• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

Derrick01

Banned
It's me, or... are we all blind or crazy?
I detect low framerate on DA:O (PS3 version) but not at all in DD's demo.
So what's the real consensus?

edit: maybe it's because of: 360 version's framerate > PS3 version's framerate?
But but but, framerate is maybe lower on PS3 without being a low framerate, am i right? :D

I think because it's a stable and consistent framerate. Even if it's at 24 fps it's harder for me to notice anything if it's not dropping to 10 like Dark Souls. Yeah I'd rather have 30 and 60 on PC but I'll take stability at 25 or 45 over a notable inconsistency.

ironcreed

Banned
I think because it's a stable and consistent framerate. Even if it's at 24 fps it's harder for me to notice anything if it's not dropping to 10 like Dark Souls. Yeah I'd rather have 30 and 60 on PC but I'll take stability at 25 or 45 over a notable inconsistency.

This

ced

I played the PS3 demo for a whopping 10 mins, never noticed any frame rate problems. There may have been some during the griffon attacks, but it was probably masked by the motion blur. Didn't notice any tearing either.

I'm going to try the 360 version tonight.

I was still left feeling the game has something special going on. Seems to be a lot of attention to detail, I just hope the environments are varied.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
is there a way in the full game, or even the demo, to turn off the pawn chatter subtitles?

Patryn

This. PS3 version has a solid framerate. It might be lower than the 360's overall (30 vs. 24?), but there are no dips that I notice, not even when the dragon comes on the screen.

I'm wondering if I'm crazy, since so many people say there are so many dips in the framerate, lol. I don't notice it at all.

Really looking forward to a comparison to confirm my craziness.

No, I'm another person that had no problems with the frame rate in the PS3 version. Looked great to me. Meanwhile, I saw tearing EVERYWHERE in the 360 version, especially if you open a menu and quickly close it, looks TERRIBLE.

Switched my pre-order to the PS3 version this morning. But I may try that trick of shifting the 360 down to 720p and see if that reduces tearing. But at this point, I need 0 tearing before I'd think of going back to the 360 version (even if I far prefer the 360 controller).

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Maybe I should retry the demo. I thought it was kind of underwhelming and the combat was fun, though I thought it a bit mashy. But still, enough people seem to like it and I actually want to play it so I'll give it another go.

Skilletor

Maybe I should retry the demo. I thought it was kind of underwhelming and the combat was fun, though I thought it a bit mashy. But still, enough people seem to like it and I actually want to play it so I'll give it another go.

It's only mashy if you mash. Tons of strategy to be had between just guards, special cancels, and combos.

Try playing without the pawns so you actually get a chance to do stuff.

Fighting against the harpies with no mage or archer is super fun.

ironcreed

Banned
I finally decided to just run around and wait for it to get night before finishing off the Griffin and it got me thinking. I can only imagine what it is going to be like out in the forest with no fairy stones to teleport out. Break out the lantern and move slowly as you feel the tension of trying to make your way back to town or find a nearby camp. Then, all of the sudden some of those screeching phantoms, packs of wolves and zombies start popping in and out of the immediate lighting of your lantern and thus begins a fight to survive.

The near complete darkness where night is actually night and the world becomes far more dangerous is going to be something else. Just think, an open world action role playing game that is steeped in fantasy, yet becomes almost a survival horror affair at night. Now that is how you do a day/night cycle, and it will provide adventure without even being on a quest. This game just has so much going for it underneath the typical fantasy tropes that many think make it generic. It is doing things we have never seen in a game like this before.

Gbraga

Is this an option or can you call then of using the dpad commands or something?

You can throw the first pawn off the cliff (lol), and just ignore the stone that will give you extra pawns, so you'll be alone.

Since we're so overpowered in this demo, using pawns makes you too strong, but even being overpowered (lvl 20 and good equips) if you're alone the Chimera fight will be pretty good, you'll have to understand it's patterns in order to defeat it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I thought people liked the character creator. I thought they should've added more parameters like the one in dragon age instead of using a face template thing, but overall it's a pretty good creator and the strong point is definitely on being able to change body types, weight and height among other things.

