• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeremy Parish Presents: Retronauts Works (Chronological Retrospective Series)

bobone

Love the series. Jeremy Parish is great to listen to. I feel like he is one of the only truly knowledgeable people on the internet when it comes to the tiny details about games. I've learned a hell of a lot listening to his stuff over the years.

Also, the OG gameboy is fantastic, so its great to see how it all started and evolved over time. The fact that Tennis and Pokemon Gold were on the same console is mind blowing.

Anyway, thanks to all for the kind words. These are very dry videos that lack the zany screamo approach that YT demands, so it's always gratifying to get more than 100 views per episode.

Yes, it's very refreshing to not have someone screaming and adding in random sound effects and video effects to be unique.

Love the series. Jeremy Parish is great to listen to. I feel like he is one of the only truly knowledgeable people on the internet when it comes to the tiny details about games. I've learned a hell of a lot listening to his stuff over the years.

Also, the OG gameboy is fantastic, so its great to see how it all started and evolved over time. The fact that Tennis and Pokemon Gold were on the same console is mind blowing.

If you're including GBC, it lasted for such a long time. Solid releases from 1989 to 2002 -- what other platform had 13 years of real life to it? Not counting late sports releases like the PS2 had...

Peltz

You mean Jeremy obtaining CIB copies of real games?

No, that's cool.. fantastic even. I love that he's capturing them on real hardware on a proper upscaler.

I mean making himself play all of them. As much as I love Gameboy, there is a lot of egregious shovelware on it. I feel for anyone that has to play some of that crap.

If you're including GBC, it lasted for such a long time. Solid releases from 1989 to 2002 -- what other platform had 13 years of real life to it? Not counting late sports releases like the PS2 had...

Neo Geo legitimately had a 14 year run of official support. It got a 1st party game in 2004.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One of my favorite websites. I will admit to no longer watching a new video if I'm remotely tired as I have briefly dosed off before listening to one. Like today I'm on very little sleep so I intend to watch the latest update when I'm fresh tomorrow.

entremet

No, that's cool.. fantastic even. I love that he's capturing them on real hardware on a proper upscaler.

I mean making himself play all of them. As much as I love Gameboy, there is a lot of egregious shovelware on it. I feel for anyone that has to play some of that crap.

Neo Geo legitimately had a 14 year run of official support. It still got 1st party games in 2004.
He's doing it for preservation purposes, hence the high quality captures and box art. It's archival material basically.

But yeah, patience lol.

Anyway, thanks to all for the kind words. These are very dry videos that lack the zany screamo approach that YT demands, so it's always gratifying to get more than 100 views per episode.
It sounds strange but I think the dryness is what makes them good if that makes sense.

Its the same of Chrontendo, the amount of work you and Dr Sparkle put into these is amazing. And they aren't just the usual 3 minute retro review alot of people on YouTube do, its incredibly indepth goes into detail about the history of the game and compares it other versions of the same game.

I'm glad there are videos like this on YouTube.

New episode:

Game Boy World #059: Catrap [Asmik Ace, 1990]

I might try to find a cart of the JP version of this game, it seems pretty neat.
Weeeeeeeeeeee:
1LUEfWfh.jpg

Couldn't find Ayakashi no Shiro, unfortunately.

Latest episode is up on iTunes, Boxel II & Dexterity Puzzle Round Up.

I really enjoyed playing Dexterity back in the day, found it to be alot of fun not that I got very far in it though.

Game Boy World #062: Dexterity [SNK, 1990] & Boxxle II [Atelier Double/Pony Canyon/FCI, 1990]

June 1990 brings the very first Game Boy sequel to an earlier Game Boy game. Naturally, that sequel is Boxxle II. I mean, everything else on Game Boy has been based on Boxxle, so why not a proper sequel?

As this episode details, however, Boxxle II honestly has no reason to exist — Game Boy's glut of puzzlers has given us brain-teasers far more inventive than this straight port of the original box-pusher. Including, I'm afraid, the game that immediately precedes Boxxle II: SNK's Game Boy debut, Dexterity.

With the Boxxles as bookends, I've also taken this opportunity to offer a recap of just HOW MANY puzzle-like games we've seen on Game Boy to date. Buckle in — it's about to get funky.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Congrats on finally getting Boxxle II, Jeremy.

You ever imagine doing Game Boy Colour when the time comes?

Boxxle II is on loan! Hilariously, a complete copy went up on eBay about a week after I stopped looking and sold for like $150... way less than something that hard to find probably should have.

