• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's on their defective PS4 [Up: Sony - less than 0.4% of shipped units affected]

The first console launch in the age of Twitter, it's tough out there. That said, we also don't know how many of the 4000+ console given out through Taco Bell have failed and the owners just called Sony instead of creating a thread on GAF or some other forum.

I admit, part of me is feeling a bit uneasy and I'm glad that I'm not getting one of these at launch

Just a question.. is DC online at the minute a ps4 game? I mean is it up on the store for people with a ps4 to actually play or does it go live tomorrow..

When that guy on twitch downloaded it, it came up that he was downloading it twice.. then he was in the ps store and the console turned off..

Social media amplifies these sorts of problems (for any console)

I fully expect a ton of people to lose their shit this weekend.

I'm not gonna play this down or build it up, let's see how it goes...

...but I think it would have been very interesting on the 360's launch if Social media had been where it is now. I mean MS played down the 360's faultiness for a good few years and refused to comment on the the actual percentage of faulty systems, can you imagine if twitter had been around then? There's no way they could have kept a lid on that shit storm.

hornetpie

Neo Member
im not saying it is or even close to it but it would be truly tragic (within reason) if sony ends up with a rrod with ps4 over the long term

they've done so much so right this time

cebri.one

Look guys, already thousands of PS4 have been handle out to developers, if there was an abnormal failure rate they would know it by now. And they also have their own quality controls. Don't panic. Even if there is 50.000 guys complaining over twitter, it would still be 50.000 over 1 million.

Thank you for testing, North America.

Love, Europe!

It's not like Sony will be able to fix the problem in the first batch anyway...if it's widespread, which I'm not sure it will be.

EU batch would still be screwed and millions who don't visit gaming sites, etc would be none the wiser that they were buying a potentially borked console.

Saying that, I really doubt this will be widespread...

News Bot

Banned
No other consumer technology I buy is as consistently unreliable as games consoles.

Laptops are the most common machine I've had to repair, personally.

I also once had about 14 PlayStation 2's in my attic. Wish I still had that photo.

GPU's in particular are pretty iffy, whether it be cards or chips. There will be plenty of PS4's with borked HDD's too, I expect.

hornetpie

Neo Member
Look guys, already thousands of PS4 have been handle out to developer, if there was an abnormal failure rate they would know it by now. And they also have their own quality controls. Don't panic. Even if there is 50.000 guys complaining over twitter, it would still be 50.000 over 1 million.

no. wrong

developers use TEST units which are not retail units.

and they are under NDA. they could not tell people other than sony about failures

AGAIN

im not saying ps4 is stuffed, but developers cant tell you that stuff

hornetpie

Neo Member
The first firmware update caused some people's Wii Us to brick.

if they lost power during the download, yes

because nintendo is moronic and doesnt do the download first into an area, it live flashes the firmware during download. but ive noticed they recently stopped that

Zakalwe

Banned
People report the negative much more than the positive.

This is partly because the positive outweighs the negative by a large margin, and positive events are too commonplace to be event worthy.

Example: my train has been late/cancelled five times this month, which makes me vent to my girlfriend about the abysmal service. However, I ddin't feel the need to talk to her about the many more times the service has run smoothly.

So even if we get a flood of "console bricked" posts here, it would still be no real indication of the overall figures.

Tycho_b

Same here. A failure would be a real problem for me.

It looks like PSX - cheap, affordable (sort of) prone to failures. But 7/4000 is still quite low rate, much lower than PSXs. This is also different era - when PSX launched all I could tell about my broken console were few colleagues from college. Now You can reach the whole world using social media.

Quality comes at price, I'm afraid. And I would not recommend importing one from the first batches - they should fix it fairly quickly, in few months time new revisions will appear.
One must understand, this hardware comes from multiple manufacturing facilities, and ramping up production to ,millions a year takes some time - it's true in most industries, even car manufacturing.

Of all my Playstations, I had one broken down each generation (PSX, PS2, PS3)

I will buy it anyway, but it is never nice experience have your new hardware broken early.
I will think about extending my warranty - there are options to do even 5-year for something like 20% extra.

cebri.one

no. wrong

developers use TEST units which are not retail units.

and they are under NDA. they could not tell people other than sony about failures

AGAIN

im not saying ps4 is stuffed, but developers cant tell you that stuff

Test units are pretty much retail units. I'm not talking about early devkits. And I'm sure if they have a faulty PS4 they will contact Sony for replacement. Again, if there were an abnormal failure rate, Sony would know by now.

hornetpie

Neo Member
Test units are pretty much retail units. I'm not talking about early devkits. And I'm sure if they have a faulty PS4 they will contact Sony for replacement. Again, if there were an abnormal failure rate, Sony would know by now.

not to sure about ps4 but they generally have double the ram to handle the extra shit devs want to run in debug mode so well yeah ok in terms of hdmi maybe i guess

People report the negative much more than the positive.

This is partly because the positive outweighs the negative by a large margin, and positive events are too commonplace to be event worthy.

Example: my train has been late/cancelled five times this month, which makes me vent to my girlfriend about the abysmal service. However, I ddin't feel the need to talk to her about the many more times the service has run smoothly.

So even if we get a flood of "console bricked" posts here, it would still be no real indication of the overall figures.

Wow. Sudden case of déjà vu. It's like I'm back in 2006 again with these types of posts.

Probably not a good idea to start damage control until we have a much clearer picture of the issue...next week should either clear this up or see it explode.

Unless IGN won some of the Taco Bell units, this clearly affects more than the 4000 handed out for that contest.

The units IGN got were retail units, so they're practically no different from the Taco Bell ones.

So it's

4,000 (TB) + X,00 ( Media Units ) + X,00 ( In-Store Units ) = 4,XXX PS4s in the wild.

Every new console eI've ever bought has always had a problem at launch. My N64 wouldn't read games, Gamecube wouldn't start, Wii would get stuck on a black screen etc.

This shouldn't be anything to worry about, just teething problems.

The first console launch in the age of Twitter, it's tough out there. That said, we also don't know how many of the 4000+ console given out through Taco Bell have failed and the owners just called Sony instead of creating a thread on GAF or some other forum.

I admit, part of me is feeling a bit uneasy and I'm glad that I'm not getting one of these at launch
This isn't the first console launch in the age of Twitter. I know the Wii U isn't on fire but it did launch 'in the age of Twitter'.

People doing the maths should also consider that maybe not every owner of a faulty PS4 would necessarily go online to complain about it.

So it is pretty much useless to calculate the failure rate when, for starters, we don't even now exactly how many PS4 are in the wild.

7 that we know of. There might be loads more unreported.

Except not everybody that has a problem will report it here or on Reddit or on twitter. So either way claiming 0.2% or 20% failure rate is absurd. We don't know.

Which is why I stated that even if that number increases 10-fold we're still at only 1.75%, and if it increases 20-fold then we'd be at 3.5% which is about industry norm.

If it increases fifty to 100-fold then we have a problem Houston, but until then let's not call off the countdown.

skc

Banned
So 7 have failed potentially out of 4000.

0.2% Error rate.

Nothing to panic over yet

Except not everybody that has a problem will report it here or on Reddit or on twitter. So either way claiming 0.2% or 20% failure rate is absurd. We don't know.

cebri.one

Wow. Sudden case of déjà vu. It's like I'm back in 2006 again with these types of posts.

Probably not a good idea to start damage control until we have a much clearer picture of the issue...next week should either clear this up or see it explode.

It will explode even if they have a 1% failure rate. That's 10.000 or more kids on twitter complaining the first day.

Zakalwe

Banned

I'm really not sure what your reply has to do with my post.

cebri.one

not to sure about ps4 but they generally have double the ram to handle the extra shit devs want to run in debug mode so well yeah ok in terms of hdmi maybe i guess

But again, Sony has it own quality controls. Do you think they don't test x units per batch of consoles? Come on, they are a hardware manufacture.

If there were 1001 consoles and one console broke. It's going to suck for that one person. Hopefully everyone (even if the sample size is small as it looks/is the norm) gets their issues resolved.

Which is why I stated that even if that number increases 10-fold we're still at only 1.75%, and if it increases 20-fold then we'd be at 3.5% which is about industry norm.

If it increases fifty to 100-fold then we have a problem Houston, but until then let's not call off the countdown.

Who told you 3.5% failure rate in one week is industry norm?

People keep pumping out these numbers as if they are facts.

So 7 have failed potentially out of 4000.

0.2% Error rate.

Nothing to panic over yet
Are people here really setting a failure rate based on the known cases posted to Twitter/forums? That's utterly pointless and proves nothing. Not saying there is a large scale issue but we don't have anywhere near the level of information wed need to determine the failure rate accurately.

Top Bottom