• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Shares Drop 5% Following Pre-TGS Announcements, Analysts Comment

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Not sure if old or thread worthy, so I'm gonna dump it here...

Following its pre-Tokyo Game Show event, Nintendo has seen its share price fall as investors were left unimpressed by the various announcements made.

The company revealed a number of new titles for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii at the event, including the likes of Pokepark 2 for Wii and Mario Tennis for 3DS.

It also announced that 3D video capture is coming to its handheld console later this year in November, allowing users to record stereoscopic 3D video clips.

However, business website Reuters reports that Nintendo's shares fell by 5 percent, with investors skeptical that the new 3DS content will be enough competition for smartphone and tablet gaming.

Mitsuhige Akino, chief fund manager at Ichiyoshi Investment, told Reuters, "I don't think the new games will make any difference."

"Nintendo succeeded by pulling in people who weren't gamers and their needs now are no longer being filled by Nintendo, they are happy playing games on their mobile phones."

The slump in share price means that Nintendo's shares have now dropped 46 percent overall compared to the start of the year.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/37189/Nintendo_Shares_Drop_5_Following_PreTGS_Announcements.php

I'm speechless. I thought Nintendo delivered on every level. You just can't win with these people, can you?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
We should probably try to salvage the Monster Hunter 4 thread from becoming about this article, so I'm going to split it.

I hope no one minds.

o_O

I guess trying to capture the hardcore isn't what the shareholders are looking for, they need the lightning in the bottle that stuff like Nintendogs/Brain Training first captured

Daschysta

Appears the investors are just skeptical of the whole console approach in general. good riddance, go invest in apple or something.

Cheech

"Nintendo succeeded by pulling in people who weren't gamers and their needs now are no longer being filled by Nintendo, they are happy playing games on their mobile phones."

Right on the money.

Cipherr

"I don't think the new games will make any difference."

Anyone who knows anything and who has followed the gaming industry at all knows that MH3G, Mario Kart, Mario 3DLand, KI, and Layton will absolutely make a difference for the 3DS.

Thats really not up for debate, so let them be wrong, who cares. We will have to druge through a bunch of unnecessary "Nintendo rights the 3DS ship!" articles early 2012 though as those sales figures trickle out.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Chuck Norris said:
These people are expecting the next Brain Training / Wii Fit / Nintendogs and are getting Monster Hunter I guess
But they are. Animal Crossing and Tomodachi Collection for the 3DS, both games which are sure to light up the charts like their DS predecessors.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BlazingDarkness said:
o_O

I guess trying to capture the hardcore isn't what the shareholders are looking for, they need the lightning in the bottle that stuff like Nintendogs/Brain Training first captured

Pretty much. To them it looks like Nintendo's chasing more of a 'PSP' market - more the core gamer, and that might not be what they want to see. Nintendo probably doesn't have much choice in the current landscape.

It is a more reliable end of the market though, so they should cheer up a little.

Cheech said:

Right on the money.

Yep
All Nintendo has done so far with the 3DS is take back some of the pie that Sony took from them originally with the PSP, they've not expanded upon the audience they had with the DS

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
BlazingDarkness said:
o_O

They had that fashion game thing during the press conference, did it look like something what shareholders want?

gogogow

Shareholders are not happy, Nintendo didn't went 3rd party and working on iOS games.
Nintendo should buy back their shares from these dumb shareholders.

It went up with the MH4 announcement then back down. Pretty sure they want Pokemon. Either way it's good for me cause I want to buy Nintendo stock. Drop more please. Then rise to the heavens during the Fall.

confused

Banned
Understandable really. Besides Mario there isn't much there that is exciting for non-core gamers. But then again, Nintendo already announced they're going after the core gamer now. Investors must be confused or something.

Actually I saw a lot of titles potentially interesting for the casual audience / kids: Tomodachi 2, Girls' Mode 2, Calciobit, Nature 3D, Cinderella RPG.

speedpop said:
But they are. Animal Crossing and Tomodachi Collection for the 3DS, both games which are sure to light up the charts like their DS predecessors.

Nintendo wants to catch the female audience with a pink 3DS, come on. That's not the 90s anymore.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't see what is at all controversial about this. He's making a pretty direct assessment of the layout - that the games on display are all mostly gamer games, and the crowd they catered to with the Wii/DS are being largely ignored now. This is perhaps good for -us- (even though, frankly, I don't think their announcements were impressive at all, MonHun 4 aside - more franchise whoring and laziness for the most part), but bad for the business who revived itself on the backs of those non-gamers.

