• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shots fired from Insomniac?? Maybe? I don't know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, maybe it was intentional? It probably was.

Man, what's up with Sony? They were on fire for almost a year, then--suddenly--I'm becoming more and more disappointed with what they are doing. It feels like Nintendo is the only one of the three to be doing things right. Never thought I'd say that in 2014.
2015 better bring some improvements mannnnn

this is weird

ConfusedElectricAfricanmolesnake.gif

Maybe they used it because Insomniac are dead to them?

Then why are they making a Ratchet & Clank movie and getting Insomniac to do a remake of the original game?

A common practice in logo design is looking at analogs- or similar pieces of work to the "feeling" you're going for.

Someone blatantly took the font (crosshair icon and and all) and ripped it with some crappy definition of inspiration and awkward timing.

typefaces don't have normal copyright laws, by the way.

But logos (typeface composition + crosshair) do.

T.O.P

Banned
So?, was the font used created by Insomniac?, i don't see the big deal if it wasn't, what if they had both used Comic Sans instead?, would they be arguing over it?.

it's a friendly jab, there's nobody arguing (apart from gaf)

and it feels like i'm talking on grindr with your avatar ugh

SystemBug

Whether the font is intentional or not. but why would sony used that type of font to advertise a horror game sale?

Not only that, using the font is one thing, but layering it exactly like the way Insomniac did it is more than coincidence, not to mention the "cool' graffiti art that goes with it

Maybe I'm crazy but this seems like a great idea. With subset overdrive launching on a competitors platform they just got the games twitter to post a PSN sale. Free advertising for Sony.

Wow, Umm, just umm, I can't even...

Why are people so shocked at this?

I've played Destiny for a hundred hours. I know exactly what there is to do.

And from what I've seen of SO, aside from being open world with a bunch of things to do, they're going to be doing weekly 'events' and bi-weekly community-driven events. Or am I wrong?

Your implication is irrational because I am quite obviously communicating through text right now.

#SunsetOverHyped

What if you have a program that reads text for you? The plot thickens.

shandy706

I think the fact that the font name is "overdrive_sunset" is the funniest part.

It's like someone said "Find us a font similar to Sunset Overdrive. We need to have something up to draw attention during launch."

Intern searches "Sunset Overdrive Font".

Uses ACTUAL Sunset Overdrive Font.

LOL

Using the same/similar font associated with a competitor's product a week before the actual product is out seems... fine, actually. They seem to be banking on people making some cursory connection between the font they see in that ad with the font they've probably seen a billion times plastered all over banner ads of various sites.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Because that graphics web design intern uploads immediately to the blog without going through anyone else, right? Right, champ? So defensive over something so random.

Like I had said before, the font is widely available for use meaning Sony is under no obligation to not use it. Of course, keep making it sound like some intention conspiracy though buddy.

kidko

Maybe they should have created their own font for their huge new IP instead of just buying one that anyone (like a webdesigner at Sony) could also buy and use at will.

The font file online was made by a fan based on our ORIGINAL logo for Sunset Overdrive w/ our blessing.

The font is even named "Overdrive Sunset font."

So yeah, it's all based on our creation and part of our universe, even if we allowed it to be used openly so fans have access to it.

OOOOH. My bad!

Dragon

Banned
I think the fact that the font name is "overdrive_sunset" is the funniest part.

It's like someone said "Find us a font similar to Sunset Overdrive. We need to have something up to draw attention during launch."

Intern searches "Sunset Overdrive Font".

Uses ACTUAL Sunset Overdrive Font.

LOL

It's not like that at all if you read the thread.

Twix

First that stupid video and now this?

Insomniac better be prepared for a gruesome reality check next week.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
The font file online was made by a fan based on our ORIGINAL logo for Sunset Overdrive w/ our blessing.

The font is even named "Overdrive Sunset font."

So yeah, it's all based on our creation and part of our universe, even if we allowed it to be used openly so fans have access to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom