• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Performance Thread

DarkestHour

Banned
how come in other threads people are complaining about the graphics?...looks great to me on PC...are the people complaining playing on console and how big of an upgrade is Ultra on PC compared to console?

I just got done playing a bit. The graphics look OK to me, but there is some weird bug going on with with depth of field where everything gets pixelated. I also don't understand if the game is running at 1440 or 1080 for me since the graphics options say it's 1080p with some sort of scaler that I can't adjust. Weird.

Aeana

Got my 7700K coming Friday, but I decided to try with my 1080 Ti and 3570K. At 4K on ultra or high, HDR on, CPU is sitting at 100% and in conversations I can't break 48 FPS. Walking around in the starting area seems to be around 50 FPS. I expect that this will be much better with the new CPU.

At 1440p, things are much better and I can maintain 55-60 FPS on ultra it seems.

GTX 1080
i7 5820K @ 4.4 GHz
16GB RAM

Have it on autodetect (to Ultra) at 1440p. Framerate goes from 50s to 120s, some texture pop-ins, and other non-graphical glitches. Luckily, I have a g-sync monitor, so at least one of the problems is mitigated. Everything else is tolerable.

TheRed

Got my 7700K coming Friday, but I decided to try with my 1080 Ti and 3570K. At 4K on ultra or high, HDR on, CPU is sitting at 100% and in conversations I can't break 48 FPS. Walking around in the starting area seems to be around 50 FPS. I expect that this will be much better with the new CPU.

At 1440p, things are much better and I can maintain 55-60 FPS on ultra it seems.

Does HDR seem to be working right? I remember RE7 having some issues at least at launch on PC.
Really like how the game looks on my normal screen, could imagine how good HDR would look.

I should have the download finished in about an hour, but when I do I'll be able to test my older computer out with it:

GTX 660ti
i5 3570k

Wallach

CPU is sitting at 100%? Even in a conversation?

That doesn't sound right.

Aeana

Conversations seem to be more intensive than just walking around, at least in the starting area. The 3570K has served me really well for years, but it's obviously old now and bottlenecking here.

i7 6700k, GTX 1080, 32GB RAM

Everything maxed, getting 50-70 FPS on 2560x1440 depending on the environment in the first planet.

Couple shots:

c0BR9z2.jpg

TheRed

Conversations seem to be more intensive than just walking around, at least in the starting area. The 3570K has served me really well for years, but it's obviously old now and bottlenecking here.

Oh yeah that's true, I did have lower frames in a lot of conversations when I was playing. Like in the 40s sometimes, it didn't bother me because it's just a conversation but they do seem to run worse.
On GTX 1080 i5 4670k @1080p res scale 1.3 and all Ultra settings.

anyone else getting display driver crashes? I keep getting gpu 'out of memory' errors when running in 4k w/ 378.78 and this game. 378.77 doesn't seem to do it..

Shouldn't be out of v-ram.. I'm using a Titan XP (12GB)..

performance isn't as good as I'd like @ 4k w/ ultra settings.. it'll hit 60.. even maintain it in spots, but it drops a lot.

6700k @ 4.5Ghz 16GB of ram

i5 6500
16gb

can anyone tell me how their managing at 1440p?
I haven't got exact frame rates, but it's pretty smooth well over 60FPS, maybe with a few minor drops, at 3440x1440 on my i7 3770k, GTX 1070, 16GB. Haven't changed the graphic settings, it automatically set everything to Ultra.

The only downside for Ultrawide (21:9) folks is that dialogue cutscenes are 16:9.
Menus, gameplay all support 21:9 and the HUD etc scale perfectly, but it's really jarring and unfortunate that cutscenes are 16:9 as it does switch between frequently.

It's exactly like Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is, but that was fixed by a custom .exe so hopefully the same will happen here, hopefully.

His is ultrawide but still.

It's also weird that he seems to be getting better fps than some at the same resolution.

Wonder if people are checking their resolution scaling?

Lister

Banned
i5 6600k @ 4.8 Ghz
GTX 1080 8 GB
16 Gigs DDR4 2400 Mhz RAM
600 GB SSD.
21:9 3440x1440p

I'm getting a pretty solid 60 (minor drops when in heavy fights down to 55 or so FPS) at my ultra wide resolution.

Everything is on MAX with one exception, which kills my FPS and it's sad because they really should have gone with HBAO+, and that's of course, HBAO full. Gota turn that down to HBAO or I get about 35-45 FPS.

Although it's odd that CPU would be at 100%, if dropping the resolution increases frame-rate wouldn't that imply it was a GPU bottleneck? What's CPU usage like at 1440p?

Dubz

As per @etdragonpunch on Twitter

GTX 1070/i5 4670k/16 GB DDR3

High @ 1440 = 35fps
Medium-Low @ 1440 = 60 w/ drops

Holy shit, I have this exact rig. 35fps on medium at 1440p? Ugh.

Although it's odd that CPU would be at 100%, if dropping the resolution increases frame-rate wouldn't that imply it was a GPU bottleneck? What's CPU usage like at 1440p?

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. I got a feeling that this game was not optimized properly. Did nvidia release the drivers for this game?

Banned
Guess my 980Ti/3770k/16GB DDR3 isn't gonna hit 1440p60 ultra?

