• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

CyReN

Not sure Halo 2 Esports is still in the plans, but cool to see it get spectator mode

238b21d257a8c07db4c16fa6a14c82e6.png

E92 M3

"The HCS undeniably had a bunch of issues and problems which need solving."

That's a very good point and I completely agree. I'm certainly not suggesting 343 isn't at fault. I'm saying that for me personally, the complaining about issues has had a bigger impact on my enjoyment of the HCS than the issues themselves.

Obviously if 343 were to fix those issues then the negativity would dissipate (well at least some of it, I'd be willing to bet that some people will complain about even a perfect product if 343's name is attached to it).

That said I do think a number of issues have been/are blown out of proportion.

Which issues are blown out of proportion?

I used to be hopeful like you, not going to lie. 343i has turned a lot of customers away though. I could list a mountain of issues you could count as small but a lot of fans have been pushed away. I wish Halo was big like it once was, I wish our Esports league had 100k legitimate viewers, I wish MCC worked, I wish we still had 200+ teams at our events. Stuff happens, and here we are.

Stuff will always be complained about for sure, but at a certain point I would wager 95% of complaints about the HCS / ESL are legitimate.
Yep. I just dont get some of the decisions being made. 343 are trying to really bring halo back to the forefront but they sabotage their own work so much of the time.

jem0208

Which issues are blown out of proportion?
Worlds venue.

Yeah, it was embarrassing for 343 and it probably sucked for the 200 or so people that attended but for the people watching online (ie: the vast, vast majority of the audience) it made next to no difference to the experience.

We had this well produced and fairly well ran tourney with some exciting matches and all everyone was talking about was the seating arrangements.

CyReN

Worlds venue.

Yeah, it was embarrassing for 343 and it probably sucked for the 200 or so people that attended but for the people watching online (ie: the vast, vast majority of the audience) it made next to no difference to the experience.

We had this well produced and fairly well ran tourney with some exciting matches and all everyone was talking about was the seating arrangements.

Worlds venue was not overblown, people traveled from Europe and Mexico for this event and thought it was terrible. The only reason people know about Halo eSports in 2017 is because of how the venue picture became a meme.

jem0208

Worlds venue was not overblown, people traveled from Europe and Mexico for this event and thought it was terrible. The only reason people know about Halo eSports in 2017 is because of how the venue picture became at meme.
Again, those who attended make up a tiny percentage of the audience.

It was overblown.

CyReN

Again, those who attended make up a tiny percentage of the audience.

It was overblown.

Terrible way to look at things, those are some loyal and hardcore fans that spend their money on a terrible venue. ESL and HCS made Halo eSports look like a joke because of it. No way to sugarcoat it, it was not overblown lol. I know those 200 people don't matter to you, but I actually knew some of them and they had to look at this

E92 M3

Worlds venue.

See, I was seriously going to consider your opinion, but the world's venue was an absolute EMBARRASSMENT.

People wasted money going to the ESL "campus." But hey, we got food carts! I actually cared about Halo esports, unlike ESL and 343 by proxy.

JoeLT

Now that Halo Wars 2 has been announced to be gettting Xbox Live Arena support and a spectator mode it would be great if Halo 5 got Arena support as well.

wwm0nkey

People act like the entire tournament was ruined because a few people had some shitty seats.

It was still a bad event. There were issues, people were very vocal about them and they shouldn't just be swept under the rug. I personally hope 343 becomes a bit more transparent in the way they are handling the pro scene, it would go a long way imo.

jem0208

It was still a bad event. There were issues, people were very vocal about them and they shouldn't just be swept under the rug. I personally hope 343 becomes a bit more transparent in the way they are handling the pro scene, it would go a long way imo.
It wasn't a bad event though, it was great to watch.

I'm also not suggesting the issues should be ignored, I just think they were overblown.

CyReN

It wasn't a bad event though, it was great to watch.

I'm also not suggesting the issues should be ignored, I just think they were overblown.

Not a troll, but do you think MCC was overblown? I just want to know how deep this rabbit hole goes.

jem0208

Hey, I'm supposed to be the old man!

I would also like to see a strong campaign in H6.
Besides the poor bossfights and pretty average vehicle levels I still think that H5's campaign played really well.

The story was shit but it was still fun killing aliens.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Besides the poor bossfights and pretty average vehicle levels I still think that H5's campaign played really well.

The story was shit but it was still fun killing aliens.

I definitely enjoyed playing it. Would just like to see them tighten things up story wise and level design.

wwm0nkey

Don't waste your time with Halo 5. Unless you still have it on your console. Play SPV3 instead, especially Silent Cartographer Evolved.

Going to be honest here, I am happy with what SPV3 team did....but I like hate all the additions to the campaign that was added lol

Juan

Going to be honest here, I am happy with what SPV3 team did....but I like hate all the additions to the campaign that was added lol

There are things I also hate, but it ends being from the second half of the campaign, so I can't really (only) blame SPV3 for this. They actually achieved to make The Library kind of fun, so only for that, they deserve my praise haha.

And I thought Silent Cartographer Evolved was a bold yet great and personal vision of what Halo should have been in term of PvE experience. And it made me think I didn't really had the pleasure to splatter an Elite since Halo CE haha.

Welfare

The Worlds venue was an absolute embarrassment. Perception on a product is massively important and Halo was seen as a joke.

lol, nah, I ended up deleting the game.
Regret every fucking minute.

Next time the should label it " better in US "
Speaking of

3ae6a11b7154da25f1343393c51269df.png
lmao
Ahaha yeah, it was because someone talked about a leaked episode of GoT and i was a dummy and said "LINK ME IN PM" so i got a week ban LOL oops!!!

thanks for thinking about me :')
Oh great, you're back..
:]
Same. I have the issue where if I play arena it's too intense, but if I play warzone it's too long. And half of the games in action sack aren't fun to me. Minotaurs is like an instant afk for me.
I imagine a lot of Halo fans feel this way with 343's handling of playlists. How they get rid of Skirmish instead of consolidating ranked playlists is beyond me.. Its removal completely crushed my drive to get on Halo 5, and that's not an exaggeration. I don't think I've played more than two games since then lol.

BizzyBum

Where has ExWife, Fat, Prinz, etc. been? Haven't seen them in awhile, just sick of 5 like the rest of us? lol

I've actually been playing more HCS lately, way more than any other month. I'm just hoping the sandbox update doesn't screw it up too much.

Trup1aya

People act like the entire tournament was ruined because a few people had some shitty seats.

Cmon man.

Not only was the seating an embarrassment, but the entire world's qualification process was a joke was marred by embarrassing structural decisons.

1: Remember when bubu's team got robbed of a pro league spot?
2: Then there was UGC St Louis- there were only 7 pro teams to fill the champ bracket. Instead of having a playoff for 8th seed and promoting 8 from the open- they came up with the dumbest solution imaginable- give the 12th seed a bye (and a free ride to top 12). This screwed the top AMs and loaded one half of the bracket- unfairly impacting the path top 8
3: then, they awarded seeding points based on St Louis placements, but gave pros an additional 16k for no reason at all- Giving pros an easier path to world's despite being outperformed in qualifiers, and effectively limiting the number of non pros who could actually make it to world's
4: then they had pros and ams in the same online qualifier cups, despite the previously mentioned pro seeding points. This ruined the integrity of the cups, since AMs who were playing for open bracket seeding were getting knocked out by pros who were already in the champ bracket.
5: then there was vegas, where Thanks again to the moronic seeding situation, winning the open meant a tougher first round on Sunday.
6: then there was world's with the tent that became the laughing stock of esports.

The tournament was ruined long before the seating fiasco.

I love how you try to minimize the valid criticism people have for hcs. there's a source for the "negativity"... it's a bad product.

Juan

I took me like 3 minutes to understand what was going on with this picture... And then I laughed like never before. Oh my god, come on guys...

jem0208

Cmon man.

Not only was the seating an embarrassment, but the entire world's qualification process was a joke was marred by embarrassing structural decisons.

1: Remember when bubu's team got robbed of a pro league spot?
2: Then there was UGC St Louis- there were only 7 pro teams to fill the champ bracket. Instead of having a playoff for 8th seed and promoting 8 from the open- they came up with the dumbest solution imaginable- give the 12th seed a bye (and a free ride to top 12). This screwed the top AMs and loaded one half of the bracket- unfairly impacting the path top 8
3: then, they awarded seeding points based on St Louis placements, but gave pros an additional 16k for no reason at all- Giving pros an easier path to world's despite being outperformed in qualifiers, and effectively limiting the number of non pros who could actually make it to world's
4: then they had pros and ams in the same online qualifier cups, despite the previously mentioned pro seeding points. This ruined the integrity of the cups, since AMs who were playing for open bracket seeding were getting knocked out by pros who were already in the champ bracket.
5: then there was vegas, where Thanks again to the moronic seeding situation, winning the open meant a tougher first round on Sunday.
6: then there was world's with the tent that became the laughing stock of esports.

The tournament was ruined long before the seating fiasco.

I love how you try to minimize the valid criticism people have for hcs. there's a source for the "negativity"... it's a bad product.

To be honest most of that just doesn't bother me. They're all valid criticisms but frankly I just don't care all that much. All I'm bothered about is watching some good Halo matches and despite all the issues you've mentioned we've had that in spades.

Shitty seating doesn't have much of an effect on the quality of gameplay on screen.

But jem, you said the issues are overblown. Just because you personally don't care about them does not mean they are not overblown and don't hurt the brand. That's the point of the discussion you were just in; your personal feelings and enjoyment are irrelevant.

You can't reasonably think these issues don't hurt 343's/Halo's image.

jem0208

But jem, you said the issues are overblown. Just because you personally don't care about them does not mean they are not overblown and don't hurt the brand. That's the point of the discussion you were just in; your personal feelings and enjoyment are irrelevant.

You can't reasonably think these issues don't hurt 343's/Halo's image.
I said the venue issue was overblown, which I stand by.

