• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - Review Thread

UrbanRats

My feeling coming out of some conversations a few weeks ago is that some expectation exists for us to innovate or bring something new to the mechanics with each installment. I haven't read through all the reviews yet, so I don't know how pervasive that anecdotal feedback was.

I think it's perfectly fine to not innovate on every installation, especially since this is a DLC of sorts.
I also think that you have to take your lack of innovation when considering what scores you'll get, because a review score ultimately reflects the general experience with the game, and of course seeing "old tricks", even if incredibly well polished, it's just not gonna dazzle as much as new tricks will.

The fact that Resident Evil 5 polished up the gameplay of Resident Evil 4, doesn't mean it'll impress as much as that one did, when it came out, and that's gonna be reflected in review scores.

I don't think it's weird at all, seems pretty natural, in fact.

Doesn't mean devs should obsess with innovating at every turn either, not every game should aim to be a 10 (whatever that means) or reinvent the wheel.

Not to mention, trying to be innovative also comes with a lot of risk, as that's where you find a lot of shitty games, too.

Very excited! I imagine most of the criticism is that it feels samey, which I'm fine with. Just keen to dive back into the Uncharted universe :) Bring on whatever day it releases here!

Oh man I can't wait for UNCHARTED: The Misadventures of Victor "GODDAMN" Sullyvan.

Do it Sony!

I'm really surprised that's what The Lost Legacy wasn't in the first place. Sully deserves his own title far more than anyone else in the series. His conclusion wasn't very satisfying and I wonder what would've happened to him in Henig's version.

There was a set piece I rememeber mentioned getting cut in Uncharted 4. Anyone know if this has it or a similar type of one they were aiming for?

silva1991

Killing people while winking

zjcqouxlowxxlzin8pa4.png

Nate is dethroned and we have a new psychopath in town lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Of course it's his opinion and it's fine. I'm just thinking about how I would react if I would be the developer. Probably doing this: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ and scream to the screen "what the f' do you want us to do??"

It's just bizarre that he almost likes everything, says almost everything is better as in 4 and still gives it an 8.

It's fine, his opinion. But it's just bizarre to me. Nothing wrong about that.
Still great to read.

Knew I shouldn't have put a number at the end of that post because it'd attract stuff like this :p First of all 8 is a really good score. I do think it's a lot better than U4, but I wasn't a big fan of that entry in the first place. TLL takes the strongest elements of all the previous games, but the downside is that it feels like very familiar ground. It's a great Uncharted game, but we've done this before. I feel like that's a fair criticism.

TitusTroy

sounds like more of the same (for better or worse)...not enough to redeem Uncharted 4 (which wasn't a bad game but not the game I was expecting...disappointing yet fun)

JusDoIt

I was expecting Strong scores, not Mighty scores, since there seems to be Uncharted fatigue among reviewers. I'm surprised.

Dadasch

My feeling coming out of some conversations a few weeks ago is that some expectation exists for us to innovate or bring something new to the mechanics with each installment. I haven't read through all the reviews yet, so I don't know how pervasive that anecdotal feedback was.
They can and should have this expectation, but this is "just" a Standalone-Expansion for an existing game with considerably less development time.
I think it's pretty ridiculous to have these expectation in this case.

That said we expect great things for TLoU2. :p

arne

They can and should have this expectation, but this is "just" a Standalone-Expansion for an existing game with considerably less development time.
I think it's pretty ridiculous to have these expectation in this case.

That said we expect great things for TLoU2. :p

Yeah I guess that's what I meant - in relation to developing a game top to bottom within a year, with the aim of focusing as much as possible on the things that felt good gameplay, etc. We have new things, but the newness comes from being a further iteration or evolution of mechanics, etc., that worked well in the past. It's more subtle, I guess.

Anyway, wasn't really a critique of what I had heard, just more relating some of the chatter.

Gurish

I now feel dumb missing out on the season pass back than, I'm not interested in online and I didn't feel like spending money on online related stuff, I thought that they will sell the DLC separately at a lower price in the future but I was obviously very wrong.

Oh well gonna buy at full price what can you do.

Any word about performance on a regular PS4? someone in the other thread who has it said it is all over the place Probably exaggerated but I would like if someone can clarify.

winstano

Any word on length?

About 10-12 hours :)

Any word about performance on a regular PS4? someone in the other thread who has it said it is all over the place Probably exaggerated but I would like if someone can clarify.

Performance is great on both standard and Pro - the Pro enhancements are more effects based than frame rate bumps, and it looks absolutely spectacular. Our reviewer said that "There were points it sounded like my PS4 was going to take off, but performance was solid"

Gurish

To be fair, most DLCs get lower(many times much lower) than the main game.

But man, Left Behind was so so so fucking good.

It was incredible and I felt like the level of content was just as good as the main game so it should have gotten the same kind of scores in my eyes but for some weird reason critics always give lower scores for DLCs.

DieH@rd

Banned
I have finished it in 8 hours (on normal, sligtly rushing to finish review before NDA dropped), it's a trully great Uncharted game.

Sygma

Its funny, when you re reading most of the franchise's veterans who kept pointing at the set pieces "not as good as Uncharted 2" or whatever, Naughty Dog is actually answering to that and now the press is like "yeah it feels too much like Uncharted 2, but with 4's graphics"

I mean isn't it exactly what most people wanted ? meaner set pieces even if it has already been done in previous games ?

I don't know I must be one of the rare ones who felt absolutely crazy happy in all the big action sequences of 4. Some of them were really just stupid good. + not running through a crumbling lost city for the big finale was also very welcomed

Top Bottom