• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

13ruce

Banned
Bowser Jr<3 was my fav on the Wii version i am so gonna put him in that koopa clown car:)

Great reviews seeing it beat the original release is very cool and i can understand why.

Kart94

Banned
I wonder if Jim Sterling will review this. He gave Mario Kart 7 a 5.

LOL giving that, while giving Call of Duty MW3 a free pass for whatever issue he had with MK 7 is why i never take him seriously. I never understand why people look up to him. I see him as a contrarian.

When were they not allowed to be overrated?

"Overrated"
you-keep-using-that-word.jpg

LOL giving that, while giving Call of Duty MW3 a free pass for whatever issue he had with MK 7 is why i never take him seriously. I never understand why people look up to him. I see him as a contrarian.

5/10 for Mario Kart 7 isn't really contrarian given that the game had baffling omissions and was overall a safe retread of MKDS with nothing exciting going for it.

Kart94

Banned
5/10 for Mario Kart 7 isn't really contrarian given that the game had baffling omissions and was overall a safe retread of MKDS with nothing exciting going for it.

Yet look at MW3. Same problems. Retread of past COD games with nothing exciting or anything to choose over past COD games. 9/10

No i didn't say anything about that.

i am asking how is it overrated. It is a simple question.

I already said why I feel it's overrated.

This isn't a new Mario Kart. This is MORE MK8. This Switch port... is overrated. The game is 3 years old.. some DLC 3 years later doesn't do shit for me.

So, as I said... the game is not a 94 game in my opinion. I think 88 is a great score for it.

Hence.. I think it's overrated.

Servbot24

Banned
Yet look at MW3. Same problems. Retread of past COD games with nothing exciting or anything to choose over past COD games. 9/10
5/10 is incredibly low for such a great game as MK7, but reviews aren't formulas. They're feelings, and Jim has every right to hold inconsistent metrics as long as he articulates his feelings in a comprehensible way.

I will say I can't think of any remasters, or even remakes for that matter, that scored higher than the original release, let alone this much higher. It's a little odd.
I think it's odd that a game could improve and as a result get a lower score.

I will say I can't think of any remasters, or even remakes for that matter, that scored higher than the original release, let alone this much higher. It's a little odd.

Battle Mode must have really impressed reviewers. Plus I really do think the 16 DLC tracks add a huge amount to the package.

With that said, a 94 is still more than I was expecting. I was thinking it'd hit 90.

Kebiinu

Banned
Is it out of the question that some people might think this port is overrated?

Is it THAT ludicrous of an idea?

You keep throwing that word around without context, it just makes you look like a troll... Just explain why you think the way you do, lol.

FingerBang

I loved Mario Kart 8 and I might pick up the Switch version as well, but I can't really take those reviews seriously.

I think the game was a masterpiece, but I don't think it is fair to give it a 10 after 3 years.

I think it's a result of having a strong original game and then adding a major mode to it. For me and a lot of other people Battle Mode is an integral part of Mario Kart and the fact they brought it over and gave a robust set of modes and maps really sweetens the deal.

I think a lot of games when remastered show some of their age and end up not being as good as you remember. With Mario Kart 8 it's not that old and it was a fantastic game to begin with. I'm not of the opinion that a game suddenly becomes worse as time goes on or that it shouldn't be rated so highly just because you could buy it's original release in the past.

Kart94

Banned
5/10 is incredibly low for such a great game as MK7, but reviews aren't formulas. They're feelings, and Jim has every right to hold inconsistent metrics as long as he articulates his feelings in a comprehensible way.

Yes i am aware of it. And i have every right to consider that as part of long list reasons why I give no weight to whatever he says considering how there are few racer and 3rd person shooters like COD MW3 were dime a dozen.

I think what people cant get their mind around is

Mario kart 8 gets an 88 and its remaster goes up 6 points to 94

While other games, for example, TLOU gets a 95 and its remaster stays a 95.

Both have comparable addidtions to their remasters.

Though they are different genres one could argue tlou is a more complete package too offering substantial SP and MP vs. mk's MP focus

I just don't jive with the logic that if a game's a port it's exempt from getting 9s and 10s. I think the additional content and sheer quality of the game in general explain why it's getting such high marks.

Then again I think Splatoon 2 is a sequel and not a port but people think I'm crazy for that one too~

Instro

I think it's odd that a game could improve and as a result get a lower score.

I don't particularly disagree, but just going by normal industry standards, re-releases are typically knocked a few points for being an old game with some updates. Generally speaking the sentiment is that a re-release doesn't have the same impact as the original did, and having played it once before, may be a bit more critical on certain aspects.

While this remaster fixes several issues with MK8, it also doesn't improve single player or online functionality, so I can understand why folks are a little taken aback by a large score increase. Perhaps it's more of an indictment of the WiiU, and how shitty a console it was, that it held back a game from getting a better score when it originally release.

Though they are different genres one could argue tlou is a more complete package too offering substantial SP and MP vs. mk's MP focus

I was thinking about that a minute ago, but if you look at Gamerankings since it tracks decimals places, Last of Us PS4 is almost a full point ahead of the original release.

Servbot24

Banned
I just don't jive with the logic that if a game's a port it's exempt from getting 9s and 10s. I think the additional content and sheer quality of the game in general explain why it's getting such high marks.
Yup. If a game gets improved in the remaster and then gets a lower score it means the original game was overrated and the reviewer did a bad job reviewing the original. Any game that was "a good game for the time" is not a good game at all and never was.

Perhaps it's more of an indictment of the WiiU, and how shitty a console it was, that it held back a game from getting a better score when it originally release.