I still need to sort out a 240p setup for Game Boy Player before I can think about Color/Advance stuff. Next step: Sending my GC off for a region mod so I can use an American Pro Action Replay on my Japanese Cube.

Congrats on finally getting Boxxle II, Jeremy.

You ever imagine doing Game Boy Colour when the time comes?

Even if he doesn't do one for every Game Boy Color game I'd love to see Metal Gear: Ghost Babel tackled in this format. I love that game.

Great stuff, Jeremy! I'm a huge Game Boy fan and I look forward to each new episode of Game Boy World.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Game Boy World #063: Burai Fighter Deluxe [Kid/Taxan, 1990]

The most faithful NES-to-Game-Boy conversion to date arrives with this near-simultaneous rendition of Kid/Taxan collaboration Burai Fighter. Does it live up to the source material? Well... let's just say you'd never know I'm capturing this Game Boy footage at 60 frames per second. Kid gave it a heck of a try, and even made quite a few adjustments to the game to keep the difficulty from being unfairly punishing, but the poor little Game Boy had its limitations....

Fun trivia: This episode also represents the first time I've used my own video capture of Game Boy Color footage. My setup needs some work, but it's getting there....

I just had to take a minute to watch the video on Final Fantasy Legend.

I remember putting dozens of hours into the sequel and getting all the way up to the final area. I hit a wall where I couldn't survive more than one or two encounters. I must have been like six years old at the time, and after watching that video I think I might just now understand some of the mechanics in that series.

Game Boy World #064: Volleyfire

Sometimes a game comes along that fails to make its way to the U.S., and our lost opportunity is very sad and disappointing. This is not one such game. Volleyfire isn't the worst thing to flow down the Game Boy pipeline, but it feels like a game that would be resembled a relic from a bygone era even in 1990. Needless to say, a game that didn't hold up well at launch holds up even more poorly in the present day.

Been really into this video series but didn't realize there was a thread until just now. I'm so into retro right now that I'm only looking at my subscribed threads page, not the front page. A new retro thread - what a concept.

Anyway, yeah, killer series. Good Nintentions is awesome, too. I have a couple of Parish's books and will be getting more.

Chastten

Banned
BURAIFIGHTER!

One of the first GB games I had, and one of my favorites, framerate be damned. No idea if it is considered a great or even good game, but it is in my book. Gonna watch the video tonight. :)

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Wonder if we'll get more good Nintentions or History of Metroidvania.

I'm going to try and keep to a weekly schedule, just focused on other series. I'm about 40% through editing a new Good Nintentions, though this week being GDC followed by a Retronauts recording marathon may cause me to miss a week.

Nooooooooo!!!!

It's my favourite YouTube series. Bummer.

Wonder if we'll get more good Nintentions or History of Metroidvania.

Most people have no idea the amount of time and effort that goes into creating a video. I have been wondering where Jeremy finds the time. He's pumping out a lot if you know what it takes to do videos.

neeksleep

Fuck yes, Mercenary Force! I have no idea how that game ended up in my gameboy, but holy shit did I sink in serious hours into it

Chastten

Banned
Watched about a dozen video's in the past days, some from games I own and some from games I didn't even know, and I gotta say I'm quite liking the format.

Can't wait for reviews of some of the early to mid 90's offerings as the hardware was in it's prime at that point. So many good games came out in those years.

I also got to know this series when Dr. Sparkle kindly mentioned it in one of its blog posts.
I really like the format, and it's well narrated and deep enough in its content. Keep up the good work Parish!

Dr. Sparkle is a hero. He's already covered the bulk of the Sega Master System library on Chronsega.
Well, I hope Dr Sparkle will keep up the with SMS post-1990 PAL releases. That makes it for many, many more episodes...
And I also hope he won't "forget" 8bit ports of Mega Drive titles, such as Ghouls 'n Ghosts. If my memory serves me right, it was shown on last Chronsega, but only the 16bit version.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Good Nintentions #006: Golf [Nintendo, 1985]

We continue our journey through Nintendo's October 1985 NES lineup with the first release that had notable impact on the rest of the industry: Golf. The most widely played and distributed golf sim to debut in 1984 (in Japan), Nintendo's take on the sport codified a number of elements that would become standard for the genre, most notably the swing power meter. It's 30 years old, but it's still a pretty fun take on the sport!

Please consider supporting the Good Nintentions video project at www.patreon.com/gamespite, and be sure to visit www.goodnintentions.com for more on these games (including high-quality photography and scans)!

Top Bottom