• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Shares Drop 5% Following Pre-TGS Announcements, Analysts Comment

Sethos

Banned
RKjqr.png

GeekyDad

The_Darkest_Red said:
...I predict much crow eating after the holiday season.

You really think the holiday-season performance is an accurate barometer for the health of the 3DS for a company like Nintendo? Professed Nintendo fan here, but it's how they do during the lean times that best reflects their overall health as a company. The Sega comparison seems way inaccurate, as they were never as big as Nintendo have been in the past five years. But shares dropping off by 50 percent. You only need to look at Wall Street in 2008 to see how even a mammoth company can be reduced to rubble over night.

No doom, but there's definitely cause for gloom right now. All I can say is, it's time for Nintendo to roll up its sleeves and start paddling. Shit's gettin' real.

BorkBork said:
I'm going to bookmark this particular gloom and doom thread to revisit in January, after a Monster Hunter/Mario Land/Mario Kart filled holiday season.

I don't think there are many posters in this thread that believe the 3DS is doomed, but it's clear the market is shifting and dedicated handhelds will have more more niche (but significant) share of the market. That's not the type of thing that's going to get investors excited. They like to see growth.

DS = DVD
3DS = blu-ray

Nintendo is dying. Today the company attempted to wow gamers with an "extensive line-up that has probably never been seen before in the history of video games," announced company president Satoru Iwata, but the offerings failed to impress, Reuters's Isabel Reynolds reports. "Nintendo's attempt to rescue its failed 3DS handheld games gadget failed to dispel market gloom, triggering a 5 percent share slide and stoking deep worries for an iconic brand desperate to win back users." Nintendo's not just some one-hit wunderkind to come out of the digital revolution. For many decades the company has popped out gaming and console hits alike. But things are different now; gaming has changed. Its gone mobile and Nintendo refuses to jump on that. And its reluctance to evolve is suicidal.

Nintendo doesn't get that nobody wants Nintendo gaming systems anymore. The 3DS stinks. From NES to N64 to the Gameboy to Wii, Nintendo has produced gaming systems that people want to play. Not many want to touch the 3DS. Sales are way down, reports The Wall Street Journal's Juro Osawa. This might have something to do with a general lack of support for 3D tech, argues The Guardian's Charles Arthur. "It may also signal that 3D technologies --which were held up at the start of 2010 as a new way to encourage people to buy new laptops, TVs and consoles--are not grabbing the attention of buyers in the way that hardware makers had hoped." But, more likely, it's a result of Nintendo's bad timing, explains Osawa. "An attempt to replicate the great success of its predecessor, the DS, released in 2004, the 3DS hit the market at a time when smartphones such as Apple Inc.'s iPhone are rapidly emerging as videogame platforms." Gamers prefer playing on their iPhones, iPads, or laptops. And Nintendo's not adapting, as Reynolds explains. "Nintendo has been criticized for sticking rigidly to its own hardware, meaning it has no access to the new generation of mobile devices." We bet you'd buy Super Mario for your iPad if you could.

Not only has Nintendo not segued onto hipper platforms, but the company hasn't developed the types of games people play now-a-days. "Analysts and investors dismissed the line-up as lackluster and largely irrelevant in the face of cheap or free games played on the likes of Apple's iPhone and iPad and Google-powered Android devices," continues Reynolds. The whole gaming scene has gotten less expensive and more social--Nintendo hasn't adapted. Like we said, the company hasn't opened itself up to smart phones nor has it developed games for the changing consumer. Think: More Farmville, less Mario.
Nintendo just isn't hip enough, guys.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
iPhone games cannot die soon enough.

Sorry, no offense, maybe "slowed down" or "normalized" is a better wording. iOS gaming is not and will not be the end all, be all of video games.

The quicker something happens so people who don't play video games realize they are two different and co-existing markets, the better.

Glass Rebel

All according to keikaku. This will allow Nintendo to buy back all shares to become a private company and reach god-tier status with Valve.

DonMigs85

I guess this is a side effect of a shareholder-driven corporate culture obsessed with insane quarterly or even monthly growth.

ShockingAlberto said:
Why is this happening today, out of curiosity?

Did people expect Nintendo would announce iOS development last night?
Obviously, Apple plants have infiltrated all media.

Everyone was expecting Nintendo to drop dead, go third party, and put everything on iOS.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Glass Rebel said:
All according to keikaku. This will allow Nintendo to buy back all shares to become a private company and reach god-tier status with Valve.

I would love that.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
ShockingAlberto said:

Maybe. People were yammering on about Steam as well, but nothing will appease the masses except for iOS development.

Even if the 3DS is successful, Nintendo's investors won't understand why they don't jump on board iOS / Android markets.

I thought GAF was overly negative on Nintendo these past few months. This is just ridiculous. I've got no clue what they were hoping for. If people posted what these articles they'd be laughed at and potentially banned.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
ShockingAlberto said:

I'd say it's a vicious cycle of reposts. All the articles are based on the same source, but each gets more and more pessimistic.

Top Bottom