• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Zzoram

im already forcing Voltage and clocks per ATT ;/. thanks anyway

That doesn't work, I had clocks set in drivers too but it doesn't affect this game. You have to force AA on in the driver. It doesn't actually provide AA in this game. All that does is prevent the card from power saving so you stop getting those random dips in framerate.

Before I forced 2xAA in the driver, I would jump from 30fps to 15fps all the time for no reason. Now it's basically always 30fps and I'm running even higher settings than I used to (1920x1200 now vs 1680x1050 before).

Corto

Is the Intro Skip feature really dangerous? Or is that just some humor in the .ini?

"No PCs were harmed in the coding of this fix. Please don't try this at home. We're professionals"

Just a humorous remembrance that we are responsible for anything that could happen while using the fix. ;)

Durante

Is the Intro Skip feature really dangerous? Or is that just some humor in the .ini?
Well, it's dangerous in that it is the most invasive (and therefore error-prone) thing the fix does. Realistically, the worst that could probably happen is that the game crashes.

But I can't guarantee that it isn't dangerous (just like the rest of the mod!).

Ledsen

Yes. Your speakers and/or headphones can't play frequencies that low.

A couple of questions for you, since you seem to know quite a lot about this:

1. I do have a sub, can't hear it in the configure menu, but it plays fine when it should... what about that?

2. Another question, what about the window you get after the one where you deselect all the satellite speakers? It's talking about "full register speakers" (in Swedish at least). I'm guessing I should unselect them since I have a cheap 2.1 system with two small satellites and a sub (thus no full-size, full register speakers).

3. Would downmixing affect my sound in other games? If so, for better or worse?

Zzoram

There will be no justice unless From names a helpful NPC Durante in their next Souls game. That or maybe the final boss.

Amazing. It's a direct input 8 wrapper that detours Direct3d 9 device creation. Not the most straightforward thing in the world, but if that's the way Nvidia wants to play it then BRING IT ON.

Based Durante.

Nvidia should make a blog post about you and this game. You did their work for them

Has From even acknowledged the existence of the PC port, let alone the mod, since it launched?

A part of me hopes they don't.

Dark Souls on PC has taken on a life of it's own thanks to Durante, despite From and Bandai best efforts to scupper it.

The best kind of acknowledgment would be to announce any sequel to Dark Souls to be developed on PC alongside consoles from the start.

ZoddGutts

Has From even acknowledged the existence of the PC port, let alone the mod, since it launched?

Doubt they will. If they did it would be them acknowledging it's a bad port and thanks to this guy people are now willing to buy the game and may have to pay him for fixing their game. That's why their not saying anything about this mod and why their not taking any actions against it either since it's helping sales.

Durante

Since it worked out I've packaged the new dinput8.dll based fix as version 0.8. This should also allow you to use other d3d wrappers (ie. the SMAA injector) if you want. And I've made some improvements that could slightly increase performance in CPU limited situations.

TheExodu5

Banned
A couple of questions for you, since you seem to know quite a lot about this:

1. I do have a sub, can't hear it in the configure menu, but it plays fine when it should... what about that?

2. Another question, what about the window you get after the one where you deselect all the satellite speakers? It's talking about "full register speakers" (in Swedish at least). I'm guessing I should unselect them since I have a cheap 2.1 system with two small satellites and a sub (thus no full-size, full register speakers).

3. Would downmixing affect my sound in other games? If so, for better or worse?

1. Your subwoofer doesn't support frequencies low enough. It's probably not a very big subwoofer. Most cheap subwoofers are actually mid-range woofers, and occupy the 60-250Hz spectrum or so, much of which is audible (which is why I tend to dislike a lot of subwoofers). Actual subwoofers operate at frequencies that are inaudible, around 20-80Hz. You need a really big driver for this, in the vacinity of 12-18 inches.

2. Yeah, you're probably best unselecting them. Full range means speakers that can support down to around 20Hz basically. What this will do is set a crossover frequency (don't know where...possibly around 200Hz) and send those low frequencies to your subwoofer instead.

3. It will affect your sound in other games. For better or for worse? Depends on the game and your preferences...I can't really say.

D3RANG3D

Since it worked out I've packaged the new dinput8.dll based fix as version 0.8. This should also allow you to use other d3d wrappers (ie. the SMAA injector) if you want. And I've made some improvements that could slightly increase performance in CPU limited situations.

So do you delete the d3d9.dll?

Durante

Yes, you need to delete d3d9.dll

NICE! It seems to work for me I set it to 3840x2160 with my 680m and I was getting solid 30 fps in the first area. Great work!

EDIT: so I should just use the 0.8 then?
Yes. Glad to see that it seems to work for most Optimus users.

Durante

But, I am using a dimput8 that comes with Xbox360ce :(
Don't worry, You have been anticipated ;). Read the update on my blog and look at the .ini!

Rename that dinput8.dll to something like "360ce.dll" (any name works) and set the wrapper option in the .ini to 360ce.dll.

Don't worry, You have been anticipated ;). Read the update on my blog and look at the .ini!

Rename that dinput8.dll to something like "360ce.dll" (any name works) and set the wrapper option in the .ini to 360ce.dll.

A little confused on injecting SMAA. Do I rename the typical SMAA d3d9.dll to the d8 thing and then put that name in the file or?

Would love to add some SMAA to the mix

Durante

A little confused on injecting SMAA. Do I rename the typical SMAA d3d9.dll to the d8 thing and then put that name in the file or?

Would love to add some SMAA to the mix
No, d3d-based wrappers you can just use as normal now. The ini setting is for using additional dinput8 wrappers.

No, d3d-based wrappers you can just use as normal now. The ini setting is for using additional dinput8 wrappers.

Thx for the reply. SMAA is indeed working.

But LoL, I think it does not know how to detect a jaggy correctly

Check this out.

Dark Souls 1080p 4XMSAA
data2012-09-0116-32-4gjkxp.png

Dark Souls 1080p 4XMSAA + SMAA ULTRA
data2012-09-0116-32-55bj8b.png

Something is preventing it from detecting properly and it just blurs the whole image. kinda like FXAA :D

First time I have ever seen SMAA actually blur something. Usually it is very intelligent with its edge detection.

Interesting none the less. Probably won't use it then!

There are mentions in the .ini to allow for save file backupping.

As far as I could tell from the description, doesn't this allow people to cheat/reverse negative-progress? Like an obtuse way of having a quicksave feature in a game that does not support it.

Or is this just something to bypass GFWL's save game storage issues?

Durante

Are you using native res with SMAA? If you're downscaling that would explain why it fails to detect aliased edges.

As far as I could tell from the description, doesn't this allow people to cheat/reverse negative-progress? Like an obtuse way of having a quicksave feature in a game that does not support it.
Yes, that's why the smallest possible interval is 15 minutes. Sadly, I don't think it's possible to create something that will prevent save loss due to file corruption while not offering any possibility of abuse. And if people really want to cheat there are far more direct methods to accomplish that.

arit

Or is this just something to bypass GFWL's save game storage issues?

You could backup the save file manually from day 1 and reverse progress when copied back, so nothing new, just automated.

Ledsen

1. Your subwoofer doesn't support frequencies low enough. It's probably not a very big subwoofer. Most cheap subwoofers are actually mid-range woofers, and occupy the 60-250Hz spectrum or so, much of which is audible (which is why I tend to dislike a lot of subwoofers). Actual subwoofers operate at frequencies that are inaudible, around 20-80Hz. You need a really big driver for this, in the vacinity of 12-18 inches.

2. Yeah, you're probably best unselecting them. Full range means speakers that can support down to around 20Hz basically. What this will do is set a crossover frequency (don't know where...possibly around 200Hz) and send those low frequencies to your subwoofer instead.

3. It will affect your sound in other games. For better or for worse? Depends on the game and your preferences...I can't really say.

Thanks, had no idea that's how subwoofers were supposed to work.

Karak

Just started back up after a week away and only with the fix does my FPS lock at 15. It does it whenever am in front of a gray door. Anywhere else it never goes below 30.
GTX 690.
I don't think that is the Optomis think people are talking about is it? Its making playing almost impossible.

Tried every fix version and the last 4 drivers from Nvidia. All combos. They work fine but the moment I try the fix this happens.

Durante

What resolution are you running at? The fog doors eat a lot of fillrate, but on a GTX690 anything up to 2560x1440 at least should be rock solid.

Karak

What resolution are you running at? The fog doors eat a lot of fillrate, but on a GTX690 anything up to 2560x1440 at least should be rock solid.

1920 by 1080 without anything else. But I just uninstalled it. 101 deaths on the first demon on the walkway in the Undead Berg was enough for me. Its been 2 solid days of trying to get passed him. I love hard but the bad controls and weird movement just made it completely unfun sadly. I really should have checked on this before getting it. Last money I had for a bit:(

Done and done. I will try to keep upbeat and play something easy. Like Ninja Gaiden on expert hahahahaha:)

I do appreciate you doing what you did. Seriously big steps in the GFX man! Bravo to you!

1920 by 1080 without anything else. But I just uninstalled it. 101 deaths on the first demon on the walkway in the Undead Berg was enough for me. Its been 2 solid days of trying to get passed him. I love hard but the bad controls and weird movement just made it completely unfun sadly. I really should have checked on this before getting it. Last money I had for a bit:(

Done and done. I will try to keep upbeat and play something easy. Like Ninja Gaiden on expert hahahahaha:)

I do appreciate you doing what you did. Seriously big steps in the GFX man! Bravo to you!

That guy is really easy.
You know the plunging attack they teach you in the tutorial? Just use that and he goes down really quick. or summon two phantoms for some help

The game has some of the best controls i've seen in an action rpg, unless you're using a kb/m

Karak

That guy is really easy.
You know the plunging attack they teach you in the tutorial? Just use that and he goes down really quick. or summon two phantoms for some help

The game has some of the best controls i've seen in an action rpg, unless you're using a kb/m

Yep the exact thing I was trying. I won't argue with your opinion. Everyone is entitled to think what they wish. For me I think that Durante needs to work for a the devs:)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Don't worry, I had trouble with him too. I didn't kill the tutorial boss with that techique, so I totally forgot about it. Had to ask for help here in GAF, so you're just like me :p

Now I'm stuck in the section right after him, it's a terribly difficult game!

Top Bottom