• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect or Starfield. It most be done.

Mass Effect or Starfield

• Mass Effect

Votes: 353 87.2%
  • Starfield

Votes: 52 12.8%

• Total voters

Rhazkul

This is an uneven matchup and you are comparing apples with oranges.
One universe is a deep complex saga similar to Star Wars, the other one is a new IP without much history.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Now they want to compare starfield to mass effect.

Harvey Specter GIF by Suits

Rhazkul

Mass Effect 1 was a new IP and it was a deep complex saga with god tier world building, lore and characters.
Fair enough. Not disagreeing. I don't think there are other alien civs in Starfield, right? Just some alien animals...that alone makes it a whole different setting.

I've recently been playing through the ME LE and I enjoy the story, but about half way through 2, the combat just felt boring to me so I dropped it until Starfield came out. Despite it's criticisms surrounding the 'exploration' side of things, I feel like Starfield does this better as well.

That being said, I really enjoyed Andromeda after coming to it a year or so after launch for $5 on PS store. Really cool worlds and combat ... I didn't even mind the story as much as others.

Phase

Fair enough. Not disagreeing. I don't think there are other alien civs in Starfield, right? Just some alien animals...that alone makes it a whole different setting.
Bro the setting of Starfield is "sparse, with some rocks." Quit trying to run away after running defense.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
This is like saying perfectly cooked steak or quite good sausage.

or maybe pretty good sausage, I'm still on the fence.

Either way, the steak, even though it had an odd after taste, in the act of eating it, was MAGNIFICENT.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

No, there are no intelligent alien civilizations in Starfield... which should make its universe more believable and grounded. But it's not. Again, this shows how amazing the lore and world building of ME1 is. That even with all those crazy looking aliens you just believe it's a real place.

WildBoy

Did Todd piss in somebody's coffee creamer or something? The amount of hate heaped upon Starfield has been astronomical (pun intended).
Sony fanboys gonna fanboy.

Mass effect isn't even the best trilogy in gaming... God of War probably is. Or uncharted. But can't say they or will look like a pony....

No, there are no intelligent alien civilizations in Starfield... which should make its universe more believable and grounded. But it's not. Again, this shows how amazing the lore and world building of ME1 is. That even with all those crazy looking aliens you just believe it's a real place.

Lore, dialog, and story are levels better than Starfield. I don't even think SF is bad in that way but Mass Effect trilogy is one of the best to ever do that.

I think someone else suggested something similar above, but would it be fair to say Mass Effect is like the Lord of The Rings (vast, expansive, epic, a trilogy) and Starfield is like an episode of Star Trek (condensed, bite size, more limited in scope).

damidu

starfield made me appreciate mass effect even more.
ill leave it, and give andromeda a go, no way it can be worse than this.

Nydius

The inherent problem with this is people are comparing a trilogy with DLC (edit: and a massive extended universe of canon novels and comics) to a base game that just came out. If we’re comparing like-for-like, original launch to original launch, it’s Starfield all the way — and I’m probably one of the biggest Mass Effect fanboys on these forums.

I remember original release ME with its bugs, laughably long elevator loading sequences, horrendously bad gunplay, the ham-fisted companion dialog that practically shoved Liara in your pants while making Ashley and Kaiden look racist or inept. Mako exploration was even more barren (and buggy) than the empty planets in Starfield. “Electronics Skill Too Low” is the original “Sarah Morgan Disliked That”. 🤣

Character building didn’t really become great in Mass Effect until Mass Effect 2. If I were told I could only pick one to play for a week, OG Mass Effect or Starfield, I’m picking Starfield.

That opinion obviously changes if it’s the entire trilogy.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll

Built in 3,5 years.

Starfield races- New human, old human, spooky stupid aliens look like cochroaches.

Built in 25 years.

RickSanchez

Gold Member
I think Starfield and the Mass Effect series are different enough to make this not a fair comparison.

Mass Effect is all about the story and Shepard playing his/her own little role in that story, while Starfield is about exploration, like every other Bethesda title. Mass Effect excels in weaving a nice story and world, and to a lesser extent, Combat. I wouldn't really call it an 'exploration focused' game, nor does it excel in RPG mechanics to the level that Dragon Age does. For Starfield the focus is on exploration, first and foremost, combat is secondary, and the story (whether or not you find it engaging, i do) is tertiary. And the exploration in Starfield is still great compared to most other space games (yes the constant loading screens hamper the flow).

The space-saga setting and RPG elements make it an easy comparison at surface level, but if you go in depth, they are very different games. It is like comparing Dragon Age and Skyrim. Dragon Age was an excellent CRPG with a focused story, while Skyrim is an explorer's playground.

Shitting on starfield may be the cool thing to do right now, but credit where credit is due. The feeling of exploring a vast world (or rather, a vast galaxy) is created very well in Starfield. It is good looking and polished, and the best parts of it work really well i.e the moment-to-moment exploration, supported by subtle world building and some great side quests and random encounters.

Now having said all that, all games across every genre still compete with each other for the player's time and money. And i think Starfield is not quite at the level of value as the Mass Effect Trilogy yet. Maybe, with mods, it will get there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom