• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Shares Drop 5% Following Pre-TGS Announcements, Analysts Comment

Cipherr

Binabik15 said:
Maybe investors expect those games to have an impact and have already considered them in their decision to hold/sell stock, but expected more on top of that?

I think they want to see Android and iOS game announcements from Nintendo, and don't fully understand how that absolutely has no chance of happening right now nor the near future.

Its just people that don't understand the landscape of gaming or the industry at all really.

confused

Banned
Amir0x said:
I don't see what is at all controversial about this. He's making a pretty direct assessment of the layout - that the games on display are all mostly gamer games, and the crowd they catered to with the Wii/DS are being largely ignored now. This is perhaps good for -us- (even though, frankly, I don't think their announcements were impressive at all, MonHun 4 aside - more franchise whoring and laziness for the most part), but bad for the business who revived itself on the backs of those non-gamers.

What games at the Pre-TGS show do you think will continue to bring in those non-gamers? I can't think of any. Animal Crossing? Well, it'll sell... but is it going to bring in new gamers? Nintendogs+Cats didn't. People saw through the facade and realized how lazy it was. It's more old ideas based on a company out of new ideas. All they do now is release sequel 7 in whatever franchise they're inclined to whore out at the moment while simultaneously showing extreme incompetence with the price cut and now the analog dongle add on. Just shows they were not ready.

Truer words have never been spoken on GAF. Nintendo's fumbling the ball left and right, no wonder investors don't want in.

Erethian

I wonder if this is looking to their worldwide performance or not.

Because Tomodachi Collection was one of the big expanded audience titles of the DS, and that's getting a sequel. Though it's also very Japanese-centric.

Mafro said:
Did the MH4 announcement pass them by?
Hmm

Capcom

Capcom_thumb.jpg

confused

Banned
Meisadragon said:
All these things should (hopefully) change during the holidays. Iwata even asked them to wait for 4 months, but they really don't have the patience, do they?

Aren't two of those four months already gone ? What happened so far ? They pissed all over everybody with this expansion nub.

SmokyDave

Cheech said:
"Nintendo succeeded by pulling in people who weren't gamers and their needs now are no longer being filled by Nintendo, they are happy playing games on their mobile phones."

Right on the money.
Yup. Rage at them all you want but they're probably correct.

Binabik15

Cipherr said:
I think they want to see Android and iOS game announcements from Nintendo, and don't fully understand how that absolutely has no chance of happening right now nor the near future.

Its just people that don't understand the landscape of gaming or the industry at all really.

Well, then that´s the opportunity for people who think they can predict the market better to come in and buy 5% cheaper stock than tomorrow yesterday and re-sell it for more after Nintendo sells gangbusters. Capitalism and all.

I don´t have money enough to play on the stock market, though.

edit: after lunch sleepyness, managed to slip in a little time warp

gogogow

confused said:
Understandable really. Besides Mario there isn't much there that is exciting for non-core gamers. But then again, Nintendo already announced they're going after the core gamer now. Investors must be confused or something.
Style Boutique, Mario & Sonic, Animal Crossing, Tomodachi, Mario Tennis? That's a decent amount of casual games. All we're missing are Brain Training games. Nintendo did the right thing to not release a bunch of casual games at/near launch. The 249 pricetag scared away the casual gamers anyway. But now it's the perfect timing to release these casual games and relaunch Nintendogs/Layton etc.

Amir0x

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Style Savvi was quite the success on the original DS...

None of this, sorry, none of your games period you listed are going to draw in new gamers. Half of them are lazy efforts to capitalize on past successes; most of them will just fail to have broad appeal altogether.

These are not big ideas, these are limpdicked ideas of someone out of ideas. 3DS will be the victor by default, but not because of these games. Because it's $169.99 while Vita is $249.99, and it'll never be as successful as DS or close because it just is old hat ideas. Nintendo is out of fresh ideas.

They're just lucky Sony still doesn't get it and that there is still any market for deeper games yet.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Amir0x said:
I don't see what is at all controversial about this. He's making a pretty direct assessment of the layout - that the games on display are all mostly gamer games, and the crowd they catered to with the Wii/DS are being largely ignored now. This is perhaps good for -us- (even though, frankly, I don't think their announcements were impressive at all, MonHun 4 aside - more franchise whoring and laziness for the most part), but bad for the business who revived itself on the backs of those non-gamers.

What games at the Pre-TGS show do you think will continue to bring in those non-gamers? I can't think of any. Animal Crossing? Well, it'll sell... but is it going to bring in new gamers? Nintendogs+Cats didn't. People saw through the facade and realized how lazy it was. It's more old ideas based on a company out of new ideas. All they do now is release sequel 7 in whatever franchise they're inclined to whore out at the moment while simultaneously showing extreme incompetence with the price cut and now the analog dongle add on. Just shows they were not ready.
While you may have a point regarding the lack of demographic variety that earlier DS/Wii line-ups enjoyed, what I saw today was a conference with at least 3 titles that pull numbers as big as those Wii____ and Touch generation titles. Isn't that what matters in the end?

Prine

Banned
I think Nintendo reached their peak in 2009. Too many competitors and their fickle audience (the casuals) moving onto something else.

BurntPork

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Wouldn't it be better for Nintendo to try to get the hardcore players, THEN move on to getting casuals?
This, very much. It's still a bit above the mass-market price for handhelds, so until they can drop another $20-40 off, they should focus mostly on the audience that buys hardware within the first year. Besides, we don't know if there's even anything they can do to get that audience away from Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja.

Amir0x said:
hahhahaha

The fact is that many games that succeeded on DS were totally unexpected smash hit. Did you espected to see Tomodachi sell more then 3 million copies? And Animal Crossing more than 5 millions? And so on. So it is difficult to understand the impact of some games before they are released. For me, Calciobit may be a sleeper hit if advertised better than on GBA.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Amir0x said:
These are not big ideas, these are limpdicked ideas of someone out of ideas. 3DS will be the victor by default, but not because of these games. Because it's $169.99 while Vita is $249.99, and it'll never be as successful as DS or close because it just is old hat ideas. Nintendo is out of fresh ideas.
They aren't exactly known for constantly refurbishing the gaming industry outside of once or twice a generation, and most of that comes from hardware changes.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Without getting into the merits of Amirox's opinions about Nintendo being out of fresh ideas, I really do not think investors would be satisfied with 30 casual games being announced last night- they are saying it in black and white- bring your franchises to mobile- that is all that matters. Its unfortunate they do not seem to understand that will not happen.

confused

Banned
gogogow said:
Style Boutique, Mario & Sonic, Animal Crossing, Tomodachi, Mario Tennis? That's a decent amount of casual games. All we're missing are Brain Training games. Nintendo did the right thing to not release a bunch of casual games at/near launch. The 249 pricetag scared away the casual gamers anyway. But now it's the perfect timing to release these casual games and relaunch Nintendogs/Layton etc.

Were already announced / expected before the conference. These are also not new and exciting games.

Electivirus said:
More proof that investors aren't gamers.

Can be said more proof gamers aren't investors. In the big picture, the investors concerns are valid ones (albit may not be correct in the long run but as much as I hate smartphone gaming, it is kicking tail).

The same old Nintendo sequels and a few third party games most people would rather play on Vita. They'll probably drop even further after the Sony event tomorrow.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
confused said:
Aren't two of those four months already gone ? What happened so far ? They pissed all over everybody with this expansion nub.
At least, they introduced the slider pad early in the 3DS' life-cycle, so I doubt they're pissed over that. They just don't have any confidence in the 3DS atm.

gogogow

Amir0x said:
None of this, sorry, none of your games period you listed are going to draw in new gamers. Half of them are lazy efforts to capitalize on past successes; most of them will just fail to have broad appeal altogether.
New gamers never played those games before. Casual gamers or "non-gamers" who bought a DS some years ago might be interested in these games. I don't see how these games aren't going to do anything. Capitilzing on past successes seems to work very well for the yearly COD's, Fifa's, Madden's etc. Nintendo should actually make MORE sequels, 2nd Smash Brothers for Wii, 2nd Mario Kart, NSMB etc. People are gonna eat it up.

Parmenides said:

Interesting. Some guy in another thread said the move for MH4 was a "bad" move because of Japanese culture (he claimed to be an expert). Basically said for a culture based on honor and shame, this smacks of betrayl. I wonder if he had a point with that chart above...

Profit affects dividend. The true value of a share is its dividend yield, i.e. the size of dividend relative to the share price.

Nintendo are tanking this year, both at home and in the portable market. Anybody selling off while the stock price is high is smart.

BurntPork

Banned
Trust me guys, we'll see more "NINTENDO, Y U NO MAKE IOS GAMES" articles soon, since that's what this is all about. They want 3DS dropped, so until it sells, any signs of Nintendo supporting it will be bad news to investors.

maabus1999 said:
Interesting. Some guy in another thread said the move for MH4 was a "bad" move because of Japanese culture (he claimed to be an expert). Basically said for a culture based on honor and shame, this smacks of betrayl. I wonder if he had a point with that chart above...
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Paracelsus

maabus1999 said:

. _ .

maabus1999 said:

LOL!

Oh man.

confused

Banned
Meisadragon said:
At least, they introduced the slider pad early in the 3DS' life-cycle, so I doubt they're pissed over that. They just don't have any confidence in the 3DS atm.

You really think investors look at that shit and think : Hmm, Nintendo seems to know what they're doing, let's give them money.

Fuck no, they're thinking : What the fuck. This 3DS has been a disaster. Nintendo is out of touch with their market. Let's see if I can spend my money elsewhere.

Amir0x

Banned
gogogow said:
New gamers never played those games before. Casual gamers or "non-gamers" who bought a DS some years ago might be interested in these games. I don't see how these games aren't going to do anything. Capitilzing on past successes seems to work very well for the yearly COD's, Fifa's, Madden's etc. Nintendo should actually make MORE sequels, 2nd Smash Brothers for Wii, 2nd Mario Kart, NSMB etc. People are gonna eat it up.

Broadly, there's two problems. One, a lot of this is very narrowly appealed to one territory or another. You can't be a global platform on that premise, and the rest of the world matters.

And two, they are old ideas. They're not going to define the 3DS. They're not going to make the 3DS particularly unique. Casuals/non-gamers must be convinced to UPGRADE to 3DS over, say, a mobile phone or just sticking with their original DS. Old ideas in slightly new skins is not the answer.

REUTERS

Nintendo's attempt to rescue its failed 3DS handheld games gadget failed to dispel market gloom, triggering a 5 percent share slide and stoking deep worries for an iconic brand desperate to win back users.

On Tuesday, President Satoru Iwata introduced what he said was an unprecedented range of games, aimed at attracting everyone from hardcore gamers to fashion-conscious girls and fans of the long-running Mario series.

The Japanese company also announced on its website a new 1,500 yen ($19) slidepad accessory needed for certain games.

But analysts and investors dismissed the line-up as lackluster and largely irrelevant in the face of cheap or free games played on the likes of Apple's iPhone and iPad and Google-powered Android devices.

Nintendo has been criticized for sticking rigidly to its own hardware, meaning it has no access to the new generation of mobile devices.

"I don't think the new games will make any difference," said Mitsushige Akino, chief fund manager at Ichiyoshi Investment.

"Nintendo succeeded by pulling in people who weren't gamers and their needs now are no longer being filled by Nintendo, they are happy playing games on their mobile phones,"[ he said.

Nintendo's shares ended 5 percent lower in a strong market. The Kyoto-based company's shares have plunged nearly 50 percent so far this year, hit by the 3DS flop and doubts that it can replicate the success of its Wii home console with the next generation WiiU, announced at the E3 games show in June.

Nintendo, which means "Leave luck to heaven," was forced to announce price cuts of up to 40 percent in July to try to boost slumping demand for the glasses-free 3D version of the DS, but this only temporarily spurred sales.

In July, Nintendo slashed its outlook for the business year to end-March to its lowest in 27 years as it braced for losses from the 3D gadget and a stronger yen.

In a subdued Tokyo conference hall on Tuesday, an appearance by the company's star game designer, Shigeru Miyamoto, wielding a toy sword and shield raised a laugh, but a series of 3DS game images depicting Miyamoto and Iwata as a pair of young lovers was met with silence.

LINE-UP OF GAMES

"From the end of this year to the beginning of next, we are planning the kind of extensive line-up that has probably never been seen before in the history of video games," Iwata told reporters and guests.

"We will make an all-out effort to see that the 3DS sells enough to become the successor to the DS," Iwata said.

That will be no easy task, given that earlier models of the DS had sold a cumulative total of about 148 million units by the end of June this year. The gadget, along with the motion-controlled Wii home console, enabled Nintendo to dominate the industry for years.

In Japan, 3DS sales leaped to more than 200,000 units in the week of the price cut, but swiftly fell back to about 55,000 units, according to research firm Enterbrain.

That leaves only the secretive company's famed content, never made available on other firms' hardware, to revive sales.

"The only possible way for Nintendo to revive would be to stop concentrating on mobile games and switch to Wii-type games for the whole family," said Makoto Kikuchi, CEO of Myojo Asset Management. "However, at the moment, I can't see this change coming."

Iwata took a 50 percent pay cut, and other executives took 20-30 percent cuts to take responsibility for the poor performance.

Analysts have cut their full-year operating profit forecasts for Nintendo by an average of 45 percent in the past 30 days and the stock is now trading at 45 times its estimated forward 12-month earnings, according to Thomson Reuters data.

Shares in software provider Capcom slumped by 8.3 percent after the company said it would be developing the next generation of its hit Monster Hunter game for the 3DS.

Nintendo slashed the price of the 3DS after sales shriveled to just 710,000 units in April-June from 3.6 million in the first month after its launch, and a tiny fraction of the 16 million unit target for the year.

Macquarie Securities analyst David Gibson said he still expected the 3DS gadget to sell about 14.5 million units over the year. ($1 = 77.000 Japanese Yen)

Gokurakumaru said:
Profit affects dividend. The true value of a share is its dividend yield, i.e. the size of dividend relative to the share price.

Nintendo are tanking this year, both at home and in the portable market. Anybody selling off while the stock price is high is smart.

But you get no dividend with Nintendo shares, it's all about growth.

Top Bottom