• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth Beta PC (dota clone)

Ferrio

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
Yeah, I also like how when you click on a recipe, you can automatically buy all the items right inside the recipe. I dunno if that was in DOTA, but it's pretty convenient.

Nope, you had to track that shit down. Though in icefrog's defense I doubt the WC3 engine has that capability. Least that's not a pain in the ass. (pop up windows in WC3 games suuucks)

dakilla13

Yeah would love to get a key if any are still out there. I liked Savage 2 a lot, one of the more under the radar games that was a blast. Hopefully S2 puts a lot of polish into this game.

Nome

Shining Sunshine said:
Is there something good about this over DotA if it was meant to be the same thing?

Better graphics? Something?

Matchmaking.
No engine limitations.
Ability to reconnect if you leave/disconnect.
Server-based hosting (ANYONE can host in S2Games' servers... no firewall crap).
Built-in VoIP.

And the devs are REALLY responsive. I mean, REALLY responsive.

Also, I have two keys to give out. If you want a key, make a post here saying why you want it, your DotA experience, and promise me that you won't be a griefer =P

Calidor

Sorry to bump this thread but I just wanted to give my impressions.

The game is literally DotA with a few additions that I like very much:

reconnect feature is a godsend and the leaver req for new games is a really good idea
the ladder system is awesome, although is pretty easy to exploit
the different maps are cool too (there are two maps and one more is coming with the next patch)
the new heroes are ok, I like the scout.

the not so good part is that IMO is too similar to DotA, I'd love to see more new stuff (items, heroes, creeps)
Also, right now is populated with noobs and if you have been playing DotA for a couple years like myself you'll end up 15-0 in most games which can be pretty boring (for both parts)

What I really dislike is that I find the game kinda clunky, unresponsive and straight confusing with so much visual effects, explosions and the damn close zoom. Although my 4 years old PC can be part of the problem :lol

Finally I'll say that is a good game that stills needs some polishing. Anyway is a great refresh for dota burned players like myself, but beware noobs because the learning curve might be steeper than DotA.

BTW is this game going to be free?

Mindlog

Casval said:
Matchmaking.
No engine limitations.
Ability to reconnect if you leave/disconnect.
Server-based hosting (ANYONE can host in S2Games' servers... no firewall crap).
Built-in VoIP.

And the devs are REALLY responsive. I mean, REALLY responsive.

Also, I have two keys to give out. If you want a key, make a post here saying why you want it, your DotA experience, and promise me that you won't be a griefer =P

I really hope S2 finds even more success. The things they did for Savage 2 in supporting the comp community was something special. I wish I had the time to play Savage 2 as much as I did the first.

I don't play DOTA otherwise I'd be all
OMGS.gif
over this game.

KillerAJD

Absolutely loved watching the guys at S2 put part of this game together. I got to intern with them for awhile and it was awesome. Glad to see the game already in beta! Anyone got a beta key or am I just gonna have to call up Jesse? :p

DaveKap

Banned
I PM'd for an invite and received no reply. Am I supposed to just ask for one in the thread now? Consider this post my formal request.

Edit: I don't grief DOTA (what's the point) so I promise not to grief. My experience is I used to play a ton back when the game was still being built (old WC3 days) but slowly petered off after it just got too ridiculous hoping for the engine to run well each game. I'd love to get back into it via this new game.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Casval said:
i'd like a key.

why? cause it looks interesting and i've heard a lot of talk about dota interested in knowing what all the fuss is.

dota experience? zero. i've seen other people play.... that's it.

i'm too much of a noob to be a griefer.

Dina

Casval said:

Why? Cause DotA was awesome (except the B.net community) and this proves to be even better. I played DotA on and off for about 6 months and am currently delving into 6.60.

Griefer, hell na!

Nome

DaveKap and Scrow PM me with your email.

Sorry Dina, only had 2 invites. You'll be next on the queue though, if I get more :lol

Dina

Casval said:
DaveKap and Scrow PM me with your email.

Sorry Dina, only had 2 invites. You'll be next on the queue though, if I get more :lol

It's cool. 6.60 will tide me over nice :)

hwateber

I used to play a lot of dota but quit when it distracted me too much from school :lol . If anyone gets another invite, consider this post a request to be in the queue.

Ri'Orius

If anyone still needs a key, go here in the next 36 hours and you can get one.

Allegedly it's for Facebook fans of the game, but I'm not sure if you actually need to be signed up to get one (if not, it's easy to sign up as a fan if you already have a Facebook account). Haven't tried getting a key meself, sorry; thanks again to blitz64!

Rayven

aka surume
Ri'Orius said:
If anyone still needs a key, go here in the next 36 hours and you can get one.

Allegedly it's for Facebook fans of the game, but I'm not sure if you actually need to be signed up to get one (if not, it's easy to sign up as a fan if you already have a Facebook account). Haven't tried getting a key meself, sorry; thanks again to blitz64!
thanks. link worked for me.

blitz64

More beta keys were handed out today to beta testers. With the facebook link above, everyone who really wants one should get one by now.

Got into this and League of Legends over the past few days, the latter which had a 3000 key sendoff. Predictably, LoL doesn't run well at all on my laptop, kicking with 12 fps, so I put a bit more time into Heroes of Newarth. Good fun as a DOTA-like, haven't really put enough time to put together a good judgement about it, but I enjoy it so far.

blitz64

Anyone have any League of Legend beta key I can have? I've been following LoL for more than half a year. Was hoping to get into the beta and then I end up in HoN, a game I never heard of.

blitz64 said:
Anyone have any League of Legend beta key I can have? I've been following LoL for more than half a year. Was hoping to get into the beta and then I end up in HoN, a game I never heard of.

They're trying to get as many people on as they can this weekend, so everyone who was on before the 3000 person invite got extra invites as well that they're encouraged to send out. If you go the #leagueoflegends channel on QuakeNet and ask around, someone might feel nice and send you one.

mikeGFG

Banned
EGM92 said:
Man some of these players are fucking pricks...

fucking tell me about it. the community is awful.

/join "n00bs only :)"
"hey guys. first time here. whats a creep?"
"lol"
"omg r u ****ing serious?"
"stop feeding retart"
"votekick the noob plz"

blitz64

Alot of newbie games in HoN are for average players to join and kill newbies.

Just like in dota, there are usually 1-2 newbies in a newbie game. the rest are decent or pro players powning newbies or trying out a new hero.

You really need to have thick skin and ignore all the trash talking in this game.

This community is going to be terrible unless you have friends who play the game and can teach you just like beta.

I haven't really played online in Demigod I like the community from what I have experienced.

Sanjay

This game is very hard, I'm good at Demigod but this game I just keep dying! I join the "Noob only" games but I'm getting killed by 1 encounter, I was the puppet guy, he has some cool moves but not so cool when all it took was one hit for me to die!

Hitmeneer

Mike G.E.D. said:
fucking tell me about it. the community is awful.

/join "n00bs only :)"
"hey guys. first time here. whats a creep?"
"lol"
"omg r u ****ing serious?"
"stop feeding retart"
"votekick the noob plz"

I got the same experience.... So they actually have the perfect DOTA clone :p

That is what I like about Demigod, the community. Almost no swearing or calling people noobs, just playing a game for fun.

blitz64

Demigod is a very easy game compared to dota or HoN. The game speed in demigod is like slow motion compared to HoN. That is why alot of dota players don't like demigod, because they feel like they are playing in slow motion.

In HoN, as a newbie, you can die in 2 seconds and you have no idea why. There's only 8 heroes in demigod, after 4 games, you probably seen every demigod and what moves they can do.

You can play 20 HoN games and still haven't seen every hero and what abilities, strengths, weakness each hero has. The hero combinations goes up exponentially once you have 40+ heroes. It could take weeks to master compared to demigod which just takes a few days to master.

