• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Shares Drop 5% Following Pre-TGS Announcements, Analysts Comment

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I wish some people would shut up and let me enjoy my hobby as it is. (╬ ಠ益ಠ)

EDIT: This was in reference to the yahoo article before the merge.

duckroll

Merged all the threads into this one. Don't make any new ones, they're all saying the same thing so we don't need different threads.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sullichin said:
Holy fuck I hope I never see the phrase "More Farmville, less Mario" ever again.
Of everything in that article that stung the worst. However, you could argue that Nintendo already has their "farmvile" in Pokemon.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
If all the doom and gloom news is to reside in this thread then perhaps a title change would be a good idea to reflect that.

disco

Does anyone even enjoy Angry Birds or Farmville? Does anyone see any intelligence or charm in them? I look at them and I think CHEAP JAVA CRAP. All I see is money grabbing schemes - with Nintendo - you know, you see - well, all the qualities you get in a Nintendo game that you don't in other games. I'm going to stop here before I become soppy and people tell me that "Nintendo is a company too! They want profit." But yeh - quality and care go hand in hand with Nintendo, something I could never see coming from an iOS 99p download.

Elginer

Yahoo is smoking that good shit, I mean holy crap. I was blown away with just the amount of games presented by Nintendo and this is just the start. There's at least 7 games I want and I just got the damn thing. What the hell is going on people???

Foffy

Banned
So...let me get this straight.

- Nintendo gets a main entry of the Dragon Quest series on their platform (Wii/Wii U), but they're doomed.
- Nintendo gets a main entry of the Monster Hunter series on their platform (3DS), but they're doomed.

What the fuck else do they need? I thought both of those franchises are currently THE franchises Japan is in love with that Nintendo doesn't own.

AbsoluteZero said:
It's baffling, really. Some gamers I talk to these days act as though Nintendo just doesn't deserve to be in business anymore because they don't make games that they want to play.
I do think they deserve a slap on the wrist from the consumers (in the form of bad sales).
They have become arrogant as hell.
3DS 250 dollars, why? BECAUSE WE CAN.
They seriously said that, "people were excited so we upped the price."

Online? FUCK YOU. Friend codes? deal with it! second analog or proper battery? FUCK YOU.
Same with the wii U conference 'ticking boxes' , what am I hearing here, are they for serious?

Maybe after this they will get a bit less complacent again, it can only be good for quality.

e.g ATI only stopped sucking at the 9xxx radeon era because they had lost so much market share so now they had to step up their game and price more competitively again.

Zen

Banned
Jinfash said:
Not sure if old or thread worthy, so I'm gonna dump it here...

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/37189/Nintendo_Shares_Drop_5_Following_PreTGS_Announcements.php

I'm speechless. I thought Nintendo delivered on every level. You just can't win with these people, can you?

The sad part is that it is a self fulfilling prophecy that will only be a reality because people keep choosing to beleive the fallacy.

But let's not forget that the media has had it out for Nintendo for years now, even during the Wii years of domination, because Nintendo wasn't following their narrative.

Huff

Banned
Lord Error said:
Of everything in that article that stung the worst. However, you could argue that Nintendo already has their "farmvile" in Pokemon.

Not sure I get the farmville = pokemon comparison. Care to explain?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I've tried playing platformers on my iPhone. It is infinitely inferior than on a dedicated handheld with actual controls.

Sure, I like playing solitaire, Kairosoft games, Drawracing, etc, but it'll be a sad day in Gaming History if physical buttons go the way of the dodo.

Platformers, FPS, anything with a certain amount of input complexity loses out on a touch-only device. How many virtual buttons do you need to cram on a tiny smartphone display to emulate crouch, fire, secondary fire, reload, switch weapon, jump, etc ? Let alone that the app market seems to prefer short, non-complex, and especially cheap games, and therefore discourages any meaty games we like to play on the (3)DS and PSP. Developers also seem to like to make games they sell for very cheap which earn their real money from in-app purchases. Personally I'm not a fan of this constant nickel-and-diming strategy.

