• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's on their defective PS4 [Up: Sony - less than 0.4% of shipped units affected]

erawsd

Lol I'll let you Suckers beta test and pay more money. While I hoard PSN+ games, buy a PS4 next year when hopefully issues are resolved with hardware and software as well as more features from firmware updates. Once I buy a PS4 I'll have a backlog of PSN+ freebies to play and won't even have to buy games for a while. Once I am ready to buy games they will be dirt cheap. Love being LEAP and being a cheap ass.

Next year? Pfft.. I'm waiting 8 years then I'll get the special slim version with a 1TB SSD and pay half what you paid.

G_Berry

Banned
This sounds like hardware btw, not software. pressing lightly on the top of the console doesn't change the code it is running, it just compresses the hardware, maybe the heatsink is loose (rrod is similar here) or maybe there is a crack on the motherboard or a loose wire, but this isn't something you want to happen with a very very limited number of consoles

Could have something to do with the wobble issue?

Slight variation in outside case = slight variation in mother board = heatsink and bowing issues?

Whatever it is it's not good.

where are the reports of users NOT having any troubles with thier Taco Bell systems? Im sure they exist-and hearing/seeing impressions from them may take the worry out of some.

Atruvius

Glad I decided to wait buying PS4 till next year. Almost everyone I know who had fat PS3 had the YLOD after two years they bought the console, myself included. I don't trust first gen models.

I have a feeling tomorrow will EXPLODE with bad news for Sony on Twitter, FB, Vine etc.

If selected journos are facing breaking PS4s and the sample is like literally REALLY FUCKING SMALL like 200 consoles then imagine what will happen when 20 000 people get one.

Brace yourself Sony fans... a storm is coming.

And do not call to ban IGN, please.

Dizzy

Banned
Its far too early to be talking about widespread hardware issues. Give it a week or so and see how widespread it truly is. No console has ever been 100% reliable nationwide on launch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
thats what warranties are for. My saves will all be online, so if I have a problem I'll just swap it at my store or return it to Sony. Not the end of the world

The funny things is is that this stuff is probably normal (or better than) most console launches, it just resonates louder because of the internet and console warz

~~Hasan~~

..well 6 shouldnt be an issue :)
Not everyone who got a problem reported it here or some sites. Notice that even big sites have their machine dying on them. You would think that sony would at least make sure they are giving them a 100 % working console. But even them looks like not sure what is the problem as we speak. I really hope its a software issue.

I will have my system imported and wont cancel the order. But if i keep hearing reports about this i am going to sell it brand new here and save my self a near future heart attack.

KAL2006

Banned
Next year? Pfft.. I'm waiting 8 years then I'll get the special slim version with a 1TB SSD and pay half what you paid.

It depends how cheap you want to get I think the best balance is being a year or 2 late. I bought a PS3 2 years after launch, saved me so much money being behind games and now PSN+ starting to make me not buy games at all.

News Bot

Banned
So 10 consoles out of Taco Bell winners, not including systems given to game reviewers like IGN, may be broken on day 1?

Quite possibly.

My £400 graphics card was faulty right out of the box the first time around. This is a big reason why warranties exist.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I have a feeling tomorrow will EXPLODE with bad news for Sony on Twitter, FB, Vine etc.

If selected journos are facing breaking PS4s and the sample is like literally REALLY FUCKING SMALL like 200 consoles then imagine what will happen when 20 000 people get one.

I'm really scared now. I hope this is not gonna be another RROD-like catastrophe.

You don't think this is hysteria?

I don't understand why we can extrapolate say even 50 consoles as representative of a large population but we shouldn't be assuming that everyone else is fine.

This is 100% the impact of the (literal) twitch generation with access to social media to let everyone know everything they're doing at every second. Nothing we have seen is at all out of the ordinary at all. It sucks that some people are getting defective units but I just don't understand the mass panic.

BigDug13

why does it have to be made in china?? so $100 less of CQ per console?

Hey man. Foxconn pulled out all the stops. They made engineering students at one of the local colleges come assemble PS4's. You've just gotta hope you get one of the "hand assembled by a future engineer" version of the console.

Brohan

Glad I decided to wait buying PS4 till next year. Almost everyone I know who had fat PS3 had the YLOD after two years they bought the console, myself included. I don't trust first gen models.

