• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's on their defective PS4 [Up: Sony - less than 0.4% of shipped units affected]

Why? Consoles will break and social media will make it sound a lot worse then it actually is. Over 4k consoles were giving out by Taco Bell, plus whoever else got theres.

I am actually agreeing with you, see my above post.

Sony fans (or Xbox fans) are not ready for the mass attack of bad news pouring from Twitter/ FB when bad shit happens.

When RROD happened there was no Twitter IIRC. No Ustream.

z0m3le

Banned
Could have something to do with the wobble issue?

Slight variation in outside case = slight variation in mother board = heatsink and bowing issues?

Whatever it is it's not good.

The bowing issue is part of what caused the RROD at least the majority of them, though it was because the heat got too hot in them and the motherboard would bend, allowing the cross metal clips to lessen tension and cause the heatsink to raise up enough that the chips got too hot.

creyas

Lol I'll let you Suckers beta test and pay more money. While I hoard PSN+ games, buy a PS4 next year when hopefully issues are resolved with hardware and software as well as more features from firmware updates. Once I buy a PS4 I'll have a backlog of PSN+ freebies to play and won't even have to buy games for a while. Once I am ready to buy games they will be dirt cheap. Love being LEAP and being a cheap ass.

Reading this with the Amir0x voice in my head.

My phat is still going strong after all these years... anyways i think launch phat failure rate was about 9%-10% which is too high but then again launch 360 supposedly had a failure rate of 45% or so.

I hope this isn't going to be more than 3% failure rate... ''off the shelf parts'' right?

What timeframe is failure rate calculated for?

I reckon over 50% of launch phat ps3's are dead

SpartanN92

Banned
So based on how bad MS has been fucking up compared to Sony this year I bet that when you power on your Xbone a message flashes on screen that says "Fuck you"-M$ and it is in fact a cleverly disguised hand grenade that detonates.

Makes the PS4 problems seem like nothing.

Seriously though...This sucks. Hope both my PS4 and Xbone work.

Seems to be a patchable software problem then, and not a problem with the HDMI hardware.

It didn't work. Console is bricked again.

Honestly, it's hard to figure out what the real problem was from that guy's video since he is a complete idiot.

big_z

since my games haven't shipped I wont unbox the ps4 and keep an eye out for other complaints. I wonder if heat is warping the board and causing problems similar to rrod.

also got an xbone preordered so if this turns into a wide spread issue i'll keep the xbox and maybe look into the ps4 later next year.

BigDug13

So the fact that such a small amount out in the wild already have issues is very troubling.

Imagine when there are 100s of thousands!

We have over 4000 consoles in the wild and we have a few reports. 10 reports of failure would be .5% failure rate.

But please, let's keep panicking.

Yes, when there are 100's of thousands, you will have thousands of failed consoles.

2 million consoles sold, 0.5% factory failure rate. That becomes 10,000 failed consoles. This shit is already factored in when designing the console and accounting for amount spent. It's why warranties are there.

genbatzu

Lol I'll let you Suckers beta test and pay more money. While I hoard PSN+ games, buy a PS4 next year when hopefully issues are resolved with hardware and software as well as more features from firmware updates. Once I buy a PS4 I'll have a backlog of PSN+ freebies to play and won't even have to buy games for a while. Once I am ready to buy games they will be dirt cheap. Love being LEAP and being a cheap ass.

too bad you
probably
can't hoard PS4 PS+ games without a ps4 console ^^

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013...esogun-guacamelee-grid-2-more/#comment-442313

This is 100% the impact of the (literal) twitch generation with access to social media to let everyone know everything they're doing at every second. Nothing we have seen is at all out of the ordinary at all. It sucks that some people are getting defective units but I just don't understand the mass panic.
This wins the thread.

Brohan

What timeframe is failure rate calculated for?

I reckon over 50% of launch phat ps3's are dead

That is a pretty good question actually, and to be honest i have no idea.

Give electronics enough time and they will essentially have a 100% failure rate...

Thank god for living in the EU with a 2-year warranty as standard. I really hope the problem isn't as serious as it seems though, I hate sending in faulty products.

G_Berry

Banned
The bowing issue is part of what caused the RROD at least the majority of them, though it was because the heat got too hot in them and the motherboard would bend, allowing the cross metal clips to lessen tension and cause the heatsink to raise up enough that the chips got too hot.
You're correct. I suffered the rrod many times :(

Now if the ps4 case has a fault ie the wobble, the motherboard may also be effected.

The motherboard screws into the case, any case variation may impact the shape and structure of the board causing issues.

Jezbollah

This thread is one of the reasons I'm thankful there's a two week gap between the US launch and UK launch.

(Sorry guys - hope this gets sorted out extremely quickly).

Certainly not good that IGN's blew up but I was on the front lines during the 360 massacre. I know to wait, I know not to panic, and I know I can get my shit replaced for free.

If Sony have more serious issues than Microsoft, then that would be a big turnaround. But right now we don't know shit about the Xbox One's reliability.

Finest

Neo Member
I have a feeling tomorrow will EXPLODE with bad news for Sony on Twitter, FB, Vine etc.

If selected journos are facing breaking PS4s and the sample is like literally REALLY FUCKING SMALL like 200 consoles then imagine what will happen when 20 000 people get one.

Brace yourself Sony fans... a storm is coming.

And do not call to ban IGN, please.
Little to over dramatic huh? Every hardware launch has defective units.. Omg I guess I can predict the future cause I bet some xbones aren't going to work....

I said this in another thread, but our local EB's lastest a day. I said it was cruel that they put it next to the Wii U stand, but then joked it might help the Wii U.

Too many anecdotes of failure, including one witnessed, for me. Glad I'm not getting one at launch is all I can say.

gruenel

Now if the ps4 case has a fault ie the wobble, the motherboard may also be effected.

The motherboard screws into the case, any case variation may impact the shape and structure of the board causing issues.

The PS4 case isn't faulty. The "wobbling" comes from the rubber foot placement.

Fighting windmills at this point

It didn't work. Console is bricked again.

Honestly, it's hard to figure out what the real problem was from that guy's video since he is a complete idiot.

This.. He quite clearly couldn't listen to clear instructions on things to try.. I'm surprised he managed to get skype running on his computer... nevermind reformatting his ps4 hdd and trying that option..

The wobble isn't a fault...

I hope this doesn't become a common occurrence on a scale of the RROD. That's the last thing Sony needs right now.

Maybe having to wait an extra two weeks here in the UK isn't such a bad thing after all.

Fruitster

Hmm, a little concerning. I'll watch and see if this type of thing becomes a common issue once PS4 hits the US tomorrow. If it is a big problem, i'll certainly hold off on my PS4 until next year.

Brohan

Lmao, i honestly doubt that the ''wobble'' would cause any problems other than drive people with OCD mad. It simply doesnt wobble if you don't press on the glossy side.

Zakalwe

Banned
so judging from what we've heard, what is causing this defect? the 1.50 software update or the hardware?

As explained in the quoted section.

It happened after the update, but pressing down on the console caused a flicker of life which suggests it may be a hardware issue.

All speculation right now, not enough data to know.

derFeef

Dad news travels faster these days, even if it's limited cases.
Those consoles will have issues, like every electronics product. We will hear about them as soon as people get their hands on it in this day and age.

z0m3le

Banned
You don't think this is hysteria?

I don't understand why we can extrapolate say even 50 consoles as representative of a large population but we shouldn't be assuming that everyone else is fine.

This is 100% the impact of the (literal) twitch generation with access to social media to let everyone know everything they're doing at every second. Nothing we have seen is at all out of the ordinary at all. It sucks that some people are getting defective units but I just don't understand the mass panic.

If these consoles were coming DOA, that would be one thing, but after RROD, I don't think gamers are ready to hear about PS4s bricking before launch. The scary thing here is the ticking time bomb, I wouldn't worry if the PS4s break out of the box, that is what warranties are for, but when you sit on a 12 month warranty and your faulty PS4 that has worked fairly well for that year all of a sudden breaks because of a possible design issue, that is what is scary.

Also we don't know how many broken PS4s there are, we've heard about over a half dozen, but considering that some of these are going to break down in days, weeks, or months; the fact that they are breaking before launch is more worrying.

rSpooky

Defects suck , plain and simple especially when you just got your new shiny toy,whatever that toy is.

When 360 came out the 5 of us (at work)got one and one of them was broken withint he day , there were other rapports of broken 360's as well, did that mean 1 out of 5 was broken? Off course not. Let's hope there wont be to many people with a defective ps4 (or xbox1 in a week)

G_Berry

Banned
We have over 4000 consoles in the wild and we have a few reports. 10 reports of failure would be .5% failure rate.

But please, let's keep panicking.

Yes, when there are 100's of thousands, you will have thousands of failed consoles.

2 million consoles sold, 0.5% factory failure rate. That becomes 10,000 failed consoles. This shit is already factored in when designing the console and accounting for amount spent. It's why warranties are there.

Cool man. I'll come directly to you after I fork out $550AUD for a PS4 after it shits itself because, you know, 0.5% and all that.

Top Bottom