• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3... 5 Years Later

Thinking of how it's been 5 years since Mass Effect 3, remember how it was debated that if BioWare ever did change the ending, it would create a massive precedent that every developer would follow, thus ruining games as art forever?

Yeah. I think that was when "entitlement" became a thing. Anyone who wanted the ending changed was entitled. Anyone who criticized the ending was entitled.

Lime

It's not a good sign for a game when the sequel pretends it doesn't exist. Rocky 5 syndrome

You might say that it's not a good sign when the sequel literally has to jump all the way to a new galaxy to get away from the clusterfuck created in ME3.

Grisby

Thinking of how it's been 5 years since Mass Effect 3, remember how it was debated that if BioWare ever did change the ending, it would create a massive precedent that every developer would follow, thus ruining games as art forever?
Wonder how many people actually played the EC. I disliked the original ending immensely but never bothered to go for a third time or load up an old save to try it out.

Kind of wonder if it was worth it for Bioware.

sangreal

Wonder how many people actually played the EC. I disliked the original ending immensely but never bothered to go for a third time or load up an old save to try it out.

Kind of wonder if it was worth it for Bioware.

It's mostly a couple of still images and a voiceover. With a few other minor changes that should have been made in a regular patch

(I never played the original cut)

Col.Asher

Still hate it. No Krogan party member was a travesty replaced with a meathead I have never seen before and a fan wank EDI.

Multiplayer was all right, but the random loot chests got the best of me. I remember one dude I played with asked me every play session why I didn't use a sniper penetration mod. I simply never got the luck to unlock it.

Edit: oh yea EDI had a fucking camel toe. A robot with a camel toe

PK Gaming

I came into this thread with the intent of snidely denigrating Mass Effect 3...

I came out feeling immense sympathy for the developers, and re-appreciating it's best qualities.

If you haven't already, you should definitely watch Raycevick's video from beginning to end. The deck was stacked against Bioware from the beginning, but they did their best.

Still hate it. No Krogan party member was a travesty replaced with a meathead I have never seen before and a fan wank EDI.

Multiplayer was all right, but the random loot chests got the best of me. I remember one dude I played with asked me every play session why I didn't use a sniper penetration mod. I simply never got the luck to unlock it.

Edit: oh yea EDI had a fucking camel toe. A robot with a camel toe

Don't forget they gave us Kaiden/Ashley back which absolutely nobody asked for :/

ME2 character cast was so freaking good, heck even the dlc characters were great.

Davide

I really feel like giving it another chance again. I mean I thought it was pretty good in 2012, but it might seem better in retrospect as it seems more than ever the last of Mass Effect. Never got around to finishing the Citadel DLC. I've been waiting for a remastered version for years.

Whether it was intended or not, BioWare should have gone with Indoctrination Theory as it made the entire story so much better.

Garlador

I have a strong love-hate-hate-love relationship with ME3.

When I first started ME3, I loved it. Looked great. Played great. Rannoch was amazing. Tuchanka was amazing. It was all coming together, I thought. I missed vehicle sections and the quest structure was weird, but at the same time I appreciated not having to slowly scan for minerals or do time-consuming hacking minigames.

The ending, of course, hit me like a load of bricks, and I still detest the original ending. It can't be overstated how bad it was that it took someone like me who held Mass Effect as his favorite series outside of Zelda, going into ME3 eager to replay the series over and over to see all the different permutations, only to lose almost any desire to play any of the games again.

But while I made my displeasure with the ending known, I also was totally up for their attempts to address the biggest problems with the Extended Cut and to give us great DLC to plug up some holes. And, in my opinion, they mostly succeeded. Now, I still don't think it's perfect now, by any stretch of the imagination. It's still the weakest finale of the trilogy and the ending scenarios still suck, but while it may still lack narrative sense, it gave back what was more important and lacking the first time around: EMOTIONAL closure.

And by the time Citadel DLC hit... Bioware "got" it again. I wish, I WISH, the Bioware that took that feedback from ME3 and gave us Citadel could give us another stab at the endings from ground zero, because I'm confident they'd get it totally right, but as is it's still not awful. They salvaged an "F" conclusion and turned it into a respectable "B" ending.

And, more importantly, the fondness I have for the journey and the trilogy slowly returned. I bought my best friend an Xbox 360 and the games so she could enjoy it. I watched my wife play through it eager to find out what happens next.

ME3 had an impossible task of making "every" choice matter, and only managed to make 50% of them stick. But... those 50% were GOOD. For every "kill or spare the Rachni" invalidation, there was the choice between the Geth and Quarians on Rannoch. For every "Udina is the councilor regardless" moment, there was a Genophage mission. For every "mundane fetch-quest" there was a "shoot the bottles with Garrus" moment. Priority: Earth still is the most unenjoyable section of gameplay in the whole series, but I couldn't put my controller down when I was watching Palaven burning, or racing through the Salarian labs to protect Eve, or dodging Reaper blasts to summon Kalross.

ME3 is a game of peaks and valleys. I honestly think it has the highest highs of the entire franchise, but also the lowest lows. It's a game of extremes that, through a LOT of time and effort and through a hail of criticism that would cripple and demoralize any developer, they pulled it together, picked themselves up out of the dirt, and ended their development with the greatest piece of Mass Effect content we'd ever receive.

masseffectgroupphoto.jpg

Top Bottom