• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Eh. I'm not sold on drop-in, drop-out. There's a chance of me being placed in games where the opposing team has an insurmountable lead, or the game's almost over.

Which leads into another game anyway. It's social who gives a fuck.

What's 100x more detrimental to "fun" is when you're stuck alone vs a full team and you know no one can join to even things up.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Well, I guess I should fill this out.

Are you a very recently approved member of neogaf?
Yes, registered last July and approved this January.

What country are you posting from and what’s your current age.
I'm from Ontario, Canada, but going to college in Vancouver BC. I'm 19 since last October.

At what age did you get into Halo and with which game.
Can't remember the very first time, but it was Halo 2, and I was 13.

For how long have you been reading HaloGAF?
I checked here every so often for a few years, but only really started lurking HaloGAF at the beginning of last year. You were all so endearing. :p

What’s your absolute favorite Halo campaign? And your favorite multiplayer? (you’re not allowed to pick Halo: Combat Evolved for any of the two)
I loved ODST's; the cinematics, the supppresed SMG, and Nathan Fillion. Favorite levels? NMPD HQ, and Tayari Plaza.

Favourite multiplayer is probably H3, but only slightly more than H2. Don't know why, really.

Highest Halo 3 level and which playlist.
45 in SWAT, and 45 in Lone Wolves. I never had a team, so I gave up on TS (40).

AR or BR?
BR. Disliked the reticule though, I never had any faith in it mid-long range because of the reticule.

Absolute favorite multiplayer map from Combat Evolved, Halo 2 and 3 (just one from each).
CE: Sidewinder
H2: Midship
H3: Call me crazy, but default Foundry was one of my favourites. My absolute is unsurprisingly The Pit.

Least hated Reach mp map.(excluding Anniversary pack)
Breakpoint.

Do you prefer BTB or MLG? (pre-Reach era)
Uhhh.. Dont play either one really, but MLG FFA is fun.
Competitive multiplayer or Firefight?
Multiplayer warrior; Firefight is fun, but ODST's was just more enjoyable than Reach's for me.

I also forge, but it's like Lego for me more than anything: just something I do for the hell of it.

Games completed on solo Legendary.
Halo 2, Halo 3. Heroic for CE, Reach and ODST.

Are you EazyB? Mike DongBlain?
Errr ahh, nnnooo.

What are some of your favorite Campaign missions.
I like the long slogs with big battles. AotCR, The Covenant and The Ark, and New Alexandria.

Favorite Reach playlists.
Mostly FFA these days.

Anniversary FFA, Squad. Noble Map Pack was awesome too.

Size of frankie erotica folder (in megabytes).
However many hundreds of Gigs the old Bungie podcasts were. Fellow Scottish accents turn me on.

Opinion on reticule bloom.
I can't stand vanilla bloom, but 85% is pretty much perfect. ZB is awful.

But for H4, fuck no.

Opinion on Armor Abilities and the one you usually end up picking.
There is literally no redeeming value about AA's for me. I really, [b[really[/b] tried to appreciate them. But armor lock and jet pack just shit on me over and over. Even TU AL is unbearable. I never want to see a dedicated system for such equipment ever again in Halo.

I use sprint. But even then I find that I do use it as a crutch.

Why are you a Halo fan?
I think it's a nice mixture of love for the universe fiction and the mild euphoria rage produces.
Only sort of kidding. Not a bad enough dude to go for the 360 out the window achievement, but I've busted the stick in on one of my controllers from a particularly bullshit TS game mid-2011.
I generally like multi though.

Ramirez

Eh. I'm not sold on drop-in, drop-out. There's a chance of me being placed in games where the opposing team has an insurmountable lead, or the game's almost over.

I just said non ranked, WHO CARES? It's better than watching half your team drop out in the lobby or in the first second of the match because they got killed.

So, I was trying to experiment and see what would help the new MC design. I moved the shoulder pads in and up which IMO really helped the design. Also, I would get rid of the things that look like huge eyes on his chest.
fac89fbb.jpg
Disclaimer- I have no idea how to use Photoshop and its the first time I have used it in years, I know its not well done.

Anyways, I would love to see our more Photoshop savvy members attempt to show what they would like to see from MC in Halo 4.

Booshka

I just said non ranked, WHO CARES? It's better than watching half your team drop out in the lobby or in the first second of the match because they got killed.

This is some next level shit, but imagine if you are playing a ranked game where a bunch of ppl quit out. That game then becomes unranked and now ppl can join it, drop in drop out style. Or another alternative, is remaining players can choose to leave that now worthless ranked game to join an in-progress unranked game, while they are still in the ranked game everyone quit out.

