• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/Eurogamer: First Xbox 3 Devkit leaks, 8 Core Intel CPU, nvidia GPU, 8-12GB RAM

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Sony either has to match or exceed in the ram area. 2GB of ram will not cut it for next-gen consoles.

Maybe AMD wasn't ready or willing to supply cards yet, it's generally accepted that Nvidia's tech is more sophisticated and feature rich than AMD's, and closer to what they will use in 18mths time.

Lack of AMD cards may just be a matter of bad timing in the development cycle.

If that's all it was, then sending out dev kits with Nvidia cards may have been a non issue to MS, it's not like they would have needed Nvidia's permission to stick an off the shelf Kepler card in a PC and send it to devs.
AMD's lastest cards came out a few months before kepler though.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So finally Microsoft fulfills its dream: a completely closed off walled PC where they make money on every single program, app or internet search.

No installing firefox, no using google to search, no buying apps off developers websites.

Everything channeled and price-fixed through Microsoft for Maximum Profit (tm)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
An eight-core Intel CPU? If true, I'm glad I played the little bit more for the 2600K seeing as Intel has no plans at this stage to release true eight-core CPUs in the desktop space.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
No, you're not supposed to play along when I'm playing devil's advocate!!

Jokes aside, I actually am looking forward to new consoles. It has always been a big source of excitement for me since I was a kid seeing what they do every new cycle. Despite that, I am well aware that PC's are ultimately more capable.

I'm always impressed how the top talented devs have the vision and skills to really push the hardware. Next gen will not be any different.

I'm still expected some top tier first party titles to give high end PC's a run for it's money. At least on a graphical level.

So finally Microsoft fulfills its dream: a completely closed off walled PC where they make money on every single program, app or internet search.

No installing firefox, no using google to search, no buying apps off developers websites.

The Steam box but made by Microsoft essentially.

S1kkZ

nice try

Gemüsepizza;40396296 said:
I don't think so. If there really is a big amount of RAM in one of the Nextgen consoles, it will probably be slow DDR3/4 RAM, as 8 GB GDDR5 RAM would cost about $180, XDR2 probably more. Memory prices for PS3/Xbox 360 were around $70-$90 at release.

Interesting, 8GB DDR3 or 4GB GDDR5 ram, what would you rather have?

Hoo-doo

Banned

So, exactly like the Xbox and Xbox 360 before it? You don't say!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Consoles have been around for a long time and clearly there is a market for them that doesn't completely overlap with the PC market. I don't exactly see how it is a problem. PC gaming isn't for everyone.

European Union don't like that, MS already is punished for not letting customers choose what browser they want.

Alpha kit with intel and nvidia parts.
So maybe the connection with the next gen E3 demo running on I7 and 680GTX?

Really what the fuck do you need 6~8 gig worth of debug tools for.
8 gig on total for the system(main and vram) and 2~4 gig for debug tools.
Not sure what they are all putting in that extra space for debugging.

If the Intel CPU is true then the GPU will probably be 22nm as well which is an extra boon of going with Intel, you get to use their advanced foundries. That could put Sony at a disadvantage if they're stuck with with 28nm and while MS get to use Intel's 22nm or, if they're ready(I think they will be for small production runs by late 2013), 14nm foundries.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

I'm in. Where do I sign up.

I love PC gaming buy why does every single god damn game have to reinstall directX just to play. Plus the constant updates with drivers and the worry that it's going to break something.

Give me a closed box any day.

Which console doesn't do this. Kinda stupid to bring up isn't it.
If this was Windows 9 then yeah bring out the pitchfork and the angry mod

demigod

So much for the dual GPU(lol) rumor and the HD7000 series GPU.

Next gen needs 4GB RAM minimum imo. I'm surprised MS went back with Nvidia instead of sticking with AMD. Pretty sure they can get AMD chips cheaper.

As someone who has no clue about computers..is this good, bad, okay?

We dont know the specific chip sets used.
And this is only a alpha dev kit wouldn't be surprised if they are already 18 months old.

But the connection between the next gen demos showed this E3 and the hardware that ran the E3 demos. Given what DF just told us the dev kits have Intel and Nividia parts one is quick to assume a connection between the alpha kits and E3 demo rigs using I7 and 680GTX.

Mithos

I love PC gaming buy why does every single god damn game have to reinstall directX just to play. Plus the constant updates with drivers and the worry that it's going to break something.

Yeah it is awesome fun isn't it? I "love" that crap too......

Those specs are far better than I expected :O
still most dev kits have better specs than consoles that are released right?
Not really, early Wii U devkits were weaker than the final thing, 360 devkits had less memory than the final and the GPUs were a bit slower as well. PS3 is the only one I think where the devkits were quite a bit better than the final console.

Top Bottom