• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MK9 Update

fernoca

Guys,,cam down.. :p
The game hasn't been confirmed to be a throwback...yet.

Basically Ed Boon has been wanting to make a gritty..return to roots Mortal Kombat game...since Deception/Armageddon.

The only bits that are official, so far are:
That Fatalities will be the bloodiest..ever...with Ed Boon even wondering if they were taking things...too much to the extreme.

If it's 2D..who knows..
So far, there has been pictures of costumes used for motion capture sessions (and basic costumes, not fully made ones..basically boots and helmets with trackers)....

And actors that did some voice over..like the one that did Sonya, the one that did Scorpion..and an actress that listed playing "Katana", so many assumed it was Kitana..with a typo.

Pachinko

Go back in time to MK2 and even some aspects of UMK3, figure out which characters worked the best, reboot the storyline.

I may be more of a fan of capcom and even some snk games but there were aspects of MK1-3 I liked. When the series went 3d though something happened, they decided to borrow from Tekken too much. It was nice to borrow the concept of giant 3d battle arenas from DOA2 but the game didn't play fast enough and all the weapons just made for a messy fighting system. I'm not going to call it terrible mind you, MK5/6 had some merit.

Just, they paled in comparison to the top tier 3d fighters in the same way mk1-3 paled when compared to street fighter.

I know these guys are capable of making a fighting game that can stand toe to toe WITH the likes of SFIV, they've had years and years and dozens of versions to work out the kinks, it's just a matter of getting everything right in 1 game.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
fernoca said:
Also, the team is going to receive the name 'Netherealm Studios'..which will be displayed along with the 'WB Games' logo.
So, that's the new name for Midway Games? I still think WB should have kept the old name, it has a lot of sentimental value.

fernoca

twinturbo2 said:
So, that's the new name for Midway Games? I still think WB should have kept the old name, it has a lot of sentimental value.
Well, it may be the new name for Midway Games Chicago (MK team) which was what WB bought, not the rest of the studios...nothing official yet. Just some trademarks and stuff, and since Netherealm is associated with MK..many assumed it is.

LongDongJunon said:
What I really have been waiting for is a sequel to Shaolin Monks.

Please consider this one of these days.
Already did..and a port of the original to the PSP.
With the whole debacle at Midway, both were canned...for the moment.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
fernoca said:
Well, it may be the new name for Midway Games Chicago (MK team) which was what WB bought, not the rest of the studios...nothing official yet. Just some trademarks and stuff, and since Netherealm is associated with MK..many assumed it is.

Already did..and a port of the original to the PSP.
With the whole debacle at Midway, both were canned...for the moment.
Hm, okay. And I hope that the sequel to Shaolin Monks gets revived and released.
EDIT: Going through trmk.com, it sounds like WB didn't bother to pick up the Midway Games branding, yet they own the midway.com domain. Odd...

http://www.trmk.org/news/12858/could_wb_games_chicago_get_a_mortal_kombat_rebranding.html

KAL2006

Banned
I always hated the gameplay of MK games (yes including the 2D games), it just felt clunky and wierd to me. But I do like the characters and the overall style of MK games. My favourite MK game was Shaolin Monks, and that wasn't a proper fighting game.

Yeah, seriously, put this game on the back burner, and make a Shaolin Monks 2 first please! XBLA game would be great. I will even allow you to DLC the shit out of it with extra characters.

DOIT.

As much as I would like to see a return to form with the MK brand(with some balancing and polishing of course), I'm with everyone who is voting on a Shaolin Monks sequel. In all honesty, it was one of the best beat em ups ever imo and it had the feel and style an MK game should. When it released, I didn't expect much from it at all, but it turned out to be a real treat. If someone important is reading this, listen to the cries and release it. Its an action game, coop, nice moves, and a good theme, with a popular brand name and characters. There is also blood and gore.

The checks practically write themselves.

Manus

Yes, I'm all for them to go back to using 2D. I loved me some Ultimate Mortal Kombat and MK3 Trilogy.

Needs to take the Sonic 4 route and make it 2d/2.5 d. Have real actors, old button set up, dark characters/style. Make it like a 70's martial arts film with over the top gore.

tim1138

For those wanting a new Shaolin Monks, Boon posted this on his twitter a few days ago:

RT @dhalamar is there ever going to be another game like shaolin monks? Noobde: God I hope so

fernoca

The thing with Shaolin Monks, is that while it sold good and made expectations (1+ million worldwide)...

Most of it's love came..way after it was released..when it was reduced in price, some got it used....heck, the fact that they were giving two action figures (not figurines) for preordering the game (Kung Lao and Liu Kang)...yet, Gamestop could only get rid of them by giving them to people preordering..anything....

Also..
Many "fans" didn't bothered at first, because it wasn't a fighting game (even when it included a port of the arcade version of MKII)..and others ignored it because "lol Mortal Combat sox"..

The MK team knows about the "late love" and people wantign a sequel (which is why it was at planning stages), but if anything..people need to direct all that love towards WB games..they always wanted MK and has been trademarking the hell out o everything (shirts, figures, posters, etc)..so they obviously consider it an important franchise.

fernoca said:
Well, yeah..they still sell you know...and are quite good. :p

Now at least they have more people, more money to invest, more time..so things should only get better...

I thought Midway went out of business.

Bleepey

fernoca said:
I think it was confirmed already that while Capcom US had no problems, Capcom Japan did....or something like that...back then; now with WB..who knows.