Redford

aka Cabbie
So, I was trying to experiment and see what would help the new MC design. I moved the shoulder pads in and up which IMO really helped the design.

Disclaimer- I have no idea how to use Photoshop and its the first time I have used it in years, I know its not well done.

Anyways, I would love to see our more Photoshop savvy members attempt to show what they would like to see from MC in Halo 4.

It looks a bit better, although it makes Chiefs noodly bi's and tri's look even weaker. I don't like the fan-out pad; probably won't be satisfied until it's gone.

I care because social is all I play; I don't like going into ranked. Honestly, I think the best way to retain players is to provide the best mixture of maps and gametypes.

I'm not saying drop-in, drop-out is a bad means to solving the quitting problem, but as I said, I'm not sold on it. I'm not sure if the benefits outweigh the costs. I mean, I guess we won't know until its tried (like in some form of beta), and I would be willing to give it a try.

Thermite

I care because social is all I play; I don't like going into ranked. Honestly, I think the best way to retain players is to provide the best mixture of maps and gametypes.

I'm not saying drop-in, drop-out is a bad means to solving the quitting problem, but as I said, I'm not sold on it. I'm not sure if the benefits outweigh the costs. I mean, I guess we won't know until its tried (like in some form of beta), and I would be willing to give it a try.

Don't be scared, homie.

So, I was trying to experiment and see what would help the new MC design. I moved the shoulder pads in and up which IMO really helped the design. Also, I would get rid of the things that look like huge eyes on his chest.

That actually looks a lot more tolerable. Shrink the gargantuan jetpack boosters/hooks/whatever too and he'll look alright.

Edit: Something like this? My editing here is ass but hopefully it gets the point across.

Ramirez

This is some next level shit, but imagine if you are playing a ranked game where a bunch of ppl quit out. That game then becomes unranked and now ppl can join it, drop in drop out style. Or another alternative, is remaining players can choose to leave that now worthless ranked game to join an in-progress unranked game, while they are still in the ranked game everyone quit out.

mindblown.gif

Try some anny classic, team snipers on HiH. Christ man, there's a playlist for Snipers, why is it an option in normal lists? All red bars except one guy was just icing on the cake.

Blinding

When the TU first came out, GAF was setting up gametypes and playing Customs pretty regularly, Juices always avoided them because he didn't want to tryhard against other GAF members who were good at the game.

Ah, I thought you were talking about recent customs. Yeah, I took part in a couple of those, pretty sure I made Juices ragequit during one of them.

FyreWulff

For those that missed it, the Bungie mailbag.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=news&cid=32038

BREQ The question on everyone's pizza sauce covered lips. Will Recon still be unlockable after the transition?

As with all post transition Halo questions, this one should be directed at 343. Ask for angel. Tell her I sent you (we go way back). What we do know is that you won’t be able to unlock it through Bungie.net.

I sent BS angel a PM a few days ago asking if 343 could answer how that's going to work in a bulletin, so I guess the answer is now if 343 is going to re-implement the functionality on Waypoint.

feel

Nice. But who gets awarded what rank-wise while doing the switch?? You can't just have the games "not count", people would quit out of spite to rob the people beating them out of their "rank points".

Havok

Try some anny classic, team snipers on HiH. Christ man, there's a playlist for Snipers, why is it an option in normal lists?
Because the lessons weren't learned the last three times the same mistake was made in this series. You'd think they would have realized that people want a separate list by now.

Trey

Totally remember this. :lol

Who are the top of the food chain around here? As a newer member, I must challenge the throne and establish my authority within the community.

I'm exceedingly average at this game.

Who usually runs the customs, by the way?

Booshka

Nice. But who gets awarded what rank-wise while doing the switch?? You can't just have the games "not count", people would quit out of spite to rob the people beating them out of their "rank points".

I think player rank should be a comprehensive scoring system based on how well you play and how much you win. If someone quits they should lose rank points similar to a bunch of betrayals or something. The players that stay in the game would have whatever rank points accumulated while the game was still valid stop right there once it becomes invalid when players quit. Then it turns into a social game with no bearing on rank. Win/Loss will not be calculated for players that choose to remain in the now social game, but players that quit while the game was still ranked get a Loss.

Who are the top of the food chain around here? As a newer member, I must challenge the throne and establish my authority within the community.

Tell you who's not, that Tashi kid. Gaaaaaarbaaaaage.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Dax or Ghaleon for sure.