I can see that happening, just like i can see reviewers wanting to hype up a launch title. Same thing happens on all consoles.

Draper

So how do people plan on playing local multiplayer with this game?

Separate Pro Controllers?

Separated Joy cons?

Joy con pairs for each player?

Fat4all

Banned
Then again I think Splatoon 2 is a sequel and not a port but people think I'm crazy for that one too~

In that case, for me at least, it will really depend on how different the new content ends up feeling, and how the community latches to it (if they do). Otherwise, it's probably just end up feeling more like a Splatoon 1 remix with some DLC.

Still gonna buy it, tho.

Realeza

Banned

Mario Kart 8 at 88 is underrated. The best arcade racer of all time is easily in the 95s if you care about scores and shit. Reviewers seem to have realized that, which explains the higher reviews.

Perhaps it's more of an indictment of the WiiU, and how shitty a console it was, that it held back a game from getting a better score when it originally release.

Now THAT would be something... the mindshare of a console affecting the perception of software to such an extent!

Mario Kart 8 was great, except for the lack of a real Battle Mode. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe fixes that error.

There are no comparable additions to TLOU: Remastered. There was nothing the original was really missing that was added. Both offer collections of previous content with improved presentation. One fixes a major error in the first title.

Mory Dunz

MK8's dlc effectively added 50% worth of content....not counting the battle mode (which was the main complaint).

94 for MK8D sounds alright.

brinstar

So how do people plan on playing local multiplayer with this game?

Separate Pro Controllers?

Separated Joy cons?

Joy con pairs for each player?
my friends all have switches so we'll likely end up playing multiplayer on handheld so we have our own screens

KingBroly

Banned

Mario Kart 8 deserves everything and more for immortalizing Polygon's embarrassing Pie Graphs.

Completely re-doing Battle Mode is something that was necessary and makes the game feel more complete.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I already said why I feel it's overrated.

This isn't a new Mario Kart. This is MORE MK8. This Switch port... is overrated. The game is 3 years old.. some DLC 3 years later doesn't do shit for me.

So, as I said... the game is not a 94 game in my opinion. I think 88 is a great score for it.

Hence.. I think it's overrated.
Yeah you are really misusing the word overrated. You keep admitting to MK8 being a great game, and this is all of that "great game" plus all of the DLC, 16 new tracks, three new battle modes, new characters.. by definition it is quantitatively better than MK8.

Now obviously you don't seem to have interest in "more MK8", but if you take a widely regarded great game, and add stuff making it better... it is objectively impossible to be overrated.. even "IMHO".

All of the reasons you have point to why your interest is lowered,, but literally none of them point out why the game is overrated. Mario Kart 8 plus more stuff and better battle modes and arenas is a better Mario Kart 8. Squabbling over 2-6 points isn't any sort of proof of being overrated.

So when is Polygon going to update the chart?

mario_kart_pie_chart.jpg

I need to know from them if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is going to be the worst selling Mario Kart game of all time.

Wtf is that picture?? Did Polygon seriously try to downplay Mario Kart sales by comparing series totals to combined totals of every console sold? Hahha

Mario Kart 8 at 88 is underrated. The best arcade racer of all time is easily in the 95s if you care about scores and shit. Reviewers seem to have realized that, which explains the higher reviews.
I think you missed my point entirely. Also i didnt say i cared about review scores., im explaining why other people in this thread are talking about them.

and fine if you want to assign your opinionated arbitrary number to mario kart 8, okay its 95 you say, not an agregate but we'll stick with it.... but that means deluxe dropped 1 point. Which back to the original point is that people would understand and be okay with that much more than the current jump.

Its not the review number it was given its the large jump for an old remaster, people have an issue with because its VERY out of the ordinary.

Yeah you are really misusing the word overrated. You keep admitting to MK8 being a great game, and this is all of that "great game" plus all of the DLC, 16 new tracks, three new battle modes, new characters.. by definition it is quantitatively better than MK8.

Now obviously you don't seem to have interest in "more MK8", but if you take a widely regarded great game, and add stuff making it better... it is objectively impossible to be overrated.. even "IMHO".

All of the reasons you have point to why your interest is lowered,, but literally none of them point out why the game is overrated. Mario Kart 8 plus more stuff and better battle modes and arenas is a better Mario Kart 8. Squabbling over 2-6 points isn't any sort of proof of being overrated.

OMG... lol

Do YOU know what overrated means? I quite clearly think that MK8 Deluxe is overrated. I think the PORT is scoring higher than it deserves.

There's really no arguing that I think that. You don't get to decide what I think is overrated or not. It doesn't mean I have the definition wrong! :D

I feel the game scoring an 88 is fair. I think being a point or 2 better is fine.. I think being 6 points higher.. is overrated. Very simple.

Realeza

Banned
OMG... lol

Do YOU know what overrated means? I quite clearly think that MK8 Deluxe is overrated. I think the PORT is scoring higher than it deserves.

There's really no arguing that I think that. You don't get to decide what I think is overrated or not. It doesn't mean I have the definition wrong! :D

I feel the game scoring an 88 is fair. I think being a point or 2 better is fine.. I think being 6 points higher.. is overrated. Very simple.

No. Mario Kart 8 WiiU was underrated if anything, lol.

Vinnk

Original got an 88.

DX version looks better, plays better, contains all the DLC, has more stages, more characters, an actually fun battle mode, and more. All at the same price as the original.

I have not played it myself but after reading the reviews and about how much people are enjoying the new stuff, 94 sounds fine to me. I don't understand the problem...

Just console warz?

Top Bottom