• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLDIER

Crunched said:
hateradio, audio in Wind Waker is nearly perfect with Dolphin. It's Twilight Princess that has issues.

Can you post your Dolphin settings? I've been trying forever to get Dolphin working, using Skies of Arcadia as a template. I keep getting sound issues (one half of the sound would play while the other half is completely silent) along with other visual issues.

And is there a PCZX2 version that supports DX11, or any other Windows 7 benefits?

And finally, can I pretty please get some recommended settings for ePSXe for playing PS1 games at the best possible looking settings? Ditto for sprites, since I want to give Xenogears a whirl.

Ceebs

riceandbeans said:
Anyone know what's a good AMD processor that can run games like FFXII and MGS3 at full speed? Gonna update my dual core soon, so I want to make the most out of my next processor and make sure it can do everything I want.
my OC'd 550 runs both at full speed just fine.

ArjanN

CamHostage said:
I've really got to seek out a machine that can run this emulator, it makes everything look so nice again!

By the way, does anybody have a copy of the game Ikusagami (aka Demon Chaos) that they could try on this emulator? I always found that to be visually stunning (it's that Dynasty Warriors clone that could literally put over 65,000 enemies in the stage) but I'm not sure if it would look awesome because of the filtering or awful because of the simplistic modeling and textures?

As far as I know story mode doesn't work, only challenge mode, and the music is broken as well.

Wait for more emulator updates I guess.

ArjanN

SOLDIER said:
And is there a PCZX2 version that supports DX11, or any other Windows 7 benefits?

And finally, can I pretty please get some recommended settings for ePSXe for playing PS1 games at the best possible looking settings? Ditto for sprites, since I want to give Xenogears a whirl.

PCSX2 that supports DX11 or other W7 benefits: no. (I don't think any emulator does anything with it yet)

And for ePSXe settings checking the ePSXe forums would probably be a good idea.

Hey guys I got a

AMD athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ at 2.60ghz

2 GIG ram

and a gforce 9600gt+ graphics card

would it be sufficient enough to run the emulator on decent settings?.

Dascu

All speedhacks on, Phenom II X4 @ 3.0ghz, and yet I still can't run Zone of the Enders 2 at fullspeed during the battle scenes (the first Ken fight was around 30fps).

Any ideas?

ArjanN

Dascu said:
All speedhacks on, Phenom II X4 @ 3.0ghz, and yet I still can't run Zone of the Enders 2 at fullspeed during the battle scenes (the first Ken fight was around 30fps).

Any ideas?

Wait until ZotE2 is emulated better. That's pretty much your only option.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What's the latest version of this emulator?

yanhero said:
FF13 looks pathetic in that pic, why did they even bother spending years on a new engine when it barely looks better than FF12? The environment is so flat and dull. Flat green texture as the ground should not be acceptable this gen.
That's a bad shot, I agree, but most other shots of the game have looked incredible. It's still far and away the best looking JRPG this gen (though that isn't saying much).

Can anyone explain to me why does SOTC still feels sluggish and with weak framerate despite the emulator saying it's running at 60fps?

Got a new beast (kinda) of a PC and I'm just trying this out ^^ Alot more complicated then ePSXe used to be :p

aryies

Neo Member
dark10x said:
That's a bad shot, I agree, but most other shots of the game have looked incredible. It's still far and away the best looking JRPG this gen (though that isn't saying much).

have to strongly disagree with this. apon seeing that screen i went to ign/gs to look at the latest screenshots, and jesus christ they really hit it with the ugly stick. sure, in cutscenes at the right angles it looks nice, but battles, and ingame "normal" gameplay sequences....gg....i know its cel shaded but imo ToV is easier on the eyes :/

final-fantasy-xiii-screens-20091120091405315.jpg

It depends on the angle it's at but the textures are kind of flat. It looks like their trading off texture quality for scale and high-poly's. Sort of just looks like an HD Monster Hunter though. I'm surprised no one has complained about the 360 version "dumbing down" the graphics so far.

riceandbeans said:

It depends on the angle it's at but the textures are kind of flat. It looks like their trading off texture quality for scale and high-poly's. Sort of just looks like an HD Monster Hunter though. I'm surprised no one has complained about the 360 version "dumbing down" the graphics so far.
Wow, Ps2 emulation just keeps getting better and better, it almost looks like a Ps3 game!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Metalmurphy said:
Can anyone explain to me why does SOTC still feels sluggish and with weak framerate despite the emulator saying it's running at 60fps?

Got a new beast (kinda) of a PC and I'm just trying this out ^^ Alot more complicated then ePSXe used to be :p

Chances are you have a setting enabled in the Speed Hacks section. i forget what its called since i dont have it installed atm.. but its the setting with the slider, not the 1.5x/2x/etc settings. Sometimes if you have the slider set to anything but off a game will act slower than the fps it reports.

Dash

Does anyone know how well the SMT: DDS 1, 2, and Nocturne run on the emulator?