What games at the Pre-TGS show do you think will continue to bring in those non-gamers? I can't think of any. Animal Crossing? Well, it'll sell... but is it going to bring in new gamers? Nintendogs+Cats didn't. People saw through the facade and realized how lazy it was. It's more old ideas based on a company out of new ideas. All they do now is release sequel 7 in whatever franchise they're inclined to whore out at the moment while simultaneously showing extreme incompetence with the price cut and now the analog dongle add on. Just shows they were not ready.

BurntPork

Banned
What the actual fuck? I guess they where really hoping for a move to iOS.

Well, guys, let's be smart and buy their stock now, since it'll explode this holiday. 5 million worldwide between November and December, at the very least!

Amir0x said:
I don't see what is at all controversial about this. He's making a pretty direct assessment of the layout - that the games on display are all mostly gamer games, and the crowd they catered to with the Wii/DS are being largely ignored now. This is perhaps good for -us- (even though, frankly, I don't think their announcements were impressive at all, MonHun 4 aside - more franchise whoring and laziness for the most part), but bad for the business who revived itself on the backs of those non-gamers.

What games at the Pre-TGS show do you think will continue to bring in those non-gamers? I can't think of any. Animal Crossing? Well, it'll sell... but is it going to bring in new gamers? Nintendogs+Cats didn't. People saw through the facade and realized how lazy it was. It's more old ideas based on a company out of new ideas. All they do now is release sequel 7 in whatever franchise they're inclined to whore out at the moment while simultaneously showing extreme incompetence with the price cut and now the analog dongle add on. Just shows they were not ready.
Girl Mode

Binabik15

Cipherr said:
Anyone who knows anything and who has followed the gaming industry at all knows that MH3G, Mario Kart, Mario 3DLand, KI, and Layton will absolutely make a difference for the 3DS.

Thats really not up for debate, so let them be wrong, who cares. We will have to druge through a bunch of unnecessary "Nintendo rights the 3DS ship!" articles early 2012 though as those sales figures trickle out.

Maybe investors expect those games to have an impact and have already considered them in their decision to hold/sell stock, but expected more on top of that?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It appears to me investors are heavily fixated on the mobile market, and basically unless Nintendo or Sony announces they are bringing Mario and Uncharted to iphone analysts are not going to be impressed.

Electivirus said:
More proof that investors aren't gamers.

Damn right. I mean did they miss that they announced a new entry of a multi-million franchise on their system?

Man if I was Iwata with the money I'd rake in I had have a tower of money ala Scrooge McDuck and swim in it jut because I roll like that.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Nirolak said:
We should probably try to salvage the Monster Hunter 4 thread from becoming about this article, so I'm going to split it.

I hope no one minds.
I was counting on you to split/bump. Nobody can whine about the thread now :p

miksar

This how it always is. When Nintendo announced Wii Fit during their E3 press-conference hardcore fans were pissed off but the stock price went higher and investors were pleased. There's probably no way for Nintendo to satisfy everyone.

Cheech said:

Right on the money.
Bingo!

Daschysta

So they would rather nintendo chase an elusive market that has moved on rather than securing gamers, who aren't quite as fickle in their gaming fancies. The investors just are against the whole console model, which means perhaps they should have done some research about the company they were investing in beforehand...

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
All these things should (hopefully) change during the holidays. Iwata even asked them to wait for 4 months, but they really don't have the patience, do they?

They'll never be happy. If they see Nintendo not following the latest trend, they'll always see it as a negative.

Amir0x said:

What about Animal Crossing, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Tomodachi 2, Style Savvi 2, Calciobit, Nature 3D and Girl's RPG?

Let me guess no phon...too predictable.

It is an interesting point that the gaming population expansion has migrated and Nintendo has cmopletely stopped serving them though they are becoming saturated and no longer a unique selling point so back to traditonal games (to be honest, self-help and fitness are timeless genres really in the whole of the media).

It seems to me Nintendo are pioneers but what they do becomes too big to ignore then they find themselves pushed off stage. It is Nintendo so where that will be is unpredictable and sometimes not all that original. Nintendogs you can draw comparisons to Tamogotchi or other virtual pet simulators (plus as I said about Wii Fit, fitness is not original, the balance board concept and feedback is though...even if it is no subsitute for a personal training or a socail thing like an aerobics class).

I can't imagine anything outside of new hardware that they would feel would be enough probably.

MH4 was a pretty big announcement for the East

Top Bottom