• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

RS4-

Was the N7 Hurricane a DLC weapon? If it isn't, I strongly suggest you craft that as your first weapon. Thing is ridiculous. I then played around with it (this took a long time to figure out how in the UI) in its next iteration by making it fire seeking plasma bolts instead of bullets. It turns your weapon into one with 100% accuracy just slower bullets, unless enemies are behind a wall or dodge.

I also strongly recommend the Raptor sniper rifle, which can be bought very early on. A sniper rifle with a 15 round magazine that fires as fast as you click the trigger.

Pretty sure I saw the hurricane in the crate you can save scum. I'll have to look when I get back on. So I don't think it's dlc related.

Hey guys, I'm trying to pre-order this game today so that I can play it tomorrow. I'm deciding on which version of the game to get. Are the Digital Deluxe and Super Deluxe versions only different from the base game in that they have multiplayer addons? I read that there isn't any season pass for this game so I'm hoping that I wouldn't be missing out on any story DLC by not getting the upgraded versions.

How the fuck is this wrong? I've been stuck here for a while now

PAMGkxv.jpg
upper right segment has two of the same.

EDIT: wait a minute, you cant change the blue ones can you. wtf.... Oh I see, its the middle segment.

Theodoricos

Mass Effect 1 is my favorite game of all time. That said, it always confuses me when people get to talking about how supposedly terrible ME2's story compared to ME1 is, as if ME1 is some pinnacle of storytelling.

The main story of ME1 is about as generic as you could get. The appeal of the ME series has always been the universe (and the characters). ME's strengths over ME2 include its aesthetics and its music, definitely not the story.

That's why the problem I'm seeing with Andromeda is not that its story is once again weak (as I expect it to be), but nothing I've seen from the Andromeda galaxy looks anywhere near as appealing or fleshed-out as the Milky Way galaxy was in the original trilogy.

Calibrations, dude. Calibrations. Characters were great, but I think nostalgia is confusing people's memories of the dialogue in this game outside of the excellent loyalty missions (another of Andromeda's highly praised points):

No nostalgia here. Was just playing a fair bit of it over the weekend and I am still impressed by the character dialogue.

Harlequin

So according to the official guide and reviewers, some of the datamining was incorrect. Gay Scott only gets two romance options as opposed to straight Scott's five, gay Sara's four and straight Sara's three, neither of which are squadmates and neither of which have unique faces (just character creator ones). This also means that people playing as gay Scott won't be able to get the romance trophy/achievement without turning him bi. Good job, BW, good job...

kCNDpEX.jpg

nOoblet16

Got it. For a long time I didn't realise there were shapes because I assumed it was the same as others but had less boxes pre filled for hints.

MQNnPmv.jpg

Wait a minute...

Would the technology in the Mass Effect Universe actually allow them to escape the gravity of the Milky Way galaxy and survive re entry into the Andromeda galaxy?

I mean, the Hyperion and other arks and ships are not photons and have a incredible amount of mass. I would think the arks and ships would be ripped apart while leaving or entering a galaxy. What about the space in between the actual galaxies? How does that area of space affect space travel? Wouldn't there be less gravity in those area?

I don't get to play the game until later tonight when it unlocks but learning the fictional science behind it is really exciting.

Nokterian

I did the same thing, the dutch store is crazy expensive in comparison. It should unlock at 5am i think for us.

Origin/EA Access makes the games a bit more payable but it is always expensive. But i paid for the super deluxe version to me Bioware deserves it no matter what those reviews say at least to me.

Silvard

So according to the official guide and reviewers, some of the datamining was incorrect. Gay Scott only gets two romance options as opposed to straight Scott's five, gay Sara's four and straight Sara's three, neither of which are squadmates and neither of which have unique faces (just character creator ones). This also means that people playing as gay Scott won't be able to get the romance trophy/achievement without turning him bi. Good job, BW, good job...

kCNDpEX.jpg

That's such an uncharacteristic oversight. What the hell happened there? I never thought this would be an issue after DA:O.