My phat is still going strong after all these years... anyways i think launch phat failure rate was about 9%-10% which is too high but then again launch 360 supposedly had a failure rate of 45% or so.

I hope this isn't going to be more than 3% failure rate... ''off the shelf parts'' right?

badb0y

The sample size is way too small to start worrying about a potential RROD situation. We will have a better picture of how bad it i on Friday. It there are like 5 defective units per 100 that would great but if it's like 5 defective units per 20 sold that would be terrible.

Piggus

If there is a problem, it would be much better for it to happen now than down the road so they can get it sorted early. The PS2 disk drive problem and the 360 RROD/PS3 YLOD were issues that showed up over time and by then there were many millions of systems on the market.

red731

PS4book stand for added pressure? Heh. I may or may not postpone me buying this until January.

Who am I kidding tho
KuGsj.gif

Pop

Why? Consoles will break and social media will make it sound a lot worse then it actually is. Over 4k consoles were giving out by Taco Bell, plus whoever else got theres.

Not everyone who got it reported it here or some sites. Notice that even big sites have their machine dying on them. You would think that sony would at least make sure they are giving them a 100 % working console. But even them looks like not sure what is the problem as we speak. I really hope its a software issue.

I will have my system imported and wont cancel the order. But if i keep hearing reports about this i am going to sell it brand new here and save my self a near future heart attack.

Mass made electronics (especially one as complex as this) CANNOT have a 0% failure rate! It's just impossible with the manufacturing style that is used, there has to be some tolerance for failure.

meck01

Neo Member
I'm not that surprised that a new console (whichever brand) has issues.

The ps 1/2/3 all did at launch, as did xbox 1 and the 360.

This is why I don't purchase the launch consoles - I always wait 6-12 months and then purchase.

I sympathise with anyone who gets a console with this issue - I hope it's not widespread.

z0m3le

Banned
Failure rate is def at least 2-3% on electronics probably higher just based on a retail environment I see tons of just straight out of the box and doesn't work for everything.

most of these worked for a while though, the ticking time bomb thing is scary, bring home a new game that might break your system, or worry about an update doing the same.
-Source: Xbox 360 owner, with 1 broken and 1 working system at home, second is a slim.

IIRC 5-6?

Out of an assumed what...~4000+ from the Taco Bell contest, the several hundred given away at the PS4 review event this week and probably other people just managing by blind luck to get their consoles. Not to mention media outlets (two of which that are known to have received faulty units; IGN and Kotaku) and journalists of the like.

This is 100% the impact of the (literal) twitch generation with access to social media to let everyone know everything they're doing at every second. Nothing we have seen is at all out of the ordinary at all. It sucks that some people are getting defective units but I just don't understand the mass panic.

And that is the problem. In the past stuff like this would explode way later, when the critical mass was reached in IGN Forums or here etc.

With Twitter, TwitchTV, FB etc. you are going to get many angry and INSTANT posts talking about the issue.

In other words: social media will overblow the issue (be it real or not).

KHlover

Banned
While he could have worded it better I'll agree with the core of his message. Atm not too many PS4 games that interest me are out. I know the situation will be better in 2014. SHOULD this turn out to be a bigger problem (which I don't think) I wouldn't have the hassle to deal with returning the system. I don't expect a price drop by 2014, tho.
Waiting is just the better option for me.

kurbaan

Banned
Can't wait for all hell to break loose on the 15th and 22nd when the internet is flooded with error reports.

I feel that any hardware defects this cycle for either system will probably be MUCH smaller in number than any previous generation, yet it will seem like the biggest and most wide spread issue just due to twitter, fb etc.

Like today in that guys Twitch stream and ign they were going in circles, IGN was refering to the guy in the stream as an example of people having problems, then the guy in the stream was like "IM NOT THE ONLY ONE, see IGN is reporting people having the same issues"

BigDug13

You people are crazy. I bet if Microsoft and Sony gave away 2000 360's and 2000 PS3's right now, we would get reports of a few of those consoles being faulty.

This shit is only news because of the media circus to report anything and everything about these consoles as they launch. It's not at all a high failure rate (so far)

G_Berry

Banned
Mass electronics (especially one as complex as this) CANNOT have a 0% failure rate! It's just impossible with the manufacturing style that is used, there has to be some tolerance for failure.
So the fact that such a small amount out in the wild already have issues is very troubling.

Imagine when there are 100s of thousands!

Top Bottom