• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth Beta PC (dota clone)

rocK`

Banned
EGM92 said:
I WISH this had the demigod community, I tried to play another game, I played DOTA back in the day for like 2 months and since have forgotten almost everything about it. I put some time into Demigod but it's just not my kind of game, I was playing this and I had people on my own team wanting to fucking kick me cause I died too many times (11) while the fuckers who wanted to kick me had 8-9 deaths. I was playing a support character, you know shields on their guys while they kill other heroes etc. I mean wtf?!

i started playing dota 6 months ago, i'd say im about average to above average

you just need to have tough skin

you can't reasonably join a game thats been out for as long as dota (and hon, which carries the same legacy) and ask these questions, there are n00b guides for a reason, read them.

EGM92

rocK` said:
i started playing dota 6 months ago, i'd say im about average to above average

you just need to have tough skin

you can't reasonably join a game thats been out for as long as dota (and hon, which carries the same legacy) and ask these questions, there are n00b guides for a reason, read them.

I wasn't asking any questions. I was just doing my own thing. I just realized that pretty much every game I played is full of elitist pricks.

Troblin

HoN is pretty rough. My first game was a newb only game, and we got ran.

I've been playing DOTA on and off for the past 5 years as well.

Guess it has a pretty steep learning curve.

Zyzyxxz

EGM92 said:
I wasn't asking any questions. I was just doing my own thing. I just realized that pretty much every game I played is full of elitist pricks.

its pretty much how DOTA is when you try playing the WC3 version.

Everybody has been playing for so long that they know the game by heart so they expect you do as well.

Xemu

I hope you enjoyed your little rebellion, irritant. But remember, what SHODAN gives she is more than able to take away.
Yeah, I found the community extremely hostile / toxic as well. Attacked for asking question, attacked as a "feeder" in my first game, etc.

All the help stuff I could find out there assumes you already know how to play DOTA.

Maybe that makes their hardcore fanbase happy, but it's a recipe for disaster in a wider release. Particularly for a game with no SP mode at all...

dentoomw

I have faith in S2. DOTA was notorious for having a hostile community so I have no doubt they realized this might carry over when they began development.

The forum community for the game seem actually have been working to remedy this somewhat as well. There have been some great suggestions and ideas for the devs to create AI bots, training maps, tutorials, etc for new players, and strategy guides for HoN heroes have also started popping up as well.

blitz64

imho the hostile community will be the same. It's the type of game dota genre is. Feeders are bad so everyone will be hostile, even to newbies.

Already with a fresh community, there are lots of swearing, etc in newbie games.

Troblin

first game was ridiculously hostile. w/ a teamate calling our whole team the n-word over and over again, and eventually disconnecting. Second game was a lot better experience. Actual teamwork, players helping me w/ recipes and a close/competitive finish (we won). I guess it's really hit or miss.

Thirteen

Neo Member
With the latest build of dota there's a option to show tips for the Hero you are currently playing. Just type -tips.

Does anyone have a spare beta key. I defiantly want to play this. Couldn't really get into Dota because the community is not forgiving for noobs, but hey you got to start some where. :D

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i was away for 4 days over the weekend to didn't get a chance to play until tonight.

i had a pretty good experience. joined a game only for noobs. one guy admitted he wasn't a noob and only wanted to help teach us.

he stayed at the back lines and gave tips to any of us noobs. it was really helpful. my first game was a disaster but by the end i had a pretty good handle on what to do.

i jumped into a second game and chose the same hero (blacksmith). it went MUCH better. i understood wtf was going on... there was even a point where it looked like my team could win, but ultimately we lost. held on much longer than i was expecting.

interesting game.

edit: oh yeah, in terms of hostility i experienced very little and it was pretty mild. the dude who was teaching the noobs in the first game annoyed someone on his team because he wasn't actively fighting to win. there were some minor insults exchanged, but nothing too severe. otherwise the two games i played were a friendly and enjoyable experience.

I dont know if anyone has heard of this, but there is a game called "League of Legends" coming out in the fall. Im currently in it's beta as well, also under an NDA, but I can say that if you like DoTA and want something new/a step forward, its where you want to be.

HoN sounds awesome for the traditional DoTA experience, but Riot is really making something cool with LoL, with original heroes, awesome and easy interfaces, WoW-like talent system...
And when it comes out this fall..its absolutely FREE to play! (Microtransactions are used to keep it afloat, but don't break balance at all)

I actually just got a HoN key too, and I might try it out this week...

