• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

Why does Nintendo always do this? Make enough of your products ffs

Did Amazon US already sell them all out? I know it was today, just not sure what time

As an european...
WTF is a tecmo bowl ?

A magical game.

One of the best gridiron (I called it that for your sake) games ever made.

Video meth.

All of the above, really.

Did Amazon US already sell them all out? I know it was today, just not sure what time

Amazon US goes live at 2PM PST, so in about 33 minutes from now.

jwhit28

As an european...
WTF is a tecmo bowl ?

Tecmo is the company that made the game. Bowl is similar to a final cup match. It didn't have the NFL license but it had the NFL players license so it was the closest thing to Madden on NES at the time.

The later Namco-published version, and even the licensed Tengen cart has identical content. Do you just prefer the color/shape/label? lol

Ms. Pac-Man, however, is completely different between Tengen and Namco versions.

It is a total mystery to me why Namco always uses their inferior port rereleasing Ms. Pac.

I miss the PAC booster

Wait... I have to buy extension cords for the controllers if I want to play? Fuck this. Who's the retard behind that brilliant design choice?

AgeEighty

This is a new kind of device for Nintendo. They couldn't be sure if it would be a major hit; it could have flopped. Were they supposed to make millions more of them that would only end up in a landfill if they failed to sell?

If you're a company like Nintendo, you make a conservative guess at demand that's on the low end, you make that many, and then if the demand is high, you make more. Consumers may be disappointed in the short term, but the alternative if things go the other way would be far more financially ruinous for you.

Matticers

Cw__93AVQAAwQVc.jpg
CxAAjV1UsAA2Kx5.jpg

CxAAjtNVQAANR5I.jpg

That black/silver NES Classics shirt is awesome. Do they sell that online or only in the NY store?

Having never owned an NES before, Im happy with this release as a whole, but it's definitely gonna take some time for me to get used to the infamous "Nintendo Hard" levels of difficulty for these games. The games play very well and look crisp on all HDtv's Ive tried. I still wish the device also supported composite, and that the cords werent so laughably short, but those issues may be fixable with additional purchases.

Dr. Light

"Add to cart" kept not fucking working, now the page isn't even loading at all.

Even the main page isn't loading now. Christ.

AgeEighty

Holy shit.

I have never seen anything sell out that quickly on Amazon. I was refreshing every second and when it finally popped up, I didn't even manage to get one into my cart.

maxcriden

Controller is still here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JT77EDK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

NVM, LegendofLex and PAULINK and Minions clued me in, sorry all:

"We're sorry. The item Nintendo NES Controller - NES is no longer available from the seller you selected. To see if it's available from another seller, click here to return to the item's product detail page."

-

The rush on the classic reminds me of Amazon BF mega console deals and how those are instantly gone. I only saw the NES classic up through Dryvby's link for a split second.

Very sorry to those who were not able to get it. Hopefully restocks will happen soon.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
So, word of warning, My Madcatz TE S wii edition does not work properly with the nes mini, I am slightly sad :(

I guess this means we can't guarantee all wii accessories to work with this.

Tiktaalik

Hooked this up at lunch at work and played a few games. The emulation seemed perfect and controllers exactly as I remember. I'm impressed.

With the USB power and short controller cables it's perfect on the work desk. I'm not sure how I'm going to set this up at home. I'll probably just end up sitting on the floor.

Madness

What?

It has built-in games. It isn't large enough for a cartridge slot.

It has 30 built in games out of a library of almost 600+. I probably have 100+ NES games in storage. Just wondering if this could have played them. I mean I get it is a mini but I haven't really followed much and saw the game port design on front. Didn't know it was just for show. Oh well. Still a good deal to play a lot of these most popular games.

GrayFoxPL

It has 30 built in games out of a library of almost 600+. I probably have 100+ NES games in storage. Just wondering if this could have played them. I mean I get it is a mini but I haven't really followed much and saw the game port design on front. Didn't know it was just for show. Oh well. Still a good deal to play a lot of these most popular games.

It's not a NES it's a new hardware.

Think would have been cool to throw in the NES Remix challenges as a bonus.

Anyhow not sure if this or the other thread works, but went to Nintendo NY to pick it up and wanted to share some pics.

tumblr_oghvdqfu1G1qeosmfo1_540.jpg

The line which I was actually surprised by since they already had a midnight launch, but I guess word on it has spread quickly. Few folks behind me were on line because they heard it sold out across the city.

Cw__93AVQAAwQVc.jpg
CxAAjV1UsAA2Kx5.jpg

CxAAjtNVQAANR5I.jpg

An NES Classics shirt that I really wanted, but was 30 bucks and was picking up the classic... and this shirt won my heart...

CxACXKzUoAEZzVv.jpg

And this is the NES Exhibit/Display have set-up for the console's launch
CxAFRkhXcAAHhz_.jpg

CxAFSvVXcAQOV8-.jpg

CxAFTawXgAAUSSA.jpg

CxAFUCtXgAAUM4H.jpg

I wonder if this is gonna be another Wii situation where they would receive an inventory of 100 units daily. While every other retailer remained OoS for weeks.

I started playing Mega Man 2 and couldn't remember the optimal level order.

I was going to look it up, but then I remembered that I have a copy of the Mega Man 2 Worlds of Power book by F.X. Nine - '90s kids will remember those because they were novelizations of famous NES games (I have Ninja Gaiden, Shadowgate, Bases Loaded, and Metal Gear along with MM2).

I also remembered that the book has game tips at the ends of chapters, and one of the tips is that the order in which Mega Man beats the other robot masters in the book is the optimal way to do it in the game.

So I'm reading a chapter in the book and then beating the level for that chapter in the game. NOSTALGIA OVERLOAD.

Ah damn, my girlfriend just asked me the other day if she should get me one of these for Christmas and I said it'd be a good idea. I didn't realize I was dooming her to holiday shopping hell trying to get one.

I guess I'll have to get her something really nice to make up for it.

Top Bottom