The main reason the venue issue hurt Halo's image is because it was overblown. That and the fact that people like to laugh at things.

I'd also argue that whilst the other issues trup mentioned are completely valid, they didn't ruin the tourney itself.

BizzyBum

I usually don't call out much when solo q but I just played with a buddy and tried calling out and I don't know if it's just me but I actually found it way harder to play trying to call out and receiving call outs and playing at the same time. lol

I think my brain can't juggle all the responsibilities at once or something. I guess it's something you just need to practice.

Trup1aya

To be honest most of that just doesn't bother me. They're all valid criticisms but frankly I just don't care all that much. All I'm bothered about is watching some good Halo matches and despite all the issues you've mentioned we've had that in spades.

Shitty seating doesn't have much of an effect on the quality of gameplay on screen.

That's like saying- who cares if the regular season and playoffs were rigged, the Superbowl was fun to watch. Oh yah and nevermind that ticket holders had to watch the game on a TV in the atrium.

All of this stuff matters to players, owners, and fans alike.

I'm not sure if you are into sports, but a large part of what makes a season interesting is not just the gameplay, but the meaning behind each victory/defeat. HCS Proleague has trampled all over that idea since its inception. Then, when Worlds 2017 presented an opportunity to improve, they actually took massive steps back with a really stupid qualification process.

The shitty venue blew up because it was like a monument to HCS' consistent sub-mediocrity. If fans and participants of hcs were actually happy with the state of affairs, you wouldn't have had the high profile rants associated with the venue.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I can see where Jem is coming from. The community, not necessarily this community, can be brutal. Any fuck up is not only called out (appropriate) but then dredged along, turned into memes, and beaten like a dead horse. I don't think it's a stretch to say that such communities ARE toxic and tend to view the entire picture from that light. I won't call it hive mind / group think, but it definitely becomes the norm and an in joke. These communities become cliques of people escalating issues. This is all 343/esl fault mind you, but it paints such a negative view of the game that doesn't match the enjoyment i still have playing and watching it. So, is the criticism overblown? No, but i think it often can go too far.

I think neogaf does a fairly good job of both critiquing and praising the game deservedly.

I can see where Jem is coming from. The community, not necessarily this community, can be brutal. Any fuck up is not only called out (appropriate) but then dredged along, turned into memes, and beaten like a dead horse. I don't think it's a stretch to say that such communities ARE toxic and tend to view the entire picture from that light. I won't call it hive mind / group think, but it definitely becomes the norm and an in joke. These communities become cliques of people escalating issues. This is all 343/esl fault mind you, but it paints such a negative view of the game that doesn't match the enjoyment i still have playing and watching it. So, is the criticism overblown? No, but i think it often can go too far.

I think neogaf does a fairly good job of both critiquing and praising the game deservedly.
Yeah, I think what so-called "apologists" (for a lack of a better descriptor) sometimes forget is that the ideas aren't mutually exclusive. The Halo community most definitely bathes in controversy, but the issues raised over ESL and competitive Halo in general are not really overblown either. Halo deserves better.

CyReN

Yeah, I think what so-called "apologists" (for a lack of a better descriptor) sometimes forget is that the ideas aren't mutually exclusive. The Halo community most definitely bathes in controversy, but the issues raised over ESL and competitive Halo in general are not really overblown either. Halo deserves better.

Maybe this isn't the best way to look at things, but I think it's good at least people are sticking around to criticize it still, if they didn't care they would have just left the scene and series behind cold turkey.

Of corse people can go overboard, but it works both ways with shills. I think there are still a lot of people around that have a good understanding where Halo / HCS is, and hope it returns to form - but most aren't holding their breath anymore. I think that explains the quick reactions and comments.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Maybe this isn't the best way to look at things, but I think it's good at least people are sticking around to criticize it still, if they didn't care they would have just left the scene and series behind cold turkey.

Of corse people can go overboard, but it works both ways with shills. I think there are still a lot of people around that have a good understanding where Halo / HCS is, and hope it returns to form - but most aren't holding their breath anymore. I think that explains the quick reactions and comments.

I draw the line when reading through a post/posts and I say to myself "if you hate the game so much why are you on a halo forum or in a halo thread?" It can be a major turn off to me, and assume othets, when this question comes to the forefront often. I also think communities that foster and even encourage this kind of discourse are doing as much/almost as much damage to the game as any fuck up dsl or 343 does.

Cranster

Banned
I draw the line when reading through a post/posts and I say to myself "if you hate the game so much why are you on a halo forum or in a halo thread?" It can be a major turn off to me, and assume othets, when this question comes to the forefront often. I also think communities that foster and even encourage this kind of discourse are doing as much/almost as much damage to the game as any fuck up dsl or 343 does.
Agreed, there are a couple users here whom only shit-post and provid nothing constructive to warrant a discussion. It makes the Halo community seem incredibly hostile.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Yup.

As an aside, the community update is out. Halo Warfleet is gonna be a sweet book.

Top Bottom