• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
There is something about Halo that makes it more interesting to watch than other shooters. I checked out the COD worlds and all the production values in the world couldn't keep me entertained. PUBG I'm not sold on as something I would want to watch yet. Lawbreakers looks like a busy mess Imo.

I think it might be the ttk for Halo that sets it apart?

There is something about Halo that makes it more interesting to watch than other shooters. I checked out the COD worlds and all the production values in the world couldn't keep me entertained. PUBG I'm not sold on as something I would want to watch yet. Lawbreakers looks like a busy mess Imo.

Maybe the engagements excite you more versus the others. With Halo you do have a chance to reverse it. In COD, i always felt it was whoever got the drop first, will get the kill.

i cant comment on pubg.

Fuchsdh

Personally as much as I love the series, Halo is only marginally interesting for me as an esport. I just can't get into first-person games for spectating, because the limited perspective makes it much tougher to follow what's going on.

Madness

Seeing the Xbox One X and how games like Crackdown are delayed. Not having Halo 3 Anniversaryis a big blunder to me. Imagine having the 4K/60fps campaign of Halo 3 remastered. Follow H2A and have the multiplayer be like 4 BTB and 6 FFA/4v4 sized maps with Halo 5 engine and gameplay minus a few abilities.

This way at least you would have more people willing to buy the console day one, steal some of the hype of Destiny 2 and CoD: WWII and Battlefront II. No one is going to be touching H5 this year. If 343 didn't want to do it, moneyhat Saber Interactive and Blur again. Halo is Xbox, Xbox is Halo and yet it is relegated to almost ran in the shooter category these days.

Fuchsdh

Seeing the Xbox One X and how games like Crackdown are delayed. Not having Halo 3 Anniversaryis a big blunder to me. Imagine having the 4K/60fps campaign of Halo 3 remastered. Follow H2A and have the multiplayer be like 4 BTB and 6 FFA/4v4 sized maps with Halo 5 engine and gameplay minus a few abilities.

This way at least you would have more people willing to buy the console day one, steal some of the hype of Destiny 2 and CoD: WWII and Battlefront II. No one is going to be touching H5 this year. If 343 didn't want to do it, moneyhat Saber Interactive and Blur again. Halo is Xbox, Xbox is Halo and yet it is relegated to almost ran in the shooter category these days.

The problem with H3A is they physically could not have created a H2A experience. The power of the XB1 simply couldn't deal with it. And at least for me the instant switching is one of the best parts of the experience.

wwm0nkey

Should actually try PUBG just so I can understand what the fuss is about.

You vs 99 other players, you pick a spot to land and try to survive in a level that slowly forces you to move inward. Everything in between is how you want to play the game, it's very free form and that's why it's doing so well. Also the dynamic completely changes depending if you are playing Solo, Duo and Squad, you have to think how you tackle situations in each mode.

Should actually try PUBG just so I can understand what the fuss is about.

it's good, it's damn good.

i liken it to the biggest thing on PC since CS actually - feels that "fresh" [and similar style of development / dev history / etc].

unfortunately it can REALLY suck your time away, so i don't get to play it as much as H5 MP.

Trup1aya

You vs 99 other players, you pick a spot to land and try to survive in a level that slowly forces you to move inward. Everything in between is how you want to play the game, it's very free form and that's why it's doing so well. Also the dynamic completely changes depending if you are playing Solo, Duo and Squad, you have to think how you tackle situations in each mode.

How exactly does the game force you inward?

Trup1aya

The problem with H3A is they physically could not have created a H2A experience. The power of the XB1 simply couldn't deal with it. And at least for me the instant switching is one of the best parts of the experience.

The switching is pretty badass, but i can't imagine the feature is worth having a barren holiday quarter.

Trup1aya

Kind of a killing forcefield that restricts the play area. You can survive outside the boundaries provided you have enough first aid packs, but not for long. It can be strategic, provided you're prepared for it.

Oh ok cool. So is it constantly moving in? Or does it move on certain intervals?

BizzyBum

I played a few hours of PUBG but I'm not sure it's really my thing. Maybe because I also suck balls at it. I can see it being fun with friends, though.

Oh I don't doubt it. I just want to make a comment about how cyren could come across a field of dead horses and he'd instantly be on the phone with Louisville sluggers.
CyReN is much less persistent than this fooker here, at least on GAF:
More like jumping off a sinking ship lol. Simms is GOAT.
Just lmao. Dude's trying really hard to be the next Ragnarok, but I guess E92 is so low level that he hasn't registered on your radar, Karl lol. Zeus and some others were in the running too, but haven't seen them in a while.
Heard you were banned, glad it's not permanent breh. Just noticed Fahz is banned too from glancing at the other thread.

E92 M3

CyReN is much less persistent than this fooker here, at least on GAF:

Just lmao. Dude's trying really hard to be the next Ragnarok, but I guess E92 is so low level that he hasn't registered on your radar, Karl lol. Zeus and some others were in the running too, but haven't seen them in a while.

Heard you were banned, glad it's not permanent breh. Just noticed Fahz is banned too from glancing at the other thread.

Who is Ragnarok? I want Halo to succeed so damn well I will keep pointing out the flaws. Competitive Halo is shit right now - the league is an embarrassment. Anyone with interest in it will tell you that.

jem0208

The HCS undeniably had a bunch of issues and problems which need solving.

However, the negativity in the community has done more to turn me off the scene than any of those issues.

Oh ok cool. So is it constantly moving in? Or does it move on certain intervals?

constantly, but sort of in intervals.

it'll warn you all at first "restricting play area in X minute, move to marked area on map".

but if you actually look at the forcefield it's moving inwards at a consistent speed.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

However, the negativity in the community has done more to turn me off the scene than any of those issues.

For all the problems ESL has/had, I always find HCS to be watchable.

Except when it literally isn't.

But I do want this to thing to grow. I think the game is capable of it with some better decisions (343) and esport management (mlg?)

Trup1aya

that's what community management is for.

control the tone of the discussion by communicating with the audience- openly discuss what's good and what's bad - understand WHY people feel that way, and let the community in on planned solutions BEFORE they are implemented. Let it be a two way street.

the lack of transparency between 343 and the competitive community allows negativity to fester.

I think a lot of the issues stem for 343 not understanding what the community wants, so they spent the last 2 years guessing, and as a result took as many steps backwards as they have forwards.

Nothing sticks out more than Worlds 2017. 343 had a bulletin that detailed changes to the qualification format. it appeared that they were listening to the communities suggestions, but there were critical details missing. When the tournaments started, it turned out that they threw in a bunch of arbitrary nuances, that screwed with the integrity of the bracket - causing several top teams to meet to early in the bracket, while not so top teams advanced more easily than they should have.

fast forward to today, and we are still arbitrarily assigning champ bracket seats. I just dont get it.

op_ivy

100 - 99 E.G. over oxygen supremacy (or whatever). That was a pretty intense ending.

op_ivy

NV playing out of their minds. How long these guys are staying alive in this rig slayer is mental. Ola and mikwin wizards

Madness

Please Jem. Even pros have had enough of how 343 has run Halo 5 and the HCS. The negativity is there for a reason.

Leyasu

Banned

The instant switching should not be used imo. It takes resources that could have made the anniversary version better.

I agree with madness on this.

Detective

Please Jem. Even pros have had enough of how 343 has run Halo 5 and the HCS. The negativity is there for a reason.

I don't expect much from him actually,
He once told me that MY halo copy had problems with it because I had lag/latency, people disappeared, shots doesn't count, etc. known server issues.

I resolved all the problems thanks to my friend FUNKNOWN :) and not 343.

Leyasu

Banned
I don't expect much from him actually,
He once told me that MY halo copy had problems with it because I had lag/latency, people disappeared, shots doesn't count, etc. known server issues.

I resolved all the problems thanks to my friend FUNKNOWN :) and not 343.

How did you resolve said problems? Moving house next to a US azure centre lol

Ahaha yeah, it was because someone talked about a leaked episode of GoT and i was a dummy and said "LINK ME IN PM" so i got a week ban LOL oops!!!

thanks for thinking about me :')

CyReN

Speaking of

3ae6a11b7154da25f1343393c51269df.png

BizzyBum

This is one of those games where I kinda want to get on and play but at the same time don't have the mental energy to sweat out every game so I end up not getting on. lol

i dont think i've played for months... :( and there being no news about the xbox one x enhancements coming to halo 5, makes me not even care anymore when it drops. I'll be interested in the holiday titles now. come on halo .... revive me!

Karl2177

This is one of those games where I kinda want to get on and play but at the same time don't have the mental energy to sweat out every game so I end up not getting on. lol
Same. I have the issue where if I play arena it's too intense, but if I play warzone it's too long. And half of the games in action sack aren't fun to me. Minotaurs is like an instant afk for me.

jem0208

"The HCS undeniably had a bunch of issues and problems which need solving."

that's what community management is for.

control the tone of the discussion by communicating with the audience- openly discuss what's good and what's bad - understand WHY people feel that way, and let the community in on planned solutions BEFORE they are implemented. Let it be a two way street.

the lack of transparency between 343 and the competitive community allows negativity to fester.

I think a lot of the issues stem for 343 not understanding what the community wants, so they spent the last 2 years guessing, and as a result took as many steps backwards as they have forwards.

Nothing sticks out more than Worlds 2017. 343 had a bulletin that detailed changes to the qualification format. it appeared that they were listening to the communities suggestions, but there were critical details missing. When the tournaments started, it turned out that they threw in a bunch of arbitrary nuances, that screwed with the integrity of the bracket - causing several top teams to meet to early in the bracket, while not so top teams advanced more easily than they should have.

fast forward to today, and we are still arbitrarily assigning champ bracket seats. I just dont get it.
That's a very good point and I completely agree. I'm certainly not suggesting 343 isn't at fault. I'm saying that for me personally, the complaining about issues has had a bigger impact on my enjoyment of the HCS than the issues themselves.

Obviously if 343 were to fix those issues then the negativity would dissipate (well at least some of it, I'd be willing to bet that some people will complain about even a perfect product if 343's name is attached to it).

That said I do think a number of issues have been/are blown out of proportion.

CyReN

"The HCS undeniably had a bunch of issues and problems which need solving."

That's a very good point and I completely agree. I'm certainly not suggesting 343 isn't at fault. I'm saying that for me personally, the complaining about issues has had a bigger impact on my enjoyment of the HCS than the issues themselves.

Obviously if 343 were to fix those issues then the negativity would dissipate (well at least some of it, I'd be willing to bet that some people will complain about even a perfect product if 343's name is attached to it).

That said I do think a number of issues have been/are blown out of proportion.

I used to be hopeful like you, not going to lie. 343i has turned a lot of customers away though. I could list a mountain of issues you could count as small but a lot of fans have been pushed away. I wish Halo was big like it once was, I wish our Esports league had 100k legitimate viewers, I wish MCC worked, I wish we still had 200+ teams at our events. Stuff happens, and here we are.

Stuff will always be complained about for sure, but at a certain point I would wager 95% of complaints about the HCS / ESL are legitimate.

Top Bottom