• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MK9 Update

2D or bust.

five or so 3D craps and they still haven't figure it out. They are not Virtua Fighter or Tekken.

Just make an updated version of Trilogy and we're set.

I loved Shaolin Monks, but that just a spin off. Real MK games were total crap ever since MK4.

I thought Mortal Kombat: Armageddon was pretty good, not SF or Tekken quality but really enjoyable. Nobody could beat me when I picked Quan Chi and brought out those dual swords :D

You also have a fun Kart racer if you ever got tired of fighting.

wRATH2x

Banned
I hope this game returns MK to its former glory. I liked MK4, DA, Deception and Armageddon, I thought MK VS. DC sucked. Even if I liked those 3D games I still really want the return of the dark and violent as all hell MK we used to have.

And I never liked how the characters looked cartoony and goofy from DA to Armageddon, or comic book like in MK VS. DC. The 2D games had them looking realistic so I think the characters should all look as real as possible.

Oh and I want Shaolin Monks 2 please!

I've been MK'd out the past few weeks since I had to study it in class for 3 weeks (movies, TV shows and games)
Can't wait for MK9, was playing UMK3 and was gonna start playing Deception and Armageddon but I don't feel like trying to complete that conquest mode to unlock things.

EXGN

I posted this in a thread a while ago, and I'll repost it here because my sentiments are still the same:

Mortal Kombat was more of a casual fighting game - fun to watch for the fatalities/blood/gore, easy to pick up because all the characters controlled the same outside of specials. As the series progressed, Midway lost track of that, and tried to ape other fighters, incorporating parry systems, different 'stances'(up to 3 per character in some games), long chains of dial-a-combos, ridiculous subsystems, etc. The bitter cherry on the Mortal Kombat sundae was that this was all layered on top of an inherently broken fighting engine. They tried to go technical like VF, SF, Tekken, and SC when their fan base didn't want that to begin with.

Over the last 10 or so years, I think there has been one Mortal Kombat game that has stepped back towards the right direction, and that is Shaolin Monks. Adopting a more casual friendly, Power Stone/Smash Bros-type of play style worked wonderfully. You had you're easy to pick up controls, the brutally awesome fatalities, a fun and surprisingly compelling campaign that just can't be done in a traditional fighting game, pretty much everything that the other MK games did wrong. The next Mortal Kombat game should go that route, with stories for every character(the one thing the series has always done decently well), a 4 player brawl mode, co-op, etc.

MK Deadly Alliance had a lot of potential, but after that it went downhill. Not that Deception was bad, but the story could have been a lot better...

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Glad to see all the comments!!!

Here's some more recent tweets....looks like Ed's finally starting to reveal a little bit...

"@Delriach @noobde have you guys ever thought about doing a developer blog for MK9? Noobde: We have a LOT of cool online stuff coming. A LOT
12:16 AM Apr 24th via web

RT: cyberdog2k9 @noobde how different does the game looks and play from mkvsdc? noobde: Very Very different.
11:50 PM Apr 23rd via web

RT @Slit518 Since going with Warner Brothers are they giving you a lot of funding and freedom? Noobde: WB has been amazing, you will notice!
11:53 PM Apr 24th via web

OK, random dumb question from me. If you had a choice of Animalities OR Babalities. Which would you pick?
11:58 PM Apr 24th via web

RT @MKBat I really liked Create a character, Would you consider bringing that back? Noobde: Consider? Yes. This game? Can't say. :( 11:24 PM Apr 25th via web

RT @wopchop11 But when are we gonna here some more details on the new mk game Noobde: The game is f***ing FAST !! In a good way.
8:01 PM Apr 28th via web

wRATH2x

Banned
Street Fighter had its come back, time for Mortal Kombat to do the same!

We've spent the better part of the last decade trying to recreate the 80's, how about for the next 10 years we try the 90's.

grkazan12

wRATH2x said:
Street Fighter had its come back, time for Mortal Kombat to do the same!

We've spent the better part of the last decade trying to recreate the 80's, how about for the next 10 years we try the 90's.

QFT, Street Fighter IV basically brought back the fighting genre into the new millennium, now it's Mortal Kombat's time to finally come back.

DrDogg

My E3 would be perfect if I get a 2D Mortal Kombat and a 2D Killer Instinct... and a Final Fantasy XIV PS3 beta date.

wRATH2x

Banned
grkazan12 said:
QFT, Street Fighter IV basically brought back the fighting genre into the new millennium, now it's Mortal Kombat's time to finally come back.
And Super Street Fighter IV shows that its here to stay!

Gouken

Banned
take it back to MK2 style. get rid of the dreaded dial-a-combo crap, kill the run buttons, make it 2.5D(like SF4), get rid of the switching fighting styles, and most of all make a seriously violent game.

aaaaaa

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
This is the type of stuff that i hope is in MK9...all that weird random stuff that people would observe and laugh and be like..WTF?? :lol Other stuff im referring to is the "Toasty" head in MK2, the mixed up letters in MK2's end credits that were hints, the weird characters that would pop out in the backgrounds....MK9 NEEDS to have this type of stuff in it.

Never heard of that one... pics/video?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
aaaaaa said:
Never heard of that one... pics/video?

I cant find any screens of it....but i found this info on a site that has the various messages that could pop on the screen after the credits..You can see the last 4 are the ones that are mixed up that could pop up from time to time...

Who Is Smoke?
Where Is Sonya?
Who Is Jade?
Where Is Kano?
Friendship?
Where Is Goro?
Babality?
Ceamr Odse Nto Exits (Ermac Does Not Exist)
Emro Batmok Ot Meok (More Kombat To Kome)
Sruep Ghih Miptac (Super High Impact)
Three Rae On Stniiiaamel (There Are No Animalities)

I'm really hoping that they keep the simplicity of the first couple MK games. Like others have said this game was originally meant to be more casual. I want Smash Brothers but with blood, guts, and fatalities.

Bleepey

In the next MK game i want:

Decent animation. I hate how shitty the animation in the MK games seem, barring a few moments of fluidity it was really rigid.

Think about the characters. What strengths and weaknesses must each character have. Move priority, normals etc think of those things. Look at ST and SF4. Fluid playing games, characters played differently to each other.

Decent story. The MK universe's best assest. Great character designs, it's the only reason people continue to give a shit.

Test the shit out of the game. Balance and bugs need to be addressed.

Netcode. Throw some GGPO in a bitch.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Top Bottom