• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Museum on Switch

Zimmy68

Can you play the game in portrait mode? If not, that is a deal breaker.

I would need glasses to play PAC-Man.

samred

Can you play the game in portrait mode?

yes. every game except pac-man vs. you can manually adjust zoom and even add vertical pixel stretch. however, you have to readjust this zoom if you switch back to normal mode, and you have to change the zoom setting for each game. but it's cool to have as an option.

namco went overboard on hd rumble in some games, though.

So you can rotate the screen at 90 degree intervals making it so you can set the orientation any way you want. However, you can't actually play vertically with the JoyCons attached which makes it useless in handheld mode. So I'm not exactly sure what the point is since it's probably not very easy to prop up vertically either. I'm pretty disappointed I can't play vertical handheld mode.

samred

So you can rotate the screen at 90 degree intervals making it so you can set the orientation any way you want. However, you can't actually play vertically with the JoyCons attached which makes it useless in handheld mode. So I'm not exactly sure what the point is since it's probably not very easy to prop up vertically either. I'm pretty disappointed I can't play vertical handheld mode.

...how the hell would you play it that way?

Jazzem

Some early impressions:

-Menus are a bit less smooth than I'd like, it can take a few seconds to bring up the pause menu or transition between tabs. Also generally seem to run at a bizarrely low frame rate
-The lack of a friend filtering option for leaderboards is disappointing
-Not being able to rebind movement controls or shoulder buttons is a pain, especially the former for reasons of playing the system undocked vertically like Marty Chinn suggested
-Erm...is Tower of Druaga as horrendous as my first impressions indicate? <_<

+Druaga aside, game selection is pretty solid. I especially love the Rolling Thunder titles and Skykid was a pleasant surprise I was previously unfamiliar with.
+Emulation seems fantastic, with the games looking/sounding/playing as they should as far as I can tell.
+The extensive scanline/screen resizing options are very much appreciated. I find for the tate games, I enlarge and position them so you're only just missing some of the score info on the top and bottom
+Though not particularly compelling in single player, Pac-Man Vs looks and runs great and it still has Charles Martinet voicing it :D
+Bizarrely strong HD rumble throughout, whacking enemies with a two by four in Splatterhouse is even more cathartic!
+Games look lovely in both docked and undocked, I tend to have scanlines on about 4-5 which is a nice sweet spot between vibrancy and pixel density

Overall quite positive, despite a few fairly sizeable misgivings, worth the $30 from the US eshop though perhaps a bit steep at £30 on the UK one. I really hope they add friend leaderboard filtering and improved menu speeds via a patch. Also hoping I'll get the chance to try four player Pac-Man Vs tomorrow at a local Nintendo fan meet :D

Neff

-Erm...is Tower of Druaga as horrendous as my first impressions indicate? <_<

It's definitely an acquired taste. It was pretty revolutionary for its time though, and it was a success in Japan. The slow pace and randomness is what makes the experience, although for some it's an equally big turn-off. A true love it or hate it game.

worth the $30 from the US eshop though perhaps a bit steep at £30 on the UK one.

Fuck me, the 3000 yen I paid for it is only a little over £20.

Chucker

Whoa, there's a mode to play Pac-Man Vs. on a single Switch with three players as the Ghost and a CPU Pac-Man? Sold!

This literally sold me on it last night. I was on the fence, but the Gamexplain video showed this and I dove in.

My daughter loves Pac-Man, Ms. Battle Royale and she never got to play Vs so she is super excited. As I was walking out the door to work I heard Pac-Man get a power pellet and she yelped NOOOOOO.

Good times.

How did Ms. Pacman not make it in this game, or is that being saved for the inevitable Vol. 2 edition?

Gotta spread the legacy out to maximize profit

PSX-Namco-Museum-Encore-Limited-Box-Vol.1-6-JAPAN-JP-747x309.jpg

Hero

It's definitely an acquired taste. It was pretty revolutionary for its time though, and it was a success in Japan. The slow pace and randomness is what makes the experience, although for some it's an equally big turn-off. A true love it or hate it game.

Is it more cheaper to buy games from the Japanese eShop compared to the NA one?

Ridley327

These days, I think the exchange rate favors the dollar. At the current exchange rate, you're saving about $3 by getting it on the Japanese eShop, but hey, a savings is a savings.

Is there a US physical copy? I'd like to buy that and no go digital if possible.
Even though that boxart is super awesome, I don't think there is a retail release as of this moment. I've looked and looked, but could not find anything on it. Sadly, it's a digital release only.

I'm still on the fence about it. $30 makes me a little skeptical, but my 3 kids would love Pac-Man Vs., a lot. Lol. I may just cave.

Neff

In the US, usually only a little. In the UK, as in this case, it can be a big difference.

Basically the Japanese eShop is almost always cheapest if you're getting a direct currency exchange.

mrk8885

Banned
I definitely agree that it's annoying to not be able to do portrait mode with an attached joycon.

While maybe not the most comfortable setup, it's definitely doable to hold the switch upright on its side at the bottom using the joycon.

Instead the only way I'll ever do that portrait mode is if I have my hori stand with me which is not often.

Cool idea, execution not the greatest.

On a side note, maybe Nintendo should have made a swivel kickstand that could hold it up in portrait. Niche use I guess.

Ok, I'm missing something with Sky Kid here. How do you drop a bomb consistently? I'm going up to the target, mashing the shoot button, and sometimes he drops it, sometimes he drops it late, and sometimes he doesn't drop it at all.

Edit - lol figured it out. The "loop" button also drops your bomb.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Is there any way to shut off borders around games? There's no way I'm playing that Rolling Thunder one around my kids.

BiggNife

I'm actually really glad they jumped forward with the later '80s stuff rather than the usual earlier games. Still, the lack of important titles suggests to me that this won't be the only collection they do (assuming it sells well).

It's cool that they have some later 80's stuff but Pole Position is easily my second favorite classic Namco series behind Pac-Man and it's a shame neither of them are in there. Pole Position II would have been really cool specifically since that game doesn't really get the attention it deserves.

Also if they were willing to do later stuff it's kind of a shame they skipped Pac-Mania which is definitely one of the best Pac-Man sequels.

Jazzem

That sounds about right, I remember Retronauts referencing it as a hugely influential Japanese game, in particular the focus on discovering secrets. But man it's slow, and I couldn't hit enemies for the life of me D: Will try it again ha, I do like that they've included hints for the cryptic aspects on each floor.

Ha yeah, I spent ages trying to buy Japanese eshop credit off Amazon to no avail, so I ended up buying NM from the US eshop. Thankfully, pcgamesupply's discounted $10 card deal earlier meant it came to around £20.70. Hooray for region free :D

rcl66

I definitely agree that it's annoying to not be able to do portrait mode with an attached joycon.

Because you can't hold the system easily because of the joycon or it literally doesn't work? What's the point of that mode if you have to detach the joycons.

Jazzem

Because you can't hold the system easily because of the joycon or it literally doesn't work? What's the point of that mode if you have to detach the joycons.

You can't rebind the directional controls, so the analog stick won't correspond correctly

TheGrue

You can't rebind the directional controls, so the analog stick won't correspond correctly

Yeah, it's pretty disappointing. I wanted to just hold it attached. I did just buy a Hori stand, but I imagine it's not designed to hold the Switch vertically. I guess I will find out once I get it.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I don't think Nintendo wants anyone promoting holding the Switch vertically like that. The hinge holding the joycon on likely wasn't designed for that kind of strain.

One thing that's amazing to me is that Sky Kid released in the arcades the same year as Space Harrier. Sega really was in a league of their own at that time.

Not to say Sky Kid isn't a great game, because it is.

Top Bottom