• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's on their defective PS4 [Up: Sony - less than 0.4% of shipped units affected]

Nyx

Lol I'll let you Suckers beta test and pay more money. While I hoard PSN+ games, buy a PS4 next year when hopefully issues are resolved with hardware and software as well as more features from firmware updates. Once I buy a PS4 I'll have a backlog of PSN+ freebies to play and won't even have to buy games for a while. Once I am ready to buy games they will be dirt cheap. Love being LEAP and being a cheap ass.

Good for you man!

keit4

Banned
I want to say thanks to the early adopters that are beta testing the console for me and my fellow Europeans.

Hopefully this isn't a widespread problem.

Lol I'll let you Suckers beta test and pay more money. While I hoard PSN+ games, buy a PS4 next year when hopefully issues are resolved with hardware and software as well as more features from firmware updates. Once I buy a PS4 I'll have a backlog of PSN+ freebies to play and won't even have to buy games for a while. Once I am ready to buy games they will be dirt cheap. Love being LEAP and being a cheap ass.

It comes with a one year warranty. We don't have to pay extra money. I will still be getting my console at launch despite this potential issue.

Thanks for sharing.

kurbaan

Banned
There's no way to know for sure whether or not the 1.50 update had anything to do with the bricked console but it's something that should be considered. Albeit, putting pressure on the top of the console seemed to have an effect, which almost makes me think it was a hardware issue.

Anyways, just a little more info as we head into launch.

It definitely has nothing to do with the 1.50 update. I can say this for sure because i spent over 6 hours of this day watching an inept individual fumble around bricking and unbricking his PS4. This guy in particular messed corrupted his hard drive it seems he also did not have the 1.5 update.

The user in the IGN article did not update to 1.50 since it seemed to be some hardware issue and it was DOA.

I am not sure why IGN is writing as if that guy is not getting his PS4 replaced since it says it is being replaced under the warranty.

synce

If you buy a console at launch these days you should just expect this, unless it's Nintendo. But the tradeoff there is underpowered hardware

Zakalwe

Banned
Why? Because a handful are defective?

Because there are inevitable issues with hardware/software.
Because the game library isn't strong enough yet.
Because there isn't enough information to show how each console is going to perform.

And we don't know the extent of the issue yet, can't say "handful" until the launch proper.

Pop

The consoles not out yet, the fact that multiple people who got it early as well as multiple game sites are saying their review models are being faulty doesn't bode well.

4 consoles

out of how many...

C'mon this isn't a major problem yet, only on GAF it would be.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Tomorrow should be interesting as we get to see tons more people pick up a system. Hopefully these cases are isolated and only seem bigger because of the huge presence of social media. I'd like to hope that Sony adequate QA tested their console.

Thoraxes

And while you hoard, I will be playing.

z0m3le

Banned
This sounds like hardware btw, not software. pressing lightly on the top of the console doesn't change the code it is running, it just compresses the hardware, maybe the heatsink is loose (rrod is similar here) or maybe there is a crack on the motherboard or a loose wire, but this isn't something you want to happen with a very very limited number of consoles

How many broken PS4's is this? I mean the console hasn't launched yet and we are talking about multiple ones, just be careful and register your product and keep that warranty safe, I don't know the percentages but considering the above, I would expect it to be higher than average...

My plan is to wait a year, but I might wait for a redesign if failure is high, my 360 died 4 years ago and I'm not looking forward to that again.

I think there are about 7-8 reported defective units.

Yea but he fixed his.

IGN should try taking the HDD out, start it up - let it go into safe mode, then power it down, put HDD back in, power it up again.

It did not remain fixed.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
No wonder I'm waiting until Metal Gear Solid V.

Nyx

Because there are inevitable issues with hardware/software.
Because the game library isn't strong enough yet.
Because there isn't enough information to show how each console is goign to perform.

And we don't know the extent of the issue yet, can't say "handful" until the launch proper.

No, you said 'this' was why you should wait, not the other reasons.

And you are right about not knowing the extent of the issue yet, so why post that you should wait ?

BigDug13

For LED/LCD TVs it's 100% failure. All of them have clouding and banding and look utterly shit.

But for everything else I think it's around 2-3%.

So since they sent out 4000 consoles with Taco Bell, standard electronics failure rate should put that at 80-120 broken units?

TheOddOne

@NeoGAF's Worst Posts

Can't find the link, but you have to own a PS4 to get free PS4 games from PSN+

Razma1

Failure rate is def at least 2-3% on electronics probably higher just based on a retail environment I see tons of just straight out of the box and doesn't work for everything.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

And you are right about not knowing the extent of the issue yet, so why post that you should wait ?

Hey stop right there crimnal scum.

If people didn't buy launch, there would be no console to wait for

You're welcome

Signed
-Launch Buyers
Twitch guy fixed it, no?

Fixed
Broke
Fixed
Broke
Fixed
Broke
Fixed
Broke
Fixed
Broke
Fixed
Broke
Fixed
Broke
Fixed
Broke
Fixed
Broke

News Bot

Banned
The consoles not out yet, the fact that multiple people who got it early as well as multiple game sites are saying their review models are being faulty doesn't bode well.

Happens for most machines and "multiple" being less than a handful doesn't say much of anything.

Some have also been faulty only after updates, so there's more to it than simple hardware failure.

Zakalwe

Banned

Yep, this is the main reason. The others are additional reasons.

It's wise to wait to see if it's a widspread issue. It's not going to harm you if you don't have the new console for the first month, and it's much better (imo) than the frustrations of dealing with a bricked machine.

For LED/LCD TVs it's 100% failure. All of them have clouding and banding and look utterly shit.

But for everything else I think it's around 2-3%. But then it depends what period we're talking about - I mean over 100 years? Probably 99%.
I seriously doubt it's 2-3%, I would suspect closer to 0.5% at a worst case.

Top Bottom