• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247 Rumor: PS4 > Xbox 720; NowGamer Rumor: Xbox 720 > PS4

monome

Tech sites are at their best when they play it like teenagers and say shit out aloud without bothering about the whys and hows.

Real documents/infos for stuff under NDA is bad ad business or is good leverage for a private presentation in exchange of holding on said docs.

TheOddOne

PS4 is 33% more powerful than Xbox 720 - INTERNET EXPLODES
My dad could beat up your dad. Except neither of them exist beyond the confines of our imagination.

It’s a bit like that.

But we’re unofficially in the run-up to the next-gen now. Imagine the last few days in the office before Christmas. You’re technically at work but everyone expects you to be a bit silly and throw snowballs at the postman.

It’s a bit like that.

So in the full-blooded spirit of unofficial next-gen build up, we have word of a fantastic report lending itself to that delicious headline you see above – the PS4 is 33 per cent more powerful than the Xbox 720.

That’s according to VG247 which claims to have been told at CES that the PS4 has a “run-capability” of 1.84TF (that’s teraflops). The Xbox 720, meanwhile, is apparently packing a mere 1.23TF. That’s officially 33 per cent worse.

What a loser.

However, there’s a twist. Xbox 720 apparently has 8GB of RAM whereas PS4 has a paltry 4GB. After OS and app requirements Xbox will have 4-5GB of wriggle room and the PlayStation 3GB.

Pathetic.

Both machines will be compatible with 100GB Blu-ray discs.

OK.

Xbox 720 is based on the Radeon HD 8770 GPU.

Cretin.

PS4 is built around AMD’s A10 APU.

Dickwad.

And further leaked documents are in the hands of the media who are readying a Malcolm Tucker style leak.

Splendid.

That’s it.
Brilliant.

This is the last time I'm going to say this. STOP LOOKING AT RAW FLOPS. The systems are pretty equal -_-.

They also don't realize that MS is going to try to offer a media device, they want to take over the living room. Why else would they need 3gigs for apps? Surely it's not kinect that is going to use all that ram.

iceatcs

Lol, I said early ago Durango will get "2 systems in one". Now the new rumours said "3 in one". I smell BS.

morlock

Don't really care about the specs, I reckon they´ll be aprox the same.

Whatever system has a new Wipeout-game wins by default.

Derrick01

Banned
I really wish these rumors and speculation could be banned until something solid actually comes out. Whether it's by leak or official, but pointless speculation going on for years is maddening.

Personally I don't care if PS4 is 100000 times more powerful as long as it's powerful enough for Sony's big studios.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Well it can't be because of their track record, that's for sure. Both articles are probably sensationalist bollocks, with perhaps some half-truths mixed in.

I think it's because it lines up with what other supposed insiders have been saying here. It's nothing very outlandish. The RAM stuff is a bit at odds with the flow of discussion, but who knows. Whether you want to take their reporting of similar info as corroboration or copying is at the reader's discretion...

The NowGamer stuff was discussed and discarded in other threads.

(Also, I think VG247's track record is slightly better than characterised. They clearly have contacts who've been willing to leak things in the past. I mean, for example, they got their hands on a picture of Vita's dev kit at one point, quite a while before the system was announced. Of course, getting some things right doesn't make everything an outlet reports right. But I think it's worth noting they have had legit scoops.)

They also don't realize that MS is going to try to offer a media device, they want to take over the living room. Why else would they need 3gigs for apps? Surely it's not kinect that is going to use all that ram.

As if Sony's plans are different. Sony also wants to offer a media device, and take over the living room.

The only manufacturer that is only in it for the games, and more specifically the games that they want to create is Nintendo.

And since when is 3GB reserved for the OS something that is now a fact of life? We are talking about 3 times the amount of ram in comparison to the Orbis rumor. Are they going to offer 3 times the features? I don't know, but Durango delivering 3 times the features wouldn't be good business for Sony.

Feature

Banned
Can't believe but I might end up getting an xbox in the future. after PS1,2, and 3 I am going with MS machine if NOwgamer is correct. No way I get stuck on inferior machine again. I did go with PS3 because that extra power was used by the first party but if this is true, then MS first party will have more to work with.
Sad.

You're reading the specs complete wrong. The power on the PS4 DDR5 ram is so much better than the DDR3 that the PS4 will atleast have a 50% raw power advantage over the xbox. Not to mention the power consumption will be far less because DDR5 is designed to have less power consumption but much more power output. The PS4 has more teraflops meaning it can render more graphic stuff and better FXAA. And more important, they invented blu ray so they'll be more familiar with how to read/write from/to the disc which will probably mean (estimation here) a speed boost of atleast 20%. In total that's almost 100% more power than the xbox.

In any case, I seriously doubt Microsoft will let Sony have such a huge power advantage over their console...just no way.

Why not? Raw power is not how you win the war. Mind you, theoretical peak numbers don't mean much in terms of real life moment to moment performance. PS3 is hugely ahead of the 360 when it comes to theoretical floating point performance, but that doesn't translate into a huge real life advantage.

Hindle

Banned
If the power of a console meant anything then the PS3 would be no 1 this gen and Sony would be rolling around in cash.

derFeef

You're reading the specs complete wrong. The power on the PS4 DDR5 ram is so much better than the DDR3 that the PS4 will atleast have a 50% raw power advantage over the xbox. Not to mention the power consumption will be far less because DDR5 is designed to have less power consumption but much more power output. The PS4 has more teraflops meaning it can render more graphic stuff and better FXAA. And more important, they invented blu ray so they'll be more familiar with how to read/write from/to the disc which will probably mean (estimation here) a speed boost of atleast 20%.

That's really not the case.

If the power of a console meant anything then the PS3 would be no 1 this gen and Sony would be rolling around in cash.

The PS4 will probably much easier to develop for then the PS3. So this means, if the PS4 is really 50% more powerful then the Xbox 3, we would be actually able to see this in many games.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
gofreak said:
There'd be third parties who know about both.

Devkits will be in short supply at this point, and the platform holders will be very judicious in who gets one and who doesn't both for reasons of both supply and security.

For evaluation purposes third parties will be given "target boxes", basically PC's with rough ballpark specs (subject to change) and some limited documentation about specialized hardware function and capability.

Once a project gets greenlit, better hardware may become available (again, supply constraints apply) but the NDA's will get hard and heavy. Individual team members will be vetted and NDA'd, with management signing agreements that only "approved" indviduals may have access to the development environment (room/s where work is being done), its materials and documentation.

Its not uncommon for this latter sort of segregation to occur if a third party team is working on a valuable IP, let alone new hardware.

The last thing I'd add is that you should always take this sort of "insider" guff with a pinch of salt because... there's no reason why developer can not also be as blinkered a fanboy for a particular platform as anyone else. Over the years I've met plenty, because development, be it coder, artist, producer, whatever is just an occupation - not a badge of honour.

39FTY.png

"Game Journalism" at it's best.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Both are shit, looks like i am sticking with pc.

Doesn't really matter... you know games will be so unoptmized for pc you will need twice that power just to run the games on pc... you know this is sadly true dude...

Plus seriously less ram is not a good idea for the ps4... whatever horsepower you have twice less the ram is looking bad!

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Why not? Raw power is not how you win the war. Mind you, theoretical peak numbers don't mean much in terms of real life moment to moment performance. PS3 is hugely ahead of the 360 when it comes to theoretical floating point performance, but that doesn't translate into a huge real life advantage.
By now I think the raw power will indeed make a big difference. No way MS will be able to pull enough new customers if the leap is not substantional enough - or the leap of the PS3 is far more substantional. The only thing Sony would need then is a killer app for launch.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
All these specs are foreign to me, but the next XBOX requiring an online connection to play games is such bullshit. I have a 10 MBPS satellite connection that works pretty well with the PS3 and WiiU, but for whatever reason the 360 will connect to my internet connection but "limit" me to strictly offline functions because (I'm guessing) satellite provides a slow ping. Group that with my connection going out in storms, and I can't see me buying the next Xbox anywhere nearlaunch if online required is true.