Boo, I say, Boo.

More Farmville, Less Mario
3DS Stinks
Hippier Platforms
Iwata-san on the Ejection Seat
3DS flops
etc.

Nintendo is finished in the mainstream. Redirected to the kiddie aisle along Fisher Price and Mattel.

Tiktaalik

I'm not impressed at all with Nintendo's conference, but these analysts are showing an astonishing ignorance of how the gaming industry works. It's really embarrassing.

On a personal level, not a single one of the games announced last night even raised an eyebrow as something I'd want to purchase. Combined with the potential of a two-sticked XL redesign, I'm not going anywhere near buying a 3DS for the foreseeable future.

However, I'd be mad not to admit that the games show aren't significant and barring something going freakishly wrong, will sell a Galactic Fuckton of 3DSes.

Its a shame the writer of the Yahoo article is unable to perceive that. Nintendo did good last night, even if on a personal level some might find the selection lackluster, the games they shown were a successful move.

kevinski

Banned
Out in public, I don't see many (if any) kids with dedicated gaming handhelds. They're generally playing with their parents (or their own) phones. It's apparent that gaming companies need to make some sort of changes, as it's less a matter of their platforms being good and more a matter of their platforms being versatile. While I don't take gaming on my phone very seriously, I don't own a dedicated MP3 player because my phone handles music and podcasts to my liking.

Nintendo needs to partner with a reputable smartphone developers in order to have its products exposed to a larger market. There's nothing stopping Nintendo from developing its own handhelds, but it's stupid to leave smartphone users out of the equation. Also, as I've mentioned in another thread, Nintendo really needs to cater more to people who'd rather pay less for games with less depth, rather than just relying on brand recognition to sell games at $30-40 a pop.

That isn't to say that games aren't worth $30-40 to some people, but Steam's an excellent example of how cutting a game's price by 75% or more can result in far more revenue than waiting for maybe 5% of a user base to buy a game at full price.

Bulzeeb

Elginer said:
Yahoo is smoking that good shit, I mean holy crap. I was blown away with just the amount of games presented by Nintendo and this is just the start. There's at least 7 games I want and I just got the damn thing. What the hell is going on people???

yesterday i was convinced to buy a 3DS, the only thing maiking me wait is the second analog thing, i'll wait for a redesing :p

duckroll

Foffy said:

- Nintendo gets a main entry of the Dragon Quest series on their platform (Wii/Wii U), but they're doomed.
- Nintendo gets a main entry of the Monster Hunter series on their platform (3DS), but they're doomed.

What the fuck else do they need? I thought both of those franchises are currently THE franchises Japan is in love with that Nintendo doesn't own.

Generally, the consensus seems to be that by remaining a company which is only interested in the traditional game business model (hardware consoles and software games), Nintendo is not going to grow and they are limiting themselves in a bold new world of social media and mobile gaming.

Investors are less likely to be mad with Sony or Microsoft because they have many other and more diverse businesses. With Nintendo, it's a game company that basically got way bigger than anyone would have expected, and hence they now expect the company to evolve and expand into other businesses.

PotatoeMasher said:
I'm not trying to troll and I'm not even completely comfortable with this myself (I barely lurk the gaming side and see much of the sentiment in this thread repeated), but there seems to be a lot of denial from hardcore gamers about how disruptive iOS has been for the old model.

This has nothing to do specifically with Angry Birds or Farmville—it's about expensive and limited dedicated devices that empower the hardware manufacturer more than either consumer or developers. Android / iOS expose traditional handhelds and consoles as a horrible value for both developers and consumers. Once they match the gameplay experience (and they will eventually), there's no reason for dedicated game devices.

It's about charging 40 dollars for every and all games on the system. It's about their almost non existent and overpriced digital distribution platform. There's NO reason Plants vs Zombies should cost 6 bucks on the 3DS when it's 99c on iOS. None.

