• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Zaptruder

Banned
1920 by 1080 without anything else. But I just uninstalled it. 101 deaths on the first demon on the walkway in the Undead Berg was enough for me. Its been 2 solid days of trying to get passed him. I love hard but the bad controls and weird movement just made it completely unfun sadly. I really should have checked on this before getting it. Last money I had for a bit:(

Done and done. I will try to keep upbeat and play something easy. Like Ninja Gaiden on expert hahahahaha:)

I do appreciate you doing what you did. Seriously big steps in the GFX man! Bravo to you!

Are you playing with KB&Mouse? If so, why would you do that to yourself?

Because the controls otherwise aren't that bad. Indeed, they're pretty good once you get used to it.

iNvid02

these kept appearing before i went into the room so i started looking around for something, then i remembered that she has gigantic breasts
KuGsj.gif

i shot arrows at her face and anor londo fell into darkness :O

joe2187

Banned
these kept appearing before i went into the room so i started looking around for something, then i remembered that she has gigantic breasts
KuGsj.gif

i shot arrows at her face and anor londo fell into darkness :O

First Soalaire, Now gwynivere?

You are a monster...just like your avatar....an evil blond haired douchebag

TheExodu5

Banned
The Fallout 3 AO bit doesn't work properly. The effect flickers in and out, and it adds a lot of occlusion in wrong places (the ground in Anor Londo particular, which shimmers with this bit).

The Skyrim bit works really well. No negative IQ impact, subtle, but adds some real depth to the image.

Using SGSSAA + OGSSAA does reduce the overall texture quality a tiny bit compared to running at 2x2 sampling, but it's not really all that noticeable. Aliasing is actually lessened, which is nice.

Karak

Are you playing with KB&Mouse? If so, why would you do that to yourself?

Because the controls otherwise aren't that bad. Indeed, they're pretty good once you get used to it.

Nope. Never thought about playing with the KB and Mouse. That would be way bad I think.

Don't worry, I had trouble with him too. I didn't kill the tutorial boss with that techique, so I totally forgot about it. Had to ask for help here in GAF, so you're just like me :p

Now I'm stuck in the section right after him, it's a terribly difficult game!
Ya he is a weird enemy. The game doesn't seem to know how to handle the drop off from the tower very well either. So even if I am no where near the boss and drop I still stick to him for that attack and a followup which is nice...in a sort of a broken way. But then after hitting him I then either clip when falling off and fall to my death randomly, or I fly off and land between his legs only to find that you can't actually go where you should be when you are his feet. Various other bugs just made him really weird because I really couldn't count on anything working. It felt like a lot of it was just up to the game deciding to not jet me off into the abyss, or not throw me between his legs. Or the 20 or so odd times he randomly spun around in circles for a bit like he was dizzy. Which ALMOST let me kill him but right before I stuck the 2 more killing blows he did the one attack where pretty much no matter which direction he was facing he would "insta-spin" and hit you. Really weird design decisions in this game.

I don't feel so burned now after I thought about it for a few hours. I guess I feel sort of dumb for not watching more youtubes before buying. I could have easily picked out the weirdness and not wasted the money. But it won't be the first nor the last game that is on the shelf forever:)

TheExodu5

Banned
Extremely subtle effect then eh..

Yes and no.

Open up the image in two different tabs. Switch between the two tabs to appreciate the full effect.

The fact that it's subtle is good...it doesn't detract from the overall image. It simply adds more depth to it.

Anyways, I took off SGSSAA...I rather just use OGSSAA.

Alex

The controls in this game are excellent on a controller, I dont know what could really be BAD about them unless the only type of mechanics or controls you're into are the weightless, overly buttery action schemes that took over in droves this console cycle. I mean you like what you like, but nothing here is bad, IMO.

Ya he is a weird enemy. The game doesn't seem to know how to handle the drop off from the tower very well either. So even if I am no where near the boss and drop I still stick to him for that attack and a followup which is nice...in a sort of a broken way. But then after hitting him I then either clip when falling off and fall to my death randomly, or I fly off and land between his legs only to find that you can't actually go where you should be when you are his feet. Various other bugs just made him really weird because I really couldn't count on anything working. It felt like a lot of it was just up to the game deciding to not jet me off into the abyss, or not throw me between his legs. Or the 20 or so odd times he randomly spun around in circles for a bit like he was dizzy. Which ALMOST let me kill him but right before I stuck the 2 more killing blows he did the one attack where pretty much no matter which direction he was facing he would "insta-spin" and hit you. Really weird design decisions in this game.

I don't feel so burned now after I thought about it for a few hours. I guess I feel sort of dumb for not watching more youtubes before buying. I could have easily picked out the weirdness and not wasted the money. But it won't be the first nor the last game that is on the shelf forever:)

there are a few videos of that fight being done by characters at starting level with no gear. Maybe all you needed to do was level up a little and upgrade your weapon if you were having trouble

the game is difficult but you can get past anything without even leveling up at all if you play patiently and learn how to dodge stuff. thats what's great about it to me, it never feels like it's the games fault when I die, I always know why I messed up and what I can do differently to improve for next time. replaying the game I went to the second bell first for an added challenge and it made me feel great to be able to down that boss ahead of time and skip over entire areas in the process

You should try it again one day, it might be hard to get into at first but eventually everything just clicks and becomes second nature

- J - D -

Okay I rolled back my drivers to 304.whatever and that did it. AO and AA both work, though 12xS + 8x SGSAA slash my fps down to 15. I tried 12xS and it went up to a stable 30. I think I'll stay with that.

The game takes AA really well.

Karak

there are a few videos of that fight being done by characters at starting level with no gear. Maybe all you needed to do was level up a little and upgrade your weapon if you were having trouble

the game is difficult but you can get past anything without even leveling up at all if you play patiently and learn how to dodge stuff. thats what's great about it to me, it never feels like it's the games fault when I die, I always know why I messed up and what I can do differently to improve for next time. replaying the game I went to the second bell first for an added challenge and it made me feel great to be able to down that boss ahead of time and skip over entire areas in the process

You should try it again one day, it might be hard to get into at first but eventually everything just clicks and becomes second nature

Ya I certainly might. I am just seeing a lot of the technical issues. I know its easy to miss them because the game offers some amazing stuff. But they happen to be niggling points for me(the ones I stated above about collision detection, and so forth). You know how it is. Certain things are just your sticking points. Butt I think you can agree I gave it a good go:) Over 100 deaths before moving on. So I didn't just up and quit hahahahahahaha. Ya I did watch the videos. Strangely many of the videos show the same issues I saw but many others claim aren't occurring. I think many times we like something and just sort of shrug through it because what we like is good enough to have us look past others issues. But as I said, just happens to be off to me in many areas that I experienced and have been seeing.

But I won't be selling it. I don't think. So I can always come back and try it again.
I did finally defeat that fucker at the bottom of the tower with the big damn club. The insta kill guy. Actually it wasn't much skill he fell a couple times and the other time he got stuck on the scenery so I got a backstab on him:) Good moment for me.

Hmm seeing the pics above AO doesn't make much a difference at all does it? Weird.

Zeliard

The Fallout 3 AO bit doesn't work properly. The effect flickers in and out, and it adds a lot of occlusion in wrong places (the ground in Anor Londo particular, which shimmers with this bit).

The Skyrim bit works really well. No negative IQ impact, subtle, but adds some real depth to the image.

Using SGSSAA + OGSSAA does reduce the overall texture quality a tiny bit compared to running at 2x2 sampling, but it's not really all that noticeable. Aliasing is actually lessened, which is nice.

Yeah I've been using the Skyrim bit. I think the subtler look is superior. Hell I can't even use the Fallout 3 bit because it keeps my FPS at 15, heh, so it all works out.

burgerdog

Every single next gen game better have SSAO, and every PC release should have that as an option now. Games look so flat without it.

Hylian7

So when you have the borderless window option on and alt+tab, is it still supposed to minimize the game? Mine still does that.

Edit: I saw the thing about making sure you have it on windowed mode, however my monitor is 1440x900, and the only option it offers me is 1440x810. I tried it anyway, and it just went to a bordered window and lowered to 15FPS. What did I do wrong?

dino1980

Took some pictures of my new swordsman. Just love how beutiful this game has become. It feels like a remake of the ps3-version.

ib3DNRQ1wAJ4Z.bmp

ifLDSzJCrANZH.bmp

igtylUiVavGVm.bmp

Andrea23

With 0.8 D3doverrider seems to work, sadly the framerate still drops to 15 fps...

I wonder what happens by fully turning off the Vsync, unfortunately i can not disable it in this game on my system (Ati 5870) : |.

Zzoram

With 0.8 D3doverrider seems to work, sadly the framerate still drops to 15 fps...

I wonder what happens by fully turning off the Vsync, unfortunately i can not disable it in this game on my system (Ati 5870) : |.

are you forcing 2xAA in your drivers? That did the trick for my HD4870

Andrea23

are you forcing 2xAA in your drivers? That did the trick for my HD4870

I know what you mean (Powerplay related issue), thanks anyway, but this is not my problem ^^.

My card is always at full speed, the real problem is the lack of an appropriate support for triple buffering.

The downsampling applied to the particle system is a big burden, sure, and i do not expect 30fps capped on my (old) system; despite this i do not think that this huge rendering load is able to halve the framerate.
Apparently there is some intrinsic limit in the game engine, as someone said in recent days.

Zzoram

I know what you mean (Powerplay related issue), thanks anyway, but this is not my problem ^^.

My card is always at full speed, the real problem is the lack of an appropriate support for triple buffering.

The downsampling applied to the particle system is a big burden, sure, and i do not expect 30fps capped on my (old) system; despite this i do not think that this huge rendering load is able to halve the framerate.
Apparently there is some intrinsic limit in the game engine, as someone said in recent days.

It's not the game.

I have an HD4870 that runs smoothly at 1920x1200 downsampling to 1680x1050 when I force 2xAA in the drivers. It ran noticeably worse before I forced 2xAA. Your system should be able to do at least this.

Andrea23

It's not the game.

I have an HD4870 that runs smoothly at 1920x1200 downsampling to 1680x1050 when I force 2xAA in the drivers. It ran noticeably worse before I forced 2xAA. Your system should be able to do at least this.

Obviously your gpu can easily handle the 1200p. Instead, try the 1600p (then sit in front of a bonfire, for example) and you'll see with your eyes what now i'm saying, regardless of the AA override via-driver that you have applied ^^.

Andrea23

Nothing. The game logic locking it to 30/15 FPS is independent of Vsync.

And when you override that logic you just get everything moving (and logically happening) at the wrong speed.

220px-Broken_heart.svg.png

Q__Q

Thanks Durante for the definitive confirmation, exactly as i feared : (.

Thank you for this amazing mod fix. V.8 fixed the crashe I was getting if I didn't have hell marketplace running and the into skip is a godsend.

Anyone else get a big ol' heap of blur when forcing MSAA? Here's an example:

No MSAA
i7QdJyIoPv9fy.png

4xMSAA
ibjWxYGKMgvxqH.png

I'm just running normal settings in the .ini - 1080p, 540 DoF and filtering override at 0. Here are my Nvidia Inspector settings:

iYIePcHXNEAJj.PNG

Does this happen for everybody and I just haven't noticed it in screenshots?

Ledsen

AO is such a great and underappreciated effect, but with the huge performance hit on today's cards I just can't justify using it most of the time :(

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
anybody seen the steam store page for this game recently?

If anyone was wondering how terrible the keyboard controls are...

I solved my anti-aliasing blur problem. Bandicam doesn't seem to like MSAA in Dark Souls and adds blur to the shots no matter what format I choose. FRAPS seems to work much better though.

Just a heads up for anyone else posting shots with MSAA: Steer clear of Bandicam!

Jlf3M.gif

YOU DONT FUCK WITH KEN, ARRGHGHH

seriously though if i murdered your gf im sorry

you technically don't
murder her, just her incestuous brother's image of her. Some even speculate he wants to be like/or be HER in body and form *hint hint*

Top Bottom