Xanonano

The source of the NowGamer rumour has said some other important things in the past:

http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/102720.html

Misterxmedia said:
Neogaf silent for a moment. They don't know what to answer. Everyone is MS hater deep inside their mind. They know it is coming but they afraid to deal with it.

Neogaf is full of gamers who don't know what is coming in the future. MS their enemy number 1. But don't be fooled by those angry opinions. They just angry because MS steeled the thunder from Sony this gen. They will always fight every little cons MS have to dead. That is their war. They have much more to prove to theirselfs. Lets leave them alone with each other. Sure they will find the truth inside a lie.

Enjoy beautiful night Forza Horizon. Unbelievable graphics.

http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/103483.html
Misterxmedia said:
will find out what my insider have to say about this. Because that sounds like a total bullshit. SDF spin off.

It is a face of this buthurted sonyboys fake:
isp9wLWnB6QRS.jpg

His first post was about insider info. like "fake". (note: my 2 week ago post about 20nm 8000 next xbox gpu only today is being disscussed on negaf)

Then his second post was a link to this garbage. he was the first to introduce this link.
His third post was then he makes a new tread for this link :)
His other post were in favour of this topic - like he beleives in thouse info and so on.

That is how buthurted sonyboys work. A good example :) Lets kill that troll.

FrankT

Indeed, though it matters when these things launch as well.

The costs of these machines is extremely key. While I think unlikely....could one of these burn $5 billion hole like PS3? Who knows.

I wonder what the ballpark manufacture cost per unit will be for each versus retail out the gate.

Mr.Green

Teraflops are fun for fanboy pissing contests but don't amount to much when it comes to the real world. As far as gaming is concerned anyway. There are several components to take into account: CPU, GPU, RAM, Storage... You could put a 16 gazillion teraflops CPU in your computer and the graphics card would still be the bottle neck...

Just take this generation. While the PS3 has the theoretical processing power advantage, some would argue that most of the multiplatform games run better on 360. Then others would argue that there is no way in hell the 360 could run Uncharted...

My take: I don't give a flying fuck. Just take my money. My body is ready for all your god damn toys.

jaypah

That's the same guy who said he had confirmed info from an ultra high level source that PS4 and 720 would be at E3 2012.

yeah but he's citing the article that this thread is about and poking fun at the reactions. I think it's a funny article.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Devkits will be in short supply at this point, and the platform holders will be very judicious in who gets one and who doesn't both for reasons of both supply and security.

For evaluation purposes third parties will be given "target boxes", basically PC's with rough ballpark specs (subject to change) and some limited documentation about specialized hardware function and capability.

Once a project gets greenlit, better hardware may become available (again, supply constraints apply) but the NDA's will get hard and heavy. Individual team members will be vetted and NDA'd, with management signing agreements that only "approved" indviduals may have access to the development environment (room/s where work is being done), its materials and documentation.

Its not uncommon for this latter sort of segregation to occur if a third party team is working on a valuable IP, let alone new hardware.

This is all true. But it doesn't make it unlikely that a media outlet would come across information about two systems. Everything they've said - well, nearly - has been wafting around to one or other degree already.

However, who knows if they're independently corroborating with their own contacts are just acting as a repeater for what's already been put out into the public domain.

The last thing I'd add is that you should always take this sort of "insider" guff with a pinch of salt because... there's no reason why developer can not also be as blinkered a fanboy for a particular platform as anyone else. Over the years I've met plenty, because development, be it coder, artist, producer, whatever is just an occupation - not a badge of honour.

Absolutely true. I think it has already happened to some extent. There's much more opinion involved in some of the less quantifiable statements that are made around this kind of time.

madmackem

But then look at what first party gets out of the ps3 and it kind of does show. Surely the more raw power the better. I really cant see it being this big a gap, i mean come on 50% difference raw power wise would mean ps4 would be able in first party hands to blow away 720. I cant see microsoft being out done to that extent.

Top Bottom