• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like Steam hit a new record for concurrent users

abracadaver

Are there stats that show users/growth over the years?

Found this:

1 year ago:
steam-concurrent-user88qw6.jpg

Over time:
steam-accounts-and-co2gq3m.jpg

Oh sure. Just coincidence that Steam hit those numbers on the exact days the consoles were offline. I see no other way to point out the obvious here guys. Lets at least try to be smart about why it happened.

You seem like a very level headed, unbiased poster. Thanks for the analysis of the situation.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
You guys are trying to add other dates and crap to this thread. This is about the exact days the consoles were offline.

Pointless to even discuss this with PC fanboys. I guess it was just pure coincidence that these numbers happened on the same days the consoles were offline lol.

I need to get out of this thread now before I catch the dumb going on in here.

CXw00EL.gif

Flawless

You guys are trying to add other dates and crap to this thread. This is about the exact days the consoles were offline.

Pointless to even discuss this with PC fanboys. I guess it was just pure coincidence that these numbers happened on the same days the consoles were offline lol.

ibnmwanz0zh7rlttikg.gif

Qassim

It hit 7,5m concurrent users last January, and it was hitting 5 in 2013. 5-6 is the average concurrent for a normal day in Steam IIRC.

It has been hitting a solid 7.5 - 7.8 daily during non-peak times for quite sometime this year.

Oh sure. Just coincidence that Steam hit those numbers on the exact days the consoles were offline. I see no other way to point out the obvious here guys. Lets at least try to be smart about why it happened.

I'm not only shaking my head but also amazed that you are still following this thread. Just click on another thread, dude, perhaps you will learn to be a contributing poster and not just hop on here and vent

Pointless to even discuss this with PC fanboys.

Why couldn't we have gotten this red flag from you on page 1.

I'm not only shaking my head but also amazed that you are still following this thread. Just click on another thread, dude

I have not posted in a while. Why quote me?

And I am a PC gamer, so I have every right to be here. Sorry I am not a fanboy though. I am just smart enough to realize that those exact days were caused by the hack on the consoles. Any idiot can see that.

I do not care about past spikes as this is only about Dec26-28. But you guys feel threatened and start to bring up old stats. Not sure why you guys feel so threatened.......

And I am a PC gamer, so I have every right to be here. Sorry I am not a fanboy though. I am just smart enough to realize that those exact days were caused by the hack on the consoles. Any idiot can see that.

I do not care about past spikes as this is only about Dec26-28. But you guys feel threatened and start to bring up old stats. Not sure why you guys feel so threatened.......

Fair question, GAF is either slow right now or something but a whole page of this thread didnt load for me. And thus I awakened you again. GG. Wish this dude would get ignored but he's dropping bombs so yeah

Its all good. I am not trying to start a PC gaming sucks war here. I am merely pointing the obvious of what happened on those 3 days. And why those spikes are so high.

I seriously doubt it would have happened if the consoles were not hacked.

gtfo homie, just feel lucky we're not going to make you re-read your posts in 5 years LOL.

So can anyone explain not only the volume but why the top games are the top games? I feel out of touch with the PC crowd after seeing that list

Fair question, GAF is either slow right now or something but a whole page of this thread didnt load for me. And thus I awakened you again. GG

Its all good. I am not trying to start a PC gaming sucks war here. I am merely pointing the obvious of what happened on those 3 days. And why those spikes are so high.

Are you even trying to think? Past spikes were used and well used (Steam was having a sale then), also Steam is ACTUALLY having another sale now and it always attracts more people. Are you also aware that a lot of people these days spend more time at home? But surely it must be because PS4 or Xbox One servers are down.

Why the hell did I even bothered to write this anyway.

Nev

Banned
It has been hitting a solid 7.5 - 7.8 daily during non-peak times for quite sometime this year.

Is it? I haven't checked daily for a while but I remember 4-5 when I played everyday on summer. Nice to see these numbers. Shame it's still incomprehensibly far from the vastly inferior XBLA/PSN.

I'm just glad that a lot of people seem to have realized how great the PC is for gaming in the last years thanks to things like Minecraft, Wow, Lol and Steam. Hopefully the reign of overpriced games and scam practices like season passes, 14$ map packs, microtransactions in 60$ games and paywall for online brought by consoles comes to an end soon.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
yeah man there's literally NO REASON the concurrent Steam user count should hit a high mark during the three days directly following Christmas, on a weekend

the only POSSIBLE explanation is that the numbers were artificially inflated by console outages

what else COULD it be?

Qassim

Shame it's still incomprehensibly far from the vastly inferior XBLA/PSN.

Are we sure about that? It's hard to find recent numbers, but the only two recent numbers I found were from 2009. XBL hit its record at 2 million concurrent, Steam hit 2.5 million concurrent that same year. I wouldn't be surprised if PSN or XBL has hit higher peaks, but I don't think if they have, that they've done it often or consistently by particularly a wide margin, but as I said - it's hard to find recent numbers on that.

orava

i3kQVhB.png

Yeah, early this year LoL had 7.5 million concurrent users. Putting that in perspective, steam only had that much of it's entire user base online and not necessarily in game. LoL is indeed a monster of a game.

It really scares me how big of a game LoL is.

Putting it in perspective: there are more people playing LoL than there are people who owned a PS3!

Nokterian

101.gif

Zia

yeah man there's literally NO REASON the concurrent Steam user count should hit a high mark during the three days directly following Christmas, on a weekend

the only POSSIBLE explanation is that the numbers were artificially inflated by console outages

what else COULD it be?

