• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Museum on Switch

Kureransu

Hold up, so in order to play the original mode in Pacman Vs you need 2 switches? That's kind of ridiculous tbh.

Well in the original you needed a GBA, link cable, and Gamecube. This game always required 2 pieces of hardware. The only way this would have not is if it released on WiiU.

Idk, split screen? It's no different than playing local FPS death matches back in the day. Looking at the opponents screen is "cheating" but when the alternative is needing 2 consoles for a basic feature that's weak IMO. At least give the option for playing it with one system, and then yeah if you want to play it like the original arcade version then you can use a 2nd Switch.

A Wii U version would've made a lot more sense for this specific game

I don't think Nintendo wants anyone promoting holding the Switch vertically like that. The hinge holding the joycon on likely wasn't designed for that kind of strain.
But you don't support it by holding on to the JoyCon only. Most of your grip is on the back of the main system. It's perfectly stable.

Idk, split screen? It's no different than playing local FPS death matches back in the day.

It's very different.

Try being the one guy against 4 players, all of whom knowing precisely where you're at and where you're going before they corner your ass down. See how old that shit gets quick.

Cody_D165

Banned
Idk, split screen? It's no different than playing local FPS death matches back in the day. Looking at the opponents screen is "cheating" but when the alternative is needing 2 consoles for a basic feature that's weak IMO. At least give the option for playing it with one system, and then yeah if you want to play it like the original arcade version then you can use a 2nd Switch.

The whole idea behind it is that the Pac-Man player has access to the full view of the 2D Pac-Man game board while the ghosts have a a somewhat obstructed view with 3D models. If all of these things are on one screen, the three ghosts' viewpoints would be rendered useless since there would be no advantage to using their windows over the arcade board, and at that point the game would become horribly one sided as the ghosts could easily and effortlessly corner the Pac-Man player.

TLDR it ruins the design of the game to place it all on one screen, but I agree with the Wii U sentiment. Would have been a perfect fit.

Tyeforce

So wait, if there's no physical release, then what's this from?
Surprise! From the US Boxart thread:

98sep9hqlk0x14i08_1po1_icu8jz0.png

Also the PR says it's $29.99 USD! :D
Has it been officially confirmed that there will be a physical release coming later? I'd rather hold off for a physical release if so.

Neff

It's cool that they have some later 80's stuff but Pole Position is easily my second favorite classic Namco series behind Pac-Man and it's a shame neither of them are in there. Pole Position II would have been really cool specifically since that game doesn't really get the attention it deserves.

Also if they were willing to do later stuff it's kind of a shame they skipped Pac-Mania which is definitely one of the best Pac-Man sequels.

Pac-Land not being there alongside Rolling Thunder and Splatterhouse feels really weird to me.

Outfoxies was basically custom-made for Switch over two decades before Switch existed. Ditto Numan Athletics.

I really want them to do another one.

Has it been officially confirmed that there will be a physical release coming later? I'd rather hold off for a physical release if so.

it would be so shit if the retail release just has a download voucher in it

Pac-Land not being there alongside Rolling Thunder and Splatterhouse feels really weird to me.

Outfoxies was basically custom-made for Switch over two decades before Switch existed. Ditto Numan Athletics.

People say Outfoxies will never get a home port cuz you can perform infanticide

Raitaro

I never knew Numan Athletics existed before reading this post, nor its equally bonkers sequel Mach Breakers, but after looking them up I now definitely want them in Namco Museum along with The Outfoxies. Thanks...I guess?

In the miraculous case we do end up getting DLC for this release, what are some other classic Namco arade games worthy of being added, obscure ones most of all? I've honestly never been all that familiar with their old arcade output beyond the famous games that they keep re-releasing in these museum collections.

Edit: Wasn't familiar with Tank Force either by the way, which is included already, but that game looks quite awesome too!

womp

Just got done a little video showing off each of the games in the collection if anyone is interested. I wasn't playing at the top of my best ability, just trying to get some gameplay...controls are going to take me some time to get used to. May need a pro pad. Overall a cool little collection though, always love me some Galaga '88!

https://youtu.be/SMFIm25kOlw

Hold up, so in order to play the original mode in Pacman Vs you need 2 switches? That's kind of ridiculous tbh.

Mqo1TzT.jpg

Koppai

So I wasn't crazy, sound like there was a physical edition planned...hmm. Guess I will wait.

Neff

Splatterhouse is a unique entity in all of videogames. Nowhere else can you find a scrolling Kung-Fu Master clone with the same demented, twisted, haunted house aesthetic Namco conjured up. Even its sequels feel tame compared to the original. It's just utterly awesome.

Between this and Rolling Thunder alone, my entry fee is vindicated and then some.

galvatron

I would have been into this day one mostly for pacman vs on recent hardware, but it's looking like buying an extra DS and the DS Namco Museum would be cheaper since my family already owns 3 between us. Still, haven't done portable pacman since ngpc...Kind of tempting

Been playing this in bits and bobs, I really like it. The menus (and their accompanying music) are great, and the emulation feels great. The number of options are really well thought out too, it just feels like how the NEOGEO classics should have been packaged together.

