has a great backlog of classic games from the '80s and '90s, and the selection here is decent (there's no way this won't get an M rating with Splatterhouse on there, lol), but I hope they don't stop here.

YES. It's time to put Namco's late 90s classics into the Museum.

Top Bottom