Bro, I've inferred based your formatting that you're probably being facetious, but I mean, people don't even prefer to play on their PCs anymore. For serious, there's nobody as my junior high lunch table that even plays on PC. It's all Bone and Quadruple (lolz Wii U).

Thought for food.

Tagyhag

what else COULD it be?

What's baffling is that we can see the a bump on these dates as well with last year's numbers.

No doubt that SOME people came to Steam while their console was being hit, but to think that most if not all of that bump was purely due to the attacks is an erroneous assumption.

Past data people! It doesn't hurt to look at it!

GAF is slowly redeeming this thread

Not sure how many times I have to say that I am only talking about Dec 26-28.

Am I done in this thread. You guys are clearly to blind to understand those dates were when the home consoles were hacked. It is baffling that so many of you fail to realize that those home console users booted up their PC's to play some online games.

Some people just don't have the brains to comprehend that though.

Will you do a reality TV show please? I think you might make a lot of money. Even as just a youtube sensation

Am I done in this thread. You guys are clearly to blind to understand those dates were when the home consoles were hacked. It is baffling that so many of you fail to realize that those home console users booted up their PC's to play some online games.

But ya, this thread is pointless anyways. Quote me if you want, I will not be in here to reply.

Nokterian

Sure buddy..

derExperte

And I am a PC gamer

I don't believe you. I read that non-argument too many times on GAF from people who were clearly lying to justify their repeated shitposting and your general behavior fits exactly that well known pattern. It's almost the 'I have black friends' of gaming. But even if I did, it doesn't excuse calling others butthurt, blind, fanboys and idiots.

tcz3sFl.gif

But ya, this thread is pointless anyways. Quote me if you want, I will not be in here to reply.
Well, thank god. People tried to explain it and gave numerous reasons but you can't seem to figure it out. See you, and have a nice new year.

yuraya

Good news and well deserved. Steam has been great all year long.

Its been the most fun I had with gaming since the early to mid PS2 era.

Very happy for Valve.

I recently turned back to Steam after a long break.

It's a lot more Russian than I remember it.

From the CSGO community hub:

D7C55797AC86F9F5E5248B783C8569FF5E78FAC2

HoosTrax

I have to admit, I really don't get the attraction behind CS:GO. It feels like a throwback to a time when FPSs didn't have the RPG elements (skill-trees and perks) that make the experience more varied and customizeable.

As someone who grew up in the Unreal Tournament 99 era and spent hundreds of hours playing that game, I don't think I can really go back to that kind of game (no skill-trees / perks). Once I got a taste of games like Borderlands, Payday, and Loadout (and even Brink despite its flaws), I never wanted to go back, other than for some nostalgia trips during LAN parties.

Nzyme32

I will, just to prove a point

On those 3 days? Only? Those numbers have been met in previous weeks with the exception of yesterday (the record) consistently. Sales are the biggest Steam events and have always seen an increase in users of similar size. This is always focused on a Weekend. But lets forget, that, evidence, including the summer sale spike that was the previous record.

By your logic, as more console users are going online today since the situation has eased up, Steam numbers should be lower today right? Yet, looking at the chart right now, it is higher still than yesterday. It is already almost at 8 million.

That is actually because today is Sunday, peak time for steam users, the same as it is every Sunday. And again, the numbers are higher, because it is a holiday period and a sale - as it happens every year

feel

350k concurrent on CSGO brings a tear to the eye. In a world of shit COD clones PC gamers still know what's up.

I have to admit, I really don't get the attraction behind CS:GO. It feels like a throwback to a time when FPSs didn't have the RPG elements (skill-trees and perks) that make the experience more varied and customizeable.

As someone who grew up in the Unreal Tournament 99 era and spent hundreds of hours playing that game, I don't think I can really go back to that kind of game (no skill-trees / perks). Once I got a taste of games like Borderlands, Payday, and Loadout (and even Brink despite its flaws), I never wanted to go back, other than for some nostalgia trips during LAN parties.
Not sure if trolling.

5346303mjuyy.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I am not talking about June am I? I am talking about Dec 26-28 as shown in the chart.

I checked and the 48 hour peak from the 23rd-25th was around 7.5 million before the console DDoS situation. So the spike we're talking about here is at most ~7-8% of the userbase (0.6 million spike on total 8.1 million users), and that'a assuming none of the spike is accounted for by natural cyclical growth over the Christmas holidays. There may well be a real DDoS-related traffic spike, but it's difficult to identify one if there is one because it's pretty small in magnitude.

When you're in a hole of your own making, a shovel is not a present.

Exactly.

Qassim

The proper competitive FPS died when those sort of things were introduced. CSGO is one of the few games that is competitively viable, and that's why people like it. Those sorts of things are good for some people not good for others, and given most of the FPS scene has been taken over by games with those elements, a lot of people were left without decent games that don't include those elements.

It's why Counter-Strike is one of the most popular eSports. Its a tactics and strategy heavy game that derives deep strategy and tactics from simple, basic mechanics (economy, movement speeds, sound, positioning, offensive and defensive strategies, etc), and mastery of those mechanics is a great thing to watch.

It's why, me, as a person who used to play a lot of FPS games - doesn't play many anymore. They've been ruined for me, there are no active, popular FPS games with a serious competitive play other than Counter-Strike at the moment. Hopefully the new Unreal Tournament adds to that.

derExperte

Those additions come with a number of drawbacks though and the games you named aren't just CS but better, they're completely different. It's like comparing Spelunky with Metroid or something.

Nzyme32

And as I already tried explained to Lethal_NSF, the numbers have indeed already been beaten, and will go up again over the next 2 hours. Currently at 8,175,548

tMhxI8u.png

Top Bottom