• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect or Starfield. It most be done.

Mass Effect or Starfield

• Mass Effect

Votes: 353 87.2%
  • Starfield

Votes: 52 12.8%

• Total voters

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I have yet to play either of them. But I love some of Mass effect lore and fanfiction. So Mass effect wins. Games? What games ?

Billbofet

Another shitting on Starfield thread.........:messenger_neutral:

That said, Mass Effect, to me, is better as I like more cinematic and linear storytelling vs. having to work for it in open-world games.

YuLY

As someone who LOVES Starfield right now. It doesnt touch the original ME trilogy. ME1 is goated.

Starfield lacks the grandeur and the feeling that away from the lifeless rock that you are on right now, there are huge empires waiting for you like in Mass Effect with homeworlds of different races filled with huge futuristic metropolis like Ilium with flying cars and purple neon tinted skyscrapers, with the Citadel etc.
The fact that Akila a backwater stone wall city is the capital of Freestar Collective is nuts, it really takes away from the grandeur of it all, the rest are pretty good tho (New Atlantis, Cydonia and Neon), but not enough.

Pop Corn GIF by WWE

Mass effect 1 for sure.

Mass Effect 1?

Yeah I like it better than Starfield. I miss the edgy 360 days when every RPG gave you the option of acting like a horses ass in every dialogue tree. It was hilarious. Starfield is great too but Mass Effect was next level.
Yeah I don't make many threads. We are basing the trilogy vs Starfield. Sorry.

Andromeda can show itself to the door.

Topher

Gold Member
Mass Effect has better gameplay, story, characters so I'll go with ME.

Having said that, I completed ME LE and I'm probably done with the game, but I'm still expecting I'll have multiple playthroughs of Starfield.

Regardless, Mass Effect is an all-time great game. Most games can't compare.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
If they both came out today, I might pick Starfield, but as far as impact to the industry/how it compared to it's contemporaries at release? Yeah, definitely Mass Effect.

Antwix

I loved my playthrough (well, I'm almost done) of Starfield but Mass Effect is one of my favorite games of all time. Better characters, better story, better lore, etc. I still replay it every year or 2.

soulbait

I am loving Starfield so far, but Mass Effect is the best trilogy in gaming, IMO. I have not played a game since that has pulled me in storywise.

There are areas where I feel Starfield does better than Mass Effect, like role playing progression, exploring, side quests, but Mass Effect is better in most areas.

Reckheim

Mass Effect set a new standard for the industry.

Starfield is the same old with new paint and zero exploration. Bethesda has to do change up the formula for TES6.

Did Todd piss in somebody's coffee creamer or something? The amount of hate heaped upon Starfield has been astronomical (pun intended).

I think the honeymoon stage is over for a lot of people and after putting a decent amount of time into the game people are realizing its pretty damn average.

Last edited:

acm2000

if i had to pick, starfield due to the sheer amount of stuff there is to do and the fpp combat is much nicer, the way the powers work in ME is more fun however.

Mass Effect = Star Wars

Humans find a portal which leads them to a Galactic community of advanced alien lifeforms who are all ready to give the player (the chosen one) quests that will eventually culminate in you defeating the big bad aliens who threaten all of life. 90% of aliens look like humanoids with crazy skin colors.

Starfield = Interstellar

Humans have developed grav-drives and have colonized several planets across many galaxies. No advanced life has been discovered and humans have splintered into various factions all with their own motivations. You as the player can engage with each faction as you see fit.

Beyond both games taking place in outer space, the premises and overarching goals for both franchises are vastly different.

Blackage

Mass Effect is just a little bit dated graphically and in presentation, but the world building in that game is pretty incredible/fun to be a part of.

BigLee74

Mass Effect has the FAR better story, and a great and memorable collection of non-human intelligent species.

Starfield has FAR better gunplay and gameplay in general (Mass Effect shootouts were often a chore).

I declare a tie!

damidu

brutal result, but fair. writing alone demolishes starfield
when you consider one is released 15 years earlier, you realise what a fail starfield is, and the reason for todd's damage control tour.

Last edited:
I'm 50 hours into Starfield and totally addicted, but it's still not even close, the original Mass Affect Trilogy blows Starfield away. Of course, at the end of the day I will probably put more time into Starfield, just because of the type of RPG it is, but ME is still the better game.

Top Bottom