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Xal-Shoota said:
I dont know if anyone has heard of this, but there is a game called "League of Legends" coming out in the fall. Im currently in it's beta as well, also under an NDA, but I can say that if you like DoTA and want something new/a step forward, its where you want to be.
yeah, i'm interested in LoL as well. if you've got a beta key available i'll gladly take it. :)

Dominic

Neo Member
Scrow said:
yeah, i'm interested in LoL as well. if you've got a beta key available i'll gladly take it. :)

Yeah I'm really looking forward to LoL as well. HoN is nice, but it's nothing new. If I happen to get some LoL beta keys I'll let you guys know.

Hitmeneer

blitz64 said:
Demigod is a very easy game compared to dota or HoN. The game speed in demigod is like slow motion compared to HoN. That is why alot of dota players don't like demigod, because they feel like they are playing in slow motion.

In HoN, as a newbie, you can die in 2 seconds and you have no idea why. There's only 8 heroes in demigod, after 4 games, you probably seen every demigod and what moves they can do.

You can play 20 HoN games and still haven't seen every hero and what abilities, strengths, weakness each hero has. The hero combinations goes up exponentially once you have 40+ heroes. It could take weeks to master compared to demigod which just takes a few days to master.

I concur. :p

Although Demigod is much slower, it's not easier than dota or HoN (imo). Speed =/= hard. It is a bit more forgiving, as you have more time to counter or do anything. But that gives it more strategy imo, where dota or HoN feels like zerging at times.

Troblin

tenritsu said:
Any Venomancer love here? Serpent Wards are so cheap and are really nice for an early game harass.

I just went 11/4 w/ Slither the other day. Newb game, but still good for me.

Used my same item build from DOTA.

blitz64

BananaBomb said:
Can we get some screens or is there still an NDA on this?

There is a nda on screenshots and gameplay videos. Although you can find them if you do a google search. We are free to talk about anything related to the game.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
edit: they're all gone. will post in this thread if i get more.

i got 3 beta invites too. PM me with your email if you want in.

Anso

Looks and plays like a charm. I've never played DotA, only watched, but this is really cool.

Also, OP, it's worth noting that it's for PC/Linux/Mac. That might get a lot of people crying tears of joy so update title/first post.

Well it was fun while it lasted, game is full of elitist assholes now. I guess I'm foolish to expect to not be verbally assaulted based on my level of skill in a room called "noobs".

blitz64

TouchMyBox said:
Well it was fun while it lasted, game is full of elitist assholes now. I guess I'm foolish to expect to not be verbally assaulted based on my level of skill in a room called "noobs".

Most noob games contains pro players like dota or premade newbies. The trick is to click on their stats once you join the game. If anyone is higher than level 4, I usually try to join their team or just quit.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
I got 3 more beta keys. PM with your email.

edit: all the keys are gone. will make another post if i get more.

blitz64 said:
I have a few keys. Pm me if you are interested and post who is your favorite dota hero in this thread.

PM'd, and, I tend to prefer Clockwork Goblin or Naix. No one ever takes a melee/str hero in pubs so it's fun to be the tank.

Aswankster

Neo Member
I mostly play arem games, but if i had to chose one favorite it would have to be Blood Seeker. It's so much fun to completely shut down a a player with rupture.

Newduck

I've honestly never played DOTA before but always been interested but was just always a bit too late.

I'd like to try this if someone has a spare key.

dentoomw

I have to give credit to S2 - they took a nearly decade old mod and refined it to a point where it feels fresh and new all over again. Really enjoying the game, but you do need a bit of a thick skin to get past the elitist jerks and stat padders.

Username is 'dentoomw' if anyone wants to hit me up for a couple games.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
dentoomw said:
Really enjoying the game, but you do need a bit of a thick skin to get past the elitist jerks and stat padders.
lol, tell me about it. after my initial positive experience a day or so later it was the complete opposite.

some dude was being a complete prick. calling me every name under the sun (racial slurs included even though he knows nothing about me), voting to have me kicked multiple times, and all because i was playing like a noob.... in a noob ONLY match. unbelievable.

his name was "ichopwood" or something. if you see him give him a "fuck you" from me and put him on your ignore list :)

Top Bottom