• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect or Starfield. It most be done.

Mass Effect or Starfield

• Mass Effect

Votes: 353 87.2%
  • Starfield

Votes: 52 12.8%

• Total voters

Tokio Blues

Mass effect for life.

Nothing will ever achieve the level of hype that this trailer made.

It was almost 17 years ago, and the characters faces looks better than starfield.

Screenshot-2023-10-02-173646.png

Starfield_facial_animation.jpg

Last edited:

Freeman76

Thats not even a close one. Mass Effect without question.

The only RPG to surpass the ME trilogy for me is Baldurs Gate 3.

Flabagast

I dont think any game will lose to Starfield OP, it is that average.

Maybe you could try with The Other Worlds maybe, but that one is very mid as well...

I don't hate Starfield, but Mass Effect is what happens when sci-fi creators implement everything I think is fun in the genre. Starfield...well, it left a LOT of that fun off the table.

Ozzie666

The games are very different in terms of open ended scope and game play. But for me, Mass Effect hands down. I re-play it every 2 years or so. The character developments, especially 2 onwards is amazing. You and your crew feel connected and invested. Mass effect music is more memorable as well. The characters are so interesting and memorable. Wrex, Jack, Sheppard, Miranda, the Reapers, just to name only a few. Your character has a voice and personality.

Not even in the same realm to me, Mass Effect 1 2 and 3, all the way. Mass Effect needs it's own bif budget movie or TV series. Such a great universe.

Atrus

Gold Member
There’s nothing positive to take away from Starfield in terms of story, gameplay or experience.

Nobody is going to remember the things in this game decades down the road like
Tali or Garrus. It’s just distilled loops from other Bethesda games that foster mindless addictions with some pretty space scenes (while on a planet) to maximize the amount of money from a vastly outdated engine.

You don’t sit there playing and go… shit that was really something. Like fighting and winning against a notorious adversary or giant genocidal machines bent on wiping all sentient life.

Whereas you were Commander Shepard, a badass who died and then fucking came back again to kick some more ass with a badass crew (that can also die along the way). Choices you made impacted the game quite a bit.

Starfield on the other hand gives you a world with mechanics that don’t matter and an in game universe that doesn’t care.

Mass Effect was also intelligent enough to add the Mako.

simpatico

The makers of Elden Ring, an RPG with an extreme and well done emphasis on race, makes a space game with only humans. Why tho?

Mass Effect has the FAR better story, and a great and memorable collection of non-human intelligent species.

Starfield has FAR better gunplay and gameplay in general (Mass Effect shootouts were often a chore).

I declare a tie!

I think Starfield's combat is terrible. The enemies stop and stand there with no cover so as to give us a nice target on consoles at 30 fps. I'm assuming they do the same thing on PC since they wouldn't have creates 2 ai systems. There is no challenge in Starfield and no variety to the types of encounters either. No fun powers or synergies. No VATS to make things feel strategic. Only thing better is the gun feel and handling.

Reactions: GHG

violence

Mass Effect trilogy are games I can play every several years and feel like I'm inviting friends over.

Wait.. Mass Effect 1? You kidding? Starfield. I only play ME1 to get to the sequels. Like, I play it on easy and b line the main missions. I cant think of another game where I do that.

Pimpbaa

Mass Effect games are mostly linear (other than changing the order of which planets you visit) with a focus on story and characters. And the series goes to shit with the third game and Andromeda. Starfield is far more open and allows you to do a ton of non story based stuff. But the main story and characters is typical of BGS’ games (behind most other devs). Hard to compare the two other than they are set in space and involve shooting.

BigLee74

I think Starfield's combat is terrible. The enemies stop and stand there with no cover so as to give us a nice target on consoles at 30 fps. I'm assuming they do the same thing on PC since they wouldn't have creates 2 ai systems. There is no challenge in Starfield and no variety to the types of encounters either. No fun powers or synergies. No VATS to make things feel strategic. Only thing better is the gun feel and handling.

It’s not top notch, but it is still miles better than Mass Effect combat. I’ll admit to only having 2 powers at the moment, but I have one which makes everything float and that is always fun!

GHG

Hilarious poll. Why make it when there isn't one thing SF does better than ME?

Need to give the ambadsadors who voted for Starfield over TOTK in that other thread something to vote for again, all ~50 of them.

If anything, I'm impressed that they are still trying to pull the wool over people's eyes.

Roufianos

I'm enjoying Starfield, after a really tough soaking in period, but Mass Effect is infinitely better in every area they overlap. Even the combat from ME2 onwards is better than the gunplay in Starfield imo.

anthraticus

Banned
Geez..what a fucking low bar. Mass Effect was a bad Babylon 5 rip off anyway though, so neither is anything to write home about, but yea it's better than Turdfield. Whoop de damn do.

Waiting for the upcoming Space Wreck and Colony Ship to bring the sci-fi RPG
7VdUNLE.gif

StueyDuck

oh mass effect (trilogy) and it's not even close.

Andromeda vs Starfield though, well then Starfield takes it in spades

StueyDuck

wait... I just need to post one thing and then basically mods can close this thread.

here you go:

Last edited:

Humdinger

This thread makes me want to replay Mass Effect. I've played ME1 three times, but never replayed ME2 or 3. I need to do that.

The makers of Elden Ring, an RPG with an extreme and well done emphasis on race, makes a space game with only humans. Why tho?

Did you mean Morrowind? Bethesda didn't create Elden Ring.

amigastar

Is Mass Effect 2 Enhanced Edition playable on Game Pass because i see only 2010 Standard Edition?

Last edited:

Aion002

Any Mass Effect (Andromeda included)>>>>>>> Starfield.

ME 1, 2 and 3 are actually good games and while Andromeda is a extremely flawed game, at least I enjoyed the combat... Starfield combat is garbage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom