• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Team liquid -ace +Spartan official. While I think dropping ace was weird I'd put this as an upgrade. Spartan has been underrated lately, mainly for his tweet game, but he's an excellent player, has a tendancy to g9 off, and grinds more than most. Props to him, excited to see how they'll do.

Now if only Saiyan would jump ship for greener pastures....

BizzyBum

Supposedly Liquid wanted Saiyan but due to his contract with LG was unable to and thus they decided on Spartan.

Liquid is shitting on Optic right now in scrims.

op_ivy

Supposedly Liquid wanted Saiyan but due to his contract with LG was unable to and thus they decided on Spartan.

Liquid is shitting on Optic right now in scrims.

No kidding. I watched his stream last night, he casually matched solo against snipedown, ola, daffs, and elumnite and won. Without team chat. Listening to music. While interacting with his stream. Just shitting with the sniper.

op_ivy

Liquid 9 - 4 optic

Damn. And liquid isn't usually a squad that scrims as well as they play at lan(d)

slyfox

Saiyan is a godlike player. Easily the best player not on a top 4 team. He needs to leave LG asap. Sucks contract issues are holding him back.

belushy

Banned
Hopefully 343 has some big plans to announce after Denver finals or else Huke won't be the only one going to CoD. lol

Im very interested in the COD scene heading into WWII and i want my favorite Halo pros to be treated right. I would be fine with some other pros making the switch. Hcs is gonna be over by the summer season.

Trup1aya

Im very interested in the COD scene heading into WWII and i want my favorite Halo pros to be treated right. I would be fine with some other pros making the switch. Hcs is gonna be over by the summer season.

It's kinda bittersweet for me. Worlds 2016 got me into competitive halo and esports in general. That could have been the springboard for a healthy competitve scene, but instead the scene has been stamped out by some baffling decision making. It's so strange to me that so much cash should be invested into something managed in this way.

I can't blame any pro players for wanting to leave for greener pastures. MLG is running COD expertly and are setting a clear example for how console esports should be managed. Its a shame 343/esl won't work with them or at least emulate their structural competency.

Pro-AM players have gone through a lot. From reach being shit until 343 fixed it. To 343 signing an exclusive deal with Virgin esports. To AGL in basements. To MCC and H2A. And now this. There's only so much people can take before the look for something better.

E92 M3

I cant imagine you've played many shooters if that's the case.

Lmao, here you again blindly defending everything 343 does. It is DOCUMENTED that Halo 5 aiming is shit. I'm playing LawBreakers now and the aiming feels perfect (new shooter from a small studio).

Halo 5 beta felt fine, but they changed it for the worse.

Cranster

Banned
Lmao, here you again blindly defending everything 343 does. It is DOCUMENTED that Halo 5 aiming is shit. I'm playing LawBreakers now and the aiming feels perfect (new shooter from a small studio).

Halo 5 beta felt fine, but they changed it for the worse.
It's also been documented to be fixed as of a few months ago with a hot fix. 343i has acknowledged the issue and addressed it (which means it should not be a problem in Halo 6), so at this point you are literally going on about something that is simply now a non issue.

E92 M3

It's also been documented to be fixed as of a few months ago with a hot fix. 343i has acknowledged the issue and addressed it (which means it should not be a problem in Halo 6), so at this point you are literally going on about something that is simply now a non issue.

The core aiming mechanics were not fixed. What are you talking about?

Your aiming changing mid game based on who the hell knows what circumstances was "fixed". Core aiming mechanics still blow.

You guys think Halo 3 will get a decent population again?

Won't be anything crazy, but I'm hoping its serviceable.

BizzyBum

Personally, I'd wait and see what Halo 6 brings. It's a safe bet we'll see it next Fall and make my decision to switch to another game based on how good it is and what 343 does with competitive settings. I think going with anyone but MLG at this point for Halo 6 esports would be a huge mistake. If they announce an MLG partnership again and actually treat Halo esports with some effort then I don't think anyone moves to another game minus Huke because of $$$, possibly Snakebite too since he has a CoD background and even said on his stream he might make the switch just to see if he could do it.

Pre-ordered the Xbox One X. I hope 343i has some real content updates planned for its launch alongside the 4K update. The game could use an injection of life, which Forge maps won't bring.

BizzyBum

Pre-ordered the Xbox One X. I hope 343i has some real content updates planned for its launch alongside the 4K update. The game could use an injection of life, which Forge maps won't bring.

I wouldn't expect much. Sandbox update and the Halo 3 throwback playlist. Who knows though, we might get pleasantly surprised. I'm real interested if anything is in the pipeline for 2018.

They should first figure out how to fix their aiming mechanism. The basics are very important.

Halo 6 needs to be classic - 343 can't be trusted to keep "innovating."

I'm luke warm on the way 343i has decided to innovate/evolve Halo's gameplay, but innovation is definitely a necessity to keep Halo alive; mimicking a formula from 2001 in 2017 wouldn't be appealing to new players and would probably be pretty boring for 343i to work with. I think if that formula is instead preserved but expanded off of, then there may be less division in the community. I don't think a Halo that plays faster is a bad thing, but I think that splicing in popular trends from other games to achieve that isn't a good call. Sprint is a contentious subject because it removes aspects of Halo's classic gameplay - like always having your weapon raised and being able to move every direction at the same speed - to accommodate a particular mechanic. If 343i found a way to make the game fast that don't require sacrificing things that make Halo stand out, then I feel the fanbase would be a bit more receptive to innovation.

But honestly speaking, as much flak as I've given the new mechanics, they're perfectly serviceable and fun. Maybe not distinctly Halo, but still enjoyable. I think that Halo gameplay isn't Halo's big problem right now, but instead its identity. Comparing the direction Halo 5 took overall to any of the classics can clearly show where Halo is going wrong. The story takes itself too seriously and has become to convoluted and contrived, the art style has become unappealing, missions have become too streamlined and scripted, and a lot of other smaller details have contributed to the diminishing of Halo's identity, and now the games feel less inviting and fun. Everything has become so melodramatic and space opera focused that it's sucked all of the charisma out of Halo. Making changes such as giving the Covenant back their personality are welcomed and encouraged, 343i really needs to do more if they want to make Halo feel like Halo again.

I'd love some new dev maps or more FF goodness too but I'll be happy to run H5 4K on that new 1X alongside D2 for the short term. I guess I should dive into HW2 as well at that time, didn't pick it up at launch.

Leyasu

Banned

Same. Hopefully a few options.

Like a 4k (or as close as they can get it), plus a 1080p option that really ups the visuals.

Hopefully we will hear soon.

Voho

Same. Hopefully a few options.

Like a 4k (or as close as they can get it), plus a 1080p option that really ups the visuals.

Hopefully we will hear soon.

IIRC they aren't putting in actual 4K textures etc, and are instead rendering the game at 4K with the current assets. I don't see why they'd do this if they won't do that. Would be nice though.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hopefully 343 has some big plans to announce after Denver finals or else Huke won't be the only one going to CoD. lol

We're hard at work on those plans, and understand that being timely is crucial. We're moving as fast as we can while ensuring all the right pieces are being put into place. The studio support for esports has never been greater, and I think that will be reflected.

E92 M3

We're hard at work on those plans, and understand that being timely is crucial. We're moving as fast as we can while ensuring all the right pieces are being put into place. The studio support for esports has never been greater, and I think that will be reflected.

I think that's false - just look at how ESL is handling the pro league. We have month long breaks and then a couple of weeks of action followed by more long breaks. Some players have been waiting for 6 months to get their money - at that point, they should be collecting interest charges.

All 343 has been doing is saying "we're trying" yet the HCS is in a horrible place and only the top 3 can make any real money. Just excuse after excuse. I won't be surprised if a good bit go to COD - a properly ran league.

ESL has completely ruined the perception of Halo esports and 343 should be ashamed for partnering with them.

Trup1aya

I sure hope so... all these potential defections have me biting my nails.

This guy is a top 4 h5 player!

op_ivy

I think that's false - just look at how ESL is handling the pro league. We have month long breaks and then a couple of weeks of action followed by more long breaks. Some players have been waiting for 6 months to get their money - at that point, they should be collecting interest charges.

All 343 has been doing is saying "we're trying" yet the HCS is in a horrible place and only the top 3 can make any real money. Just excuse after excuse. I won't be surprised if a good bit go to COD - a properly ran league.

ESL has completely ruined the perception of Halo esports and 343 should be ashamed for partnering with them.
Esl's handling of this season and last, really seems like they are going through the motions and just finishing out their contract. Reading between the lines in tashi's post seems to reinforce this. Responding to support after denver - Esport support is best it's ever been, can't talk about post Denver just yet... for "reasons"

By the way, pro league starts up again tonight. Basically zero hype and shitty format aside, I'm happy to have some halo to watch. I might even bump the official thread so that belushy (edit: sorry, schuey) and I can have our own private chat

CyReN

I found out Pro League begins tonight yesterday, this whole program has killed any hype for competitive Halo I had.

Funny, you give players 3 million in prizing and they still want to leave your game. That really says a lot.

Juan

I don't follow the esport side of Halo since the end of the Halo 3 days, which is why the communication around Halo 5 was a huge turn-off, so I can't comment, but after reading this, it doesn't make me want to give it a try and follow it once again...

I don't know if that's the picture everyone has from Halo, regarding esport, but if that's so, I'm not sure it will recover from this anytime soon.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The matches are great to watch, which is why I keep coming back. Elam and T2 are very good casters as well. Hoping for changes behind the scene post Denver.

FyreWulff

So, CoD:WW2's social space looks pretty cool. With CoD, Destiny 2, and Splatoon popularising these social hubs, I wouldn't be particularly shocked to see a similar system implemented in Halo 6.

This is cool, and a natural evolution. It's more like the main menu of FPSes are going to become 3D areas to tool around in while waiting for a match.

even back in the Halo 2 / 3 days I always wanted a thing where your team was flying around inside a Pelican or some ship between matches, it comes down and picks you up at the end of each match. I marked out a bit when Titanfall did a party of it, where you get in the ship at the end and it ports into space, but it's not a continous thing.

And of course in Burnout Paradise the whole world was the lobby.

Top Bottom