Adapt or die. I'm not saying start porting for iOS. Because that's suicide for Nintendo. But they have GOT to embrace the markets they wish to sell their games in. They need to have top tier 40 dollar Mario games. But they ALSO need to create an "app store ecosystem" that supports smaller, independent developers to quickly and cheaply port their iOS offerings to a NINTENDO system for maximize exposure. Just like iOS started and games were on that and slowly we see those same games on Android. What needs to happen now is seeing those games on iOS, Android, *and* the 3DS.

StickSoldier said:
Thanks Duckroll. Shit was getting annoying as hell.

Not seeing a problem does not mean it's not there you know.

What is funny is that on a scale of 0 to 100 in the mainstream media Nintendo is perceived as 0, or close to 0, while Applie is 100, or close to 100.

Methinks Nintendo should adapt ASAP.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Nintendo needs to stop focusing on the core and casual gamers and focus on the analyst gamers. This is the next blue ocean!

farnham

Banned
duckroll said:
Generally, the consensus seems to be that by remaining a company which is only interested in the traditional game business model (hardware consoles and software games), Nintendo is not going to grow and they are limiting themselves in a bold new world of social media and mobile gaming.

Investors are less likely to be mad with Sony or Microsoft because they have many other and more diverse businesses. With Nintendo, it's a game company that basically got way bigger than anyone would have expected, and hence they now expect the company to evolve and expand into other businesses.
love hotels, taxis and love testers! also hanafuda cards! its them futre!

The people comenting that nintendo is doomed are old farts who wanna spend 200 on a console and 0-1 dollars per game for their sons.

Cheapskates.

(´・_・`)

Foffy said:

Seriously, it seems that every major game that they get isn't enough. These games DO sell consoles, and that's what they are going to do. Mario Kart, Mario Land, Monhon 3g + 4, RE:R, KH3D, and plenty of more games coming out that will push the console.

This reminds me of that one article some mom wrote about how Sony won E3 because her son (the gaming expert) was going to sell his 360 to buy a PS3 so he could play MGS4.

I think the control dock thingy is a bit of a blunder but who cares? If people want to play KH, MonHun, RE, MGS, etc. they'll buy it. And there's totally a market for those games.

Remember back in the 90s? There were Game Boys and ALL the rest like Lynx, Game Gear etc. The rest was pretty much invisible, non-existant to mainstream media. If they noticed them then only to say they suck.

Now Apple is like Nintendo in the 90s when it comes to handhelds. Everything else but iPhones and iPads sucks according to the press.

Derrick01

Banned
More farmville?

Fuck off with that shit. That's not an acceptable alternative to Nintendo games, or anything really. What the fuck?

Calion

confused said:
It would be glorious. They can port pretty much everything up to the N64 era to mobile phones and sell them for a few bucks and make billions. Open themselves up to a new avenue of income while keeping Newly developed titles exclusive to their own consoles.

I would gladly support this.

yurinka

I agree that 3DS won't match DS lifetime sales and that 3DS will loose a huge market share against Vita and mobile phones. I also agree that WiiU will sell less LTD than current HD consoles and maybe even less than PS4/X720.

But Nintendo still will be supported by their millions of fans and will see good profit. Not as insanely huge as they had with DS and Wii, but way better than other companies.

After the pricecut and the 2nd analog, now 3DS just need games that sell a lot. In Japan is going to have 2 Monster Hunters, and worldwide is going to have Mario and Mario Kart soon. These statements like the one quoted in the OP are stupid as it was "PSP is a failure".

StickSoldier said:
Seriously, it seems that every major game that they get isn't enough. These games DO sell consoles, and that's what they are going to do. Mario Kart, Mario Land, Monhon 3g + 4, RE:R, KH3D, and plenty of more games coming out that will push the console.
I agree with Mario games, but Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter only sell a lot of games and consoles in Japan. RE and KH sell well but don't move consoles.

Meier

When Mario 3DS and Mario Kart 7 sell 2-3 million copies a piece this Christmas in the US and in turn make that of a few hundred million copies of Angry Birds make, what will analysts say then?

VariantX

I feel like I need to take crazy pills or something because I read all these crazy articles. It's as if anything other than complete market domination by nintendo is somehow viewed as a failure from the investors point if view.

StevieP

Banned
Mammoth Jones said:
Read it. And if you think Wii Fit, Wii Music..etc are meant to appeal to core gamers then you and I simply disagree as to the definition of "core" gamer.

Let's just leave it at that.

1/6th. 1/6th is a number. 12/65 is a number.

More farmville?

Fuck off with that shit. That's not an acceptable alternative to Nintendo games, or anything really. What the fuck?

farmville_pacman_mario_WHY_DO_FARMVILLERS_HAVE_THIS_MUCH_FREE_TIME_WHYYYYYY1-s400x400-109357.jpg

Linkup

After watching the conference I was reminded of just how many mega hits Nintendo has between Wii/DS and all their other franchises. This thing could surely flop, but it's the games that count and they are going to have them in spades, in the multi-million seller type of spades.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Meier said:
When Mario 3DS and Mario Kart 7 sell 2-3 million copies a piece this Christmas in the US and in turn make that of a few hundred million copies of Angry Birds make, what will analysts say then?

Fad. Would have reached greater audience on iOS. Temporary success on a dying platform. Core gaming's last breath. iOS total 'sales' out performed 3DS. No Mario titles in the near future to save Nintendo. Why does Nintendo hate money, bring it to iOS too. etc

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Watch the WiiU lose the buttons, and have the console itself stuffed into the controller. Voila - Nintendo Tablet!

Sure, it would be nice if Nintendo (and others) price games more variably. It would be nice if Nintendo opened up development. It also would be very nice if Nintendo made more use out of online functionality, and sure why not, social media.

The thing that I'd never accept though, are the loss of physical buttons, and the loss of "traditional" games.

Boney

Banned
Amir0x said:
None of this, sorry, none of your games period you listed are going to draw in new gamers. Half of them are lazy efforts to capitalize on past successes; most of them will just fail to have broad appeal altogether.

These are not big ideas, these are limpdicked ideas of someone out of ideas. 3DS will be the victor by default, but not because of these games. Because it's $169.99 while Vita is $249.99, and it'll never be as successful as DS or close because it just is old hat ideas. Nintendo is out of fresh ideas.

They're just lucky Sony still doesn't get it and that there is still any market for deeper games yet.
I'm not sure why you think that just because it's a sequel to a pre existing game it won't be able to drive up hardware, by both getting people who enjoyed the prequel and new gamers.

It can work like a Nintendogs type scenario, where many different factors played against it, or work like Rhythm Tengoku Gold where it's sequel more than quadrupled the sales if the original. A sequel can indeed bring in new people, but I understand what you means that none of this games will serve as a sole catalyst to expand the userbase like the first Nintendogs did.

The only games that have had that selling power have been Nintendogs, Brain Age, Wii Sports and Wii Fit really, but I don't understand why you're dismissing them outright.

yurinka

EvilMario said:
Fad. Would have reached greater audience on iOS. Temporary success on a dying platform. Core gaming's last breath. iOS total 'sales' out performed 3DS. No Mario titles in the near future to save Nintendo. Why does Nintendo hate money, bring it to iOS too. etc
You missed a couple of sentences:
Mario in iOS would have looses because selling some hundreds of thousands of PAID $0.99 copies isn't enough to pay games with this budget. Only casual shovelware will move from portables to phones, because bigger games only can monetize with this business model, need proper controls and a certain game size barely acceptable for 8GB devices.
BroHuffman said:
Not sure I get the farmville = pokemon comparison. Care to explain?
Insane profits and hundreds of million people playing them, I think.

Top Bottom