• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like Steam hit a new record for concurrent users

Long live Steam

Long live Valve.

Wait what? That many people still play Skyrim?

nod-of-approval.gif

thanks lizard squad

lulz

Einbroch

Banned
This happens every year. Why would it suddenly be because of the console problems?
It's not "because", but you're delusional if you think at least a small portion isn't because the consoles are wonky.

If Steam went on maintenance for a week and Sony touted numbers you could say the same thing. It's not an insult at all.

Qassim

It's not "because", but you're delusional if you think at least a small portion isn't because the consoles are wonky.

If Steam went on maintenance for a week and Sony touted numbers you could say the same thing. It's not an insult at all.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but delusion is a pretty strong word for something you have absolutely no evidence of.

vazel

Banned

In that case another small portion was only playing on Steam because they were snowed in. Another small portion was only playing on Steam because they were stuck at a family gathering and were bored. Another small portion was only playing on Steam because they're too poor to afford any of the consoles. Feel free to add your own portions.

orava

Sure but that portion is probably around 0.001%

People really didn't take to Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, did they? I was going to purchase it on pc rather than wait for it on current-gen consoles.

Kinthalis

Banned
It's not insulting. It would have gotten there eventually, but the fact that people couldn't play online on their consoles is definitely a factor. It's not an insult, it's a possible explanation.

It's official, console gamers are just closeted PC gamers, confirmed!

It is obvious that the console hacks is the reason for the rise in Steam users over those 48hrs.

People prefer their consoles over PC's these days.

Qassim

It is obvious that the console hacks is the reason for the rise in Steam users over those 48hrs.

So were the consoles "hacked" in June this year when Steam hit 8 million concurrent users?

This might have been a thing if Rockstar PC ports weren't notorious for being garbage. Let's hope they have shaped up.

It could be the best port in history and it wouldn't have a chance in hell of beating CSGO or DOTA, and it wouldn't consistently beat TF2 either. Probably in the launch period, but it'd drop off fairly quickly. Console games usually don't have as much staying power as the most popular PC games.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
People really didn't take to Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, did they? I was going to purchase it on pc rather than wait for it on current-gen consoles.

my guess is fans of B2 want a real sequel (also Pre-Sequel was crazy $60 on steam before the holiday sale)

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I am not talking about June am I? I am talking about Dec 26 as shown in the chart.

I think you're missing what Qassim is getting at. They're saying that the consoles getting hacked is not why Steam has grown in popularity, using the June peak as an example. This is a sentiment I agree wholeheartedly with. Your suggestion comes across as a bit unconvincing.

Qassim

I am not talking about June am I? I am talking about Dec 26-28 as shown in the chart.

I'm asking that if you believe Steam requires the consoles to be down for Steam to hit these numbers, then something would have had to have happened in June when Steam first broke 8 million concurrent (and of course has done numerous times since then too).

UnrealEck

So the speculative thunder stealing is 'console online is down' this time. What was it in the last milestone thread?

Nzyme32

Is it really? How does that explain the increases every year at this exact time of year. It is just a popular time of year for Steam use.

Kinthalis

Banned
I am not talking about June am I? I am talking about Dec 26-28 as shown in the chart.

His point is that your logic (or lack there of) doesn't follow, given Steam has achieved similar numbers when consoles weren't being bent over by a bunch of script kiddies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Lethal_NFS

---

Counter-Strike continuing to get a raise in numbers is crazy to me. Keep chugging along to bring FPS back to the glory of #eSports so we can knock MOBAs out, plz.

I'm asking that if you believe Steam requires the consoles to be down for Steam to hit these numbers, then something would have had to have happened in June?

I do not care about June. I said that the recent console hacks was what gave Steam that boost during the exact days Steam was so active.

Stop being so butthurt about it.

TheSeks - Yes, we all have to be Junior Members on this forum at some point.... So very observant of you!

jambo

It could be the best port in history and it wouldn't have a chance in hell of beating CSGO or DOTA, and it wouldn't consistently beat TF2 either. Probably in the launch period, but it'd drop off fairly quickly. Console games usually don't have as much staying power as the most popular PC games.

Big multi-plats do well on Steam.