Anoxida

I'll try one more time.

What are the
remnant cores
used for? PeeBee says she wants them but I have no idea how to give them to her or put them to use.

That's such an uncharacteristic oversight. What the hell happened there? I never thought this would be an issue after DA:O.

I'm starting to wonder if all the social progressivism is coming from the Dragon Age team rather than BW in general. We've heard stories about MRA types in BW Austin and the shitty lack of gay romances honestly doesn't seem like it would have come from the same people who created characters like Iron Bull and Krem in DAI

Counting down the hours, even though I won't play until tomorrow...

Is anyone that plans on spending a lot of time in MP, considering the super deluxe edition?

kCNDpEX.jpg
well that's fucking stupid.

TLS Lex

kCNDpEX.jpg

Guess I won't be getting this trophy until I play Fem Ryder in another playthrough then.

EDIT: Although the thing I'm most annoyed about is the "unique faces" part. Gil is voiced by the dude who played Renly Baratheon so I can't complain too much about having him as an option XD

Hey guys, I'm trying to pre-order this game today so that I can play it tomorrow. I'm deciding on which version of the game to get. Are the Digital Deluxe and Super Deluxe versions only different from the base game in that they have multiplayer addons? I read that there isn't any season pass for this game so I'm hoping that I wouldn't be missing out on any story DLC by not getting the upgraded versions.

Some of it is armour and weapons, while some is just MP boosts. Here is a (non spoiler) Youtube video of the extras for pre-order, deluxe and super deluxe.

nOoblet16

Wait a minute...

Would the technology in the Mass Effect Universe actually allow them to escape the gravity of the Milky Way galaxy and survive re entry into the Andromeda galaxy?

I mean, the Hyperion and other arks and ships are not photons and have a incredible amount of mass. I would think the arks and ships would be ripped apart while leaving or entering a galaxy. What about the space in between the actual galaxies? How does that area of space affect space travel? Wouldn't there be less gravity in those area?

I don't get to play the game until later tonight when it unlocks but learning the fictional science behind it is really exciting.

The escape velocity required wouldn't even be nearly large enough to matter, calculations put escape velocity of Milky Way to be at a (relatively) measly 525KM/s or around that, and it doesn't even has to be in one go due to how escape velocity works. The ships in Mass Effect travel thousand in not millions of times faster than that. But regardless of all that escape velocity only comes into place only when there is no external force being applied, in such a case achieving escape velocity allows the object to escape the gravity well on its own without any help but if the escape velocity isn't met then external force needs to be applied through means such as a rocket propulsion system

As for entry in Andromeda, there is no air so no friction to be bothered about during entry. Other than space rocks, the only resistance they'll get is from gases. Considering we are talking technology that can travel at FTL speed they'll probably have a Star Trek like deflector to take care of that.

Snagret

How the fuck is this wrong? I've been stuck here for a while now

PAMGkxv.jpg
I can't believe they're including these puzzles in the game. It seems so time-consuming and obnoxious. Hopefully there aren't too many of them.

So is the MP good? Loved ME3's MP so much.

The reviews I've seen mention it and say some good things but don't go indepth.
It's pretty good, a little light on content being there are only 5 maps and (correct me if I'm misremembering) 4 factions. It still has some of ME3's quirkiness. Things like interacting with objectives being really finnicky, It's not enough that your character model is within proximity to the thing you're trying to activate, it actually needs to be on the screen otherwise you'll do a melee attack (since the same button performs one or the other depending on context), which sometimes pushes you out of position to interact with the objective. This gets worse when trying to revive a team mate in a frantic situation.

