• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Shares Drop 5% Following Pre-TGS Announcements, Analysts Comment

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm going to post this in every Nintendo doom thread from now on because it's getting out of hand.

3_DSCD.jpg

Nintendo is going to change the game, just wait.

BooJoh

I realize a lot of gamers and gaming media even were saying the same thing with DS and PSP, but I guess now that gaming is more mainstream everyone else wants a piece of the action, and they are really going overboard.

Can't wait til after the holidays, hopefully these sensationalist BS articles will taper off and die.

Sophia

ShockingAlberto said:
Why is this happening today, out of curiosity?

Did people expect Nintendo would announce iOS development last night?

I still can't even fathom playing a game on the various iOS devices, let alone playing Super Mario on there.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't know if it's accurate or not, but according to the other thread the stock price dropped because people knew there would be news (sell on news, buy on rumors), BEFORE the conference itself happened.

I have never bought stock in any company, but stuff like this makes me almost want to buy a bit of Nintendo stock just to see what the price is in January-February 2012.

Isabel Reynolds really has no touch with reality, or with the mass market that's out there. Like most reporters today, the insane obsession with everything needing to be ios, or similar to something apple is doing has reached pure annoyance level. Maybe different people want different things. Shocking I know.

kamikaze

damn, i really need to invest in some nintendo shares while the panic monkeys are diving off the boat and swimming to the iPreserver.

i thought about picking up stock during the gamecube days...time to rectify that!

Whats up with the media saying that Nintendo is dying all of a sudden ? do they have clairvoyance ? just because one platform had a shitty launch ?

gogogow

Ah I see it's Yahoo, wouldn't expect anything less from them. Didn't they had a bunch of
PS3 doom and gloom stories? Journalism at's it's finest.

Deadbeat said:
People really want Nintendo to die.

It's baffling, really. Some gamers I talk to these days act as though Nintendo just doesn't deserve to be in business anymore because they don't make games that they want to play.

kadotsu

Banned
Marrshu said:
I still can't even fathom playing a game on the various iOS devices, let alone playing Super Mario on there.
It's great haven't you seen Fifa being played on a TV via iPad with four iPhones as controller. And the best part: No expensive consoles required!

Ellis Kim

Banned

Fucking hell, man, what's with this trend of "Nintendo should make mobile/tablet games" bullshit? You wouldn't expect the same from MS, and Sony gets a pass because they're a larger electronics manufacturer, but this is basically the "professional/adult" version of "Nintendo sucks--should go third party."

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Lol Yahoo. I can't believe how much this thing is blown out of proportion. Yes, Nintendo isn't in a good position right now but saying "Nintendo is killing itself," is totally unnecessary.

Everyone was giddy with all the Grandma loves Wii mainstream articles.

But now the press has turned and the dark cloud seems hard to shake. Mainstream media is like that. Build them up to tear them down.

ShockingAlberto said:
Why is this happening today, out of curiosity?

Did people expect Nintendo would announce iOS development last night?
Nintendo's TGS stock "crash" + one site writes an article about iOS being the future, journalist speaks to analyst who echos the sentiment - thus all sites attempt to be topical and write the same thing.

Do these writers even look at sales numbers, or are they just grabbing for attention?

EvilMario said:
Think: More Farmville, less Mario.
This line made me throw up a little. What a bleak future these people wish for us.

sublimit said:
Wow the hate towards Nintendo almost rivals Sony in 2006.
I don't recall Nintendo ever being loved even from the 80s where some claimed that Japanese are trying to brainwash American kids till today.

Jamesways

Shin Johnpv said:
Isabel Reynolds really has no touch with reality, or with the mass market that's out there. Like most reporters today, the insane obsession with everything needing to be ios, or similar to something apple is doing has reached pure annoyance level. Maybe different people want different things. Shocking I know.

I agree, it's sad to think that so many journalists think simple 1 dollar phone games are so much better experiences than console gaming.
Bullshit.

Sophia

kadotsu said:
It's great haven't you seen Fifa being played on a TV via iPad with four iPhones as controller. And the best part: No expensive consoles required!

Can't even fathom it. I'm still using an iPod Classic because the Touches don't provide enough space for their price points. =p

Granted, I also find the likes of Sims Social and Farmville annoying because of how badly they try to push you to buy stuff.

Azure J

Wow, they aren't even trying to have a semblance of journalistic integrity here, that title is five kinds of trolling alone! :lol

Looks like we'll never have gaming journalism as good as Nuts for Nintendo ever again...

Edit: Actually I think it was this video I was looking for.

Jhriad

thehillissilent said:
If Nintendo released their games on Ipad/Android platform, it would largely negate people needing to purchase Nintendo hardware. It's obvous why Nintendo doesn't want to do it. They are a hardware and software company. It seems like some analyst and investors want Nintendo to turn into primarily, a software company.

They might be a hardware & software company now but they've long since fallen by the wayside in the home console market. They'll still grab the core with their handheld devices but the casual market is what made the DS the success it was. Most of those folks have since moved on to an iPad or similar Android/iOS device.

It remains to be seen if they'll see major gains with the Wii U among the core with so many of them inexorably linked to their XBL/PSN Profiles unless one of those companies has a major misstep with the next generation & Nintendo can actually do connectivity right. I'm not the only one who has doubts in regards to any Nintendo online/store functionality.

Kagari said:
Systems don't sell much on potential.

Too true, their showing was good for their most loyal fans and those of us feeling a bit like beta testers of late, this showing was not going to impress share holders. It lacked pie charts and pics of your grand mom playing Mario EduBraintainment.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
It's a framing thing. Everyone's latched onto the notion that Nintendo is flailing after it stumbled out of the gate with the 3DS. Naturally they're all looking to capitalize on selling that vantage point and to view all of the company's moves through that lens.

Yuripaw

Banned
As an android owner, I just wanna say...fuck iOS. But also fuck that noise about Nintendo ever developing for an iOS or any phone device. No way in hell would I want any of their games to be exclusively touch based controls like that. My phone is fine for a game like plants vs zombies or angry birds. Do I want to play Mario on it? HELL NO

While sensationalist, I always believed that Nintendo was BY FAR in the most difficult position in transitioning this generation.

Surprised that it's mostly the more mainstream publications (Reuters, Yahoo, etc.) that are attacking them and not the enthusiast press that (seemingly) begrudginly put up with Nintendo's success when most of it was gained on the slogan "it's not for us".

kadotsu said:

Just $300 controllers!

I think that its funny how gaming is considered an expensive hobby when Apple iterates every year

Basch

I'm almost convinced to buy a 3DS just to spite these guys. Fuck them. Most investors have no idea how the gaming market works. How's this weekend sound?

Top Bottom