• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX Tricky DLC hinted for SSX 2012

btkadams

So whats the story gonna be like? "Yeah after doing our own thing we really wanted to get on the tour again."

Just kidding, no one cares about the story.

the whole story in ssx (2012) was that the ssx competition had faded away and lost sponsors. the deadly descents were done to gain the global audience and sponsors again (by defeating griff and showing the ssx team is where it's at).

it makes perfect sense that the next stage in the story would be the new ssx tournament. i feel like a new ssx tournament/mountain could be too big for an expansion though, and worthy of its own game. sooo, maybe the dlc will just be tracks with no story at all.

JaseMath

the whole story in ssx (2012) was that the ssx competition had faded away and lost sponsors. the deadly descents were done to gain the global audience and sponsors again (by defeating griff and showing the ssx team is where it's at).

it makes perfect sense that the next stage in the story would be the new ssx tournament. i feel like a new ssx tournament/mountain could be too big for an expansion though, and worthy of its own game. sooo, maybe the dlc will just be tracks with no story at all.
You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you really think the DLC is going to be a completely new, Tricky-inspired tour to play through.

More likely is a track or two and some outfits.

According to the SSX Twitter we'll find out the details tomorrow. I'm hoping for a new SSX Tricky style mountain with a handfull of tracks plus old costumes. I guess we'll know soon!

soultron

Banned
According to the SSX Twitter we'll find out the details tomorrow. I'm hoping for a new SSX Tricky style mountain with a handfull of tracks plus old costumes. I guess we'll know soon!

I'm hoping for a trailer. I'm usually super picky about marketing, but I've really liked the trailers (especially the ones at the tail end, just before release) associated with this game. If the trailer matches the tone of the visuals we're seeing, it'll probably be fun to watch. :p

I'm a video editor in my spare time and this week will have been a treat if we can get an SSX trailer in addition to the fantastic Max Payne Design & Tech video that already dropped this week.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you really think the DLC is going to be a completely new, Tricky-inspired tour to play through.

More likely is a track or two and some outfits.

I'm hoping for a Tricky Mountain with like 4 tracks of pure bliss, and 1 or 2 bonus (aka better) outfits for most characters.

Oh, and hopefully fireworks added throughout the game. They said they wanted to be Burnout on snow, so go the Criterion route and change up the whole game.

soultron

Banned
I'm hoping for a Tricky Mountain with like 4 tracks of pure bliss, and 1 or 2 bonus (aka better) outfits for most characters.

Oh, and hopefully fireworks added throughout the game. They said they wanted to be Burnout on snow, so go the Criterion route and change up the whole game.

That'd be a wicked reason to revisit tracks.

That's what I'm personally hoping for. Throw in some fireworks, more colored projections on the snow, maybe some small Tricky-style man-made structures here and there. At least on solid gimmickless tracks like Bulldog and Serenity.

Probably just wishful thinking but it'd be nice.

That would be a pretty cool idea. Maybe there would be an options menu where you could turn the "Tricky" effect on and off for the tracks that are already in the game. You would think that would be easy to do.

Didn't team SSX drop of the tour (at least Mac) because of it shifting focus from snowboarding to superfluous stuff? Thats what I got from the half-assed motion comics anyway.

BPK

I think I've put my finger on my problem with this game: it doesn't control at all like any previous SSX games. I don't know if this is what's called "oversteer," but I can never get my character to go exactly where I want. This is in stark contrast to SSX3 where I could exactly where I wanted, when I wanted, how I wanted. I think the control issue is at the heart of my dislike for this game. That gate on JT2 is a good example. It's a struggle just to go through it cleanly. In the previous SSX games it would have been a cinch. Here, you have to fight the controller.

I'm sure people said that when criterion announced they were adding an entire island to Burnout Paradise.

My GF waits with baited breath.

From SSX's Facebook:

SSX fans have shown their love for the game’s rich history. We love that history as well, and that’s why we’re excited to be bringing some classic elements to the newest SSX release in our upcoming DLC release. We’ll be letting you know more on Monday, but for now we’re off to launch some fireworks in celebration.

Welp, thanks a lot EA...

I think gladly the picture tells everything I need to know, so I'm fine with waiting for the actual release of the DLC.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think I've put my finger on my problem with this game: it doesn't control at all like any previous SSX games. I don't know if this is what's called "oversteer," but I can never get my character to go exactly where I want. This is in stark contrast to SSX3 where I could exactly where I wanted, when I wanted, how I wanted. I think the control issue is at the heart of my dislike for this game. That gate on JT2 is a good example. It's a struggle just to go through it cleanly. In the previous SSX games it would have been a cinch. Here, you have to fight the controller.

At least on PS3 there is a deadzone. It was worse pre-patch, its better now.

But the characters also turn too fast I think. Or at least there is not enough variation based on the surface they are on. Ice is more slippery, but other than that its pretty straight even across the rest of the surfaces in the game. In previous SSX games snow acted more like snow, turns were slower, and deep snow was a significant factor.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Kind of strange that they didn't know yesterday that they wouldn't be ready to announce something a day later. What the hell? :p

Well, today is the day of the big DLC reveal! I can't wait until we get to see whatever trailer/screenshots they put out for it. Hopefully the DLC will be released soon :)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Give me Snowdream, Elysium Alps, Mercury City, Tokyo Megaplex and Aloha Ice Jam. Let me die a happy man, Todd Batty!

NinjaBoiX

Are they going to fill the pits in the courses with snow? I would buy that DLC.
Oh man, it's a good game and all, but those fucking pits. They're the pits! Ahem. But seriously, it's like, "hey, we added rewind, but it might be too easy now. Shall we just throw a load of random pits in there?"

AndyD

aka andydumi
Looks very nice. And a good price point based on the description. Although I would like more details. And a PS+ discount.

BPK

Meh. I would have much preferred classic tracks (Elysium alps, Merqury City, Aloha, Snowdream, etc).

soultron

Banned
SHREDDING BROS!

Todd Batty will be doing a Ask Me Anything (AMA) on the SSX subreddit this coming Monday, April 30, from 1-4 PM PST.

It's a good chance to ask any questions you have about the upcoming DLC, the standalone game itself, or even future SSX content, so if you're interested, make sure you stop by next Monday! I'll be sure to link it here and in the SSX |OT| when it goes live.

It's a great chance to speak up and make your concerns heard as well. He's very aware of stuff like deathpits (he reads GAF and MerquryCity) but anything you want addressed, make sure you mention it then! The community has always played a very important role in this game, so keep giving feedback to make any future SSX content the best it can be!

Top Bottom