• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Shares Drop 5% Following Pre-TGS Announcements, Analysts Comment

1-D_FTW

Jinfash said:
Not sure if old or thread worthy, so I'm gonna dump it here...

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/37189/Nintendo_Shares_Drop_5_Following_PreTGS_Announcements.php

I'm speechless. I thought Nintendo delivered on every level. You just can't win with these people, can you?

Why? I'm thoroughly unimpressed too. That lineup is like a return to the glory days of the N64. Maybe the hardcore Nintendo fanatics are impressed by it, but from a business POV, it wasn't exactly a golden age.

PdotMichael said:
But you get no dividend with Nintendo shares, it's all about growth.

Huh? Nintendo usually pays great dividends. They cut if this year because of the sales numbers.

Erethian

bigtroyjon said:
The market as a whole was up 1% today in Japan.

It would depend on whether videogame stocks in general were up today, more than the overall market. Because poor-performing sectors can be masked by a rise in more heavily traded stocks.

But my point was it's not always as simple as ascribing a single cause to the movements of individual stock.

GCX

To be fair almost all of the new stuff Nintendo announced is for 2012 and don't affect the company's performance this fiscal year. most of the investors are looking for short term gains.

Cipherr

maabus1999 said:
Interesting. Some guy in another thread said the move for MH4 was a "bad" move because of Japanese culture (he claimed to be an expert). Basically said for a culture based on honor and shame, this smacks of betrayl. I wonder if he had a point with that chart above...

Tell me you did not just take that "Just shot themselves in the foot, Im an expert" meme seriously.

Bad_Boy said:
I wonder what this thread would look like if the shares went up.

It wouldnt have been posted.

monome

Jinfash said:
"Nintendo succeeded by pulling in people who weren't gamers and their needs now are no longer being filled by Nintendo, they are happy playing games on their mobile phones."

Ever since I got my 3DS, I tried to have my girlfriend interested in it since she's been drifting to iphone/ipad games for a year or two but to no avail.

Price point, ease of use, and the fact that she merely wants some fun and not necessarily some challenge were her answers to my pleas not to become an iOS zombie...

And I'm not gonna get a second 3DS with all those add-on shenanigans going on. No Mario Kart 7 lovu-lovu sessions...

Some say "Always bet on black", I'm not betting against Nintendo but sometimes the ball sticks to red. I just don't think the 3DS/WiiU combo is a strong outing from Nintendo, as do shareholders.

confused

Banned
Amir0x said:
Broadly, there's two problems. One, a lot of this is very narrowly appealed to one territory or another. You can't be a global platform on that premise, and the rest of the world matters.

And two, they are old ideas. They're not going to define the 3DS. They're not going to make the 3DS particularly unique. Casuals/non-gamers must be convinced to UPGRADE to 3DS over, say, a mobile phone or just sticking with their original DS. Old ideas in slightly new skins is not the answer.

This, when the DS launched, it launched with defining software. Software that exhibited the new style of play the DS brought to the dance. It was fresh.

The 3DS so far has been retread after retread of past successes.

troll.gif

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Nintendo is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMEEEDDD!!!
Post Regurgitation #3,890,939

Third Party here we go

Jesus some analysts try their damn hardest to make apples and oranges be the same things

stilgar

So, let's think about it for a while:

DS&Wii combo made Nintendo the most successful, but also profitable videogames company on the planet.
3DS is STILL NOT doing the same.

Nintendo is permanently fucked.

Yep, it's Kotaku-worthy in terms of amateurism.

Zaptruder

Banned
So how does the 3DS compare to the DS at this same point in its life cycle?

How long has the DS been out anyway? Less than a year right?

Ulairi said:
Fucking iPhone and mobile gaming.

EDIT: I cannot wait for these tools to be wrong.
But it's the future.
Zabka said:
Counting them out before Mario Kart and Pokemon are released is crazy.
The way GAF continues to hype Pokemon and Mario Kart makes me worry that it's all going to fall apart.

miksar

Maybe if we say "doomed" one more time, it will finally happen!

Zaptruder said:
So how does the 3DS compare to the DS at this same point in its life cycle?

How long has the DS been out anyway? Less than a year right?
It is doing better, but it doesn't matter to analysts who didn't follow the gaming industry back then.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
What Nintendo needs to get shareholders behind them is a breakout game that people are willing to put down their phones/tablets to play. At the time of release, games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Brain Training, etc could only be played on Nintendo hardware. Now those types of games are everywhere. The core games it has been showing off are all well and good but they will do very little to attract either new consumers or casual DS owners who already have a smartphone.

These people don't care about the next MH they care about next Wii fit and other types of games like that .
Nintendo is going after the hardcore again because some of it's market has move to smart phones etc etc and investors not seeing Nintendo try to win them back.

Cipherr said:
Tell me you did not just take that "Just shot themselves in the foot, Im an expert" meme seriously.

It wouldnt have been posted.

Oh heck no. However, that CAPCOM chart somewhat backs up his assertions, crazed coincidence or not.

If Nintendo released their games on Ipad/Android platform, it would largely negate people needing to purchase Nintendo hardware. It's obvous why Nintendo doesn't want to do it. They are a hardware and software company. It seems like some analyst and investors want Nintendo to turn into primarily, a software company.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
confused said:
This, when the DS launched, it launched with defining software. Software that exhibited the new style of play the DS brought to the dance. It was fresh.

The 3DS so far has been retread after retread of past successes.
AHAHAHAHAHAHA. One year it took the DS to have any worthy software, one fucking year.

You clearly make honor to your user name.

Saroyan

Just more opinions from "analysts and investors" who know nothing about the video game industry and think that Nintendo needs to make cell phone games.

Ulairi

Banned
SmokyDave said:
What if they're not wrong?

No, seriously, can you even imagine that possibility?

The iPhone has brought new gamers in and picked up people who never really cared about handheld gaming or people that view handheld gaming as inconsequential. They don't mind that they can get a better experience on the 3DS or Vita, because they'd rather play 40 $1 games that may not be as good as one $40 real game.

Amir0x said:
None of this, sorry, none of your games period you listed are going to draw in new gamers. Half of them are lazy efforts to capitalize on past successes; most of them will just fail to have broad appeal altogether.

These are not big ideas, these are limpdicked ideas of someone out of ideas. 3DS will be the victor by default, but not because of these games. Because it's $169.99 while Vita is $249.99, and it'll never be as successful as DS or close because it just is old hat ideas. Nintendo is out of fresh ideas.

They're just lucky Sony still doesn't get it and that there is still any market for deeper games yet.

You're right that a big chunk of them are sequels, but sequels have brought in those kinds of crowds before (Mario Kart DS and Wii are the best examples of this). Also, the 3DS does not need to expand the total market just yet. We're still in the first year of the system's life and there's nothing wrong with working to recapture that existing DS/PSP audience (Nintendo's own market will grow over the DS purely thanks to them stealing a large chunk of the PSP audience as well)

Hell the original DS didn't start expanding the gaming audience until around a year and a half after launch.

Sennorin

Banned
god, shit like this makes me wish for nintendo-domination. another "article" dooming nintendo and praising apple. le sigh.

Calcaneus

Saroyan said:
Just more opinions from "analysts and investors" who know nothing about the video game industry and think that Nintendo needs to make cell phone games.
And you're more qualified? If these same people said "eh, I'm not worried" would they be more trustworthy?

Top Bottom