Skyrim was at around 325,000 a day or so after release, which was a new record back in 2011.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
[
I do not care about June. I said that the recent console hacks was what gave Steam that boost during the exact days Steam was so active.

TheSeks - Yes, we all have to be Junior Members on this forum at some point.... So very observant of you!

The irony

Qassim

Challenging your argument is not "being butthurt" and if you think any opposition to your opinion is so, I don't think it's wise for you to participate in forum conversation. Opposition will happen a lot :)

Regarding your argument: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

Big multi-plats do well on Steam.

Skyrim was at around 325,000 a day or so after release, which was a new record back in 2011.

Skyrim is also a bit of an outlier, it's from a traditionally very strong PC franchise. Most console ports have passed that point long ago, even if they spawned from strong PC franchises, they're no longer PC games. GTA is one of them. I don't doubt it could do big numbers out of the gate (although I don't suspect even as big as Skyrim, but I could be wrong), but the days where it could reach anywhere near the top of the Steam charts are long gone.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

No one is butthurt. It has more to do with what you're saying being unconvincing and based on faulty logic.

Steam has seen steady growth over the years. The popularity of sales, a growing library of titles, and the massive popularity of games like Dota 2 and CS:GO has helped Steam expand and hit new high peaks, not console downtime.

Kezen

Banned

It's very funny seeing you talking about butthurts, remember the GZ PC vs PS4 thread ? ;)

I have yet to see evidence on your part that Steam's impressive numbers have anything to do with the Xlive/PSN's Ddos.

No one is butthurt. It has more to do with what you're saying being unconvincing and based on faulty logic.

Steam has seen steady growth over the years. The popularity of sales, a growing library of titles, and the massive popularity of games like Dota 2 and CS:GO has helped Steam expand and hit new high peaks, not console downtime.

Oh sure. Just coincidence that Steam hit those numbers on the exact days the consoles were offline. I see no other way to point out the obvious here guys. Lets at least try to be smart about why it happened.

Kinthalis

Banned
Dupes, smurfs, forgotten auto logins.

Old ladies who would never actually play PC games installing the client for street cred.

I'm not kidding. Some idiot actually said that his grandmother had Steam installed on her PC (in error apparently) and insinuated that this was a common occurrence.

Panda Rin

Ahh good to see another person who only observes the month of December.

Old ladies who would never actually play PC games installing the client for street cred.

I'm not kidding. Some idiot actually said that his grandmother had Steam installed on her PC (in error apparently) and insinuated that this was a common occurrence.

I am sure there were new laptops and computers received for Christmas and people were installing Steam on their computers again.

Ahh good to see another person who only observes the month of December.

Is this thread not about December 26-28? Am I missing something? I am pretty sure the first post specifically talks about Dec 26-28

Kinthalis

Banned
Oh sure. Just coincidence that Steam hit those numbers on the exact days the consoles were offline. I see no other way to point out the obvious here guys. Lets at least try to be smart about why it happened.

People ARE being smart about it. Not you, obviously, but I feel I must point the obvious to you or risk you missing the point.

UnrealEck

Yet you disregard June's surge in users that other people pointed out. Like I said, how convenient.
People aren't saying it IS or ISN'T *a* factor in the surge. People are disputing your claim that it IS the reason.

You guys are trying to add other dates and crap to this thread. This is about the exact days the consoles were offline.

Pointless to even discuss this with PC fanboys. I guess it was just pure coincidence that these numbers happened on the same days the consoles were offline lol.

I need to get out of this thread now before I catch the dumb going on in here.

Kezen

Banned
You guys are trying to add other dates and crap to this thread. This is about the exact days the consoles were offline.

Pointless to even discuss this with PC fanboys. I guess it was just pure coincidence that these numbers happened on the same days the consoles were offline lol.

You sure made a fool of yourself.
Thank you very much for your performance.

vazel

Banned

You're ignoring past trends though. You can't just take this one event as an isolated incident.

Qassim

I'm sure the consoles being down contributed something, but there are a million other things that could have also contributed a lot more. Like, you know, more Steam active users than ever - there's a special event going on Steam at the moment, it's Christmas so people have money to spend, etc.

If Steam can hit pretty much those numbers without the consoles being down, why would it be necessary for the consoles to be down to hit those numbers now.

As for PC fanboys, lol:

Top Bottom