Ramirez

Another request for 4, 1 sided objective matches should only be 1 round per side, I'd say less than 25% of TO games I've played have been able to keep a full match for 4 rounds. Most of them should have ended because the other team couldn't win anyways, but that's another thing altogether.

kylej

Banned

What costs? It's social.

Booshka

Another request for 4, 1 sided objective matches should only be 1 round per side, I'd say less than 25% of TO games I've played have been able to keep a full match for 4 rounds. Most of them should have ended because the other team couldn't win anyways, but that's another thing altogether.

Shouldn't it just be best of 3? Both teams would have to play at least one round on offense and one on defense. First team to win two rounds wins, game over. No bullshit round when a team can't win.

Ramirez

Shouldn't it just be best of 3? Both teams would have to play at least one round on offense and one on defense. First team to win two rounds wins, game over. No bullshit round when a team can't win.

I would be more in favor of 2 rounds, with the winner being whoever capped or planted the fastest. The more rounds you add, the less likely you are to get people to stay once stuff goes sour, sad, but true.

Booshka

I would be more in favor of 2 rounds, with the winner being whoever capped or planted the fastest. The more rounds you add, the less likely you are to get people to stay once stuff goes sour, sad, but true.

That sounds like a modified gametype for an attack and defend style game mode. Blitz 1Flag or something like that. I understand your sentiment, but 3 rounds max that are capped at 3-4 mins shouldn't be hard to complete. It's 8-12 minutes, most objective games last that long. If people can't play Halo for more than 5 mins at a time, stick to Slayer.

Ramirez

That sounds like a modified gametype for an attack and defend style game mode. Blitz 1Flag or something like that. I understand your sentiment, but 3 rounds max that are capped at 3-4 mins shouldn't be hard to complete. It's 8-12 minutes, most objective games last that long. If people can't play Halo for more than 5 mins at a time, stick to Slayer.

The 400 people in TO right now shows that they do. I dunno, I was just throwing some ideas out since I had a guy quit on my team after the 1st round because the other team capped. I'm just really sick of quitters in general with this game.

Booshka

The 400 people in TO right now shows that they do. I dunno, I was just throwing some ideas out since I had a guy quit on my team after the 1st round because the other team capped. I'm just really sick of quitters in general with this game.

That's where my other suggestion comes into play. But really it's just Reach, people don't like it enough to stick around when they are losing. Best bet is to make a good game and give player's options so they are playing what they want to play, and even if they are losing the game should still be somewhat fun. Reach is not like that, so people are going to quit. Too many people are also just salty assholes that hate losing regardless, they don't have fun unless they are winning in any game.

Ramirez

That's where my other suggestion comes into play. But really it's just Reach, people don't like it enough to stick around when they are losing. Best bet is to make a good game and give player's options so they are playing what they want to play, and even if they are losing the game should still be somewhat fun. Reach is not like that, so people are going to quit. Too many people are also just salty assholes that hate losing regardless, they don't have fun unless they are winning in any game.

This is why I feel drop in/drop out is almost a necessity in the gaming landscape these days. Either that, or penalize someone harshly within the game. I don't like the quit ban, because it effects legit disconnects, so I don't really have any answer there.

I cannot agree with this enough.

2 rounds, 5 minutes each, unlimited scoring.

Trey

This is why I feel drop in/drop out is almost a necessity in the gaming landscape these days. Either that, or penalize someone harshly within the game. I don't like the quit ban, because it effects legit disconnects, so I don't really have any answer there.

Truly the million dollar question.

What do you do in ranked? Because people will quit that too. Quit ban? Considering the stakes, seems more than reasonable. They can go to the social side.

Ramirez

What do you do in ranked? Because people will quit that too. Quit ban? Considering the stakes, seems more than reasonable. They can go to the social side.

In ranked, a automatic loss in rank might make people stay. If social has DIDO, then it wouldn't matter.

I cannot agree with this enough.

2 rounds, 5 minutes each, unlimited scoring.

Yea, unlimited scoring is another option to whoever scored the fastest.

Overdoziz

Banned
Yea, unlimited scoring is another option to whoever scored the fastest.
And the moment the attacking team in the second round has scored more points than the attacking team in the first round did the game should end immediately. No reason to keep playing after that.

Retro

Give quitters a giant head (DK Mode) for each game that they quit, and the only way to remove the penalty is to complete a game. If you quit 20 games, you have to go through 20 full games to remove the penalty. Make it cumulative, so the more quits you rack up without clearing them out makes your head bigger and bigger.

If you're a quitting little bitch, you get a giant fucking head like the broad side of a barn for newbs to headshot with ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom