• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's on their defective PS4 [Up: Sony - less than 0.4% of shipped units affected]

Acheteedo

Hmm, with such a short amount time that these things have been in people's hands, the amount of defective reports seems unusually high. I guess we'll see over the weekend, could be a rough ride once millions of these things are out. Already seeing the same kind of downplaying on here that we saw with the RROD.

G_Berry

Banned
this thread need more Banderas.

t3MHnEY.gif
Perfect.

Wait. Needs the gift of the PS4 being turned on > Banderas > Banderas > PS4 glitching out.

gossi

There are 6-7 defective units so far but that's just among the early users who have a vocal online presence. There could very well be more out there who simply contacted Sony support instead of posting on reddit or making a youtube video.

I suspect a lot of people have no idea HOW to make a YouTube video.

This is worrying, and that's a high number of defective hardware in just 2 days.

I'm still buying it, but thank god for the warranty. Shocking though.

skc

Banned
Social media amplifies these sorts of problems (for any console)

I fully expect a ton of people to lose their shit this weekend.

News Bot

Banned
I'd expect a pretty high failure rate on GPU's for the Xbox One and PS4, ATI(AMD) have always had high failure rates on GPU's, I used to build PC's and probably 1 in 5 brand new ATI Graphics Cards would be DOA.

AMD-equipped laptops also have a pretty high GPU failure rate, speaking from experience. Nvidia-equipped ones fail too, but AMD definitely takes the lead.

Oh god, this doesn't look too good.

Seven reported defective units in 4000+ units in the wild. That's a 0.00175 ratio, aka 0.175%. At that rate only just under two in a thousand will fail.

Even if things magnify 10-fold, we will have a failure rate of 1.75%, which is WELL within the industry norm for high-end electronics.

I think it's a bit too soon for everyone to get their pantyhose in a bunch over this.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This has been worrying, but given the presence the internet has now it's hard to tell if this is really being blown up or just standard stuff so far. You hate to see it happen anyway, but it's unavoidable.

Nice work on the thread, though. The other thread became a hilarious mess from that stream.

Qassim

Queue GAF thinking that a 0.001% defect rate is somehow a clusterfuck.

Welcome to technology. As long as it's not RROD/YLOD/PlayStation 1 and 2 laser levels, there's not really an issue.

No other consumer technology I buy is as consistently unreliable as games consoles.

gogogow

Lmao, software related, patch should fix that up.

How can people fix it with a patch when the PS4 isn't working properly anymore? If it's indeed SW related and we still can't say it's truly is SW related, maybe Sony can have a updated day one patch for EU. If it's HW related, well, that's gonna be a bigger problem, but I hope it's just your typical HW launch with x% failure rate.

Frodo

People doing the maths should also consider that maybe not every owner of a faulty PS4 would necessarily go online to complain about it.

So it is pretty much useless to calculate the failure rate when, for starters, we don't even now exactly how many PS4 are in the wild.

Gbraga

Seven reported defective units in 4000+ units in the wild. That's a 0.00175 ratio, aka 0.175%. At that rate only just under two in a thousand will fail.

Even if things magnify 10-fold, we will have a failure rate of 1.75%, which is WELL within the industry norm for high-end electronics.

I think it's a bit too soon for everyone to get their pantyhose in a bunch over this.

Sure, but how long did it take for launch PS3 to start with the YLOD? I remember that at first a lot of people were downplaying that too, and now it's pretty much the norm that a launch PS3 will die sooner or later.

I hope it's just me overreacting, but I do think 7 before the console even comes out kinda is a lot.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
In the grand scheme of things it would have to 1000's for this to actually be considered a problem

There is a lot out there. This isn't a blip considering how many units were sent out.

Again, social media and the internet era of 2013 makes issues stand out. Back when PS3/360 came out it wasn't like this.

SRTtoZ

This.

meanspartan

Good news is this issue seems to pop up quick, if yours is on death row you will know pretty soon it seems. Unless I'm wrong. How long did ign and kotaku play theirs for?

In any case better hour 3 than year 3.

Applecot

I'd expect a pretty high failure rate on GPU's for the Xbox One and PS4, ATI(AMD) have always had high failure rates on GPU's, I used to build PC's and probably 1 in 5 brand new ATI Graphics Cards would be DOA.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal, I've personally never had an ATI fail on me but probably similar fail rates on GeForce cards.

There are bound to be issues, but until we understand why and the extent of the issues; everything we hear is just the very loud cry of a minority of people.

Awntawn

I wouldn't be too concerned with failure rates just yet for either console. Gotta remember the day and age we're living in. With social media the way it is now, we're going to hear about a lot more of the failures than in previous gens; doesn't mean that there are any more than there were before.

Could actually be really bad, but let's not jump the gun just yet.

Dre3001

I think one thing to take into consideration is how big social media is now.

Back in 2006/2007 social media was nowhere near as big as it was now.

When 360, Ps3, Wii, etc were launching im sure there were tons of faulty consoles in that period too but it wasnt heard everywhere like it is now due to Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

It could very well be that the defective rate is around 2-3% but due to how big social media is, that small percentage can be very vocal about the issues.

Sure, but how long did it take for launch PS3 to start with the YLOD? I remember that at first a lot of people were downplaying that too, and now it's pretty much the norm that a launch PS3 will die sooner or later.

I hope it's just me overreacting, but I do think 7 before the console even comes out kinda is a lot.

there are thousands of PS4s out there so 7 is a very low number.

kyser73

^^^This^^^

Not that anyone will be interested in keeping a level head about this.

Top Bottom