I'm also looking to buy a new computer, and I heard that the performance of the emulator is mainly determined by the CPU speed. With that being said, would I be better off with an intel i5 or an equivalent AMD processor (which is slightly cheaper, and supposedly doesn't OC as well)?

tokkun

Dash said:
Does anyone know how well the SMT: DDS 1, 2, and Nocturne run on the emulator?

I'm also looking to buy a new computer, and I heard that the performance of the emulator is mainly determined by the CPU speed. With that being said, would I be better off with an intel i5 or an equivalent AMD processor (which is slightly cheaper, and supposedly doesn't OC as well)?

DDS looks fairly good if you crank up the resolution, however it suffers from a lot of graphical glitching when using the GSDX plugin. Mainly, a lot of objects are transparent that should not be. There are also performance problems in large areas. In Muladhara my framerate drops to 40 fps on a 3.2 GHz processor. That is unplayable in my opinion, though if you muted the audio you might be able to live with it. It may be possible to get better performance if you spend some time experimenting; I had to disable my aggressive speed hacks because it caused the game to crash. At the current time, I would recommend playing the DDS games on a PS2 or PS3 rather than PCSX.

Chairhome

Metalmurphy said:

Try running with frame skip. Rogue Galaxy was giving me slow down problems and I set the frame skip to 5-10 or something like that and it now runs like a charm with no noticeable sacrifice.

Dash

tokkun said:
DDS looks fairly good if you crank up the resolution, however it suffers from a lot of graphical glitching when using the GSDX plugin. Mainly, a lot of objects are transparent that should not be. There are also performance problems in large areas. In Muladhara my framerate drops to 40 fps on a 3.2 GHz processor. That is unplayable in my opinion, though if you muted the audio you might be able to live with it. It may be possible to get better performance if you spend some time experimenting; I had to disable my aggressive speed hacks because it caused the game to crash. At the current time, I would recommend playing the DDS games on a PS2 or PS3 rather than PCSX.

What do you mean that 40FPS is unplayable? Is 40FPS in PCSX2 actually not 40FPS at all, but more like 10-20FPS?

Is it also possible that DDS2 runs better? I tried it on my old dual core 2.13 ghz just in the starting area, and although it wasn't perfect, given how weak my system is, it did a lot better than expected.

tokkun

Dash said:
What do you mean that 40FPS is unplayable? Is 40FPS in PCSX2 actually not 40FPS at all, but more like 10-20FPS?

There is a fundamental difference between 40 fps in a PC game and 40 fps in an emulator like PCSX. In PCSX, all of the timing is done relative to a 60 fps rate. If you are only getting 40 fps, it means that the music will be playing at 2/3 speed and your character will be moving in slow motion. Basically it's like taking a video that was filmed at 60 fps and playing it back at 40 fps. In my opinion it is too annoying to be playable.

Is it also possible that DDS2 runs better? I tried it on my old dual core 2.13 ghz just in the starting area, and although it wasn't perfect, given how weak my system is, it did a lot better than expected.

I only tried the first one, so it's possible DDS2 runs better. DDS1 ran at full speed in smaller areas but had performance problems in large areas. However the graphical glitches were present all over.

Found my FF12 disc and am trying out emulation for the first time. I followed a guide to set up PCSX2 for FF12 but it's always in window mode, even when I try to set the output to be my monitor's size (1920x1200). I am running DX10.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? The window says "512 x 448" in the corner, but I've deselected the "native" resolution option.

Edit: I'm using the newest version, PCSX2 0.9.6. I'm using the stock DX10 (hardware) video plugin.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
opticalmace said:
Found my FF12 disc and am trying out emulation for the first time. I followed a guide to set up PCSX2 for FF12 but it's always in window mode, even when I try to set the output to be my monitor's size (1920x1200). I am running DX10.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? The window says "512 x 448" in the corner, but I've deselected the "native" resolution option.

Edit: I'm using the newest version, PCSX2 0.9.6. I'm using the stock DX10 (hardware) video plugin.
DX10 doesn't default to full screen ever, you have to ALT+ENTER when the window shows up to do so, then F6 (if you didn't change it in settings) to change the aspect ratio. The window will always state the game's internal resolution as well, so don't mind that.

hateradio said:
DX10 doesn't default to full screen ever, you have to ALT+ENTER when the window shows up to do so, then F6 (if you didn't change it in settings) to change the aspect ratio. The window will always state the game's internal resolution as well, so don't mind that.
Oh damn, thanks. :D

Is it important to have the internal resolution set to the same ratio as the game? Or will the program ignore the blank space? In other words, should I set my D3D internal resolution to 1920x1200 as well? Thanks!

P.S. Computer should handle it: E8500, 4870 1GB, etc., Win7/64.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
opticalmace said:

Is it important to have the internal resolution set to the same ratio as the game? Or will the program ignore the blank space? In other words, should I set my D3D internal resolution to 1920x1200 as well? Thanks!

You don't need to set the internal res to be the same as the screen's res. I usually keep the game's native res and multiply it by 5 or 6, placing those numbers in the internal.

kai3345 said:
So do you need a fairly high end pc to run this thing or what?
You just need a core 2 duo w/ a min of 3.2GHz (though I have an e8400 and it's at 3GHz) or similar with a decent graphics card.

Zaptruder

Banned
I don't know why people are hating on FFXIII's grass texture so much... the textures themself are quite good. Just the lack of AF really brings it down.

I just installed this for the first time, are there any plugins I need besides the default ones (using DX10)? Would be neat to know if there are any of those filters you could use in ePSXe available as well.

Is 0.9.6 the best version out there?

MNC

riceandbeans said:

Nomnom vanilla.

Chris R

Is there a full on list for which games work? I did a quick setup and tried Xenosaga but the first program I used to rip the iso was bad, now using DVD Decrypter to rip it again. Wouldn't mind ripping several of my PS2 games that I've never beaten and play them with nice AA/AF ect.

If I had a bluetooth thingy I'd setup Dolphin too :(

edit: strike the first question, I found a compatibility list.

rhfb said:
Is there a full on list for which games work? I did a quick setup and tried Xenosaga but the first program I used to rip the iso was bad, now using DVD Decrypter to rip it again. Wouldn't mind ripping several of my PS2 games that I've never beaten and play them with nice AA/AF ect.

If I had a bluetooth thingy I'd setup Dolphin too :(
This list seems to be pretty extensive.

Zaptruder said:
I don't know why people are hating on FFXIII's grass texture so much... the textures themself are quite good. Just the lack of AF really brings it down.

Well its a console game, if Square choose to use zero AF then there aint shit you can do about it. Doesn't matter how it could potentially look, as is, it looks like swirled up vomit (the ground textures that is). The game is such a mixed bag, the character modelling and shading is literally as good as it gets yet the environments can look pretty damn terrible at times.

Kosma

Banned
My pc just cant handle the emulation I think. Tried it with FFX but I get huge frameratedrops in battles and choppy sound.

Will try again on my next rig cause the graphics are awesome and I cant wait for remakes.

Chris R

Having so many issues trying to get Xenosaga (EP1) working :lol

The game starts up fine, but as soon as I enter into a new game I get a black screen with only the radar in the lower right corner.

And I'm seriously thinking about grabbing two of those dongles. Thanks for that link

yanhero

Zaptruder said:

I'm hating on it because it is just one big texture.

Xavien

opticalmace said:

Yes, its also good to force 16:9 ratio as well. Be warned though, setting the Internal Resolution to the same as the display resolution will increase system load by quite a bit. But it shouldn't be a problem, for example i have a Q6600 @ 3Ghz and a 8800GT and i can run FFX and FFXII smoothly at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 (with Internal Resolutions to match).

You'll need to set cycle rate to 1.5x (don't use 2x, it breaks too much) and activate every speed hack except IOPx2, Min/Max and status flag. It will also help to get the r1888 beta and get at-least r2150 of the GSDX plugin (google it) (as this fixes the flickering issues in numerous games and flickering FMV's in FFXII).

Finally, force AFx16 and MSAAx2 (with transparency AA) in your ATI/Nvidia control panel for the emulator and you'll have incredible quality graphics up there with the best screenshots in this thread at 50/60fps (depending on region).

It also helps with loading if you rip your games to the HDD and play them as ISO's on the Emulator.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wow. Can't believe I waited until tonight to finally try this emulator. Was painless to set up...much, much better than ePSXe (PS1 emulator).

Dumped my FF12 image with ImgBurn...no need for any secret dumping techniques or anything, the straight image works great.

GSDx SSSE3 version
D3D10
1680*1050 res (and internal res as well)
16:9 ratio

Zero speed hacks.

Full 60fps. Wow. Didn't think I'd pull that off with no speed hacks.

Hardware:

E6600 @ 3.0GHz
GTX 275
4GB RAM

edit: forcing AA through the NVidia control panel doesn't seem to do anything. =\

Is PS2 Emulation ever going to get to the point to which I can play it on my 2.0GHZ Intel Dual-Core Laptop? I played the last version when I had my desktop (which was a 2.33GHZ Intel Dual-core), and it seemed to hold up surprisingly well.

bwahhhhh

can anyone do me a nice favor and post a pic of Jak and Daxter? i know the emulation is not good in that game, but i always considered it the "prettiest" PS2 game, (more visually appealing to me than the sequels, despite the sequels having technically superior graphics) only drawback was the texture shimmer and aliasing.

tokkun

TheExodu5 said:
edit: forcing AA through the NVidia control panel doesn't seem to do anything. =\

Forcing AA & AF only works if you are using the DX9 version of the plugin, have your internal resolution set to your screen resolution, and are running in fullscreen.

TheExodu5

Banned
Number 2 said:
You dont really need AA with GSDX since you can change the internal res in the settings.

Hmmm so I could just supersample myself? How well does supersampling work if the resolution isn't a multiple of the screen resolution? Could I, for example, use 2048*2048 internal res for my 1680*1050 output? Or should I be keeping it as a multiple?

jett

D-Member
TheExodu5 said:
Hmmm so I could just supersample myself? How well does supersampling work if the resolution isn't a multiple of the screen resolution? Could I, for example, use 2048*2048 internal res for my 1680*1050 output? Or should I be keeping it as a multiple?

It doesn't matter. Put 8000x4000 if you want. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom