• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247 Rumor: PS4 > Xbox 720; NowGamer Rumor: Xbox 720 > PS4

kharma45

The first next gen game (Crysis 3) requirements:

Minimum System Operating Requirements for PC:
• Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
• DirectX 11 graphics card with 1Gb Video RAM
• Dual core CPU
• 2GB Memory (3GB on Vista)
• Example 1 (Nvidia/Intel):
• Nvidia GTS 450
• Intel Core2 Duo 2.4 Ghz (E6600)
• Example 2 (AMD):
• AMD Radeon HD5770
• AMD Athlon64 X2 2.7 Ghz (5200+)

Recommended System Operating Requirements for PC:
• DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM
• Quad core GPU
• 4GB Memory
• Nvidia GTX 560
• Intel Core i3-530
• Example 2 (AMD):
• AMD Radeon HD5870
• AMD Phenom II X2 565

Hi-Performance PC Specifications:
• Latest DirectX 11 graphics card
• Latest quad core CPU
• 8GB Memory
• NVidia GTX 680
• Intel Core i7-2600k
• Example 2 (AMD):
• AMD Radeon HD7970
• AMD Bulldozer FX4150

I am expecting at least 4GB for games. That would be amazing.

Bulldozer and high performance lol.

Are those recommended specs from Crytek? Strange that they choose AMD's weakest CPU from the FX line up and put it alongside an i7.

1-D_FTW

Sony didn't lose money on reliability, they lost it on high BD and Cell costs as well as the brand new HDMI 1.3 standard.

They lost it on many things. But having to use exotic cooling (which still couldn't prevent high failure rates... some of which needed to be serviced under warranty) added costs. So did high failure rates. And so did the fact that cramming 230 watts of tech into a consumer device is part of the reason it was so expensive. Cell costs were symptomatic of the high wattage. Watts = power = money. HDMI was a drop in the bucket. Sure, they didn't do themselves any favors with blu-ray, but it still would have lost billions even without it (and probably lost the HD format wars... whatever that was worth in royalties).

Spongebob

Banned
I think many here will be extremely disappointed with the visuals we'll get next gen. Watchdogs at 720p 60fps is best case scenario now.

I think its becoming increasingly clear that gaming will be secondary to Media/services/apps for nextbox. I'm not really convinced that MS even care about gaming anymore to be honest. The 3GB of GDDR5 available for games in Orbis is significantly better than the 5GB of DDR memory in Orbis. It also looks as though there will only be 6 jaguar cores @ 1.6 GHz available for gaming in Durango, very disappointed.

DieH@rd

Banned
terafkmicu.jpg

Feature

Banned
Therein lies the problem, this machine is supposed to be futureproof.

developing games for the consoles is totally different from developing for the PC. You can't just look at the raw specs. There's shit going on that will allow for better looking games than you'd expect from a PC with those specs.

the nowgamer rumor sounds idk farfectched

I stopped reading at this

but then this part is really interesting

which would contradict that roadmap in the vgleaks

PLEASE STOP USING NOWGAMER AS THE SOURCE AND REMOVE IT FROM THE OP.

LOOK AT THIS QUOTE ALL CAPS

Every multi platform or 3rd party game will look better on
xbox next.. And first party games will look better then other company's offerings.
Amd cards 10000hd series will use oban enabled parts .. Its a different acratech to any card to date.
. And xbox next will stay -current because of this design.
8gig.. But 1 gig is for os.. And and multi apps running behind os and also video skype chat in game feature..
This 1 gig can not be used for games.

Seriously!? Jesus Christ, just stop citing that fucking article!

Az

VG, my source told me both Orbis and Durango will be able to do my taxes. Please update your article.

8GB for the PS4 is total nonsense, but just 3GB for games from Vg247 seems awfully low as well. Neither seem to be on the mark, but as I said before VG seems closer to reality.

I do hope we see some solid post CES leaks for the Xbox however.

3gigs for PS4 would be fine if it really is GDDR5.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
without knowing the architecture it's not.

We know it's either GCN to GCN or GCN to GCN2. We know the shader ALU config is likely unchanged between the refresh in the latter case. It's much more easily comparable than nVidia 2005 vs Xenos 2005, but that then even didn't stop people comparing them at the time (around 200gflops each iirc). Of course when we know if there's a difference in shader architecture, if one is using GCN2, we'll be able to look at what's been tweaked and make appropriate qualifications when comparing. But something tells me there'll need to be far fewer qualifications than when we were comparing the compute resources of any previous console GPUs. They'll be the most directly comparable we've ever had on that front even if one is using a refresh of GCN.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I think many here will be extremely disappointed with the visuals we'll get next gen. Watchdogs at 720p 60fps is best case scenario now.

I think its becoming increasingly clear that gaming will be secondary to Media/services/apps for nextbox. I'm not really convinced that MS even care about gaming anymore to be honest. The 3GB of GDDR5 available for games in Orbis is significantly better than the 5GB of DDR memory in Orbis. It also looks as though there will only be 6 jaguar cores @ 1.6 GHz available for gaming in Durango, very disappointed.
Yeah, the vibe really seems to go that way. And if MS really give more focus on multimedia I think they'll horribly fail. Would be pretty neat for Nintendo and Sony though.

derFeef

You know what's weird. We know that MS may have shown something at CES, but Sony? I highly doubt there are documents for both consoles.

Hindle

Banned
I'm hearing breaking news, it's possible the next Xbox will be so powerful it break dances when you turn it on.

davious88

Banned
Can't believe but I might end up getting an xbox in the future. after PS1,2, and 3 I am going with MS machine if NOwgamer is correct. No way I get stuck on inferior machine again. I did go with PS3 because that extra power was used by the first party but if this is true, then MS first party will have more to work with.
Sad.

Seriously, WTF?

Can't believe but I might end up getting an xbox in the future. after PS1,2, and 3 I am going with MS machine if NOwgamer is correct. No way I get stuck on inferior machine again. I did go with PS3 because that extra power was used by the first party but if this is true, then MS first party will have more to work with.
Sad.

Not buying a console because an article states Durango > Orbis, when another article is stating the opposite? Okay. I guess you've already seen the games released by first party... ;)

In any case, I seriously doubt Microsoft will let Sony have such a huge power advantage over their console...just no way.

For quite some time there were rumors that the PS4 only has 2 GB GDDR5 RAM. Maybe MS thought 5 GB DDR3 for games would be enough because of this. If they really "only" have 5 GB for games, wouldn't this also mean that the low bandwidth isn't that problematic?

This is the last time I'm going to say this. STOP LOOKING AT RAW FLOPS. The systems are pretty equal -_-.

People have already told you why those TFLOPS numbers can most likely be compared pretty good.

Takuya

Banned
In any case, I seriously doubt Microsoft will let Sony have such a huge power advantage over their console...just no way.

Both parties had planned things long ago, and probably made minor adjustments to specifications along the way. They have a 'big picture' of what they want to do and build systems to be able to achieve their goals. It's not like they're constantly looking at each other's development cycle and tacking on hardware all the time to try and one up each other.

Top Bottom