• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/Eurogamer: First Xbox 3 Devkit leaks, 8 Core Intel CPU, nvidia GPU, 8-12GB RAM

Well given that if this is PC based architecture..why does it matter if the dev kit comes with either an Nvidia or ATI GPU, afterall for newly developed games, they will work the same on either brand using DX11.

The final unit could still come with an ATI GPU for reasons of backwards compatibility.

Well given that if this is PC based architecture..why does it matter if the dev kit comes with either an Nvidia or ATI GPU, afterall for newly developed games, they will work the same on either brand using DX11.

The final unit could still come with an ATI GPU for reasons of backwards compatibility.
If they were planning for an AMD gpu, there's absolutely no reason to stick an nvidia in there.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

It wouldn't surprise me if MS wasn't interested in BC. After all. Sony clearly isn't.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

There are rumors that the NextBox has two CPUs. Since the current CPU in the 360 comibines both CPU and GPU, the new console should have full BC.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Can't wait for new consoles to put us ahead of PC gaming.

Grim1ock

Banned
If this is true then all it blows every single rumour about sony and playstation 4 out of the window. I mean every tom dick and harry were talkin about AMD this and AMD that and now it's Nvidia and intel for MS

All of a sudden 10GB XDR2 for PS4 seem plausible now.

I won't be suprised to see sony use RAMBUS again if they provide the tech they need

That(size,water-cooling) has never happened before and i don't think it'll happen now

With the rumoured components? Unless you want another vacuum cleaner under your TV like the original PS3 and 360 the box is either going to be enormous to facilitate cooling or they will have to rely on something else to cool it.

gabbre

Gabe_lolling.gif

Tomat

With these specs I wonder if Microsoft will get a timed exclusive of The Witcher 3.

Lol, that wont happen, even the most optimistic predictions of the hardware inside the next gen, will still only be equal to a high end 2012 PC, which of course will be a low-mid range PC by Q4 2013.

If they use PC components, the days of new consoles outperforming PC's for the first couple of years are over.

Anything you see done on the 720/PS4 will be able to be done better on a PC, only Developer laziness will stop it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Hopefully they will. They are supposed to be "next-gen" systems after all.

I can pretty much guarantee you that you could build a PC gaming rig today that will outperform any next gen system that comes out in 2013.

Tomat

I can pretty much guarantee you that you could build a PC gaming rig today that will outperform any next gen system that comes out in 2013.

Yeah but, save for a company or two, game technology is focused on consoles. Why pay more than you need to?

Triple U

Banned
If this is true then all it blows every single rumour about sony and playstation 4 out of the window. I mean every tom dick and harry were talkin about AMD this and AMD that and now it's Nvidia and intel for MS

Exactly. I know the StevieP guy has been preaching AMD forever now...

Mr Swine

Banned
8 core CPU, is that even possible from Intel? I thought they said that there is no reason to go beyond 4 core CPU's with Haswell architect. How the heck are devs going to port games from Xbox 720 if it has 8 core CPU while there are only going to be 4 core CPU's from Intel in the next couple of years

I won't be suprised to see sony use RAMBUS again if they provide the tech they need

PS4 will finally push xdr2 forward lol, we've been waiting for years.

cyberheater

Yeah but, save for a company or two, game technology is focused on consoles. Why pay more than you need to?

Yeah. I know what you're saying.

Having said that. If the rumoured specs of true next gen consoles are true. They are going to be amazing machines. I can't wait.

All of a sudden 10GB XDR2 for PS4 seem plausible now.

I don't think so. If there really is a big amount of RAM in one of the Nextgen consoles, it will probably be slow DDR3/4 RAM, as 8 GB GDDR5 RAM would cost about $180, XDR2 probably more. Memory prices for PS3/Xbox 360 were around $70-$90 at release.

If they were planning for an AMD gpu, there's absolutely no reason to stick an nvidia in there.

Maybe AMD wasn't ready or willing to supply cards yet, it's generally accepted that Nvidia's tech is more sophisticated and feature rich than AMD's, and closer to what they will use in 18mths time.

Lack of AMD cards may just be a matter of bad timing in the development cycle.

If that's all it was, then sending out dev kits with Nvidia cards may have been a non issue to MS, it's not like they would have needed Nvidia's permission to stick an off the shelf Kepler card in a PC and send it to devs.

GavinGT

Banned
Gemüsepizza;40396296 said:
I don't think so. If there really is a big amount of RAM in one of the Nextgen consoles, it will probably be slow DDR3/4 RAM, as 8 GB GDDR5 RAM would cost about $180, XDR2 probably more. Memory prices for PS3/Xbox 360 were around $70-$90 at release.

PC and console RAM are not comparable in price or performance.

Tomat

Yeah. I know what you're saying.

Having said that. If the rumoured specs of true next gen consoles are true. They are going to be amazing machines. I can't wait.

No, you're not supposed to play along when I'm playing devil's advocate!!

Jokes aside, I actually am looking forward to new consoles. It has always been a big source of excitement for me since I was a kid seeing what they do every new cycle. Despite that, I am well aware that PC's are ultimately more capable.

Do you really think they're going to be amazing machines? 4GBs of RAM doesn't sound like much. 8 cores though, that's pretty huge if true.

Sid

With the rumoured components? Unless you want another vacuum cleaner under your TV like the original PS3 and 360 the box is either going to be enormous to facilitate cooling or they will have to rely on something else to cool it.

The retail units usually have half the ram quantity inside the devkit as stated in the article,do you still think so?if it's a box as big as the alienware x51 i don't think many would care

Didn't Dreamcast have liquid cooling?
Hmmm...i'm not sure

Top Bottom