Well at least I got gsync so I'll be happy with 45+ FPS.

Aeana

It's also still 100% at 1440p.

The reason I'm confident that it's a CPU bottleneck is that I get precisely the same performance on high as I do on ultra on any resolution, even if 1440p does seem to eke out a few frames more for whatever reason.

Anybody understand what all these problems during cutscenes are? Game looks and runs fine outside of cutscenes, but in cutscenes, there's weird blurring happening on the edges of characters, and in the background when there should just be DOF blur, it's all pixelated.

4b1i6kM.gif

theultimo

Running a 1060 6gb and 6600k at 1080p. So far mostly 60 at the same settings as DA:I with dips now and then.

(settings are mostly ultra except post processing, effects, and lighting which is at high)

Really enjoying the game!

Got the game on Ultra preset at 2560x1080

Core i7 4790k
GTX 980ti
16gb RAM

Game is running smooth, and looks pretty nice, haven't checked the fps yet, but there was no stutters.

About to play on my laptop with 2560x1440 screen
Core i7 6700hq
GTX 1060
16gb RAM

Hoping to get smooth performance at 1440p but might have to drop to 1080p on the laptop. Will report back.

Anybody understand what all these problems during cutscenes are? Game looks and runs fine outside of cutscenes, but in cutscenes, there's weird blurring happening on the edges of characters, and in the background when there should just be DOF blur, it's all pixelated.

4b1i6kM.gif

Yeah DOF is fucked, there's one scene where its applied to the foreground and the background is in focus and the foreground faces are entirely pixelated

I think it's broken or glitched, this can't be how it's intended

It's also still 100% at 1440p.

The reason I'm confident that it's a CPU bottleneck is that I get precisely the same performance on high as I do on ultra on any resolution, even if 1440p does seem to eke out a few frames more for whatever reason.

I thought you'd stated 48-50 at 4k, while it was 55+ on 1440p. If it's truly the same at both then yeah, CPU bottleneck seems obvious.

i5 6600k @ 4.8 Ghz
GTX 1080 8 GB
16 Gigs DDR4 2400 Mhz RAM
600 GB SSD.
21:9 3440x1440p

I'm getting a pretty solid 60 (minor drops when in heavy fights down to 55 or so FPS) at my ultra wide resolution.

Everything is on MAX with one exception, which kills my FPS and it's sad because they really should have gone with HBAO+, and that's of course, HBAO full. Gota turn that down to HBAO or I get about 35-45 FPS.

This is pretty much my exact setup.

Hmmm. Wonder if they will be able to stabilize this in patches? Perhaps an Nvidia game ready driver? Unless one came out that I missed?

Aeana

I thought you'd stated 48-50 at 4k, while it was 55+ on 1440p. If it's truly the same at both then yeah, CPU bottleneck seems obvious.

No, I did say around 55 for 1440p. But even at 1440p, I get the same framerate on ultra as I do as high, is what I meant.
It's not exactly super logical, but I assume there's something in there that explains all this. Regardless, the CPU is definitely a bottleneck so we'll see how things perform with my new build.

Really enjoying the game!

Got the game on Ultra preset at 2560x1080

Core i7 4790k
GTX 980ti
16gb RAM

Game is running smooth, and looks pretty nice, haven't checked the fps yet, but there was no stutters.

About to play on my laptop with 2560x1440 screen
Core i7 6700hq
GTX 1060
16gb RAM

Hoping to get smooth performance at 1440p but might have to drop to 1080p on the laptop. Will report back.

Please report back on the laptop! I have a similar machine.

No, I did say around 55 for 1440p. But even at 1440p, I get the same framerate on ultra as I do as high, is what I meant.

Right. It's hard to say then. I wonder if there's any appreciable difference between high and ultra for certain settings. At least with resolution you know for sure that you're making the GPU work harder.

If you had infinite free time to kill (and who doesn't) it'd be interesting to see what your results were outside the starting area when you're driving around on planets and such.

theultimo

Please report back on the laptop! I have a similar machine.
If its anything like my 1060 desktop, expect 1080p for 60 fps, anything higher gets 30-40

Im currently on the second world, so far everything has been smooth though, pretty much consistent between worlds.

Effects are the most painful to the framerare tgoygh, lighting/fog can make it dip hard.

Copying a question I had in the Origin Access Trial thread:

Does anyone here have experience using a Steam Link for EA Origin games? Would this game work with a Steam Link?

I already use a few non-Steam games like Overwatch, but haven't tried any EA Origin games yet.

Wallach

It still doesn't sound right. Especially in a conversation I have a hard time understanding what they are occupying so much CPU time with. Does it ever drop below 100% utilization?

theultimo

It still doesn't sound right. Especially in a conversation I have a hard time understanding what they are occupying so much CPU time with. Does it ever drop below 100% utilization?
Its true, possibly tessellation maxing? Sometimes cutscenes/convos can drop where the world doesnt.

scitek

I wonder if there's a way to force Dolby Vision over HDR10. It's defaulting to the latter for, but my TV supports both.

TitusTroy

Happy to read that my 970 will scrape by. This is likely its last hurrah.

I haven't seen too many people post with 970 impressions...aren't people with 970's lowering settings to Medium?...I have a 970 and want to play with everything on Ultra and get close to 60fps

Top Bottom