• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Museum on Switch

andymcc

Banned
Cool to see splatterhouse as it's never been on any of the old Namco compilations before.

For real though, with the banner tease during the direct, did everyone else assume it was going to be a virtual console announcement?

Surprise! From the US Boxart thread:

98sep9hqlk0x14i08_1po1_icu8jz0.png

Also the PR says it's $29.99 USD! :D

Wow, physical release confirmed?

joedick

You're never going to see Taito or Capcom-like collections from Namco like we did on PS2 with an exhaustive abundance of games. The Namco Museum series is a franchise in itself and they know it. They always sell well due to the fact that their early arcade titles are more iconic than most.

Totally agree with this. In a day and age where a single game can make or break a studio, it's incredibly important for companies to properly manage their legacy content. Don't get me wrong, I'd much prefer 30+ games, but $3 per is more than fair for these.

For those who aren't thrilled with the price, keep in mind that Namco had two Museum comps on the Wii. The second one had all the arcade games of the first and more, so it might be worth holding out. But if you're remotely interested, support this so we can get more!

I've bought these games so many times that the only way I'll buy another Namco Museum is if I can walk around the museum with my Pac Man tour guide. I thought that was the coolest thing in the world as a kid.

Kinda crazy that they haven't just iterated on past features.

Pyrrhus

I've bought these games so many times that the only way I'll buy another Namco Museum is if I can walk around the museum with my Pac Man tour guide. I thought that was the coolest thing in the world as a kid.

Kinda crazy that they haven't just iterated on past features.

Yes, exactly this. They did this so well with the original releases and just dropped the actual museum part after that. Another way to play a ROM of Dig-Dug isn't enough.

jariw

The reason this actually caught my interest is that you apparently can rotate the Switch screen to portrait mode to get the old arcade feeling.

Raitaro

Nice that this exists but why only 10 games? Past collections, Namco's or those of other publishers like Capcom, often seemed to have at least 20 games or so. Maybe it'll get DLC?

Speaking of Capcom, and Sega (or Konami) for that matter, I hope they will start releasing classic (arcade) games as well at some point. From Sega I'd like to see either a super scaler collection or Switch ports of the 3DS Classic lineup. Capcom could do another version of that PS3/360 gen online collection for instance, with some added games preferably. A Taito collection by Square-Enix would be appreciated as well (with Chase HQ please). Interesting that it nearly always is Namco that is one of the first to go this retro route now that I think about it.

t hicks

Banned
The reason this actually caught my interest is that you apparently can rotate the Switch screen to portrait mode to get the old arcade feeling.

Nice, thats pretty cool! Was thinking it would be a little weird if you couldn't do that
Might pick this up digitally down the road

lyrick

Nice that this exists but why only 10 games? Past collections, Namco's or those of other publishers like Capcom, often seemed to have at least 20 games or so. Maybe it'll get DLC?

???

Namco Museum Volume 1: 7 titles
Namco Museum Volume 2: 8 titles
Namco Museum Volume 3: 6 titles
Namco Museum Volume 4: 5 titles
(with 1 hidden title)
Namco Museum Volume 5: 5 titles

Namco Museum 64: 6 titles

Namco Museum [2001]: 6 titles

Seik

Banned

I think you're mixing Namco and Midway.

The Midway Arcade Treasure series had more games, IIRC. Namco always was on the cheaper side.

EDIT: OK I was soooo fucking wrong LOL! Didn't know all these post PS2-era collections! :O

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
???

(with 1 hidden title)

Namco Museum on 360 which is far and away the best release has over 30 games.

Camjo-Z

???

(with 1 hidden title)

Namco Museum (2001): 12 games actually
Namco Museum 50th Anniversary: 16 games
Namco Museum Battle Collection: 22 games
Namco Museum Virtual Arcade: 34 games
Namco Museum Megamix: 24 games

You gotta admit 10 games is stingy even by Namco's own standards.

bman94

Did you ever play Namco Museum Remix on Wii? That Namco museum in addition to arcade classics had new "remix" versions of arcade titles that were in full 3D and starred Pac-Man. There was a Rally X Remix though the original Rallh X wasn't included.

The later expanded version called Namco Museum Megamix did include both Rally X and New Rally X.

The 2010 reboot had all three as unlockables.

I can't really ever remember there being retro console titles in these Namco Museums. I think they're for arcade releases.

Never played the Wii versions because I never had a classic/pro controller for it. I didn't want to subjugate myself to having to play those games on Wiimote only.

I would hate to see your reaction to what VC titles are going to cost if you think $3 a game is too much.

$30 is a reasonable price for this collection and it's even better if you live in the US and have Prime/GCU making it $24.99.

Virtual Console games are usually shitty value anyway which is why I barely have any VC to begin with. But in terms of this collection its a shitty value because Namco has released collections in the past with a beefier number of games included with more iconic games. I love the shit out of Galaga. It's one of my favorite games of all time. But there's no reason to include Galaga '88 in this collection when classics like Rally-X, Pole Position, Bosconian or Toy Pop is missing.

We all need to buy this so we get a Volume 2, with that game and more.

There's going to be another one regardless. They always do this shit. Leave out key games in the first installment just to put them in the next installment. And at what point are we ever going to see their 3D games included in these collections like Tekken, Ridge Racer or SoulEdge? They do the bare minimal with their collections and just shove them out. I understand limitatinos for the original Museum games on the Playstation but they have no excuses at this point.

Type40

Compared to Namco Museum on 360 this is a joke. I am baffled.
All this on one disk.
Xbox Live Arcade Games:
Dig Dug (1982)
Galaga (1981)
Galaga Legions (2008)
Mr. Driller Online (2008)
Ms. Pac-Man (1982)
New Rally-X (1981)
Pac-Man (1980)
Pac-Man Championship Edition (2007)
Xevious (1982)

Museum Games:
Baraduke (1985)
Bosconian (1981)
Dig Dug II (1985)
Dragon Buster (1985)
Dragon Spirit (1987)
Galaga '88 (1987)
Galaxian (1979)
Grobda (1984)
King & Balloon (1980)
Mappy (1983)
Metro-Cross (1985) (renamed Retro-Cross in European and Australian versions of the compilation)
Motos (1985)
Pac & Pal (1983)
Pac-Mania (1987)
Pole Position (1982)
Pole Position II (1983)
Rally-X (1980)
Rolling Thunder (1986)
Sky Kid (1985)
Sky Kid Deluxe (1986)
Super Pac-Man (1982)
The Tower of Druaga (1984)

Arrangement Games:
Dig Dug Arrangement (2005)
Galaga Arrangement (2005)
Pac-Man Arrangement (2005)

Namco Museum on 360 which is far and away the best release has over 30 games.

I really dig Megamix. Obviously 360 is the best with all those classic titles while Megamix only had 18 classic titles but some of the remix titles were really interesting. One of them being a port of the DS game Pac 'n Roll doesn't hurt.

I also loved how the interface was you rolling pac-man around a park with the various Remix games as rides and all the classic games in the "arcade" with cabinets.

namcomuseumremix-2a.jpg

Never played the Wii versions because I never had a classic/pro controller for it. I didn't want to subjugate myself to having to play those games on Wiimote only.

Actually I think most would be fine with that control scheme.

I have multiple arcade sticks on Wii so MegaMix was a cool addition to all the Wii Neo Geo stuff.

lyrick

Are you counting 'remixes'?
We don't know if this title is going to have a bunch of remixes in it (it probably won't)

Nintendo tweeted this banner.

C9TRxcHXkAMRa2p.jpg

Thanks! If you look in the trailer, they're the same borders for said games!

It was included on the 360/PS3 version of Splatterhouse though.

True, but the emulation was ....okay...for the classic trilogy. And the point is that of all the classic Namco games, Splatterhouse was somewhat of the black sheep because of its mature content. (IIRC, Rolling Thunder was originally included in one of the Japanese only Namco Anthology sets...)

Which leads me to ask if the game will be rated M because of it. It may sound stupid, but I, too, loved the 3D Museums of the PSone era, and hoped to see a version where we could explore the outside of a polygon West Mansion with the cabinet waiting at its doors...

Sigh...

Oh crap, had no idea this was physical. Glad I clicked this thread.

Hmm... Now I wish it had Pac-Man Vs. too.

Hmm...you have my ear. How would it work on switch? Like the DS version?

Camjo-Z

Are you counting 'remixes'?
We don't know if this title is going to have a bunch of remixes in it.

Even if you don't count remixes they all still have more than 10 arcade games. Also this definitely isn't going to have remixes or they wouldn't be boasting "10 games in all!".

I really dig Megamix. Obviously 360 is the best with all those classic titles while Megamix only had 18 classic titles but some of the remix titles were really interesting. One of them being a port of the DS game Pac 'n Roll doesn't hurt.

I also loved how the interface was you rolling pac-man around a park with the various Remix games as rides and all the classic games in the "arcade" with cabinets.

Megamix would have been awesome except if you used the nunchuk with the Wiimote you were forced to use the C and Z buttons instead of the A and B buttons... and if you didn't use the nunchuk you still had to plug it back in every time you wanted to switch a game by rolling Pac-Man around.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So it's the exception?

No.

It doesn't sound like you're familiar with Namco Museum Collections since you're comparing the number of games when the series debuted to make it seem like the Switch release is par for the course. You're ignoring all of the other releases.

The Collection that released during the PS2 era had 14 games. Even GBA had 14 games. Namco Museum on Wii had 24 games. Xbox 360 had 30. The number of games on the collection was rising each generation. With Switch they absolutely cut back on the number of included games.

Why no Ms. Pac-Man? :(

Still, seems like a solid collection. I don't have any of these on modern consoles anymore, since I packaged away all my last-gen stuff. I'm tempted.

Seik

Banned

Well, I withdraw what I said in my last post, sounds like Namco wasn't always all that cheap in the past after all.

THAT SAID...Imma go on Ebay buy on of those!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Why no Ms. Pac-Man? :(

Still, seems like a solid collection. I don't have any of these on modern consoles anymore, since I packaged away all my last-gen stuff. I'm tempted.

Maybe it's unlockable? It's crazy to picture a modern Namco Museum without one of most common inclusions of the past.

Camjo-Z

Well, I withdraw what I said in my last post, sounds like Namco wasn't always all that cheap in the past after all.

THAT SAID...Imma go on Ebay buy on of those!

I personally recommend Namco Museum 2001 solely for Pac-Man Arrangement if you've never played it, easily the best Pac-Man game besides the original and the CE games yet somehow has never been ported to anything else besides GBA since. (Not to be confused with the crappy Pac-Man Arrangement found in Battle Collection and Virtual Arcade, which is just boring and ugly.)

Nintendo Direct
Oh I don't remember hearing or seeing anything about playing it vertically, that's cool.

Edit: I just rewatched the Namco segment, are we sure that's what they meant? Here's what they said:
"You can use the standard horizontal display: (accompanied by this image)
..or even switch to a vertical layout for that classic arcade feel" (accompanied by this image)

That seems more like aspect ratios than rotating the system vertically.

Ah, I was hoping for tate mode. It looks like a great set regardless. I hope these collections become popular again.

Emulation has come a long way since the hey day of retro compilations.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Oh I don't remember hearing or seeing anything about playing it vertically, that's cool.

Edit: I just rewatched the Namco segment, are we sure that's what they meant? Here's what they said:
"You can use the standard horizontal display: (accompanied by this image)

..or even switch to a vertical layout for that classic arcade feel" (accompanied by this image)

That seems more like aspect ratios than rotating the system vertically.

There are pictures of the vertical mode on Nintendo's page (can't link right now, sorry).

Neff

Namco Museums usually have a variety of screen modes and tweaks (arcade DIP switches and the like), including tate modes in the PSone originals, so there's a good chance this pack will too.

There are pictures of the vertical mode on Nintendo's page (can't link right now, sorry).

goAqTa.jpg
XjMNcq.jpg

Glix

Solid emulation + Tate + Online leaderboards and you can have all my monies Namco.

Then vol2 with the superior Ms Pac, please.

Top Bottom