It's also pretty dependent on the host's connection. It's really just the luck of the draw on this one but sometimes you'll be put into games that are just unplayable, other times you'll experience that little half-second of lag that adds just enough disconnect between your actions and the result that it feels mushy and bad, but not enough to where you'll pull out of the match. In my experience it's totally fine about 70% of the time, and this might improve once the game releases to a full playerbase and you're matched up with players who are closer to you.

The factions don't offer a lot of variety between them, whereas with 3 it felt like each one was designed around encouraging certain combat strategies, in this one you can really just employ the same combat loop on most of the mooks and dispatch them all relatively similarly, while the larger boss enemies are the only ones that really require you to pay attention to things like weak points and dodging attacks and such. Admittedly I only played Bronze during my time with the trial, so maybe this is something that changes as you go through the difficulty ranks.

The combat is really strong though, detonating your own combos one after another really makes the tech/biotic classes shine, and the maps are designed with enough verticality combined with your new movement capabilities and the removal of the sticky cover that navigating the maps feels much faster and more fun than ME3, which always broke down whenever you had to run from one side of the map to the other.

All in all the combat and movement really shines and the matches are well-paced, my only gripe being the lack of variety. If it's supported as well as ME3 was, it'll have a very strong future I think (assuming the player base is there for it). As it is right now, it's decent enough that you'll have a good time with it till they flesh it out with more content, which hopefully happens sooner than later.

GSR

I was wondering what the policy for talking about LI stuff in here was... But yeah, from all available post-release info, Jaal is straight and the two M/M romances are NPCs (one of whom I believe isn't on the Tempest?) with little physical affection depicted.

It's a weird, disappointing decision, and pretty stark when you look at the other options and DAI. It gets a little hard to say "games are getting so much better about LGBT" when there's a massive focus on Attractive Ladies Hooking Up and M/M romances are downplayed.

(to be clear, I have no issue with w/w relationships, but downplaying m/m ones alongside them casts doubt onto the motivations for having so much w/w.)

Wulfram

kCNDpEX.jpg

You can get the achievement across different characters I think? So you don't have to turn a gay Scott bi, just play another game with a character that isn't gay.

Still sucks of course

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
VPN of your choice to South Korea bro. I used VPNGate after my paid VPN (Private Internet Access) didn't work (the play button on Origin was greyed out, maybe a bug), but there are many options out there.

Instructions are at the ME OT or the discord as a pinned post if you're looking.

Cheers guys.

RS4-

Was the N7 Hurricane a DLC weapon? If it isn't, I strongly suggest you craft that as your first weapon. Thing is ridiculous. I then played around with it (this took a long time to figure out how in the UI) in its next iteration by making it fire seeking plasma bolts instead of bullets. It turns your weapon into one with 100% accuracy just slower bullets, unless enemies are behind a wall or dodge.

I also strongly recommend the Raptor sniper rifle, which can be bought very early on. A sniper rifle with a 15 round magazine that fires as fast as you click the trigger.

TVOIBk1.jpg

Ok, ignore the previous post where I quoted you as being unsure if the hurricane is there.

I reloaded one of my saves and I got the hurricane in the chest.

Mar Nosso

Banned

kCNDpEX.jpg

It's alright. I'm monogamous anyway.

TheChaos

I'm starting to wonder if all the social progressivism is coming from the Dragon Age team rather than BW in general. We've heard stories about MRA types in BW Austin and the shitty lack of gay romances honestly doesn't seem like it would have come from the same people who created characters like Iron Bull and Krem in DAI

Isn't the head writer of the DA series gay himself? He might have lots more sway about inclusiveness.

But yeah, that sucks if true if gay guys don't even get a squadmate or anything.

kCNDpEX.jpg

Well that sucks. Oh well, I guess it gives me incentive to try and play Sara at some point.

Ratros

kCNDpEX.jpg

WTF?

sangreal

kCNDpEX.jpg

It's a dumb trophy, but this is a long-winded way of saying 2 out of the 3 male LIs and 4 out of the 5 female LIs are bi

Top Bottom