EGM92

Hitmeneer said:
I got the same experience.... So they actually have the perfect DOTA clone :p

That is what I like about Demigod, the community. Almost no swearing or calling people noobs, just playing a game for fun.

I WISH this had the demigod community, I tried to play another game, I played DOTA back in the day for like 2 months and since have forgotten almost everything about it. I put some time into Demigod but it's just not my kind of game, I was playing this and I had people on my own team wanting to fucking kick me cause I died too many times (11) while the fuckers who wanted to kick me had 8-9 deaths. I was playing a support character, you know shields on their guys while they kill other heroes etc. I mean wtf?!

Swag

Tremis said:
would also love an extra but am a noob for Dota save this.

haha is this for real :lol 

EGM92 said:
I WISH this had the demigod community, I tried to play another game, I played DOTA back in the day for like 2 months and since have forgotten almost everything about it.  I put some time into Demigod but it's just not my kind of game, I was playing this and I had people on my own team wanting to fucking kick me cause I died too many times (11) while the fuckers who wanted to kick me had 8-9 deaths. I was playing a support character, you know shields on their guys while they kill other heroes etc. I mean wtf?!

The Dota community is very unforgiving when it comes to new players joining games that aren't designated for them. Mostly due to the fact that winning a game when your man down is easier then winning a 5 versus 5 game with someone that's new on your team. If people start griefing you about your score just ignore them and focus on playing more defensively usually this will save your life unless they purposefully target you which tends to happen if the enemy team labels you as a noob.

Anyway on to Dota, I've been playing for almost 4 years now, mostly on and off. Dota is really fun when your playing with friends / clan mates, I don't play solo pugs anymore because I don't really enjoy dealing with the plethora of people that join pro games when they simply aren't at that level. Looking forward to something different ( LoL / HoN ) hopefully LoL delivers. My favorite heroes are Alchemist and Lich, alchemist cause he's really complete as a hero ( stun regen aoe bonus gold ) and lich for the funny chain ice setups that can be made.

Sanjay

blitz64 said:
Demigod is a very easy game compared to dota or HoN. The game speed in demigod is like slow motion compared to HoN. That is why alot of dota players don't like demigod, because they feel like they are playing in slow motion.

In HoN, as a newbie, you can die in 2 seconds and you have no idea why. There's only 8 heroes in demigod, after 4 games, you probably seen every demigod and what moves they can do.

You can play 20 HoN games and still haven't seen every hero and what abilities, strengths, weakness each hero has. The hero combinations goes up exponentially once you have 40+ heroes. It could take weeks to master compared to demigod which just takes a few days to master.

Those are the reason I like Demigod though :( I'm going to keep on playing this trying to get better but damn do I get dominated, but its a sight to behold when your by your self and you get ambushed by 3 Heroes out the blue. But yeah when you die in 1 second by 1 hero that gives me a WTF moment.

Also I don't like mage guy and the scout, they can teleport by miles and go invisible, sounds very game breaking to me?

Cirruss

Just played my first game, played as Chronos. We won even though I was complete crap and had a 1:11 K:D ratio :lol

I haven't played Dota in ages but i still rmember the thing i hated most about it was that it was annoying scrolling a through the crappy custom games brwoser that warcraft had trying to find a half decent server that didnt all quit out.

blitz64

Sanjay said:
Also I don't like mage guy and the scout, they can teleport by miles and go invisible, sounds very game breaking to me?

There are a few invisible units in this game just like dota.

To counter:
Stay near a tower, tower gives you sight to invisible units.
Buy an eye item that lets you see invisible units.

Konil

Neo Member
Not like I was very good at ole' DOTA to beign with, but so far Im having trouble telling heroes apart. I think there should be a colour aura or something so its easier to tell who's on which team.

Other than that, its kinda like a dream come true!

Cirruss

Konil said:
Not like I was very good at ole' DOTA to beign with, but so far Im having trouble telling heroes apart. I think there should be a colour aura or something so its easier to tell who's on which team.

Other than that, its kinda like a dream come true!

Click the button on the top left of the minimap and it changes all players to either green or red.

Top Bottom