• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just updated to Android Oreo...what happened to the Emojis?!?!?

HardRojo

Emojis are truly one of mankind's greatest achievements in the development of daily communication. Future cultures will study the History of the Emoji. Hopefully they won't watch that stupid movie.

How come there still isn't an easy way of choosing whichever emoji set we want? After this change only facebook messenger will have any decent ones left. Forced crappy emojis are my number one reason for not using WhatsApp unless I absolutely have to.

Nowise10

I've always used Iphone and have been jealous of android users because of the blobs.

I hate hyper-realistic emojies. They're ugly as fuck. Emojies are supposed to be cute, which the blobs accomplished perfectly.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
They were the best.

P9VH5Ys.jpg
they were so full of character :(

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'm slowly getting used to the new Oreo emoji, but the blobs are still there on Hangouts for web and it's like seeing an old friend. I love my blobs. 😢

Engell

😐😑😣😥😮😫😛😒😓😔😕😲��😞😟😤😢😭😦😧😨😩😬😰😱😵😡😠

You know that second part isn't a bad thing, right?

You know we aren't all gender neutral yellow people right? So those fighting for neutral blobs weren't any better represented than literally every other minority. So I don't see why it matters if emoticons have genders and race.

Fox Mulder

You know that second part isn't a bad thing, right?

Yes it is. They were simple yellow blobs and already gender and race neutral. Having 12 wizard emojis to cover all races and genders is a step back in design and clutters everything.

I'm not a racist asshole or anything.

Jeffrey

At least you can get them back with root. Or allos lol.

Otherwise gotta break out the Japanese keyboards like the old days.

(ง˘ω˘)ว

Any non iOS emoji are pretty much garbage
No, emoji's are all getting worse because for reasons of consistency they all mimic Apple's/whatsapps fugly ones.

If we need to have more generic emoji's, I vastly prefer the Facebook messenger ones than the iOS ones for example. There's still some personality and cuteness in them.

For example, you can basically only use the iOS animal emoji's to mean the animal itself. The frog means you're talking about frogs. However, the frog in Facebook messenger for example, seems to smile in a naughty way, so you can use it to convey an emotion in a sentence that has nothing to do with frogs. And the Google emoji's were similar to that. They had character and were multifunctional to make a conversation more colorful.

Mr_Zombie

Does any better emoji exist?

36c67cf603670d027a5a2ed3b04f81a6.png

No, it does not.

One uses only two colors and looks good in all sizes.
The other uses gradients, shadows, highlights, faux emboss, coloured borders (the brows alone has more colors and effects than the whole blob emoji) to express exactly the same thing.

Yeah, iOS emoticons are shit. And it gets even worse when we start comparing items or animals, that are overly realistic and too detailed on iOS.

whitehawk

Banned
That was my reaction when I used web Allo recently.

So sad 😭😭😭😭

ಥ_ಥ
o(╥﹏╥)o
。゜(`Д´)゜。

PaulloDEC

The other uses gradients, shadows, highlights, faux emboss, coloured borders (the brows alone has more colors and effects than the whole blob emoji) to express exactly the same thing.

Yeah, iOS emoticons are shit. And it gets even worse when we start comparing items or animals, that are overly realistic and too detailed on iOS.

Seriously, why do people like this shit? There is so much unnecessary crap going on in that icon, and half of it clashes with the other half.

The blobs look like someone actually thought about what they were going to do before they started doing it. There's a particular style to them that remains consistent throughout the whole set, and they keep the overall visual simple, as it ought to be.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wow, these new ones really do look like 3rd grade copy of iOS ones. Blobs were at least ... not a 3rd grade copy of an established standard.

l2ounD

I want my beautiful blobs back. ��

AND LOOK WHAT THEY’VE DONE TO THE ANIMALS!!! MY GOOD SWEET TURTLE FRIEND IS DEAD!!! ☠️
kIELraz.png

RrPDvC0.png

I feel sad for the artist who had to knowingly make an inferior turtle to appease their boss

Soodanim

Gold Member
The Oreo ones remind me of bad art in old children's books from the 80s/90s. Terrible stuff. Someone somewhere okayed these.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They ruined them.

I sort of understand the reasoning (emoji should look consistent across devices and OSs), but man do they look like shit. Really miss the blobs.

lord pie

The whole Oreo update seems to be a bit of a visual mess honestly (on a 5X).

The icons, a consistent Google weakness, are just all over the place now. Some of the stock icons are round, some are square or rounded rectangles, some are floating icons, some are floating in a blank rectangle. The clock (ultimate example of Google icon WTF) is now a blue circle on a dark gray rectangle... It's a mess.

The shade is also much less readable I find, with color shading removed - it's all bright white now. Plus they properly killed night mode :mad:

Some things are material design, some are flat, some do their own thing. Color schemes are all over too.

And finally they decide to give up their one truly creative design achievement in their emojis.. sigh.

I miss Windows phone 8.1 so much.

The whole Oreo update seems to be a bit of a visual mess honestly (on a 5X).

The icons, a consistent Google weakness, are just all over the place now. Some of the stock icons are round, some are square or rounded rectangles, some are floating icons, some are floating in a blank rectangle. The clock (ultimate example of Google icon WTF) is now a blue circle on a dark gray rectangle... It's a mess.

The shade is also much less readable I find, with color shading removed - it's all bright white now. Plus they properly killed night mode :mad:

Some things are material design, some are flat, some do their own thing. Color schemes are all over too.

And finally they decide to give up their one truly creative design achievement in their emojis.. sigh.

I miss Windows phone 8.1 so much.
Pretty much all of the UI changes in Oreo are straight-up regressions. Take ambient display for example: before it was basically just a black and white version of the lock screen, displaying full notification information. In Oreo, it just shows the time and a bunch of tiny meaningless glyphs underneath. Utterly pointless now.

Ended up downgrading until someone fixes all of this shit.

Blobs were the best I will miss them forever.

I use Textra for my SMS app because it allows you to set the emoji, so I set them to the blobs.

I really just wish Android would let you set the emoji on the system level. You can do it so easily if you have root. Too bad root is harder to do these days.

Nikodemos

The iOS emoji is overdesigned, overcomplex, and ultimately soulless.

Y'know, it kinda fits the platform....

Harmen

I really dislike the current iteratìon on Whatsapp/Apple, to the poin where I often just use letters. We basically only use Whatsapp here so I'll have to stick with those. But these new android ones are probably even worse.

The best scenario would be the ability to pick and send smileys from several different sets (and the receiver seeing the one you sent), surely that would be possible with todays tech...

Top Bottom