• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth Beta PC (dota clone)

I'd love a key also if I can get one.

I quit DotA a few months ago, was getting a bit old and I was in the space where I was a little too good at public games but not practiced enough to get back into proper tournaments. Be good to see where they could take it without the limitations of being a WC3 map.

ninjarr

Neo Member
To those of you who are DotA vets but HoN noobs, there are a couple DotA->HoN Guides on their Guides forum (sticky'd) that have lists of hero conversions (names and slight spell changes when applicable) as well as item conversions.

If you have a dual monitor and can set this up next to you or print it out it makes the relearning process much easier.

Enjoying the game immensely. Very impressed by S2's design changes, just think they need to work on the UI (make a "simple" mode for newbies and a "minimum" mode for pros) and they've got a very solid investment.

Scrow said:
lol, tell me about it. after my initial positive experience a day or so later it was the complete opposite.

some dude was being a complete prick. calling me every name under the sun (racial slurs included even though he knows nothing about me), voting to have me kicked multiple times, and all because i was playing like a noob.... in a noob ONLY match. unbelievable.

his name was "ichopwood" or something. if you see him give him a "fuck you" from me and put him on your ignore list :)

Exact same experience with me, we're like twins :)

ninjarr

Neo Member
Pudge was always a personal favorite, though I liked Mirana a lot too and any other hero that required immense skill to land abilities. Using them correctly was the ultimate satisfaction in that game, and the feeling transcends to HoN just as well.

I am constantly impressed by the low latency and near-instant spell casts on HoN. I love it.

Dreavus

Got a beta key from a friend and we all jumped into a 5v5...

...and got rolled. :lol

It doesn't help that none of us are familiar with what each hero is capable of, which is huge in a game like this. In the first game I chose the Pharaoh, who is similar to the Clockwerk from Dota iirc, but I never played him in Dota so I had no idea what I was doing. I tried another game on my own, and chose Legionnaire, who is the successor of my old stand-by Axe, and I did way better. My double Vanguard build (or whatever the equivalent item is called) still works! :D

Graphics are nice, but sometimes it gets to the point where it's hard to see what is happening in the bigger fights. Although some of that is due to the "we don't know what any of these heroes can do" thing. There are some other nice touches as well, such as item recipes popping up an extra menu where you can just buy what you need all in one spot instead of memorizing the names and hunting through the shops for them.

It was quite fun, but the game is so close to Dota that I'm questioning why it exists at all. Around half or more of the heroes are direct descendants of Dota characters, and as far as I know, all the items that are currently implemented are directly lifted from Dota as well. I dunno, I'll probably keep playing the beta and may even consider a purchase if they can bust out some new maps, items, and more unique heroes. The community didn't seem nearly as shitty, but I kind of know what I am doing so I probably don't enrage people quite as much as a newer player might.

blitz64

According to S2's marketing research, there are millions of dota players in the world.
They said if only 5% of dota players bought HoN, they would have profit.

There are other maps in the game that give you a different experience if you are tired of the dota map.

I was overwhelmed by the graphics at first but now I'm slowly getting used to it.

Akia

Thanks to J-Rod in this thread, I've been able to play the HoN beta with some rl friends that I used to play Dota with. We're all pretty impressed by the online infrastructure. Coming from regular dota, HoN's online connectivity stuff is like godsend. Being able to invite people into a game you created, the stat tracking and most of all the game mode filters just make HoN's online experience better than Dota's ever was. We're still getting used to all the quirks with the UI while playing.

The biggest complaint I have about this game is the terrible art style. I understand that dota is riding on the coattails of Blizzard's artists but there is an big downgrade present when you switch over to HoN. The graphics are great but the design of the character models (War3's character models had less polys but still looked cool), the general in-game UI and the Hellbourne tileset all need drastic work. I'm also not a fan of the announcer saying "DOTA!" out loud and the font for the announcements I believe doesn't fit the game at all.

I won't comment on the music or the voice over work because I presume those aren't finished yet.

Davidion

I just played my first game last night and holy shit did I ever get trashed. :lol I run into the same problem that I do with Demigod, in that I end up not focusing on killing as much creeps as I should early game and the shortcoming just snowballs, except it's 10x worse than Demigod. :lol

Think I'll try a couple of runs with fellow GAFfer Pillowknight tonight and hope I don't get slaughtered again. Anyone else playing regularly that run group games?