I did not know Capcom US were down with it, since Capcom US have the licence maybe there's hope. Now i just need MK vs SF, KI3, VF vs Tekken and the fighting game renaissance has divided by 0, gone over 9000 and made a Dane Cook joke funny. A guy can dream.

fernoca

Bleepey said:
I did not know Capcom US were down with it, since Capcom US have the licence maybe there's hope. Now i just need MK vs SF, KI3, VF vs Tekken and the fighting game renaissance has divided by 0, gone over 9000 and made a Dane Cook joke funny. A guy can dream.
Well "okay with it" as in "Ask Japan and see if they accept".. :p
Similar with Resident Evil, Paul Anderson has to talk everything to Capcom in Japan...no matter if he's filming in the US and he's from Europe.

tim1138

fernoca said:
The thing with Shaolin Monks, is that while it sold good and made expectations (1+ million worldwide)...

Most of it's love came..way after it was released..when it was reduced in price, some got it used....heck, the fact that they were giving two action figures (not figurines) for preordering the game (Kung Lao and Liu Kang)...yet, Gamestop could only get rid of them by giving them to people preordering..anything....

Also..
Many "fans" didn't bothered at first, because it wasn't a fighting game (even when it included a port of the arcade version of MKII)..and others ignored it because "lol Mortal Combat sox"..

The MK team knows about the "late love" and people wantign a sequel (which is why it was at planning stages), but if anything..people need to direct all that love towards WB games..they always wanted MK and has been trademarking the hell out o everything (shirts, figures, posters, etc)..so they obviously consider it an important franchise.

I would be all about a new Shaolin Monks if it was a bit more polished. My wife and I played (and loved) the original on the Xbox until we hit a game ending glitch where it locked up and deleted our save.

G-Fex

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
All we know so far (based on various tweets from Ed, etc...)is that this game is supposed to be going back to the style of MK2. Im pretty excited!

Well that's great! MK2 was the best one, the sytle, the characters, the bosses, it was perfect. I'd love to see that then.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i thought DEADLY ALLIANCE was fairly bad ass really. mechanically i enjoyed it a lot more than the old MK games.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
fernoca said:
I'd wish they show that same love to the other Midway franchises they picked up. Aside from greenlighting a movie based on Spy Hunter (yes, it's going to happen this time), nothing else.

Put the old classics on Game Room or Virtual Console, make a Wii compilation of the Midway light gun titles, do stuff like that, make some money that way.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Why do I get this feeling that the presentation is going to be like Mortal Kombat meets Grindhouse?

(also, Shaolin Monks was fucking awesome)

Zing

Banned
What the...

The last I saw of this series was MK4. When and where were 5, 6, 7, and 8? WTF?

MK2 was my favorite game. Many memories of playing that in the arcade against scrubs. MK1 and MK3 also got a lot of play, but the gameplay of 2 was by far the most balanced and tactical.

NewLib

Banned
Zing said:
What the...

MK2 was my favorite game. Many memories of playing that in the arcade against scrubs. MK1 and MK3 also got a lot of play, but the gameplay of 2 was by far the most balanced and tactical.

Deadly Alliance, Deception, Armagedddon, and vs. DC are 5-8.

Zing said:
What the...

They stopped being officially numbered after 4.

Deadly Alliance (though was called MK5: Deadly Alliance during development, and the logo was V shaped)
Deception
Armageddon
Vs. DC Universe.

Tokubetsu

Struct09 said:
I enjoyed Deadly Alliance, Deception, and MK vs DCU. Looking forward to a return to the ridiculous violence, hoping for the best.

Same. I thought Deception was probably the best of MK since 2 and not including the VERY excellent Shaolin Monks.

Carnby

like all games of a long ruining series, MK has had its ups and downs. some might say it was a victim of it's own success.

but enough with the criticism. questioning MK's quality is like saying Friday the 13th part 6 sucked compared to part 3. all MKs are what they are. and that is fun, over the top, and outrageous fighting. and it is not to be taken too seriously.

with that said, i always look forward to the new MK. including part 9.

J-Rod said:
I always hope, but I have no faith in Ed Boon.

This......

My Issue with DA, Deception, and Armageddon the character animation they need to take a page from Capcom and make the characters fluid, and no pre-program combos, the introduction of fighting styles were kool but it was poorly implemented, the entire game was stiffer than my Erect Penis.

Salsa

Deadstar said:
This game needs one thing and one thing only.

This theme song played during the opening credits which shows incredible action like you've never seen it before.

Edit: 2.5D

Best thing about the entire franchise, and its from the movie. It gets your blood fucking pumpiiiiiiiIIIIIIiiiiing aaAAAAAAAA I WANNA KICK SOMEONES ASS NOW

MORTAL KAMBAAAAAAAAAT!

Mortal Kombat needs to be as brutal and visceral as street fighter is colorful--LOTS.

i wanna see veins and arteries when you rip someone's heart out (and possibly rib cage too)

Bleepey

I should hate the MK games but i haveasoft spot for them, i loved MK1-4 as a kid but when i play them now i think the animation is stupid and rigid. THe character designs were, and always will be, excellent though.

I would shit my pants if they somehow developed some new graphical style that let them use real actors (ala MK1-3) but updated it to today's graphic standards. Like if that tech had kept progressing...man that would be killer. I really think that's the kind of hype this game would need to have a serious rebirth, ala SFIV.

Top Bottom