Going from the credits, it was developed by three teams in Japan: Bandai Namco Studios, GOTCH Technology Corp. and ITL CORPORATION.

Seems like the games were packaged together with Unity, going from the intellectual property notices. It still weighs in at under 900MB - less than the Unity Pac-Man port(?) on PS4.

swarley64

So you can rotate the screen at 90 degree intervals making it so you can set the orientation any way you want. However, you can't actually play vertically with the JoyCons attached which makes it useless in handheld mode. So I'm not exactly sure what the point is since it's probably not very easy to prop up vertically either. I'm pretty disappointed I can't play vertical handheld mode.

Yeah it's strange, I was pretty excited to get Pac-Man into the vertical orientation but the d-pad still reacts like I'm playing in the horizontal orientation. I figured out eventually that I could disconnect the joy cons, then hold the switch in my right hand and use the left joy con to control Pac-Man. It works but I don't see why I can't just reassign the buttons on the d-pad. I assumed it would do that automatically.

sp3ctr3

Selection seems pretty poor compared to the Xbox 360 collection called Namco Museum Virtual Arcade

Xbox Live Arcade Games

Dig Dug (1982)
Galaga (1981)
Galaga Legions (2008)
Mr. Driller Online (2008)
Ms. Pac-Man (1982)
New Rally-X (1981)
Pac-Man (1980)
Pac-Man Championship Edition (2007)
Xevious (1982)

Museum Games
Baraduke (1985)
Bosconian (1981)
Dig Dug II (1985)
Dragon Buster (1985)
Dragon Spirit (1987)
Galaga '88 (1987)
Galaxian (1979)
Grobda (1984)
King & Balloon (1980)
Mappy (1983)
Metro-Cross (1985)
Motos (1985)
Pac & Pal (1983)
Pac-Mania (1987)
Pole Position (1982)
Pole Position II (1983)
Rally-X (1980)
Rolling Thunder (1986)
Sky Kid (1985)
Sky Kid Deluxe (1986)
Super Pac-Man (1982)
The Tower of Druaga (1984)
Arrangement Games

Dig Dug Arrangement (2005)
Galaga Arrangement (2005)
Pac-Man Arrangement (2005)

HyperHip

Wish this game had replays for leaderboards, otherwise loving this Museum. Initially bought this for Rolling Thunder 2, but ended up enjoying Sky Kid and Splatterhouse as well.

Jazzem

Got to play Pac-Man Vs today and man it was a treat :D Is a shame you can't use four Switches for four players, but it still works out well with the ghosts on a tabletop Switch and Pac-Man on a handheld. Lots of yelling and laughter, really is a wonderful local multiplayer experience and I'm so glad I finally got to try it. Can definitely see why people praised it so much back from the Gamecube!

One weird thing for it though; you have to go into the pause menu to change the controller options to accept 1-3 players, otherwise it will only recognise the first pad :/ Confused us for a while!

Splatterhouse is a unique entity in all of videogames. Nowhere else can you find a scrolling Kung-Fu Master clone with the same demented, twisted, haunted house aesthetic Namco conjured up. Even its sequels feel tame compared to the original. It's just utterly awesome.

Between this and Rolling Thunder alone, my entry fee is vindicated and then some.

Yeah, for all of Splatter's faults with game balance and occasionally clunky controls, I still dig the hell out of it mainly down to its style. They really nailed the gruesome aesthetic they were going for all the way back in 1988...even if it is a jarring inclusion in an otherwise somewhat peppy collection of games :p

One weird thing for it though; you have to go into the pause menu to change the controller options to accept 1-3 players, otherwise it will only recognise the first pad :/ Confused us for a while!

Yeah, I played Pac-Man Vs. with my sister and her husband today, and we had a heck of a time figuring out how to get additional controllers added. Definitely far from intuitive.

But, once we got it figured out - had an absolute blast. Pac-Man Vs. is such a great game.

I might wait until it's a little cheaper, though.

Why would you do that?

Nope. That's just not how it works.

So, yea...I get all the complaints about how few games there are. But the games that are here are pretty great and I think it's pretty solid overall. Perfect collection for the Switch and emulation seems spot on. I was hoping there'd be an art gallery somewhere though...oh well.

Berordn

Why would you do that?

$30 is steep when other Namco Museum collections have a lot more to them.

I bit because I had some leftover eShop credit and really wanted it for Pac-Man Vs. and I'm generally happy with it, but I can't help but feel a little gypped. Maybe there's another surprise in waiting and they'll update it with Battle Royale or something.

Aw man I would love to play Galaga and Galaga 88!

But I'll wait til the price goes down or I get cheap discounted eShop cards. 30 is too much right now.

cbrun44

I played Splatterhouse at Super Potato twice this week. First time playing this version. Totally worth it for this alone. Will be downloading when I get back to the states.

Chucker

Maybe there's another surprise in waiting and they'll update it with Battle Royale or something.

The local(hour drive, but worth it) boardwalk arcade JUST took out Pac-Man Battle Royale the last time I was there, so now it's only lives on my xbox, but would love to have it on the Switch to be able to just lug it around.

Top Bottom