Anso

I still think the original poster should update the title so people realize it's for Mac OS X and Linux too. That's not very common so it's sure to draw a crowd.

DO IT!

blitz64

Regarding Demigod, I find myself trying to zoom out often the first few games I played. I hate being stuck looking at a small space in HoN.

HoN has more most custom games in beta than Demigod ever did in full release. Anytime you log into HoN, there's like 40+ games in the list, most with 6+ players.
Demigod's custom games list has only 10 games during it's peak hours. Which means HoN's community will be much much larger than Demigod when it gets released.

Saterium

If anyone has any extra beta keys I'd really appreciate it.. Loved Demigod, never really got into DOTA because the assholes on BNET would kick me the second I joined, even if I had the map. Regardless, I've love to play a bit of HoN. I also like long walks on the beach.

Davidion

Saterium said:
If anyone has any extra beta keys I'd really appreciate it.. Loved Demigod, never really got into DOTA because the assholes on BNET would kick me the second I joined, even if I had the map. Regardless, I've love to play a bit of HoN. I also like long walks on the beach.

I have some codes that I'll post shortly. Or just PM me for them.

Konil

Neo Member
Its amazing how nice people are in HoN! One of the things I hated most about playing DOTA was dealing with the douchebagery associated with it. Here, people compliment each other and actually talk tactics, not just smack.

vertopci

Konil said:
Its amazing how nice people are in HoN! One of the things I hated most about playing DOTA was dealing with the douchebagery associated with it. Here, people compliment each other and actually talk tactics, not just smack.

Those DOTA douchebags are still around. You'll run into them more and more when you get to level 6 I'm sure.

Nome

I have 5 keys right now--send me your email via PM and you'll get one!

Also, read my guides! I go by Nome on their beta forums :O

Ferrio said:
Feed more jackass!

heh
:( When one guy is 18-0 and level 20 while everyone else is in the early teens you know something's going on
Thanks to J-Rod in this thread, I've been able to play the HoN beta with some rl friends that I used to play Dota with. We're all pretty impressed by the online infrastructure. Coming from regular dota, HoN's online connectivity stuff is like godsend. Being able to invite people into a game you created, the stat tracking and most of all the game mode filters just make HoN's online experience better than Dota's ever was. We're still getting used to all the quirks with the UI while playing.
This can't be said enough, this game's UI is amazing.

Davidion

PillowKnight said:
:( When one guy is 18-0 and level 20 while everyone else is in the early teens you know something's going on

You've got it good! I think I was like lvl 4 while the top guy on my team was like 16 or something... :x

In this game, taking a trip back to the pool to heal costs you SO much exp it's not even funny. Holy crap.

Verto, you play?

ninjarr

Neo Member
The game's UI is amazing in some ways (shopping functionality) but poor in others. It is really very flashy and complicated which makes the already flashy and complicated gameplay even more flashy and complicated.

It is mostly okay, I just wish they'd add a "minimum" mode with just some simple health/mana bars, skill/item icons and a map.

It works well but imo needs work. They said they are shrinking the shopping UI soon, which will be hugely helpful for shopping at a distance.

blitz64

Davidion said:
In this game, taking a trip back to the pool to heal costs you SO much exp it's not even funny. Holy crap.

For newbies: Buy a bottle right at the beginning of the game(The item that you can use 3 times to regen your hp/mana). Play the middle lane as a newbie.

Once you used up the bottle. Walk to the river to the left or right to get a rune. Put the rune in the bottle, left click bottle and left click rune. That will fill up the bottle so you can use it 3 times again. This way you never have to go back home to heal. Runes reappear on the river exactly 2 minutes on the game timer (2:00, 4:00, 6:00, etc.)

My account is Blitz

Ferrio

Banned
blitz64 said:
For newbies: Buy a bottle right at the beginning of the game(The item that you can use 3 times to regen your hp/mana). Play the middle lane as a newbie.

Once you used up the bottle. Walk to the river to the left or right to get a rune. Put the rune in the bottle, left click bottle and left click rune. That will fill up the bottle so you can use it 3 times again. This way you never have to go back home to heal. Runes reappear on the river exactly 2 minutes on the game timer (2:00, 4:00, 6:00, etc.)

My account is Blitz

Wow, are you describing this game? Talk about Dota-clone to the extreme.

"Wow, are you describing this game? Talk about Dota-clone to the extreme."

It is openly admitted by the devs to be a 100% dota clone. It is intended to be DOTA 2.0.

Davidion

blitz64 said:

My account is Blitz

Thanks!

I got torn up by a madman last night. The guy's attack rate was like 3/second by end-game. :lol

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Teknopathetic said:
"Wow, are you describing this game? Talk about Dota-clone to the extreme."

It is openly admitted by the devs to be a 100% dota clone. It is intended to be DOTA 2.0.
yeah, there are even lists which state

this newerth hero = this dota hero

or

this newerth item = this dota item

it's pretty much an exact replica.

Sanjay

Davidion said:
I just played my first game last night and holy shit did I ever get trashed. :lol I run into the same problem that I do with Demigod, in that I end up not focusing on killing as much creeps as I should early game and the shortcoming just snowballs, except it's 10x worse than Demigod. :lol

Think I'll try a couple of runs with fellow GAFfer Pillowknight tonight and hope I don't get slaughtered again. Anyone else playing regularly that run group games?

Yeah we do have a group that plays regularly daily, same lot as the Demigod lot you pld with and then some more like Pillow.

My stats, just change the name to your tag and it will show your stats.
sig.php

Davidion said:
I got torn up by a madman last night. The guy's attack rate was like 3/second by end-game. :lol

Let him tear you up, but buy Barbed Armor when activated, any damage you take will be returned to enemy units. Lasts 4 seconds. Cooldown: 15 seconds. Then watch him die by his own hands.

vertopci

Davidion said:
You've got it good! I think I was like lvl 4 while the top guy on my team was like 16 or something... :x

Verto, you play?

Yea I play. We need to play together sometime :D

dpp

Neo Member
I've been playing the beta practically every time I can and it's just awesome. I was a borderline noob (I played against DotA against the AI once in a while), so I didn't completely suck. Now I probably have 60 games, killing more than dying, which is always nice...

However, my impression is that it is almost as high barrier to entry as DotA, as it is merciless to brand new players since there are so many intricacies and there isn't an option to play just against the AI or a tutorial of any sort.

To make things worse, having someone that doesn't have a clue about the game in your team is in fact much, much worse than playing with one less player, as his deaths will give XP and $ to the opposing team. This usually leads to the team voting to boot the problematic player and this will surely be frustrating to anyone trying to pick it up.

At least to mitigate this, there is a wealth of guides about DotA that are directly applicable to HoN, so people should get started there. I definitely recommend this game, but be prepared to lose a LOT if you're new to the genre.

dpp said:
I've been playing the beta practically every time I can and it's just awesome. I was a borderline noob (I played against DotA against the AI once in a while), so I didn't completely suck. Now I probably have 60 games, killing more than dying, which is always nice...

However, my impression is that it is almost as high barrier to entry as DotA, as it is merciless to brand new players since there are so many intricacies and there isn't an option to play just against the AI or a tutorial of any sort.

To make things worse, having someone that doesn't have a clue about the game in your team is in fact much, much worse than playing with one less player, as his deaths will give XP and $ to the opposing team. This usually leads to the team voting to boot the problematic player and this will surely be frustrating to anyone trying to pick it up.

At least to mitigate this, there is a wealth of guides about DotA that are directly applicable to HoN, so people should get started there. I definitely recommend this game, but be prepared to lose a LOT if you're new to the genre.

Actually, In DotA, its almost good having one less player. Not just because of his deaths disadvantages, but because it will allow a extra player (additionally to the one in the middle) to get higher XP and easier money. Of course, in huge battles you will need everyone to make use of their skills to survive, but that goes along with the balance of your team.

blitz64

S2 will be giving out another 30,000 beta keys to all facebook members Today. So keep an eye out and become a fan of the game if you have a facebook acount.

Now is the best time to learn dota or get into this genre. There are thousands of newbies everyday in this game.

Demigod players, what is your HoN account names and do you still meet in the #neogaf irc chatroom? It's empty there. Today's HoN patch include clan support. We should form a neogaf clan.

PasteyMF

I've got 4 beta keys to give away.
If you've played Demigod/DotA before, PM me your email address and one is yours!
If you haven't, this is like throwing you into a giant pit of blood hungry wolves and I don't recommend playing it until they have a tutorial. :)

Davidion

blitz64 said:
S2 will be giving out another 30,000 beta keys to all facebook members Today. So keep an eye out and become a fan of the game if you have a facebook acount.

Now is the best time to learn dota or get into this genre. There are thousands of newbies everyday in this game.

Demigod players, what is your HoN account names and do you still meet in the #neogaf irc chatroom? It's empty there. Today's HoN patch include clan support. We should form a neogaf clan.

I still log on every day but there's usually only a couple of people in there, if that. My HoN handle is still Davidion

Anso

Still upset this doesn't support my MacBook Pro gfx card. I'd play the hell out of it, especially since I've been ignoring DotA because I just don't like the way WC3 looks.

Nome

Anso said:
Still upset this doesn't support my MacBook Pro gfx card. I'd play the hell out of it, especially since I've been ignoring DotA because I just don't like the way WC3 looks.

You should mention this in the Mac client feedback thread here if you haven't yet:
http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=1308

They're very responsive to things like this. You can even try sending a PM to one of the devs--they WILL respond, even if it takes a day or two.

As a side note, I still have 2 invites left (gone now!)--hit me up with your email in a PM and I'll send it to you. In return, please post in this thread once in a while... I like to see small companies like this making it big, so let's give them the good ol' GAF support.

Anso

Casval said:
You should mention this in the Mac client feedback thread here if you haven't yet:
http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=1308

They're very responsive to things like this. You can even try sending a PM to one of the devs--they WILL respond, even if it takes a day or two.

As a side note, I still have 2 invites left--hit me up with your email in a PM and I'll send it to you. In return, please post in this thread once in a while... I like to see small companies like this making it big, so let's give them the good ol' GAF support.

Done so two times, no response sadly. Maybe they just don't care but damnit, it's a MacBook Pro 17", it can't be THAT bad? If anyone want to help just state that it'd be lovely to see support for the crappy Ati Radeon X1600.

Yeah, go ahead and laugh now :'(

blitz64

Nice patch tonight. We have created a clan GAF. Although I don't really like people seeing the clan tag in my name. People assume I'm pro when I join a game.

Dreavus

blitz64 said:
Nice patch tonight. We have created a clan GAF. Although I don't really like people seeing the clan tag in my name. People assume I'm pro when I join a game.

It's funny, one of the guys who played with me in my first game was complaining about how it was hard to see your skill icons, and that he didn't know how long his cool downs were after he used skills.... And this patch fixed both of those issues. :lol

On a gameplay note, I'm really liking the Torturer. I didn't even play Leshrac in Dota, but this guy is so much fun for some reason. Once you have tons of health and mana off the the Master's Staff and the Sacrificial stone (in the endgame of course), you can spam spells like no tomorrow and leave your ultimate skill on for pretty much as long as you want. I was able to kill people by just sticking near them in a big fight. :D

Sanjay

blitz64 said:

Best thing about it is that it gives you a chat room for your clan members, had two good games with some hiccups due to the massive stress the servers were getting yesterday due to the awesome update.

Davidion

Sanjay said:
Best thing about it is that it gives you a chat room for your clan members, had two good games with some hiccups due to the massive stress the servers were getting yesterday due to the awesome update.

Ugh, two games that I almost come close to winning ends up getting gimped last night. So frustrating.

First game: we were demolishing their base, and the whole game crashes out.

Second game: I was actually leading in levels and everything is going well, first I get ejected from the game for a minute so so everyone else ends up gaining two levels on me, then pillowknight gets ejected and not being able to log back on so we get our butts kicked one man down.

I swear this game hates me (and it has nothing to do with the fact that I suck at it)

vertopci

Davidion said:
Ugh, two games that I almost come close to winning ends up getting gimped last night. So frustrating.

First game: we were demolishing their base, and the whole game crashes out.

Second game: I was actually leading in levels and everything is going well, first I get ejected from the game for a minute so so everyone else ends up gaining two levels on me, then pillowknight gets ejected and not being able to log back on so we get our butts kicked one man down.
I swear this game hates me (and it has nothing to do with the fact that I suck at it)

I wouldn't say we got our butts kicked. We were doing as good as them with only us two until the very end :D Would have been an easy win if PillowKnight didn't get screwed over :(

Davidion

vertopci said:
I wouldn't say we got our butts kicked. We were doing as good as them with only us two until the very end :D Would have been an easy win if PillowKnight didn't get screwed over :(

I need to figure out the items (and the heroes, for that matter) work better. I keep ending up getting flailed by other players without being able to escape their ultras/combos.

Top Bottom