• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What indie characters do you want to see on Smash Bros for Switch?

McNum

I wouldn't mind have Shantae join. I mean her Half-Genie Hero abilities would map to a Smash moveset pretty easily. And then there's this little reason...

For she will dance through the danger.

Now that's how you start off a game, and it'd be great to hear it in smash, too, even if she'd have to share a home stage with someone else.

Seriously? Cloud has been begged for well over a decade, and Bayonetta literally just beats folks ups.
tenor.gif

idunno, Bayonetta firing pistols at Pikachu is still weird to me.

I'll take:

• Shovel Knight
  • Shantea
  • Gunvolt
  • Beck
  • Sophia III as an assist trophy

This guy would be so cool in Smash. Too bad his game isn't on Switch (for now?) and, even then, I don't think he'd be famous enough to make an appearance.

Is this Hyper Light Drifter? Is it really good? Super Bunny Hop wasn't too keen on it.

None of the choices here will overwrite Cloud as the ultimate third-party character.

No indie. Or other major third-party character.

The hype ceiling has been met.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Yooka-Laylee. Would be great if they could also get a Banjo-Kazooie cameo - they could share a moveset and would be a great addition to Smash.

Shovel Knight is the obvious choice, along with Shantae. I don't think you'll get much better picks than that.

On a side note, I never understood why they put Cloud in. Why not Sora instead? At least he's had a couple of games on Nintendo systems and is arguably as popular.

Shovel Knight is the obvious choice, along with Shantae. I don't think you'll get much better picks than that.

On a side note, I never understood why they put Cloud in. Why not Sora instead? At least he's had a couple of games on Nintendo systems and is arguably as popular.
Sora is nowhere near as Popular as Cloud.

Rncewind

None.

In fact, I wish Smash was more exclusive. Too many third parties. Sonic is a third party regular on Nintendo consoles, so he makes sense. Pacman, too, to an extent. But Cloud, Snake, and all the other PS mainstays can hang out with their friends and fester on All-Stars Battle Royale 2 or whatever the name of the next Smash rip-off.

_0.jpg

Shovel Knight should be a shoe in
Minecraft Steve can play on the minecraft level already in the game ;)

Yooka Laylee if Banjo Kazooie doesn't make it

The only third party characters I want in smash are a handful of iconic ones like they've been doing. Indie characters would dilute the roster. And I actually didn't agree with Cloud or Snake since they've barely been on Nintendo systems.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I hate to be that guy...but yeah my answer is also none.
I like Shantae and Shovel Knight but Smash is first and foremost a collection of first party characters - that will always be the focus. Only 3rdParty exceptions are made for gaming icons recognized by a big audience...Solid Snake, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud Strife.....Shantae ? Come on.

But IF i had to chose one Shovel Knight would probably be the safest choice.
Bayonetta?

Camjo-Z

The only indie character who could justify a spot is maybe Steve/Alex from Minecraft. Other than that, there are plenty of big third-party characters I'd rather see in Smash before they put in a flavor of the month indie like Shovel Knight.

Bayonetta?

Fan ballot character?

Galang

Banned
I'm also going with none. I don't even like the idea of third party characters let alone indie ones. Rather see Nintendo put in characters from their own niche and underappreciated series over these

If they did go with an indie character though I will barf if it's minecraft related. I can't imagine it looking anything but jarring.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
The only indie character who could justify a spot is maybe Steve/Alex from Minecraft. Other than that, there are plenty of big third-party characters I'd rather see in Smash before they put in a flavor of the month indie like Shovel Knight.

Fan ballot character?

Ah yes of course she was.

But Shovel Knight is not a flavour of the month game. It's been popular for literally years.

rhandino

Banned
First they need to add a Rabbid.

Then they can go for Shantae or Commander Video for their legacy on Nintendo plataforms or Shovel Knight in case they are going after popularity.

This is a really cool thread idea. Shovel Knight and Shantae make a really great fit for Smash! There are probably a few more good candidates, but I haven't played enough games to know exactly who.

What I'm seeing in this thread is mostly people who don't seem interested in indies at all. I'm also surprised by how a few are even reacting negatively to major third-party reps.

None. There are plenty of more deserving reps that need to be included first.

Such as?

Dremorak

Banned
Gunvolt would be incredibly rad. I would love to see what they would do with those mechanics.

If there isnt Rabbid alts for the mario characters tho I'll riot.

kunonabi

This is a really cool thread idea. Shovel Knight and Shantae make a really great fit for Smash! There are probably a few more good candidates, but I haven't played enough games to know exactly who.

What I'm seeing in this thread is mostly people who don't seem interested in indies at all. I'm also surprised by how a few are even reacting negatively to major third-party reps.

Such as?

Simon Belmont or Goemon
Bomberman
A Dragon Quest character
A Tecmo Koei character(ideally Angelique)

Those would be the big 4. After that you could make arguments for Atlus, Taito, SNK, and Level-5 to get reps in before any indie characters as well.

Shizza

Shovel Knight for sure.
I could see Bomberman working out.
Maybe Rusty/Piper from the SteamWorld games?
Maybe a Moogle?
And not that it would ever happen, but Crash could be fun too.

Shovel Knights design, music, and move set would translate well to smash. I'm imagining a move where you bounce on the opponents head multiple times without touching the ground to charge up a really powerful smash attack. Besides, Shovel Knight's developer is showing way more Nintendo love than Capcom at this point.

I wouldn't mind have Shantae join. I mean her Half-Genie Hero abilities would map to a Smash moveset pretty easily. And then there's this little reason...

For she will dance through the danger.

Now that's how you start off a game, and it'd be great to hear it in smash, too, even if she'd have to share a home stage with someone else.

Oooh, speaking of dancing through the danger, I thought of another one: Cadence from Crypt of the Necrodancer.

latest

I have no clue how they would implement the rhythm mechanics in Smash, but I'm sure they'd figure something out.

before they put in a flavor of the month indie like Shovel Knight.

thatsbait.gif

Simon Belmont or Goemon
Bomberman
A Dragon Quest character
A Tecmo Koei character(ideally Angelique)

Those would be the big 4. After that you could make arguments for Atlus, Taito, SNK, and Level-5 to get reps in before any indie characters as well.

Those are good character suggestions. I'm a big fan of all the companies you mentioned.

Top Bottom