It could use more hair variety, but it's better/as good as the ones in other RPGs.

You can fine tune a lot of the stuff though... beyond just the initial choices.

Patryn

Well, if you notice after the demo it does not even have a set release date. It simply says "Arise - 5 - 2012." I am guessing it is an older build from before they even nailed down the release date.

There's also the big screen that pops up when you launch the demo that says this isn't final code and minor bugs may be present that won't be in the final version.

But they could be lying.

You can fine tune a lot of the stuff though... beyond just the initial choices.

Yeah, in advanced edit, when you pick something the game does prompt you to push the square button (on the PS3, at least) to modify even more, but it doesn't really draw attention to this option. You still can't set the width of nostrils, for instance, but you can do other stuff. Seems fairly robust to me.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
You can throw the first pawn off the cliff (lol), and just ignore the stone that will give you extra pawns, so you'll be alone.

Since we're so overpowered in this demo, using pawns makes you too strong, but even being overpowered (lvl 20 and good equips) if you're alone the Chimera fight will be pretty good, you'll have to understand it's patterns in order to defeat it.

I think this was mostly why I disliked it and found it to be mashy - I wasn't given a reason for trying to play any more strategically. Will euthanize my pawns then try.

ironcreed

Banned
There's also the big screen that pops up when you launch the demo that says this isn't final code and minor bugs may be present that won't be in the final version.

But they could be lying.

If you consider how they have been openly demoing the game on live streams for hours at a time, it kind of gives the impression that they are more than confident with what they have here. Most of the streams have been the PS3 version as well.

Gbraga

I just hope they fix the lower framerate with the lantern on, it seems that it will be pretty useful at night, but if I'll have to deal with worse framerate everytime I turn it on I'd rather just wait until morning to keep playing.

Gbraga

I think this was mostly why I disliked it and found it to be mashy - I wasn't given a reason for trying to play any more strategically. Will euthanize my pawns then try.

Yeah, lvl 20 + 3 pawns in the tutorial section it can be pretty mashy. But alone you'll have to understand it's patterns, kill it part by part, and it would also help to learn how to parry.

in the Countryside Mission you have to use your pawns though...

Pretty underwhelmed by the PS3 demo...the framerate bothered me. It's pretty steady, which is good...but its consistently low, like low 20s. I'd probably be a bit happier if it was mostly 30 FPS with sporadic tiny dips. I had other issues with the demo which I won't get into. I'm probably going to cancel my Amazon preorder of the PS3 version and wait for reviews and full game impressions, and maybe pick it up a bit later at a discount (either PS3 or X360 version). Hopefully the final build is more technically polished.

Zomba13

So I just read this doesn't have multiplayer. That makes me sad. I'd have loved to be able to join my friends world and quest with him.

I just hope they fix the lower framerate with the lantern on, it seems that it will be pretty useful at night, but if I'll have to deal with worse framerate everytime I turn it on I'd rather just wait until morning to keep playing.

You have to admit that the lightning work in this game is pretty much incredible

MDSLKTR

I thought I would have loved it... Technical problems aside (I hope there's a pc version is in the works to correct those, it could really use three times the framerate and some full hd), I just didn't like it that much... Too hectic, really meh concept of pawns, too much chatter for an open world rpg and the controls and combat don't feel natural, reminds me too much of monster hunter (which I hate with a passion). IMO any game that shows controls on the screen is bad design. It was a day-1 purchase for me but not anymore :(

mjc

Thank god we can turn off the pawn subtitles. Those things were my biggest problem with the demo because they took up so much space onscreen.

Akai

It boggles my mind that there are so many people that don't like the party chatter. It's something that I wish was in more RPGs considering it actually feels like, you know, a party of heroes instead of a hero and his mannequins...

Anteater

IMO any game that shows controls on the screen is bad design. It was a day-1 purchase for me but not anymore :(

It's better than keep pressing start to figure out what skills you have on the pause menu, I had it on so I could get familiar with the controls, I'm not sure how that's a bad design, you could turn it off if you already know where all your skills and buttons are.

Gbraga

It boggles my mind that there are so many people that don't like the party chatter. It's something that I wish was in more RPGs considering it actually feels like, you know, a party of heroes instead of a hero and his mannequins...

I don't mind the chatter itself, what bugs me is how much space the subtitles of that chatter takes.

ironcreed

Banned
I don't mind the chatter itself, what bugs me is how much space the subtitles of that chatter takes.

Good thing they had the foresight of knowing this would annoy some people and included the options to turn all that stuff off. The pawn subtitles is probably the only thing I'll turn off, myself.

Thank god we can turn off the pawn subtitles. Those things were my biggest problem with the demo because they took up so much space onscreen.

Thank god.

So we can turn off both the letterbox shittiness and the giant text box on the side? Suddenly, I can see the game.

Skilletor

I thought I would have loved it... Technical problems aside (I hope there's a pc version is in the works to correct those, it could really use three times the framerate and some full hd), I just didn't like it that much... Too hectic, really meh concept of pawns, too much chatter for an open world rpg and the controls and combat don't feel natural, reminds me too much of monster hunter (which I hate with a passion). IMO any game that shows controls on the screen is bad design. It was a day-1 purchase for me but not anymore :(

Good thing you can turn that off, right?

Only played monster hunter briefly, but thought it was far more stiff and rigid than this game.

eXistor

Just played the PS3 demo, framerate could be better, but it's more than playable and It's not a big deal at any rate to me. I've yet to try the 360 version which is my preferred platform for exclusives normally, but if the PS3 version's better then I'll switch to that no problem.

ironcreed

Banned
So people not good at hearing or just can't pay attention to all the chatter in battle could read what the pawns are babbling about =P

Yeah, I am sure many will appreciate having it. Hard to please everyone, but at least they are giving options to please as many as they can without compromising the vision for the game and what they wanted it to be.

Ashler

Just played the PS3 demo, but comming off of Dark Souls, i really missed target locking.

Still interested in buying it when the game comes out, though.

Gbraga

Good thing they had the foresight of knowing this would annoy some people and included the options to turn all that stuff off. The pawn subtitles is probably the only thing I'll turn off, myself.

I'll turn off the cinematic camera as well, if it was only activated when your pawn was trying to interact with you I'd be ok with that, but it's on all the time lol

Maybe the button layout as well, I don't have anything against it, actually I really like the way it's displayed, but it's always better to be able to see more of the game, I guess.

You realize you can disable it, right? Not even really sure why they have it on as default...
Yes, and I did.

This was an amazing demo but waaay too short. Kingdoms of Amalur gave you like 45 minutes to explore a huge area and this game kicks you out immediately after you beat a few goblins and a monster.

I am going to keep my player and main Pawn as the classes they are now when the full game comes out. Magic Archer has some crazy skills.

Gbraga

I don't know which class I'll use, I really dig the Magic Archer but after the Grab On video, I really want to be able to do those combos as well, so I'll probably stay with the Strider one from the demo that can use bows and daggers.

Fezan

ibalWCyXZ9HAJI.gif

ijQEkdauQmJ2G.gif

iDgIcOlb1u4Tx.gif

iJO4DXWIwGstx

iHBtjQ0xMQkXC.gif

and my fav

ibg69BFqQ2w2RW.gif

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Someone mentioned it before... but hold both triggers and hitting O/B lets to leap backwards with the fighter guy.

Too bad they don't add three more moves when holding down both triggers.

Using triggers as quick modifiers is pretty smart design, but having nothing really mapped to L1+R1+ buttons seems like wasted space.

Even if the game didn't have enough "moves" to fill these slots... it'd be cool to have items or equipment bound to them. Avoid having to mess around in the menu for common, menial things like using basic potion(s).

Top Bottom